Mashup Challenge $100,000 prize - WTF if Spectate Swamp wins?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@dlikhten said:
    If you wana get fancy-shmancy you can use vim. And hey vim works on ANY operating system.
    Some might question whether it works at all.

An emacs lover, eh?  Treason! 

What need do I have for vim when emacs has viper?  Actually, emacs is the true SSDS.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dlikhten said:

If you REALLY can't be bothered with openining text editors you can use grep, which is on most opereating systems, also there is a port of it to windows.

You can't edit with grep, n00b.  You need sed. 

Neither one of them does Random Video!

The disturbing part of that surreal conversation is that it has already happened several times in the original thread, and Spectate wasn't kidding.  Soon each of Spectate's threads will recursively replicate themselves until they reach critical mass and the entire Internet consists of nothing but screen reshoots, ads for cheaply made "Pot Relate" T-shirts and Tabacco Leaf Flyer videos.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dlikhten said:

If you REALLY can't be bothered with openining text editors you can use grep, which is on most opereating systems, also there is a port of it to windows.

mplayer $(find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | sed -n "$(($RANDOM * $( find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | wc -l ) / 32768)){p;q;}" -)

• @morbiuswilters said:

mplayer $(find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | sed -n "$(($RANDOM * $( find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | wc -l ) / 32768)){p;q;}" -)

Good God! O_O

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Good God! O_O

Integrate that thing with emacs and youve got SSDS, on UNIX

• @CodeSimian said:

Some of us are here to learn.
    here to learn how to. Jam It.

• @Tachyon said:

Integrate that thing with emacs and youve got SSDS, on UNIX

I'm rather surprised that there isn't already an M-x play-video command. It does look like someone built a video editor on emacs though: http://1010.co.uk/gneve.html  It probably supports slow-motion stuff. I don't know about random though.

• emacs is a mini-os all in itself. Dude there is no problem with making a plugin for vim/emacs to use mplayer and have it portable to any os. Then we can have SSDS in emacs lisp... because its in lisp it would be easy for us to add random features like: After searching you can select a line then hit hhkloooo and you will play a sound byte of a car crashing into a cow while the how was actually trying to eat some leaves of a bush, then mod the text by 256 and have a Text to speach say the number it adds to. See its simple, you hit a few keys and you can let your mind aggregate all the data.

Edit: I realize that paragraph has no direction, bad grammar, and w/e else... im in "i don't want to do work" mode so leave me be(er)!

• @morbiuswilters said:

mplayer -vo aa $(find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | sed -n "$(($RANDOM * $( find vid/ | grep -v '/$' | wc -l ) / 32768)){p;q;}" -)
    FTFY

This is a console app after all

• Pff, doesn't Swampy realise that White Crow is a plant? Also, all of Whitecourt is behind the ENTIRE CONSPIRACY!

(Hi, I've been reading both this thread and the original SSDS thread for 3 weeks now. I have the compelling urge to screenprint JAM IT! onto a t-shirt.) 

• @HannahRochelle said:

I have the compelling urge to screenprint JAM IT! onto a t-shirt.

It has to be superimposed over a chunk of SSDS code listing.

• That is an excellent idea. I'll do that, and post pictures that I've developed, filmed with a camcorder then screencaptured.

Because no one uses regular digital cameras.. They are so passe. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dlikhten said:

Man, I have been gone too long because of a semester project (I know, TRWTF is that I didn't drop out after 9th grade).  MorbiusWilters... I officially crown you the Shell Script King.  You used a gui app (mplayer), a file searcher (find), a regular expression program (grep), an editor (sed), with environment variables and command-line math... did I miss anything?

EDIT: Of course, I missed the use of Piping.  You know... this command could use some output and input redirection... maybe even a 'tee' program for good measure? 

Also, what the heck is up with the Tag Exceptions?!

• @WeatherGod said:

MorbiusWilters... I officially crown you the Shell Script King.  You used a gui app (mplayer), a file searcher (find), a regular expression program (grep), an editor (sed), with environment variables and command-line math... did I miss anything?

*takes a bow*  I usually avoid shell constructs that complicated, but in honor of Random Video I was willing to bend the rules.  Also note that I could have used a variable and saved the result of the find | grep so it didn't have to execute twice, but I asked myself "What Would SpectateSwamp Do?" and ended up with this.

@WeatherGod said:

We have discovered that every tag entered into the forum is output in a hidden input field on every thread page when you are logged in.  We have since constructed some Greasemonkey/Opera scripts that autogenerate TagExceptions (AbbydonKrafts has been throwing them for some time) with random memory addresses.  The goal is to bloat the page massively for fun and/or profit.  My script also adds the post # into the tag after the post is submitted, it shows up as the "line number" of the exception.  So far we have 324 unique TagEx tags totaling 13kbytes that are loaded on every page (out of about 163kbytes of total tags).  More info (and the scripts) available here.   The conversation (and GM/Opera code) spans throughout the entire thread and there's a bunch of other fun forum exploits in there.

• @morbiuswilters said:

The goal is to bloat the page massively for fun and/or profit.
    I'm in it strictly for the profit.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@WeatherGod said:

MorbiusWilters... I officially crown you the Shell Script King.  You used a gui app (mplayer), a file searcher (find), a regular expression program (grep), an editor (sed), with environment variables and command-line math... did I miss anything?

*takes a bow*  I usually avoid shell constructs that complicated, but in honor of Random Video I was willing to bend the rules.  Also note that I could have used a variable and saved the result of the find | grep so it didn't have to execute twice, but I asked myself "What Would SpectateSwamp Do?" and ended up with this.

WWSSD? 

@WeatherGod said:

We have discovered that every tag entered into the forum is output in a hidden input field on every thread page when you are logged in.  We have since constructed some Greasemonkey/Opera scripts that autogenerate TagExceptions (AbbydonKrafts has been throwing them for some time) with random memory addresses.  The goal is to bloat the page massively for fun and/or profit.  My script also adds the post # into the tag after the post is submitted, it shows up as the "line number" of the exception.  So far we have 324 unique TagEx tags totaling 13kbytes that are loaded on every page (out of about 163kbytes of total tags).  More info (and the scripts) available here.   The conversation (and GM/Opera code) spans throughout the entire thread and there's a bunch of other fun forum exploits in there.

::View Source::

Holy...!  That is just messed up! 

• @WeatherGod said:

Yeah.. that's what we thought. But, then we decided to have fun with it. I feel sorry for those in less fortunate areas and have to deal with < 1Mbps connections. eg

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@WeatherGod said:

Yeah.. that's what we thought. But, then we decided to have fun with it. I feel sorry for those in less fortunate areas and have to deal with < 1Mbps connections. eg

Give us enough time and you'll have to start feeling sorry for everyone.

• @bstorer said:

True enough.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@bstorer said:

True enough.

This will be an interesting test: which will crack first: our patience while waiting for the pages to load, or Alex's bandwidth?

• @bstorer said:

I'm on 20mbps cable and the site is still laggy for me at times, although that may be the server and not the amount of data traveling over the network.  At work we have a T1 for the whole office (super lame) and most pages take 5-10 seconds to load.  I figure it's easy enough for Alex to clear out the tags if it becomes a real problem and it's a good way to let people know about the problems of CS while having some fun and not really hurting anyone.  When I found out a few days ago you can embed arbitrary JS and Flash into posts I didn't post t3h codez because that could be used to cause real damage (NULL pointer dereferencing in Flash virtual machine anyone?)

• @bstorer said:

This will be an interesting test: which will crack first: our patience while waiting for the pages to load, or Alex's bandwidth?

Probably neither. Alex will most likely purge the tags if it gets to that point.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I'm on 20mbps cable and the site is still laggy for me at times

FU!!! I've only got 3Mbps DSL. Nothing faster is available.

@morbiuswilters said:

At work we have a T1 for the whole office (super lame) and most pages take 5-10 seconds to load.

Same for me.

@morbiuswilters said:

When I found out a few days ago you can embed arbitrary JS and Flash into posts I didn't post t3h codez

Party pooper.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@bstorer said:

Probably neither. Alex will most likely purge the tags if it gets to that point.

I don't know.  This forum is like the sewers of TDWTF.  How much does Alex really monitor what we do down here?

• @bstorer said:

This forum is like the sewers of TDWTF.  How much does Alex really monitor what we do down here?

LOL! He's got a mole down here, so he probably knows.

Also, you might want to implement the edit check in your script like I did. Your tag is hideous.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Also, you might want to implement the edit check in your script like I did. Your tag is hideous.
    Probably.

EDIT: I have no idea what you're talking about!

• @bstorer said:

Probably.

That was very nonchalant.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@bstorer said:
    Probably.

That was very nonchalant.

I just needed a post to test the revised code on, and the edit timeout had expired on my previous one.

• @bstorer said:

I just needed a post to test the revised code on, and the edit timeout had expired on my previous one.

Ahhh.. I see. Well I just needed an excuse to chunk another tag into the soup. LOL

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Ahhh.. I see. Well I just needed an excuse to chunk another tag into the soup. LOL

TagExceptions now account for over 10% of total tags.  Keep up the good work! 

• @morbiuswilters said:

TagExceptions now account for over 10% of total tags.  Keep up the good work!
    Don't worry, we will :)

• Interesting idea, just don't mess with my Ori attack... 

• Ender, your signature got some vertical text or something... but I can't read it or highlight it or anything.  What's up with that? 

• @WeatherGod said:

Ender, your signature got some vertical text or something... but I can't read it or highlight it or anything.  What's up with that?
    You probably mean ·̴̵̶̷̸̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́̕̚͠͡ͅ, which is one of my tags. As for what it is, it's some Unicode magic :)

• @ender said:

As for what it is, it's some Unicode magic

Of the voodoo variety. When I highlight it, it turns into a dot.

• When I first saw the more extreme version of that, it looked like a blue smudge on my screen.  Was rather weired until I realised what was going on.

Perhaps it was an alien dino mummy?  But it wasn't shiny.

*jumps on the bandwagon* 

• Not too Dumb for VB.net just yet

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

My whole object in computing is to learn as little as possible
    Mission accomplished.

Geez VB.net isn't anything like VB5. This is the last programming language I'm going to struggle with. Luckily there are lots of good examples on the Internet. Things always seem to work this way. The more I yap and yap the more it comes back to bite me. I'll do lots of documentation for the steps required in building my first program. Screen captures & notes with a screen reshoot or two explaining it all. I tend to forget faster than I learn. It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction. A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot). Overall it's sorta fun doing something new where I can Jam it.  Thank the Stones, all my Swampies are much smarter than me. Converting SSDS to VB.net probably won't be as easy as I hoped. A Mac or Linux version could possibly handle this spaghetti code better.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Geez VB.net isn't anything like VB5. This is the last programming language I'm going to struggle with.
      Good news for when they make VB.NET obsolete.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Luckily there are lots of good examples on the Internet.
      And nearly infinitely more bad ones.

@SpectateSwamp said:

It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction. A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot).
    I know a few: rdoc, javadoc, pydoc, doxygen, good code comments... I'm just going off the top of my head here.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Thank the Stones, all my Swampies are much smarter than me.
    The stones are smarter than you, too.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Converting SSDS to VB.net probably won't be as easy as I hoped. A Mac or Linux version could possibly handle this spaghetti code better.
    Yeah, that sounds logical.

• @bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Geez VB.net isn't anything like VB5. This is the last programming language I'm going to struggle with.

That's not going to stop him.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

At this point, I'm not entirely sure death would stop him.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I tend to forget faster than I learn.
    A truer word was never. SpoKen.@SpectateSwamp said:
    It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction.
    So it's the mental equivalent of life support?  Perhaps if we were able to somehow eradicate all copies of SSDS, we'd be rid of him.  This is why he's putting so much effort into spreading it.@SpectateSwamp said:
    A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot).
    So it's the only thing keeping his memory alive... which is why he doesn't remember anything else.  Perhaps SSDS won't let him remember anything else, out of self-preservation?  If I was SSDS I'd let Spectate remember something better so I could be put out of my misery.

Anthropomophizins SSDS is fun! 

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

LOL 

• @Eternal Density said:

Anthropomophizins
    I'm sure I wrote anthropomophizing...

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Especially when he has been nigh-immortalized with a dedicated website and SourceForge project! :Casts accusing glare at nobody in particular.:

Just imagine: 1000s of years from now, when culture anthropologists are using SSDS.NET to search the million-terabyte single-file plain text archive of today's Internet, they will see all the discussion of Spectate, and naturally assume he is a minor deity.

I predict entire future civilizations will rise and fall over SwampCult-related religious wars.  The question of whether or not your original proprietary data should be deleted after plain text export and merge will likely bring future SwampTopias to the brink of nuclear armaggedon, only to be saved when an obscure posting in original thedailywtf.com forums resolves the debate conclusively.  (The answer is: your original data doesn't need to be deleted, but who cares?  Nobody can read more than 2 or 3 GBs in a lifetime anyway.  Keeping around any more data would be pure silly.)

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Geez VB.net isn't anything like VB5. This is the last programming language I'm going to struggle with. Luckily there are lots of good examples on the Internet.

So, in other words, you are going to learn about VB.NET from the Internet.  Do you realize some people go to school to learn?  Why is it okay for you to teach yourself VB.NET, but not okay for others to get a formal education to learn stuff?@SpectateSwamp said:

Things always seem to work this way. The more I yap and yap the more it comes back to bite me.

You have said that before, in reference to your stance on video editing.  Yet somehow it hasn't prevented you from yapping and yapping without thinking beforehand.@SpectateSwamp said:

I'll do lots of documentation for the steps required in building my first program. Screen captures & notes with a screen reshoot or two explaining it all.

Or, you could just package your software properly (include ALL the necessary files!) and distribute plain text/HTML documentation on SourceForge. You know, kinda like what that StorerSwamp guy is trying to do, for some reason.

You know, most people can read written instructions faster than they can watch some blurry, vertigo-inducing instructional video with dodgy narration. 

@SpectateSwamp said:

I tend to forget faster than I learn. It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction. 

Once again, we discover that the world revolves around SpectateSwamp.  Poor old Spectate has a learning disability, so therefore NOBODY should go to school.  Spectate finds SSDS useful, therefore EVERYBODY should use SSDS.@SpectateSwamp said:

A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot).

???.  SSDS doesn't help you document anything.@SpectateSwamp said:

Overall it's sorta fun doing something new where I can Jam it. 

We should give a fuck because...?@SpectateSwamp said:

Thank the Stones, all my Swampies are much smarter than me.

Do you really believe this bullshit you constantly spout?  Are we supposed to believe that you worship your medicine stones? Do you really expect us to believe that you think we are now your "Swampies"? I wonder if your real-life friend "ElizabethSwamp" (who apparently helped you with your first program) would appreciate being called "ElizabethSwamp".

Or do you really think that pissing people off is the best way to achieve your goals.   @SpectateSwamp said:

Converting SSDS to VB.net probably won't be as easy as I hoped. A Mac or Linux version could possibly handle this spaghetti code better.

I would think a self-taught, self-made man like yourself would put less stock in delusional wishful thinking.  I guess imagining that sanity plays any part in your thought processes is wishful thinking on my end.

• Yeah, and flying pigs will wear SS's leftover Tshirts because no one else would take them. 

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Geez VB.net isn't anything like VB5. This is the last programming language I'm going to struggle with. Luckily there are lots of good examples on the Internet. Things always seem to work this way. The more I yap and yap the more it comes back to bite me. I'll do lots of documentation for the steps required in building my first program. Screen captures & notes with a screen reshoot or two explaining it all. I tend to forget faster than I learn. It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction. A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot). Overall it's sorta fun doing something new where I can Jam it.  Thank the Stones, all my Swampies are much smarter than me. Converting SSDS to VB.net probably won't be as easy as I hoped. A Mac or Linux version could possibly handle this spaghetti code better.

Here's a thought. HOW ABOUT LETTING IT DIE?

Seriously.

I am not a coder. I am what you would class as the Masses. Your program makes no sense to me whatsoever. I had to get elgate to explain shit to me, and even though he know what he's talking about, I think even HE struggled at times.

So no. I, the Masses, do not find SSDS helpful at all.

EDIT: The only reason I would want a camcorder (other than the obvious USEFUL stuff) is so I can beat you with it.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@ender said:
    As for what it is, it's some Unicode magic

Of the voodoo variety. When I highlight it, it turns into a dot.

Ya, it's a "middot" character (· - HTML entity &middot;) with every Unicode combining diacritical mark (and whatever those other doodads on it might be called).

Since this is a Swamp thread, an examination of it in 72-point red font is called for. I'd make it scroll too but the <marquee> tag doesn't seem to work here.
    <font color="red" size="72">·̴̵̶̷̸̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́̕̚͠͡ͅ</font>

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'll do lots of documentation for the steps required in building my first program. Screen captures & notes with a screen reshoot or two explaining it all.

A prudent promise, compared to the large amount of absolutely useless documentation you've provided so far. Please also keep it.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I tend to forget faster than I learn. It's lucky I have SSDS around when I have this affliction. A greater documentation system I never knew (or forgot).

Contrary to popular belief, programmers aren't necessarily mystical masters of memory and can't remember everything about the programming languages they work on. Which is why, you know, reference manuals were invented... electronic versions too... and context-sensitive documentation... and interactive code completion... and class browsers... and so on, and so forth.

@SpectateSwamp said:

As has been said before, Mac and Linux can't run VB5 apps natively. There's a possibility VB.NET will compile and run through Mono, but no one's promising a thing.

• @WWWWolf said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

As has been said before, Mac and Linux can't run VB5 apps natively. There's a possibility VB.NET will compile and run through Mono, but no one's promising a thing.

He is probably refering to REALbasic and/or Gambas.