Mashup Challenge $100,000 prize - WTF if Spectate Swamp wins?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

That should be fun.

Honestly, as batshit crazy as you are, I'm glad you are still enjoying your life.  That's probably the most important thing in the world and nobody can take that away from you. 

Sure, it's great for him.  Too bad a large part of his "fun" is derived from spamming and intentionally baiting strangers on the Internet.  (Yes, I know I can ignore him...theoretically)  More seriously, like others have mentioned, Spectate no doubt has an extended family who have to deal with him on a regular basis.  Spectate himself admitted that his friends and family kept their distance when he painted his head yellow for the Yellowhead election.  I wonder if anyone here would be upset if their favourite uncle started acting like SpectateSwamp?  Personally, I would be devastated.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Seems everything that died around here got mummified.

And even a few things that didn't die.  (SSDS, Spectate's worldview, ...)

• Spookie Bird

White Crow -  european hooded crow

My Bird. What a beauty.

I've been told that WC above is in a nature and wildlife book. More famous than poor old SpectateSwamp

Back to quick keys. When swamp search is in text input mode. a "v" then enter does the same as a Ctrl/v and much simpler. You can still do the Ctrl/v if you were a masochist and knew nothing about speed. If the quick keys are handy and they use the system lots. They'll remember them.

How come that crow is in my back yard? Spookie birds these medicinie ones.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I've been told that WC above is in a nature and wildlife book. More famous than poor old SpectateSwamp

Why do you keep calling it WC ("White Crow") when experts have repeatedly told you it is a "Hooded Crow"?

http://www.surfbirds.com/phorum/read.php?f=42&i=9019&t=9019

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=563128&postcount=12 

@SpectateSwamp said:

if you were a masochist

Can't speak for anyone else, but as I'm still reading and responding to this thread, yes, I am obviously a masochist.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Sigh.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Spookie birds these medicinie ones.

WTF, "medicine birds" now? I assume it's magical and can only be killed with a medicine stone. Perhaps you could even kill TWO medicine birds with one medicine stone...

• Spookie Bird

@joemck said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

WTF, "medicine birds" now? I assume it's magical and can only be killed with a medicine stone. Perhaps you could even kill TWO medicine birds with one medicine stone...

Could be a Medicine Bird. Maybe the Aliens brought it here to distract Me. Or maybe.. what.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Could be a Medicine Bird. Maybe the Aliens brought it here to distract Me. Or maybe.. what.

I thought you were leaving?  You never answered my question: Why should we care about stuff again?   

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Man... fuck... I'm high as shit right now too..  you think we could split an anchovy pizza??  Im not the biggest fan of fennel but the dough kicks ass!!! 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

For my VB build I'll have SSDS run a control file of edits on the original Source.txt file.
    That makes very little sense, why do you not just keep a vb5 project that contains the form and code and stuff? You could also do something radical likeuse some form of source code control to manage your revisions etc.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I'll make changes to the VB5.0 version. then process the VB.net edits and Jam the both of them. That should be fun.
    You really have no idea how difficult a task this is. The vb5 version is so poor it will not even work in vb6! VB.Net finally removes the gosub and return construct from the language so the code stands no chance of compiling anyway.

• @spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

For my VB build I'll have SSDS run a control file of edits on the original Source.txt file.
    That makes very little sense, why do you not just keep a vb5 project that contains the form and code and stuff? You could also do something radical likeuse some form of source code control to manage your revisions etc.

It makes perfect sense if his entire worldview depends on using SSDS for everything, which it does. 

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I'll make changes to the VB5.0 version. then process the VB.net edits and Jam the both of them. That should be fun.
    You really have no idea how difficult a task this is. The vb5 version is so poor it will not even work in vb6! VB.Net finally removes the gosub and return construct from the language so the code stands no chance of compiling anyway.

Luckily somebody is doing all work for him.... 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

... a "v" then enter does the same as a Ctrl/v and much simpler. You can still do the Ctrl/v if you were a masochist and knew nothing about speed. If the quick keys are handy and they use the system lots. They'll remember them.

... Yes pressing those 2 keys at opposite ends of the keyboard will be easier than using the *STANDARD* 2 keys that can be reached with 2 fingers on the same hand.... Thats right... Having read the rest of this thread im not surprised, infact this might be one of your more sane quotes... Still dumb though.

As for the bird... Why is it in your garden? Do you think it knows its in your garden? Maybe it just like the smell of the bull shit that you are constanty spouting.

• Magic Pizza

@morbiuswilters said:

Man... fuck... I'm high as shit right now too..  you think we could split an anchovy pizza??  Im not the biggest fan of fennel but the dough kicks ass!!! 

When I left the British Columbia Building corp job. I had a pizza party. One of the attending chefs cooked up a magic mushroom pizza. Everybody was given a warning. Some ignored it.

When I got the boot at Weyerhaeuser I had a 3 Kegger and pizza party. The local Dominos sold me 60 Doughs for $2 apiece. I gave lots away. I told the invited to wear stripes and clean underwear. In case there was a raid. The police notified the landlord that I was having a pizza, beer and pot protest party. The best landlord in the world, had to come the next day to get his shoes.

We can joke about the older generations drugs: LSD, Magic Mushrooms, Pot. But not the stuff of today - Crystal Meth - This concotion is destroying Whitecourts' young.

• Swamp Search team grows

@CodeSimian said:

Luckily somebody is doing all work for him.... 
    You bet. Now that I'm in the taking advice mode. I'll read these suggestions carefully. I might have to make one or two minor changes to SSDS just so it does the edits the way I need them. If getting the VB.net version running, is too tuff. I'll try another language. or Operating System

I'm getting pretty proud of you Swampies. Keep it up.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I might have to make one or two minor changes to SSDS just so it does the edits the way I need them.

Haha this retard thinks he is going to do a find and replace to switch from VB5 to VB.NET...

HAHAHAHA

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If getting the VB.net version running, is too tuff. I'll try another language. or Operating System
    Dear God, no.  Porting it to an altogether different language would be deleterious to one's mental health, but to attempt to port it to another OS would be insane.  Do you not understand that nobody else uses MCI?  Do you even actually understand what MCI is?

• Quick keys everywhere with SSDS

@wonkoTheSane said:

... Yes pressing those 2 keys at opposite ends of the keyboard will be easier than using the *STANDARD* 2 keys that can be reached with 2 fingers on the same hand.... Thats right... Having read the rest of this thread im not surprised, infact this might be one of your more sane quotes... Still dumb though.

I was going to add another key for the right hand to do the Ctrl/v option but found it was already there. "h"

Context_cnt = -1     'november 10 2000
     '17 December 2004   add in the V or H prompt for insert
         If UCase(ttt) = "V" Or UCase(ttt) = "H" Then
              If Clipboard.GetFormat(vbCFText) Then
                  ttt = Clipboard.GetText(vbCFText)
              End If          '17 December 2004
         End If              '17 December 2004

This code is used at prompt #3 for the search string. Good thing we all got a copy of the source.txt handy. Add whatever quick keys you want to your version. It's easy.

• @bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

If getting the VB.net version running, is too tuff. I'll try another language. or Operating System
    Dear God, no.  Porting it to an altogether different language would be deleterious to one's mental health, but to attempt to port it to another OS would be insane.  Do you not understand that nobody else uses MCI?  Do you even actually understand what MCI is?

So when can we expect the GTK+ Linux version, StorerSwamp?

• Swampies will Help

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Then one of the Swampies will just have to write a MCI replacement. Won't they.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I might have to make one or two minor changes to SSDS just so it does the edits the way I need them.

Haha this retard thinks he is going to do a find and replace to switch from VB5 to VB.NET...

I've had to do about 20 different find and replaces thus far, and that's after the IDE did the auto-upgrade.

Also, while on the topic, how should I handle this: The original SSDS code handled all errors in one labeled section (Errors_31000).  Since I broke out this and other label sections to separate subs, now all the other subs need error handling.  I initially had them just call Errors_31000, but that doesn't work because you can't resume from a sub higher on the stack than where the error originated.  Should I copy the entirety of Errors_31000 to the end of every procedure, or should I try to move only the parts of Error_31000 that apply to a given procedure?  Which is more in the spirit of a simple upgrade port?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I was going to add another key for the right hand to do the Ctrl/v option but found it was already there. "h"

Right.  So here's this wonderful program which is your life's work, which you won't stop talking about, and which claim will solve all problems in computing.  AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.  Nobody is going to use a program that even the author doesn't understand, fool!

Ever heard of a little something called "documentation"?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Then one of the Swampies will just have to write a MCI replacement. Won't they. I AM A SELFISH ASSHOLE.

Yes, we know.  Stop reminding us already.

• A more prouder SpectateSwamp I never knew

@bstorer said:

Also, while on the topic, how should I handle this: The original SSDS code handled all errors in one labeled section (Errors_31000).  Since I broke out this and other label sections to separate subs, now all the other subs need error handling.  I initially had them just call Errors_31000, but that doesn't work because you can't resume from a sub higher on the stack than where the error originated.  Should I copy the entirety of Errors_31000 to the end of every procedure, or should I try to move only the parts of Error_31000 that apply to a given procedure?  Which is more in the spirit of a simple upgrade port?

Good going BstorerSwamp. I would leave the original Errors_31000 intact and trap the few errors that will occur locally. I wouldn't worry about the MCIsendstring stuff to start with. Just the try and get the text search and display going. Then maybe pictures. I know it won't be easy. There have been enough changes to SSDS over the years. That a tiny change here or there breaks some other feature. Lots of testing required.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

HAHAHAHA

OMG OMG OMG! I can't wait to do a diff on the two files. Im sure there will be a WTF in there far far far superior to anything we experienced before! Go SS go! You can do it! Were all cheering you on, we need something to laugh at!

Probably if (anInterestingVariableNameToIndicateThatWeMightHaveAPossibilityOfBeingInVBDotNet) goto handleMyScrewUp;

• @SpectateSwamp said:

So if the developer of a piece of software doesn't even know what it does how on earth is the user supposed to know?

@SpectateSwamp said:

how on earthwas anybody other than you supposed to know that is the place to make the change?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Good thing we all got a copy of the source.txt handy. Add whatever quick keys you want to your version. It's easy.
    there is nothing good about source.txt (for gods sake why isn't this a vb project anyway????) or the fact people are downloading it. Nobody else gives a toss about your concept of quick keys anyway.

Also nobody else can compile this application - virtually nobody has vb5 any more and vb6 or higher cannot compile this junk! That effectively means it isn't easy at all.

• Text features first

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

So if the developer of a piece of software doesn't even know what it does how on earth is the user supposed to know?

@SpectateSwamp said:

how on earthwas anybody other than you supposed to know that is the place to make the change?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Good thing we all got a copy of the source.txt handy. Add whatever quick keys you want to your version. It's easy.
    there is nothing good about source.txt (for gods sake why isn't this a vb project anyway????) or the fact people are downloading it. Nobody else gives a toss about your concept of quick keys anyway.

Also nobody else can compile this application - virtually nobody has vb5 any more and vb6 or higher cannot compile this junk! That effectively means it isn't easy at all.

I'll have to do the builds for you. Email me the source.txt or otherwise make it available. It just takes seconds. Not being able to test the existing one by enabling a print / display makes it difficult to follow through. I know I need it. As far as the search and replace for the code. I'm sure I'll have to add a couple features that pertain only to edits from a file. Line removal, multiple line inserts. Allow for control characters to be inserted at the beginning of a matching line. Ie comment out the line with " 'Clear for VB.net " being inserted in front of the line. If I can clear out everything other than the text display features and get that to work. What a start that will be.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

My Bird. What a beauty.

I'm still waiting for new videos with voice narration describing what we are seeing. That would also help others who stumble across them on YouTube (or wherever).

• @joemck said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

WTF, "medicine birds" now?

He said "medicinie" birds, not "medicine" birds.  Most normal people would write "medicine-y" or perhaps even "medical".  But for Spectate, making up new words is fun!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

A more prouder SpectateSwamp I never knew

A more perplexed CodeSimian I never knew.  Why can't you write like a normal person with an IQ above room temperature?

• @CodeSimian said:

IQ above room temperature?

LMFAO - especially if you are using celcius!

Oh man... I needed a good laugh like that, thanks!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I wish I had a proper look before my last post... Why is the bird in your yard? Is it the big lump of bread taped to the fence? I think, it just might be.

• @wonkoTheSane said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I wish I had a proper look before my last post... Why is the bird in your yard? Is it the big lump of bread taped to the fence? I think, it just might be.

OMG you're right! O_O

My only guess is that the town folks want to keep him busy so they put it there without telling him. It's better for them to have this psycho chasing birds than chasing people.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'll have to do the builds for you. Email me the source.txt or otherwise make it available. It just takes seconds.
    So I can experience the joys of punchcard based development, I can have a several hour turn around between edits. Joy is mine!

@SpectateSwamp said:

Not being able to test the existing one by enabling a print / display makes it difficult to follow through. I know I need it.
    I really do not understand any of that.

@SpectateSwamp said:

As far as the search and replace for the code. I'm sure I'll have to add a couple features that pertain only to edits from a file. Line removal, multiple line inserts. Allow for control characters to be inserted at the beginning of a matching line. Ie comment out the line with " 'Clear for VB.net " being inserted in front of the line. If I can clear out everything other than the text display features and get that to work. What a start that will be.
    Again I fail to understand anything you are saying... If you are on about managing the source or something then I would strongly suggest either installing some real source code control (I would recomend subversion and tortoisesvn) or create a sourceforge project and upload your code there. Jam It!

• @wonkoTheSane said:

Is it the big lump of bread taped to the fence?

O_o ... I didn't notice the electrical-taped bread. OMFG.

SPECTATE!!!! Use a friggin' large suet feeder to keep the bread contained! Your "WC" might accidentally eat that tape!

EDIT: And while you're at it, use SUET, not bread. The birds like it more.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Your "WC" might accidentally eat that tape!

I should think a medicine bird would be able to medicate itself. 

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@wonkoTheSane said:
    Is it the big lump of bread taped to the fence?

O_o ... I didn't notice the electrical-taped bread. OMFG.

SPECTATE!!!! Use a friggin' large suet feeder to keep the bread contained! Your "WC" might accidentally eat that tape!

Yeah ok, you will surely get through to him... Obviously that happens all the time... Nice try though.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

In case you need a picture, this is what one looks like:

Suet Basket

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

Suet Basket

You. Are. Stupid.  How is my trapper. Friend supposed to trap a. Bird in that???

•  @jakkle said:

just tack this on the end:

It is live. I changed some things, and added a whole crap load of links. Hope you don't mind. Let me know if I screwed anything up on you.

Now we need someone to write some content for the magic rocks and dinosaur skin page... since we are linking and referring to them pretty heavily.

• more Spooks

@AbbydonKrafts said:

@AbbydonKrafts said:

Suet Basket

Sure hope he doesn't eat any tape. Instead of suet I use unsalted butter burried in the middle of the unsliced bread. Sometimes there are other treats in the middle. The Hoodie can rip through the wholewheat bread like it was butter.

I'll try and upload the only video clip where I saw something strange while videoing. Maybe a plane (a very shiny one) or maybe not. I'll put it up temporary at archive.org

• Swamptycism

Swamptycism is the religion of "those who have no clue at all", this group of individuals are oftenly ignored by society and their existance is commonly believed to be a urban myth. These Swampies -believers of Swamptycism- practice their religion in ultimate secrecy, since if anyone would know of their beliefs they would soon be throw to the lions, or at least get fired from their jobs/laughed at.

Swamptycism was based upon the belief that there is no individual with a more absurd set of ideas that the one called SpectateSwamp, this being has so much information that would commonly be considered "wrong" about our world that most people have come to realize he's actually from another dimension -or a higher plane of existance, if one will- and therefore shall be considered the one and only Doog. The idea of such a hebetudinoushebetudinous -commonly called "stupid"- individual is sitll not easy to fit into the general population, so the elders o Swamptycism have decided to separate this being into 3: _Doog Peterson; _SpectateSwamp; and _The Mighty Swamplings; this concept is known as the SwampTrilogy.

Tales exist o a time when bleh, I was going to go back and forth making a huge post, but I kinda got hungry now so I'll just post this and see if you would like me to further develop on the topic (adding info on the begginings of the religion; the world according to Swamp; idols, stones and other tools used by Swampies; the accost and covenant of the Ener Key and the Jammed Noodle; etc).-

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Instead of suet I use unsalted butter burried in the middle of the unsliced bread. Sometimes there are other treats in the middle. The Hoodie can rip through the wholewheat bread like it was butter.

Whoa.  What does he rip through unsalted butter like? 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Whoa.  What does he rip through unsalted butter like? 
    Salted butter.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Sure hope he doesn't eat any tape. Instead of suet I use unsalted butter burried in the middle of the unsliced bread. Sometimes there are other treats in the middle. The Hoodie can rip through the wholewheat bread like it was butter.

You can put stuff other than suet in a suet feeder... PUT THE BREAD IN THE SUET FEEDER SO THE BIRD DOESN'T CHOKE ON THE TAPE

@SpectateSwamp said:

I'll try and upload the only video clip where I saw something strange while videoing. Maybe a plane (a very shiny one) or maybe not. I'll put it up temporary at archive.org

I haven't seen the video yet, but it might help you to know that some planes have LIGHTS on them.

• @joemck said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I haven't seen the video yet, but it might help you to know that some planes have LIGHTS on them.
    And some actually are very shiny.

• I bet the Hoodie can rip through tape like it was bread, so it should be okay.

MPS's "How is my trapper. Friend supposed to trap a. Bird in that???" post is a source of hard lols.

I can't help but wonder what SpectateSwamp would do in Soviet Russia... 

• @Eternal Density said:

I can't help but wonder what SpectateSwamp would do in Soviet Russia... 

Oh, I'm sure he'd do just fine.... 

• @bstorer said:

@joemck said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

And some actually are very shiny.

You fool! What is that supposed to prove?  Has SpectateSwamp taught you nothing:

shinny

• @CodeSimian said:

You fool! What is that supposed to prove?  Has SpectateSwamp taught you nothing:

Goddamn it!  I just laughed so hard my wife demanded to know what was so funny.  We really need to get that website in order so she can understand.

• @bstorer said:

@CodeSimian said:

Goddamn it!  I just laughed so hard my wife demanded to know what was so funny.  We really need to get that website in order so she can understand.

StorerSwamp, Don't ForGet Too Check The 2.5 GB Uncompressed Video at archive.org.  Gif No Gif Is Know Way To Search For Aliens.

• @bstorer said:

@CodeSimian said:

Me too, except, around here everyone ignores my periodic maniacal laughs.