It Support from hell.

• Hiya! First time poster here, been reading wtf for a long time thou..  And i have to vent now before as i dont have membership card to Scary Devil Monastery.

Im working on a it consultant company, we have ruffly 250 people working around here and there and our it support team is the shittiest i've ever been in contact with and i've been doing it support myself too - small office and big *nix farms. 

So, what is my pain today? Couple of weeks ago i was assigned to internal project to bugfix and upgrade one internal application that was done about couple of years ago. My PM sent a email to it support so that him and me would get a frigin access to the subversion for the project we would be working on.. This happened ruffly 2 weeks ago.

I got email today (ruffly modified because there's this legal d

Hi,

Please see the company policy regarding access right requests:

"All changes to access rights (eg. project folders and version control
    systems) must be made through the FART (Foobar Access Request Tool)
    system. Other requests will not be processed. You can find more
    information about FART in the Knowledge Base."

- Foobar 

Oh, we have a knowledge database, so i ask around the office whats the url and people already started to laugh at me. Why? Cow-orker said  "yeah, i got similar message that i should look info in the kb but its not accessible from network segment we are on.". Knowing that his machine is in "security restricted environment" as they are working on projects for company X i thought that i might not be so unlucky that my access would be blocked, so i head out to kb.foobar.com and what do i see ? 

output of frigin <? phpinfo(); ?> script..

I tried to sniff the fart from the page but didnt find it... WTF!?!

Oh and the other thing..

Around end of January it support sent announcement that our pgp keyserver's host is changing and the new host is yaddayadda.foobar.com. YEY! Finally, i thought. I've been working on this company for 2 years and way back when i was hired i was happy to notice that company has policy to use encryption and signed messages. Too bad i wasnt able to connect to keyserver and thus send my key there or verify any incoming emails without the hassle of acquiring people's public keys manually. So, i send it support a ticket then.. got no reply. And after this new change.. Oh boy! It didnt work, i was so supprised!  Obviously i opened a new ticket and been waiting a reply ever since.. 2 years, 2 tickets (and few reminder emails).. not even a single reply.

What else could  i tell..  Oh YES!  That ultra tight secure network we have in the office. We are actually in a room, isolated from all "non verified" personnel to enter this room by key patch..  This room is also so secure that we had to install shaders to the glass wall so that noone can snoop us.  Well, everything is nice and dandy but there was a somewhat small problem last year..  After moving to this ultra secure network, we where also prohibited to access our office printer. I dont even remember anymore how long it was so but finally one pm bought a printer and installed it to the network cuz we just couldnt get access to the proper laser printer. 

I'll take a photo some day of the "office server" thats in the cabling cabinet.

Mail server is a joke.. Yesterday i send about 10 emails to my local account as result of testing the app im working on .. arrived 1½ hours later to my inbox.

I have roughly 10x faster internet connection at home...

And today, elevator didnt work .. well, it kinda worked, it just didnt allow us to come to our floor..  I would so love to blame our it support for that too but its not really their fault.. i hope ?

• @rasjani said:

I tried to sniff the fart from the page but didnt find it

Plz mail me the codez - I'd like to make my blog fart as well!

• @rasjani said:

I'm finding this whole rant TRWTF.

• @rasjani said:

What else could  i tell..  Oh YES!  That ultra tight secure network we have in the office. We are actually in a room, isolated from all "non verified" personnel to enter this room by key patch.

My friend has a story of when he was working for a medium-sized regional insurance company in downtown Cincinnati.  They were IT support only, and had security in the building, but basically it was just security badges with a limited number of guards. 

An unknown lady entered their office one day asking to buy insurance. 

Complete silence.  All the things that should be said kind of fought for dominance and never made it out of their mouths. 

"Who are you?" "Where did you come from?"  "How did you get in?"  "That's not what we do here."  

• @rasjani said:

yeah, i got similar message that i should look info in the kb but its not accessible from network segment we are on.

If you work in an IT consulting company and your own internal network isn't set up correctly, I shudder to think of what you do for your customers.

@rasjani said:

Obviously i opened a new ticket and been waiting a reply ever since.. 2 years, 2 tickets (and few reminder emails).. not even a single reply

My money's on the fact that the person responsible for giving you access doesn't have access to the ticket system.

• @bobday said:

@rasjani said:

I'm finding this whole rant TRWTF.

Srywllnothappenagain.

Just that having asked to "Look for FART" from tool that does work in 3 different ways based on one's network configuration and location just adds to an insult and validates a ventilation.

And yes, *FART* is the actual acronym thats given to the tool.

•  If we're gonna be jumping from one topic to the other then here's a quickie.

The gs program in Suse 10.x (reads ghostscript files) is 3 friggin years old. And there are no newer RPMs for this distro. Not a major problem for the majority of users but if your printing system uses it to charge for print jobs and you keep stumbling on its bugs you're hosed. Unless of course you enjoy rolling your own RPMs...

• The Real WTF(tm) is that rasjani keeps spelling "roughly" incorrectly.  And that a supposed IT worker fails to capitalize IT every single time making it hard to tell whether he's saying "it" or "IT" (since "it" is, of course, an actual word).  I think my brain FARTed a few times reading that.

• @Heron said:

rasjani keeps spelling "roughly" incorrectly

Damn you to heck, I wanted to say this.

• Hiya!  ruffly ... the shittiest i've ever been in contact with ... What is my pain today? ... ruffly ... people already started to laugh at me. Why? ... sniff the fart ... and the other thing.. It didnt work, i was so supprised!  

Mail server is a joke ... I have roughly 10x faster internet connection at home...

And today, elevator didnt work ..

Good job! Attention everyone March 12 is officially complain about your job and company day.

Let me get started on my list ...

... crap that's gonna have to wait I have work to do. 

• @Heron said:

The Real WTF(tm) is that rasjani keeps spelling "roughly" incorrectly.  And that a supposed IT worker fails to capitalize IT every single time making it hard to tell whether he's saying "it" or "IT" (since "it" is, of course, an actual word).  I think my brain FARTed a few times reading that.

Yeah, it was hard to read.  But he's from Finland.  Cut him some slack, your Finnish is far worse than his English.  

My best is "Oompa loompa jibba jabba voor bork bork bork".

• Yeah, it was hard to read. But he's from Finland. Cut him some slack, your Finnish is far worse than his English.

At least you got a real word in there. Too bad it's Dutch, not Finnish. You've been tricked. The following is Finnish:

Kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuudellisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissaansakaankopahan?

• @Vempele said:

At least you got a real word in there. Too bad it's Dutch, not Finnish. You've been tricked. The following is Finnish:

Kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuudellisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissaansakaankopahan?

Translated into English - "Hello". 

• @Vempele said:

Yeah, it was hard to read. But he's from Finland. Cut him some slack, your Finnish is far worse than his English.

I'll call your bluff on the grammaticality of that.  There's still "epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän", though.

• @vyznev said:

@Vempele said:

I'll call your bluff on the grammaticality of that.  There's still "epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän", though.

Pluralize it for one more letter. :) Anyway, I found that word in a book on grammar; it was included as a curiosity.

• I know that (some variation of) Donaudampfschiffsgesellschaftkapitänskajutentürschlüßel
    and
    Hottentotenstrottelmutternttentaterlattengitterwetterkotterbeutelratten
    are real German words.

The top one means something like "The key of the door of the cabin of the captain of the personnel of the ship of steam of the Danube". The bottom one, according to the NYTimes:

A Dresden paper, the Weldmann, statens that among the Hottentots (Hottentotent) the kangaroos (Beutelratte) are found the great numbers. Many of them wander over the country, free and unmolested; others less fortunate are taken by hunters and put into cages, (Kotter,) provided with covers (Lattengitter) to keep out the pain.

•  @rasjani said:

you have to close the page window quickly when you hear it fart again, then you'll sniff it. 

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

@rasjani said:

you have to close the page window quickly when you hear it fart again, then you'll sniff it. 

What an intelligent and thoughtful way to revive a dead thread. Certainly worth it too. Thanks for the contribution.