Halifax Bank Security

• I went into the main Halifax bank in the city center to get some cash out over the counter as I'd messed up my pin number 3 times in the machine the previous night. It didn't keep my card, it just blocked it so when I got home I requested a new pin in the mail. I headed to the counter with my card in hand and some ID in my pocket. I explained how I'd put the wrong pin in 3 times the previous night and that I'd like some cash to carry me over till my new pin arrives. She says how much and I state a few hundred pounds, the maximum amount I can get on my card in a single day almost. She says sure, sign this. I sign the slip and she counts the money out and hands it over. Here is a list of the current WTFs (besides me monging up my pin 3x):

• Asked me for no ID besides my now debunct card
    • Got me to sign the slip but didn't compare it to anything since I actually haven't signed the back of my card yet
    • She didn't notice the card wasn't signed
    • Given me the cash with no security questions what so ever

"Have a nice day"

Then as my mind is boggling at these things and I'm about to leave she says "I noticed that you didn't respond to our letter about changing your account to a higher rate one, would you like to speak to my co-worker about that?". I remembered the letter from a few months ago and thought I might as well take care of it then. I go to a tiny office with him (her co-worker) who (with zero interest) states why my current account sucks and how the higher rate one is miles better. I actually looked behind me since he was staring into space over my shoulder and I thought he was reading it off a cue sheet stuck to the wall. When he'd finished and I'd checked that it was all pluses with no negatives I said I'd switch my account.

This is when the WTFs start with him. He asks for my card and taps the account number in. Then he prints out all my details, my name, DOB, address, phone numbers and a slew of other details. Then he slides it across the table and asks me to double check all my details are correct. At this point I could be any mugger off the street and I now have several hundred pounds and the full details of who I just mugged plus I've just changed their account. I'm fairly sure I could of closed the account and withdrawn my funds in full and probably not of been security challenged at all.

Two days later I get a letter about how I should stop using their phone banking service and switch to using their ultra secure online service...

• Nominated for the front page... 

• They have your picture, or maybe they made you swallow a RFID at some point, that's how they recognize you.

<orth. bitchin> 

Also, you wrote "I could of closed the account". Should be "I could have closed the account".

</orth. bitchin> 

• Not that it alleviates all the WTFery here, but my bank stores an image of my signature which they compare against everything I sign.

• @Kiss me I'm Polish said:

... or maybe they made you swallow a RFID at some point, that's how they recognize you.

They, my friend, are way ahead of you already.

• @PSWorx said:

Nominated for the front page... 

Seconded. That is a pretty big WTF. Banks usually require all sorts of info in order to create an account, it seems that provided you're not trying to set an account up you can pretty much do what you like!

• I've never given them a picture of myself, maybe they have sneakily hidden cameras at each of their counters that I never noticed but I would of thought they'd have to ask me before storing that.  I guess they don't ask for permission when they take pictures of people on their ATMs.  I still would of prefered a bit more security than her comparing me to a photo they might of taken at some unknown point in time.  At least when I use their phone banking service they give me a real quiz; "What's your date of birth?", "What's your full address?", "Can you list some recent transactions you made", "What's Pi to 100 decimal places?" :¬)

The other funny thing was that I didn't actually sign my signature, I drew a big circle with a cross through it, sort of like the X-Men symbol.  I thought she'd catch that and realise she'd slipped up in the security department.  On the bright side; she was bright and cheerful whilst giving me the cash :¬)

• @Tann San said:

On the bright side; she was bright and cheerful whilst giving me the cash :¬)

<Obligatory>

But did she look like Irish Girl? We need pictures damnit!

</Obligatory>

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

But did she look like Irish Girl? We need pictures damnit!

Somebody placed some pictures on the front page comments under the one that shows the process viewer.

• @pitchingchris said:

Somebody placed some pictures on the front page comments under the one that shows the process viewer.

I never wade into the front page comments anymore, except for MFD.  I would have totally missed that.  You deserve a freaking medal.

• @PhillS said:

@PSWorx said:

Seconded.

Thirdeded. 

• @SpoonMeiser said:

@PhillS said:

@PSWorx said:

Seconded.

Thirdeded. 

Fifthed.

@SpoonMeiser said:

@PhillS said:

@PSWorx said:

Seconded.

Thirdeded. 

Fifthed.

Fourthded 

• @Kiss me I'm Polish said:

<orth. bitchin> 

Also, you wrote "I could of closed the account". Should be "I could have closed the account".

</orth. bitchin> 

I know, this gets me too.  It is "would have", "could have", "should have".  Most people say it with the contraction, "would've", "could've", "should've".  Then they forget this is a contraction and think it is the incorrect "would of", "could of", should of".

Just so I don't try to correct everyone all the time, whenever I see this I simply say to myself, "Ok I'm talking to an idiot in the grammer department" and move on. 

• Considered Harmful

@KattMan said:

@Kiss me I'm Polish said:

<orth. bitchin> 

</orth. bitchin> 

I know, this gets me too.  It is "would have", "could have", "should have".  Most people say it with the contraction, "would've", "could've", "should've".  Then they forget this is a contraction and think it is the incorrect "would of", "could of", should of".

Just so I don't try to correct everyone all the time, whenever I see this I simply say to myself, "Ok I'm talking to an idiot in the grammer department" and move on. 

It irks me when people spell "grammar" as "grammer."

• @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

I would suggest the same rule.  Assume I'm the idiot here and just move on.  Trying to correct every mistake is useless. 

• Being a foreigner, I kept wondering about these "could of" and "would of" and stuff. Thanks for clearing things up. Now I know my english teacher wasn't being a dickhead when he said it was "could have"... 

• @TheRider said:

Being a foreigner, I kept wondering about these "could of" and "would of" and stuff. Thanks for clearing things up. Now I know my english teacher wasn't being a dickhead when he said it was "could have"... 

n I thot it wuz all pedntriy. 

• Not to derail the grammar derailment, but at my old Credit Union, withdrawals worked like this:

Me: "Hi, I need to make a withdrawal of $300."

Teller: "Ok. What's your account number?"

Me: "5929"

Teller: "Are you Hank Smith?"

Me: "Yes."

Teller: "Here you are. Thanks for banking with us!"

It didn't take long for me to switch to a real bank. Though I guess I could still go back to the credit union when I'm short on cash. 

• I also happen to be an interpreter, doing simultaneous translations at the seminar an american friend of mine is giving to german speaking audiences. I wasn't really tricked...   ;-) 

And, yes, I find "could of" and "would of" quite annoying, too. 

• @superjer said:

Me: "Hi, I need to make a withdrawal of $300."

Teller: "Ok. What's your account number?"

Me: "5929"

Teller: "Are you Hank Smith?"

Me: "Yes."

Teller: "Here you are. Thanks for banking with us!"

ROFL -- This is great stuff.

• Is this HBOS? 

Maybe the staff recognised you?  If not and you wanted to make a fuss, you could buy some shares (they're cheap at the moment, hmph), get to the AGM and cause some trouble there.  I'm not saying I'd do that, but some might.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@upsidedowncreature said:

Is this HBOS? 
    Yes. Well part of.

• Speaking of credit union security... I absolutely refuse to do online banking with my credit union because their web site looks like it was designed by a fourth grader who wanted to try "all the pretty colors and letter styles!"... oh, and for "security reasons" they recommend you use IE or NETSCAPE?!? Um, THAT page must not have been updated in a while...

• Well, it's obvious, isn't it? Make an anagram of "halifax".

• @ekolis said:

http://www.cintelfcu.org/

That place deserves its own thread.  From the site:

@import url("images/CFCU_navigationbar6.css");

Think they want to import images/CFCU_navigationbar6.css? 

• @KattMan said:

@Kiss me I'm Polish said:

<orth. bitchin> 

</orth. bitchin> 

I know, this gets me too.

Gosh yes...the real WTF is that a Brit (I guess - don't think the Halifax have many branches outside the UK) had his grammar corrected by somebody claiming to be Polish, living in Belgium. Then again, I'm the kind of sad grammar fascist that rubs out grocer's apostrophes from chalkboards. (The thing that's really bugging me atm though is the number of restaurants that're offering "Paninis"...)

• @bstorer said:

Think they want to import images/CFCU_navigationbar6.css?

Additional gems:

@Page Source said:

.style212 {font-size: 12px}
    .style214 {font-size: 14px}
    .style215 {font-size: 16px}
    .style219 {font-size: 2px}
    .style221 {font-size: 11px}
    .style222 {font-size: 13px; }

Not an actual name to be seen!!

@Page Source said:

months = new Array(12); //this array will hold 12 elements
    days = new Array(7); //this array will hold 7 elements
    //set up a new date object - defaults to the current date
    currentDate = new Date();
    //get the date (1-31), day (1-7) and month (1-12) parts
    //The day & month arrays are 0 index based i.e. the first day/month has a value of 0 - so add 1 to match
    //the arrays created above.
    date = currentDate.getDate();
    day = currentDate.getDay();
    month = currentDate.getMonth();
    //Get the year part
    yy = currentDate.getFullYear();

Check it out! A mini-Javascript tutorial.

The whole thing reeks old-school, including the lack of appealing fonts and the use of the bumpy background.

@Page Source said:

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3059" name=GENERATOR>

TRWTF

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@Page Source said:
    months = new Array(12); //this array will hold 12 elements
    days = new Array(7); //this array will hold 7 elements
    //set up a new date object - defaults to the current date
    currentDate = new Date();
    //get the date (1-31), day (1-7) and month (1-12) parts
    //The day & month arrays are 0 index based i.e. the first day/month has a value of 0 - so add 1 to match
    //the arrays created above.
    date  = currentDate.getDate();
    day  = currentDate.getDay();
    month = currentDate.getMonth();
    //Get the year part
    yy = currentDate.getFullYear();

Check it out! A mini-Javascript tutorial.

You didn't even include the best part of the date code:

@Page Source said:

//a string to show the date in the form week-day day-number month, year
    l_sDisplayDate = " " + months[month] + " " + date + ", " + yy;

Hooray for comments that don't match the code! 

@AbbydonKrafts said:

@Page Source said:

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3059" name=GENERATOR>

TRWTF

Doesn't MSHTML 6.00.XXX mean that it was saved in IE6?  I'd say that's more of a WTF than if they had used FrontPage. 

• @bstorer said:

You didn't even include the best part of the date code:
    ..snip..
    Hooray for comments that don't match the code!

Oh yeah. I guess I glazed over that one.

@bstorer said:

Doesn't MSHTML 6.00.XXX mean that it was saved in IE6?  I'd say that's more of a WTF than if they had used FrontPage.

That's why I said "TRWTF". I can't fathom anyone doing that. They either use Word or FrontPage. I'll also point out that the tag is inserted even if the page was Saved from a published location to the local hard drive. So, they could've used Notepad to enter all that crap, but got a copy by saving it via IE6 while viewing the hosted version, but then didn't delete the META tag. It would still be TRWTF.

• I went into Nationwide the other day and whilst I was making my transactions a tramp came in and was speaking to the teller next to mine. He said that he'd lost his card and needed some money until the new one arrived, and he had one of those slips one gets upon paying in money as proof he was who he was. He was then asked for his surname and how much money he wanted. It wasn't even a case of the teller knowing him, as he mouthed to my teller 'Have you seen this guy before?', to which there was a negative response.

What was particularly worrying was that there are many of these slips just lying about on the floor outside the society, and it's easy enough to find out somebody's surname. Anyway, to lighten matters I'm listening to Avril Lavigne.

• @fatnickc said:

Anyway, to lighten matters I'm listening to Avril Lavigne.

Why, are you being held hostage?

• @upsidedowncreature said:

@fatnickc said:

I was guessing brain damage.

• Also don't forget their refreshing variation on the old "Java applets for hover buttons" paradigm on this page.How many WTFs do you find on this one?

• Just watching Newsnight and the Halifax is all over the front pages of the paper tomorrow - something about somebody trying to manipulate the share price?  Didn't catch the details. 

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Didn't catch the details. 
    Someone shorting the shares, then spreading rumours (via email) about HBOS being the next bank to die, to kill the share price.

Allegedly.

@fatnickc said:

I was guessing brain damage.

Stockholm syndrome is setting in:

She's actually surprisingly decent, in a not-very-good-at-all sort of way.

• @fatnickc said:

@fatnickc said:

I like Nickelback.  They're the new Nirvana you know.

(That bumping noise is the sound of Kurt Cobain ricocheting off his coffin lid). 

• @PSWorx said:

Also don't forget their refreshing variation on the old "Java applets for hover buttons" paradigm on this page.How many WTFs do you find on this one?

Nada means nothing in Spanish... 

• That reminds me of a time when I had my card swallowed by a cash machine for getting my pin wrong 3 times.  It was late and the bank was closed, so I went back first thing in the morning.  After waiting in line and explaining to the cashier what had happened, she told me that the machine hadn't been emptied since the weekend so there was a good chance it was still there, and she went to check.  Sure enough my card was there.  She then asked if I would like to withdraw money while I was there.  I like to know how much I have before I take money out, so I asked her for my balance.  She swiped my card and pushed a few buttons then gave me a slip of paper.  It read a little over £300.  I was a poor student back then so I was a little confused, but maybe my expenses had been reimbursed early.  I said I would like to take £20 out.  After getting me to sign a slip she gave me £20 and my card back.  As I was putting my cash and card back in to my wallet I noticed that it wasn't mine!  She'd given me cash from someone else's account!  I told her she'd made a mistake and she fixed the problem.  Looking back I should have spoken to the manager about it, but I was young and naive.  BTW, the bank was the Halifax!

• @Tann San said:

• Got me to sign the slip but didn't compare it to anything since I actually haven't signed the back of my card yet
  • How do you get away with that? I've never had an actively used card last longer than two weeks without a teller/cashier commenting that I haven't signed the card and could I please do so. One even refused to hand me my card back until I showed him a photo-ID.

• @sendai said:

@Tann San said:

• How do you get away with that? I've never had an actively used card last longer than two weeks without a teller/cashier commenting that I haven't signed the card and could I please do so. One even refused to hand me my card back until I showed him a photo-ID.

Please do not resurrect dead threads.  Since this appeared on the main page, post THERE.

Seriously, if we're going to have a best of the sidebar we need to lock the sidebar thread before it appears on the main page. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Please do not resurrect dead threads.  Since this appeared on the main page, post THERE.

Seriously, if we're going to have a best of the sidebar we need to lock the sidebar thread before it appears on the main page. 

QFT.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Or ban the stupid from becoming forum users.  But then what would we do around here, have intelligent discussions?

•  TRWTF is that you say PIN number.