Consider the following statistic

•  

Where I am working we are using ANSI-C. Unfortunatly all code is Top-secret, so I cannot share any snippet. Instead I have a little statistic: 

4300 Lines (incl. comments etc.)

100 #if. #ifdef, #ifndef
      10 #else
      100 #endif

300 newline}newline
     300 newline{newline
     700 comment only lines
     500 empty lines

Well, this is not a module, this is a single function. Which my Ex-Boss wanted to have written just in this way. I have written it, I have added stuff over the years, maintained it, and I can say that the code is surprinsingly bugfree. (Well, I did write lots of other things as well, but nothing so WTF.)

After more than five years my Ex-Boss wanted me to add a new feature. (Sorry, everything is top-secret, can't talk about what it is...) I said, piece of cake, two or three days, depending, on how exacly I would do it, no problem. He told me how to do it, and I said: "Oh no! hat way it will take a month!"  Well actually, I was wrong, it took me more like three months to write it, and to debug it, and I am not too sure it works at all. That was when I went to the next level boss and said: I am sure not going to write code any longer. They found me a better job inside the company, which is why I am still staying there.

• TRWTF is your boss dictated to you how to code the application, if he wants the underlying code to be like that he should've wrote it himself. Off-topic: Firefox doesn't think "should've" is a word, yet suggests "could've" and "would've".

•  Well, my ex-boss did not only value our input, he did really love it. He loves making a concept. But he loves nothing more than discussing a technical detail for hours, all the while disregarding any argument,comon sense, etc. So after a few hours he remained victorious, when the counterpart gave up exhaused. 

What he did not like, was to maintain whatever he wrote, and he never documented or tested his stuff.

• I'd say a 2290-useful-lines function is a WTF.

(you didn't say how many lines were #includes and type/variable declarations, but still...)

• @No longer a coder said:

Well, my ex-boss did not only value our input, he did really love it. He loves making a concept. But he loves nothing more than discussing a technical detail for hours, all the while disregarding any argument,comon sense, etc. So after a few hours he remained victorious, when the counterpart gave up exhaused. 

What he did not like, was to maintain whatever he wrote, and he never documented or tested his stuff.

I had an old boss like this. He took a decent project and turned it into plate of hatch-n-patch as he maintained things. He never kept track of what he did and didn't document his changes and who he gave them to, so when I was given responsibility over it, I never can tell who had what, and such. Every support visit took much longer than it should have because the company didn't keep things organized. I'm so glad is it much better with the company I work for now. Then I realize how good I really have it.

• @Zecc said:

I'd say a 2290-useful-lines function is a WTF.

(you didn't say how many lines were #includes and type/variable declarations, but still...)

No #include ... these were per module. 

Well, there are a lot of variable declaration lines, plus writing initial values to them. Unfortunatly I did not count them when I switched, and now I have no longer access.

And I agree - it should have never happened this way.