Firefox (British English) dictionary wtf

•  Not tried in any of the other dictionaries. But when the British English dictionary is installed it highlights any words not recognised in standard text boxes, right-clicking on them gives suggestions.

Typed in a sentence including the phrase "one-upmanship", perfectly good English. However the dictionary didn't recognise "upmanship". Great I thought, spelt it wrong. So right-clicked on that word and the first suggestion was "one-upmanship"... Wtf?! I thought. So selected it, causing firefox to change the text to "one-one-upmanship", with "upmanship" still not recognised... Doh!

Robin

•  Maybe you should fix that spelling error...

• Bloody Firefox.

It's just got to show that it knows that liiittle bit better than you, eh?

• My favourite is if you type in the word buckinghamshire (I think with the US dictionary). It has to be a lower-case "b" but the suggested word is quite suprising.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@valerion said:

but the suggested word is quite suprising.
    Who on earth thought it a good idea to have mo-fo in there? Even T9 doesn't have swearwords in by default. 

• @PJH said:

Who on earth thought it a good idea to have mo-fo in there? Even T9 doesn't have swearwords in by default. 

To reduce the number of squiggly red lines the average Myspace user has. 

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Otterdam said:

the average Myspace user
    Never go there. From the general level of conversation I see from 'youngsters' elsewhere, don't they all treat their keyboards as if they were mobile phones and use txt-spk?[1]

If so this theory's out the window.

[1] A rather disturbing thought just occured to me.

Somebody, somewhere, must have come up with a program/applet/whatever to convert a number-pad of a standard keyboard into a <font color="#ff6600">useful</font> simulcrum of a mobile  phone keypad, with optional T9.

This is not a request. I do not need such a thing. Please do not feel the need to go out and Google for such a thing, just to prove one does exist, and advertise it here.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.