Non WTF jobs WTF



  • Never has a good post started with "Is it just me?" but:

    Is it just me or is the Jr developer position advertised in the Non-WTF jobs a true WTF moment?

    It's located in that oh so cheap location of Long Island at an amazing 35k p/a.

    As a fresh graduate over 10 years ago I made that much in the midwest .. WTF? Is it that bad for out there now?



  • This post didn't start with "Is it just me" either... It starts with "Never has a good"



  • I think the "Non-WTF" part means the jobs aren't completely retarded.  Low salary kind of sucks, but it could be a really good place to work.  Still, it's just advertising, so I would bank on the "Non-WTF" title to be meaningless.  In the rural parts of our fine country, $35k isn't terrible for a first dev job.  In the urban areas, it's more like to be in the $50-70k range.



  • @pitchingchris said:

    This post didn't start with "Is it just me" either... It starts with "Never has a good"

     

    Ooof.

    OP, you have been challenged to a pedantry duel.

    Do you respond Yay or Nea?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I think the "Non-WTF" part means the jobs aren't completely retarded.  Low salary kind of sucks, but it could be a really good place to work.  Still, it's just advertising, so I would bank on the "Non-WTF" title to be meaningless.  In the rural parts of our fine country, $35k isn't terrible for a first dev job.  In the urban areas, it's more like to be in the $50-70k range.

     

    I would also add that it is possible this might be the first bid and they are trying to see if anyone bites at this price. You never know. It makes good business sense to start low, especially if your just looking for 'Jr.' programmers. They may not exactly need shining stars, they probably just need warm bodies.



  • We are a leading Internet retailer--specializing in fragrances and
    cosmetics--that is growing rapidly and expanding into new markets. We
    have positions open in Long Island NY for junior developers capable of
    working with the .Net framework in either C# or VB.Net.

    Your responsibilities will include the creation and maintenance of programs for order management, inventory control, fraud detection, and cataloging. You'll be working with the latest tools, including Visual Studio 2008, LINQ, WCF, WPF and SQL-Server 2005.

    You'll be working alongside other talented and experienced developers who enjoy sharing their knowledge. Ours is a casual, equal-opportunity environment with plenty of room for advancement, plus recognition of extra effort and ingenuity.

    We use RESTful SOA, normalized databases, source control (SVN), bug tracking, specs, Wikis, dual-monitor workstations, refactoring, and common sense.

    Qualifications
    Candidates should have either a university degree in software engineering, or 3-5 years of substantial programming experience (professional or volunteer). Code samples are required.

    You should have a working familiarity with the following technologies.

    1. Microsoft .Net framework
    2. C# or VB.Net
    3. SQL

    We also favor candidates who can demonstrate knowledge of a wider variety of languages, platforms and frameworks.

    Compensation & Benefits
    Positions are full-time salaried, from $35-45K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401K, medical, dental, and all the soda, coffee and M&Ms you can eat.

    Yeah but free M&Ms ...

    If the salary isn't up to your expectations then the simple thing to do in regard to this job listing is: do not apply

    I could probably spend the next 200 years of my life digging out WTF jobs from monster, et al. but ... I already have one.  

     



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    They may not exactly need shining stars, they probably just need warm bodies.

    For $35k a pop, I'll get them bodies!  Hell, I'll throw in the warming for free. 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    They may not exactly need shining stars, they probably just need warm bodies.

    For $35k a pop, I'll get them bodies!  Hell, I'll throw in the warming for free. 

     

    I can list a few right from this forum that you could start with.



  • @medialint said:

    Yeah but free M&Ms ...

    Fuck, I'd just take the job and live off the M&Ms and soda.  However I am young and not particularly concerned with long-term health effects, as demonstrated by my heavy smoking and drinking.

     

    I get free bottled water and diet soda at my current job.  Also, usually at least one sit-down meal with beers per week, paid for by the company.  Mmm!



  • @pitchingchris said:

    This post didn't start with "Is it just me" either... It starts with "Never has a good"
     

    Is it just me, or never has a good post started with "is it just me" or "never has a good?" 



  • @pitchingchris said:

    This post didn't start with "Is it just me" either... It starts with "Never has a good"

    Ergo despite prefacing my question with "Is it just me", I avoided starting the post with it.

    Obviously (by my logic at least) I found a loophole to avoid a crap post 😉



  • @bstorer said:

    Is it just me, or never has a good post started with "is it just me" or "never has a good?" 

    Damn it, he saw through my cunning plan.



  • @medialint said:

    We are a leading Internet retailer--specializing in fragrances and
    cosmetics--that is growing rapidly and expanding into new markets. We
    have positions open in Long Island NY for junior developers capable of
    working with the .Net framework in either C# or VB.Net.

    Your responsibilities will include the creation and maintenance of programs for order management, inventory control, fraud detection, and cataloging. You'll be working with the latest tools, including Visual Studio 2008, LINQ, WCF, WPF and SQL-Server 2005.

    You'll be working alongside other talented and experienced developers who enjoy sharing their knowledge. Ours is a casual, equal-opportunity environment with plenty of room for advancement, plus recognition of extra effort and ingenuity.

    We use RESTful SOA, normalized databases, source control (SVN), bug tracking, specs, Wikis, dual-monitor workstations, refactoring, and common sense.

    Qualifications
    Candidates should have either a university degree in software engineering, or 3-5 years of substantial programming experience (professional or volunteer). Code samples are required.

    You should have a working familiarity with the following technologies.

    1. Microsoft .Net framework
    2. C# or VB.Net
    3. SQL

    We also favor candidates who can demonstrate knowledge of a wider variety of languages, platforms and frameworks.

    Compensation & Benefits
    Positions are full-time salaried, from $35-45K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401K, medical, dental, and all the soda, coffee and M&Ms you can eat.

    Yeah but free M&Ms ...

    Won't they just cancel out the free dental scheme? 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    I think the "Non-WTF" part means the jobs aren't completely retarded.  Low salary kind of sucks, but it could be a really good place to work.  Still, it's just advertising, so I would bank on the "Non-WTF" title to be meaningless.  In the rural parts of our fine country, $35k isn't terrible for a first dev job.  In the urban areas, it's more like to be in the $50-70k range.

     

    I would also add that it is possible this might be the first bid and they are trying to see if anyone bites at this price. You never know. It makes good business sense to start low, especially if your just looking for 'Jr.' programmers. They may not exactly need shining stars, they probably just need warm bodies.

    I got the job I have now through a recruiter.  He told me about the company, yadda-yadda, sets up the phone interview, calls me to give me the details.  As we're getting off, he told me the salary they were offering.  I didn't ask before this because he and I talked about the range I was looking for, and since it was just a phone screen I wasn't overly concerned, figuring it would be close.  It wasn't, it was 10k a year less than what I was making and 15k less that what I wanted.  So I did the screen they asked me to fly up and meet in person.  I called the recruiter back and, the only way I'm giong is if they bump that salary up, otherwise we're wasting our time.  They went up 12K with profit sharing putting it up to about 17k more than the original value.  Not sure of the reason they had for listing it so low, but in the end, the price was largely negotiable.



  • @taylonr said:

    I got the job I have now through a recruiter.  He told me about the company, yadda-yadda, sets up the phone interview, calls me to give me the details.  As we're getting off, he told me the salary they were offering.  I didn't ask before this because he and I talked about the range I was looking for, and since it was just a phone screen I wasn't overly concerned, figuring it would be close.  It wasn't, it was 10k a year less than what I was making and 15k less that what I wanted.  So I did the screen they asked me to fly up and meet in person.  I called the recruiter back and, the only way I'm giong is if they bump that salary up, otherwise we're wasting our time.  They went up 12K with profit sharing putting it up to about 17k more than the original value.  Not sure of the reason they had for listing it so low, but in the end, the price was largely negotiable.
     

    Right, I have always negotiated the same way. It is amazing how much extra money you can drag out of most companies.

    Never take the first offer.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    Right, I have always negotiated the same way. It is amazing how much extra money you can drag out of most companies.

    Never take the first offer.

    A few weeks ago, my boss asks me in to give me the bonus talk. It goes something like this:

    <Boss>How much bonus do you want?</Boss>

    <Me>Well, something like a full months salary would be great.</Me>

    <Boss>Sorry, can't give you that much. 3/4 will have to do.</Boss>

    This conversation left me puzzled. What would he have said if I said I was happy with a free meal? Or if I had said I was expecting half a year's salary? "Sorry, can't do, 3/4 is all there is"?!? Why can't these people play it decently? I really hate to be owned like this. Gives me a very bad feeling.

     



  • @TheRider said:

    <Boss>How much bonus do you want?</Boss>

    <Me>Well, something like a full months salary would be great.</Me>

    <Boss>Sorry, can't give you that much. 3/4 will have to do.</Boss>

    This conversation left me puzzled. What would he have said if I said I was happy with a free meal? Or if I had said I was expecting half a year's salary? "Sorry, can't do, 3/4 is all there is"?!? Why can't these people play it decently? I really hate to be owned like this. Gives me a very bad feeling.

     

    Wow that is retarded. I have never had that kind of situation...

    Yikes...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.