Vista Sharing Center

•  I found this while trying to disable File Sharing on my computer when I noticed I had my entire music library shared.
    If you can notice...Windows Vista apparently will only let you share folders over the network with your firewall 'off'. WTF.

Microsoft Sharing Center

• @tehriddler said:

only let you share folders over the network with your firewall 'off'.

It's a WTF, but you've interpreted it backwards.  You have to have the firewall on in order to disable file sharing.  Doesn't say you can't have file sharing on with firewall on at same time. 

• Yeah, I'm gonna have to say you're reaching here. Vista apparently uses the firewall to disable file sharing. But you certainly can share files over your network with the firewall on.

• Actually, I'd say it's a WTF to have to turn the firewall on to disable file sharing.  What if I want to use my own firewall?  What happened to just turning off the filesharing daemon? 

• @belgariontheking said:

Actually, I'd say it's a WTF to have to turn the firewall on to disable file sharing.  What if I want to use my own firewall?  What happened to just turning off the filesharing daemon? 

I don't use an aftermarket firewall (The Vista one is very much good enough) but I think that it works the same way as the antivirus stuff - your one (if wrotten appropriately) can be used to replace Vista's built in one. Perhaps that's not the case, though.

Anyway, the SERVER service responsible for filesharing can be disabled, if you prefer to do it that way.

• @shadowman said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say you're reaching here. Vista apparently uses the firewall to disable file sharing.

And that's not a WTF?