Mashup Challenge $100,000 prize - WTF if Spectate Swamp wins?

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@bstorer said:

@CodeSimian said:

You fool! What is that supposed to prove?  Has SpectateSwamp taught you nothing:

Goddamn it!  I just laughed so hard my wife demanded to know what was so funny.  We really need to get that website in order so she can understand.

Me too, except, around here everyone ignores my periodic maniacal laughs.

The Real WTF is Spectate parodies himself more effectively than anybody can.  Seriously, if you put one of our joke pics/videos next to a "real" Spectate video, do you think the average Joe could tell which one was fake?

It's like a Turing Test for delusional assholes!

• @bstorer said:

We really need to get that website in order so she can understand.

WANTED: Website Copywriter

QUALIFICATIONS:

• Creative writing skills
    • Sense of humour
    • Grade 9 education (optional)
    • Obsessive hatred of delusional assholes (must-have!)

WORK ENVIRONMENT:

• Must be willing and able to spend 14 h+ per day obsessively surfing geek-related website

COMPENSATION:

• Vintage custom-made T-shirts: available sizes XL, XXL; Care instructions: Ironed-on logo (Do NOT wash!) 

CONTRACT LENGTH:

• Indefinite/Until world's end (approx. 2012)/Client expires of natural causes/Client flattened by enormous rock in irony-free accident

• @CodeSimian said:

@bstorer said:

QUALIFICATIONS:

• Sense of humour

WORK ENVIRONMENT:

• Must be willing and able to spend 14 h+ per day obsessively surfing geek-related website

COMPENSATION:

• Vintage custom-made T-shirts: available sizes XL, XXL; Care instructions: Ironed-on logo (Do NOT wash!) 

CONTRACT LENGTH:

• Indefinite/Until world's end (approx. 2012)/Client expires of natural causes/Client flattened by enormous rock in irony-free accident

Contact CodeSimian: 330123 at Prompt #2 and Jam It.

• @CodeSimian said:

@bstorer said:

QUALIFICATIONS:

• Sense of humour

WORK ENVIRONMENT:

COMPENSATION:

CONTRACT LENGTH:

I would normally think I'm eligible, but then I remember, everyone just passes trhu my rants without even noticing them, so I guess I'm discarded for not having reative writing skills/sense of homour.

aawh, well.. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

When I left the British Columbia Building corp job. I had a pizza party. One of the attending chefs cooked up a magic mushroom pizza. Everybody was given a warning. Some ignored it.

When I got the boot at Weyerhaeuser I had a 3 Kegger and pizza party. The local Dominos sold me 60 Doughs for $2 apiece. I gave lots away. I told the invited to wear stripes and clean underwear. In case there was a raid. The police notified the landlord that I was having a pizza, beer and pot protest party. The best landlord in the world, had to come the next day to get his shoes.

We can joke about the older generations drugs: LSD, Magic Mushrooms, Pot. But not the stuff of today - Crystal Meth - This concotion is destroying Whitecourts' young

haha jesus not enough people are quoting this

I'd have trouble joking about "the older generations drugs" considering the evidence existing ie you. 

• @CodeSimian said:

You fool! What is that supposed to prove?  Has SpectateSwamp taught you nothing:

LMAO. That's a true work of art. You definitely made my day... :-D

•  BTW for anyone interested, at last check the site is up to:

2,878 visits

and 

12,479 pageviews

• Finals are here, but if I have time I'll see if I can write up something for the front page as an introduction to the aliens, SSDS, etc.

Again, not to be a jerk about it, but the Conspiracies page is still empty.

• @burntfuse said:

Finals are here, but if I have time I'll see if I can write up something for the front page as an introduction to the aliens, SSDS, etc.

Again, not to be a jerk about it, but the Conspiracies page is still empty.

Crap! I need to do that!

Thanks.

• @bstorer said:

@CodeSimian said:

Goddamn it!  I just laughed so hard my wife demanded to know what was so funny.  We really need to get that website in order so she can understand.

I'm at work right now and having an extremely hard time containing the laughter. My eyes are watering. That was brilliant, CodeSimian!

• Bright Shiny Spook?

The only one I saw. It could be a airplane. With no real change in direction.

• @spenk said:

Again I fail to understand anything you are saying... If you are on about managing the source or something then I would strongly suggest either installing some real source code control (I would recomend subversion and tortoisesvn) or create a sourceforge project and upload your code there. Jam It!
    Why, Lord, why?!  I haven't had a lot of time this week between work and family crap, so the code still doesn't work, but it's at least ten steps better than Swampy.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It could be a airplane.

I'm pretty sure it's a Tobacco Leaf Flyer. Just look at the retracted stem.

Unfortunately no Rocket Scientist around to show How Fast. This Thing. Is Moving.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

You fool! What is that supposed to prove?  Has SpectateSwamp taught you noth....

Uh, never mind, Spectate.  Keep up the good work. 

• The latest postings have me in stitches.  Especially the job description and duration part.

I wonder when the SpectatePhenomenon will make it onto the front page.  Perhaps Paula Bean is Swampie's neice or something?  No quack: Jam it!

• @spenk said:

If you are on about managing the source or something then I would strongly suggest either installing some real source code control (I would recomend subversion and tortoisesvn) or create a sourceforge project and upload your code there. Jam It!

Unbelievably, Spectate already created a SourceForge project.   Much more plausibly, Spectate has refused to:

• upload code
    • grant CVS access
    • add documentation
    • address bugs
    • do any kind of project-related maintenance

Someone even offered to admin the project for Spectate, but the suggestion apparently took a long detour around the Sanity Filter surrounding  Spectate's brain, never to be seen again.

Here it is:

Yes, that is the "correct" spelling of the project name. No, Spectate is not smart enough to correctly spell his own username, which he has been using online for years. 

Or, you could try the vastly superior (and far more disturbing):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/spectateswamp/

Why pstorer, why? 

• @CodeSimian said:

Why pstorer, why? 

For Great Injustice!

• @bstorer said:

Why, Lord, why?!  I haven't had a lot of time this week between work and family crap, so the code still doesn't work, but it's at least ten steps better than Swampy.

Good Lord, ViewVC has Visual Basic syntax highlighting? Anyway, this really shows some mad skills in dealing with weird code. And insane code. =)

Speaking of BASIC and syntax highlighting, I managed to find some old BASIC code of mine last month. Surprise! the code is actually readable (to an extent), even when it was, back in the day, just as ambitious as Swampy's code - I was implementing a whole operating system! I had actually heard of this "modular programming" thing back then, even if the language didn't support any of the niceties afforded by modern world. I know, bad excuses. =) Also, note the not-so-heavy use of dating in comments. I at least had an excuse (I didn't know what version control is, and even if I had known, no version control systems whatsoever ran on the computer), I wonder what Swampy's excuse is?

Finally, some Wisdom: What is in Basic that makes people pursue mad dreams? ...hmm, this would make a perfect geek drama film: An Ordinary Person implementing an ambitious application alone, frustrated by people who don't understand them and the programming language that doesn't let them to do anything elegantly. Descent into massive frustrations, leaving nothing but an impossible dream of a better world. (Uh... think of Requiem for a Dream without all of the drugs. =)

• I started on VB6... made some interesting and fairly playable 2d tiled games.  Once I realised that using activex controls for each level of the game was a bad idea, and found how to use GDI calls instead of moving image boxes around a form, things went a bit better, though I still had the nasty habit of making a form for each level and then copy-pasting the game logic between each form whenever I added a feature.  Actually, I eventually grew out of that too, and then got a decent level designer (which saved text to a file - each tile had three numbers which either describe what sort of terrain and object were there, or other things depending on what sort of object it was... yeah it was messy).  Then I grew out of using VB.  While I never used classes, I never used gotos either - even then I knew better.  Though I do have vague memories of declaring loop variables globally, and then discovering that this was a bad idea when a loop in a function disrupted the loop in the function that called it.  Anyhow, it was an interesting learning experience, and I had fun without annoying anyone else in the process :D 

• @CodeSimian said:

Or, you could try the vastly superior (and far more disturbing):

Why pstorer, why? 

My cruelty has no bounds.  And by the way, whoever submitted a bug and a feature request (I'm looking at you CodeSirnian), they've both been addressed and closed.  Which, for those who didn't post them, means that I've added the VB5 code and project file.  I have no means of checking that they actually work, though.

• @Eternal Density said:

I started on VB6... made some interesting and fairly playable 2d tiled games.

I'd always wanted to make my own game since VB3. I never did get anything working, though. shrug

• @bstorer said:

My cruelty has no bounds.

Obviously. On another note: Your tag exceptions are unacceptable. You're tossing out 3- and 4-character ones. Tsk, tsk.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@bstorer said:
    My cruelty has no bounds.

Obviously. On another note: Your tag exceptions are unacceptable. You're tossing out 3- and 4-character ones. Tsk, tsk.

Actually, I once saw a 2-character one.  It's intentional, though, so that there's less clobbering as more people use that tag attack.

• @bstorer said:

It's intentional, though

Ahh... ok. Eventually I'll add in module names. eg

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Ahh... ok. Eventually I'll add in module names. *eg*

If you do, let me know so I can update the search pattern in my "tracker" and still get the summary of how many uncaught TagEx's there are. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

let me know so I can update the search pattern

I'm thinking of using the pattern "TagException 0x_________ in MODULE_NAME". If you think that's ok, then just look for the first part (same as you're currently doing, but without "in").

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

I'm thinking of using the pattern "TagException 0x_________ in MODULE_NAME". If you think that's ok, then just look for the first part (same as you're currently doing, but without "in").

Sounds good to me.  My hex code is actually supposed to be a memory address, but I fumbled the wording a bit (probably should have been "TagEx at 0x") but seeing as I'm fighting for Truth and Justice I will overlook my error.

• @morbiuswilters said:

probably should have been "TagEx at

I couldn't remember what was missing, but that's it! So, my complete exception will be formatted as:

TagException at 0x_________ in MODULE_NAME

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I couldn't remember what was missing, but that's it! So, my complete exception will be formatted as:

I approve enthusiastically. 

•  @AbbydonKrafts said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I'm going with this, until somebody invents something better.

• learn little - have fun - with SSDS

@WWWWolf said:

Also, note the not-so-heavy use of dating in comments. I at least had an excuse (I didn't know what version control is, and even if I had known, no version control systems whatsoever ran on the computer), I wonder what Swampy's excuse is?
    My whole object in computing is to learn as little as possible and have fun with computers. That means no version control program. Using dates in the source code, works for me. I can follow changes through the code and add new features that require similar modifications. (ie mpg, avi, wmv and mp3) Now that I'm sharing this crap for code. Version control might be OK. I can visit the site and give the most recent edition a spin. I sure hope the new Swampie developers make home movies to show how the latest version works.

My first VB net project won't be SSDS. I'm waiting on my Swampies for a demonstration of that. Maybe my #2 and #3 programs of all time. Just a page or 2 of code each. Damn already taking on another language. Maybe that's the least I could. These 2 Feature programs are extra easy and a great pair to start programming with. Leave the tuff stuff to others.

• @bstorer said:

Difficulty:  I'm going to try to get it to set the "line number" to my own post ID.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

My whole object in computing is to learn as little as possible
    Mission accomplished.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

Difficulty:  I'm going to try to get it to set the "line number" to my own post ID.

Ouch.  You'd have to post it, and then know that you just posted something, and then manipulate the tags using the [Edit Tags] method.  Have fun with that.  The only change I've made to mine is that I'll now use only proper 32-bit addresses, because now the chances of clobbering an existing tag will be extremely low.

• @bstorer said:

See tags for an auto-generated example of my new one.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Hey SpectateSwamp! I see you've never tried Notepad++

Well you're really missing out! It is by far the best desktop search you'll ever find. Once you've used it, you'll never want to try anything else. It's the only application you'll ever need.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@bstorer said:

See tags for an auto-generated example of my new one.

See, this is why we don't need an IRC chat room.  We just take a stupid thread and make it into whatever the hell we want.  Remember when this thread was actually about a Mashup Challenge?  No, me neither.

• Oh crap. "Let those who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast"...

(I may be misquoting a little, all my relevant bible knowledge comes from an Iron Maiden song) 

• @bstorer said:

Ouch.  You'd have to post it, and then know that you just posted something, and then manipulate the tags using the [Edit Tags] method.  Have fun with that.

Yep, gonna be fun.  :-) 

• @bstorer said:

Remember when this thread was actually about a Mashup Challenge?  No, me neither.

I really don't see how a so-called "Mashup Challenge" (whatever that is), is relevant to aliens, magic medicine stones and mystical birds.  Stop changing the subject!  Some of us are here to learn.

• @CodeSimian said:

@bstorer said:

Remember when this thread was actually about a Mashup Challenge?  No, me neither.

I really don't see how a so-called "Mashup Challenge" (whatever that is), is relevant to aliens, magic medicine stones and mystical birds.  Stop changing the subject!  Some of us are here to learn.

Were you not paying attention?  The Netsquared stups have angered the medicine stones.  Why do you think that White Crow was ripping through that bread like butter in the first place?

• @bstorer said:

We just take a stupid thread and make it into whatever the hell we want.

Absolutely!

@morbiuswilters said:

Filed under: Uncaught TagException at 0xdd750124 in (TDWTF.forums.Post:LINE)

Shouldn't that be Unhandled or Unexpected TagException?

• @NeoMojo said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Hey SpectateSwamp! I see you've never tried Notepad++

Well you're really missing out! It is by far the best desktop search you'll ever find. Once you've used it, you'll never want to try anything else. It's the only application you'll ever need.

Man, you gota download Notepad++... How about Notepad... Comes pre-installed with windows. If you wana get fancy-shmancy you can use vim. And hey vim works on ANY operating system. If you want to get into a religious war, you can use emacs and that works on most OSes too. If you REALLY can't be bothered with openining text editors you can use grep, which is on most opereating systems, also there is a port of it to windows.

But in the end this point was mentioned, many times, read this thread, you will many people trying to bring sanity. SS just ignores everything and sees all posts as "SSDS is awsome, how can I adapt myself to use it for everything including but not limited to: Making pork chops, frying patatoes, and grooming cats."

Edit: Speaking of which, cats are a giant govenment conspiracy invented to spy on you while you sleep. Ever wonder why cats don't obey you? Caz they obey only one master: The Government, you are just their slave!

• @bstorer said:

The Netsquared stups have angered the medicine stones.  Why do you think that White Crow was ripping through that bread like butter in the first place?

LMFAO!!

• @dlikhten said:

If you wana get fancy-shmancy you can use vim. And hey vim works on ANY operating system.
    Some might question whether it works at all.

@dlikhten said:
    If you want to get into a religious war
    Yes, please!

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Shouldn't that be Unhandled or Unexpected TagException?

You and your fancy Java and/or C#!  It's "Uncaught exception" in php, but I could mix it up in the generate function.. 

• @dlikhten said:

If you REALLY can't be bothered with openining text editors you can use grep, which is on most opereating systems, also there is a port of it to windows.

You can't edit with grep, n00b.  You need sed. 

• @bstorer said:

@dlikhten said:
    If you wana get fancy-shmancy you can use vim. And hey vim works on ANY operating system.
    Some might question whether it works at all.

An emacs lover, eh?  Treason! 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dlikhten said:

If you REALLY can't be bothered with openining text editors you can use grep, which is on most opereating systems, also there is a port of it to windows.

You can't edit with grep, n00b.  You need sed. 

Neither one of them does Random Video!

• @morbiuswilters said:

It's "Uncaught exception" in php

Which language do you think this thing was developed in? :-P