$999 app that does WHAT?



  • http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Tiff-Ninja.shtml 

    @From the page said:

    Tiff Ninja description
    Manage your documents using various document manipulation function

    Tiff
    Ninja application is a revolution for the document management industry.
    By offering complex document manipulation functions to any network
    attached document capture device, Tiff Ninja exposes a new world of
    functionality that was previously only available through the use of
    production class document scanners.



    Here are some key features of "Tiff Ninja":


    · Document separation based on Barcode (Code 39) or Blank Page

    · Document separation based on barcode with a user defined prefix value using Custom Prefix Recognition technology

    · Blank page deletion

    · Document rotation in 90, 180, or 270 degree increments

    · Works with any network attached copier, fax server or non production capture device

    · Can feed into virtually any Content Management System that supports Tiff import.

    This thing costs a lot, does a very limited amout of tasks and doesn't even have a website! And the "buy" option doesn't work.



  • Someone on ZDNet (I think) recommended a much more powerful print job manager that did way more than that.. and it was around $50.



  •  Apparently Softpedia got wise to it and it's been 404'd.



  • @Eric Shinn said:

    Apparently Softpedia got wise to it and it's been 404'd.

    No, OP's link just has a space at the end. Note that when you click it, you get a %20 at the end of the URL in your address bar. Trying again to post a better link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Tiff-Ninja.shtml

    The program is still for sale. You can download a free trial or buy it for the BARGAIN price of $999. That's a mere 56 cents per KB!

    Also, I can't seem to get the WYSINWYG editor to work today, so I'm having to post in plain HTML...



  • From the third screenshot:

     "The timer function of Tiff Ninja will enble you to set a precise time interval to process directories."

    "Set a time interval to process directories between 1 and 1439"

     I'm guessing that the unit is minutes and the program has some bug if the interval reaches a full day.

     



  • @AlpineR said:

    From the third screenshot:

     "The timer function of Tiff Ninja will enble you to set a precise time interval to process directories."

    "Set a time interval to process directories between 1 and 1439"

     I'm guessing that the unit is minutes and the program has some bug if the interval reaches a full day.

     

    From the screenshots:

    This is the main wnidow of Tiff Ninja that allows you to access all the features of the application.
    Wow!  Look at all those options!

    The document tab of Tiff Ninja will allow you to copy files when no break points are found is you enable it.
      That sounds, uhh, super.  I guess?

    The timer function of Tiff Ninja will enble you to set a precise time interval to process directories.
      What is this intended to do?  Does anyone know?  I assume it checks the same directory over the time interval, and converts everything it finds?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Actually this looks to be somewhat worth it in limited niches. It's a bulk import tool for document management systems.


    Lets say you have scads of paper documents, and you have a good paper document control policy that has each document barcoded on a coversheet.
    Then lets assume you have a nice, shiny new document management tool and want to put your paper docs into it.


    Normally, you'd hire a couple of interns and buy a big industrial grade sheetfeed scanner (or a networked copy machine, or any of the other 11 trillion ways you can throw a pile of paper on something and get it turned into digital documents). You have one intern scan the documents, one at a time, and put each one into a folder. At the end of the day, that intern batch uploads everything into the system, which leaves you with a bunch of documents, but they aren't categorized or anything. That's where your second intern comes in - they login to the system and go through the uncategorized documents, reading the cover sheets and tagging them appropriately.


    This is inefficient. You're paying TWO interns FFS! Probably $10/hr too!


    With this tool, you can nuke the first intern and just have the second intern pile up as much paper as the scanner can hold, run it through. While that's running, the intern can categorize documents in the system. Once it's done, the intern stops categorizing for a minute and reloads the printer. Meanwhile, this application is running, periodically checking the scan directory, and automatically recognizing your barcodes on the cover sheets and splitting them into directories, which at the end of the day, you can batch import into the system so the intern has more to categorize tommorrow!


    If it's going to save 100 intern-hours, the product has paid for itself, and a big document import project will do just that. Assuming the recognition works, Tiff Ninja receives my stamp of approval.



  • @Weng said:

    Actually this looks to be somewhat worth it in limited niches. It's a bulk import tool for document management systems.


    Lets say you have scads of paper documents, and you have a good paper document control policy that has each document barcoded on a coversheet.
    Then lets assume you have a nice, shiny new document management tool and want to put your paper docs into it.
     

    While we're at it, let's assume I also already have these documents on my network (because I sure as hell didn't draw those barcodes by hand), which frees up a lot of my time to go on a date with Heidi Klum, whom I am assuming is my girlfriend.



  • @zlogic said:

    This thing costs a lot, does a very limited amout of tasks and doesn't even have a website!

    Marketing. And a lot of people still think that something that costs more must be better. If someone buying for a company is choosing between software that costs a grand, software that costs $50, and software that costs nothing, they'll dismiss the freeware out of hand, and even $1000 is really water off a companies back, so they might buy it, even though the $50 is actually better.



  • @m0ffx said:

    @zlogic said:

    This thing costs a lot, does a very limited amout of tasks and doesn't even have a website!

    Marketing. And a lot of people still think that something that costs more must be better. If someone buying for a company is choosing between software that costs a grand, software that costs $50, and software that costs nothing, they'll dismiss the freeware out of hand, and even $1000 is really water off a companies back, so they might buy it, even though the $50 is actually better.

     

    most people I know would at least try to the free software just to avoid the hassle of the paperwork to purchase software. 



  •  tster, most people you know aren't fortune 500 company IT managers, are they?

     basically this software sounds like glorified batch OCR software. and gimped OCR, in that it can only read barcodes. and i'll bet you the sale price that it botches that job up. I could see this being useful for post offices/delivery companies... strangely. 



  • @Weng said:

    ...You're paying TWO interns FFS! Probably $10/hr too!...

    This is basically a description of the first job that I got right out of college.  Only I didn't get paid $10/hr, I got paid $40k/year plus full benefits.  $999 would have been a steal for those guys! 



  • @GeneWitch said:

     tster, most people you know aren't fortune 500 company IT managers, are they?

     basically this software sounds like glorified batch OCR software. and gimped OCR, in that it can only read barcodes. and i'll bet you the sale price that it botches that job up. I could see this being useful for post offices/delivery companies... strangely. 

     

    I work for a fortune 500 (and yes, I report to managers) and all of them would shy away from $1000 software like that.  Especially when there are free alternatives. 



  • Since the author doesn't even have a website or phone number, fixing problems is going to be a lot harder than navigating IVR menus.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.