Care to explain your avatar?

• I have really been curious about some of the avatars found in the forums. As you can see, at this point I have none myself. If you would like, please post replies to this thread and explain the meaning/origin of your avatar.

Some I am curious about especially:

(I hope the forum picks these up - if not, sorry!)

I see that the Firefox girl was recently explained. I wondered what it was before. Some of these are obvious as to what they are, so feel free to tell why they are. Others are hard to tell what they are because they are small.

• Mine is from "Hsu and Chan" out of Playstation Magazine.

• My screen name is dhromed. Sometimes Jeremy Llewiff, an anagram of my real name.

Hence the 'dh'.

The little cube is pure Photoshop. Fiddling with the pen tool and guides.

The two brackets are decoration.

Actually, the cube is decoration, too.

And the font, also.

Come to think of it, 'dh' isn't really descriptive, so that could be decoration too.

Hell.

It's an icon.

Get off my case.

• @dhromed said:

It's very nice
    @dhromed said:

Get off my case.

Done!

• @R.Flowers said:

@dhromed said:

It's very nice

Why thank you.

• I think I know about the Woo Woo icon. There was a news report video floating around the net talking about a new trend of muffler whistles. The fellow pictured was interviewed, and said something really funny, like "Naw Man, I just lawv da Muffla whistles, dey not a Botha! Dey go Woo! Woo!, and its all funn, see?"

• Mine's really easy, and not nearly as creative as dhromed's.  My
    user name is sinistral, which means 'from the left' or 'left
    handed.'  Ever since I've discovered the word, I've liked it,
    because I myself am left handed.  The avatar is simply a human
    left hand I found using Google Images and edited to make the message
    board software happy as to size and format.

• My avatar just came recently. It is from the whale on the moon southpark episode. It's the character sketch of kenny. I have the others too if anyone wants them.

•     Mine is just my favorite internet activity :)

• @Alex Papadimoulis said:

I think I know about the Woo Woo icon. There was a news report video floating around the net talking about a new trend of muffler whistles. The fellow pictured was interviewed, and said something really funny, like "Naw Man, I just lawv da Muffla whistles, dey not a Botha! Dey go Woo! Woo!, and its all funn, see?"

The fellow in question was named Bub Rubb (sp?) and he certainly was quite fond of the whistles.

When the reporter asked whether or not the whistles would be a nuisance early in the morning, his response (the one part of the interview I really remember well) went like this: "Naw man, dass only in da moanin'.  You oughtta be up cookin breffist o' somebody."

Classic

• @sinistral said:

Mine's really easy, and not nearly as creative as dhromed's.  My user name is sinistral, which means 'from the left' or 'left handed.'  Ever since I've discovered the word, I've liked it, because I myself am left handed.  The avatar is simply a human left hand I found using Google Images and edited to make the message board software happy as to size and format.

Looks like a right hand to me.  Why would you pick a left-hand-if-you-are-looking-OUT-of-the-computer icon?  Silly.

• @ItsAllGeekToMe said:

@sinistral said:

Mine's really easy, and not nearly as creative as dhromed's.  My user name is sinistral, which means 'from the left' or 'left handed.'  Ever since I've discovered the word, I've liked it, because I myself am left handed.  The avatar is simply a human left hand I found using Google Images and edited to make the message board software happy as to size and format.

Looks like a right hand to me.  Why would you pick a left-hand-if-you-are-looking-OUT-of-the-computer icon?  Silly.

Gee, when I look at the palm of my left hand, the thumb is on the left-hand side. Does yours work differently?

• @Stan Rogers said:

@ItsAllGeekToMe said:

[quote
    user="sinistral"]Mine's really easy, and not nearly as creative as
    dhromed's.  My user name is sinistral, which means 'from the left'
    or 'left handed.'  Ever since I've discovered the word, I've liked
    it, because I myself am left handed.  The avatar is simply a human
    left hand I found using Google Images and edited to make the message
    board software happy as to size and format.

Gee, when I look at the palm of my left hand, the thumb is on the left-hand side. Does yours work differently?
    [/quote]

As Stan Rogers correctly pointed out, you're looking at the palm side of the image, in which case the thumb does point toward the left.

• @Stan Rogers said:

@ItsAllGeekToMe said:

@sinistral said:

Your sarcasm is biting.

Looks like the imprint of a right hand to me as you look into the screen.  Which is of course the correct way to do it.  Unless you always talk about rights and lefts as one would look out of a monitor.  That must get confusing.

• @ItsAllGeekToMe said:

Your sarcasm is biting.

Looks like the imprint of a right hand to me as you look into the screen.  Which is of course the correct way to do it.  Unless you always talk about rights and lefts as one would look out of a monitor.  That must get confusing.

There is a correct way to display a left hand as an avatar? Amazing.

Perhaps he should just replace it with "LEFT HANDED" in red?

• @Richard Nixon said:

@ItsAllGeekToMe said:

Your sarcasm is biting.

There is a correct way to display a left hand as an avatar? Amazing.

Perhaps he should just replace it with "LEFT HANDED" in red?

Wow, I never thought my avatar would generate so much discussion, even flames!  It's not an imprint, although I can see how might interpret it in that fashion.  It's simply a gray drawing.  Think of the monitor as a literal window in a house, and a person is on the outside, looking at you on the inside.  They put their palm to the window, and thus you get the type of image you see.

• I was going to say, "Is this better?" after I found a nifty MC Escher
    print that I used to have.  There's nothing to compare to any
    more, since the forum software changes all previous postings to
    whatever that user's current avatar is.  That's an interesting
    feature, an unexpected one, but I guess it makes sense.

• Take a wild guess as to what my avatar is.

• @sinistral said:

I was going to say, "Is this better?" after I found a nifty MC Escher
    print that I used to have.  There's nothing to compare to any
    more, since the forum software changes all previous postings to
    whatever that user's current avatar is.  That's an interesting
    feature, an unexpected one, but I guess it makes sense.

It would be sort of a waste if a forum saved avatar setting with each post.

Though I suppose if Livejournal does it, why not?

• @GoatCheez said:

My avatar just came recently. It is from the whale on the moon southpark episode. It's the character sketch of kenny. I have the others too if anyone wants them.

You mean the character sketch of Cartman?

• @sinistral said:

It is indeed a left hand. It's the central section of a drawing by M.C. Escher "hand and sphere" in which the artist drew his own hand holding a glass sphere before then drawing the entire room inside the sphere including the artist drawing his own hand holding a ...

• @jwenting said:

@sinistral said:

It is indeed a left hand. It's the central section of a drawing by M.C. Escher "hand and sphere" in which the artist drew his own hand holding a glass sphere before then drawing the entire room inside the sphere including the artist drawing his own hand holding a ...

Yes, the Escher image my new avatar.  The original one was a drawing from the 'Net that showed a left hand, or, at least, most of us (including myself) agreed it was a left hand.  Hence the discussion back and forth above about whether my avatar was/wasn't a left hand.  I'd try to include that image here, but I don't want to press my luck withe the forum software.

• @sinistral said:

Although I imagine you know this,  the image you use is a work by M.C. Escher, whose work is mostly about Math, or aspects of math, that relate to patterns of abstractions or concepts which experience transformations, and/or are self-referential in some way.

There's a great book by Douglas Hofstadter (won the Pulitzer I believe) called Godel, Escher and Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid, that relates the self-referential & transformational  nature of Escher's works to similar characteristics in Bach's musical compositions, and both of those to the fundemental idea of Kurt Godel's famous incompleteness theorem.

• @Bullet said:

Although I imagine you know this,  the image you use is a work by M.C. Escher, whose work is mostly about Math, or aspects of math, that relate to patterns of abstractions or concepts which experience transformations, and/or are self-referential in some way.

Yes, yes, we all know Escher. GEB's where most of us got our basic LisP, and Hofstaedter's works, such as GEB, Metamagical Themas and The Mind's I are staples among AI enthusiasts -- but at the time of that writing, Sinistral's avatar was a simple pencil drawing of a left hand. The Escher reflecting globe came later, and since the avatar is a single, global entity (that is, the avatar of the moment is not stored with the post's data), it has replaced the simpler drawing in the earlier posts.

• This is my avatar:

Of course, the forum software WTFs on animated gifs in your avatar (probably a content-type issue), and remote linking is disabled, so you just get the first frame, without transparent pixels. In case you can't tell, it's a monkey spanking himself; I'm sure you get the double-entendre. However, I often use a signature phrase "Bad code-monkey! No banana!", so it's a triple-entendre. Ish.

Also, I can explain the third image; it's a screen-cap from one of the greatest PC games of all time, Prince of Persia 2, sequel to an equally great predecessor, Prince of Persia.

Yes, I've just dated myself. Now get off my lawn!!!!

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.