Repeat1 (like, forever)

• Xilinx might have some of the most gifted silicon engineers out there, they sure know how to make excellent FPGAs. What they don't have a clue about is software. All Xilinx software that I have ever used has brought me to the brink of tears. It's not just that it doesn't work, its also exrutiating slow.

Here is a little gem of programming that I came across when uninstalling EDK 9.2i (uninstalled it because it crashed when trying to convert my 9.1i projects to 9.2i, shocker huh?). The uninstaller would hang right at the end (after it said that uninstall was complete). After some snooping around in a process monitor i found this neat bat-file:

:Repeat1
    del "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\_setup.exe"
    if exist "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\_setup.exe" goto Repeat1
    :Repeat2
    del "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\setup.exe"
    if exist "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\setup.exe" goto Repeat2
    :Repeat3
    del "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\*.dll"
    if exist "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt\*.dll" goto Repeat3
    rmdir -p "C:\Xilinx\Xilinx92i\bin\nt"
    del "C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\_xiluninst.bat"<o:p></o:p>

So, guess what happens when it fails to delete one of those files? (hint: it makes the install time a few [infinity]s longer)

• "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

-attributed to Ben Franklin, Albert Einstein, etc. 

• Ah, the classic "Just keep trying" form of error handling. It's like the code was written by a supervillian...OUR CODE CAN NOT FAIL! NO ERRORS CAN STOP US NOW! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

• I preffer the classic:
    "What error? I don't hear you! LALALALALALALALALA!"

• You guys are so pessimistic! 

What ever happened to good old fashioned "if at first you don't succeed, try try again"?

• If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. - W.C. Fields