Return of the walled garden



  • With the mysterious decline in popularity of the walled garden -- and sudden craze for this internet thing where people can browse anywhere they like -- it's nice to see a website telling us where to go again. This page appears when you submit your vote in the Logie Awards:

     Logie Awards Voting

    I don't know whether to admire their honesty (they've realised no-one wants to hang around on their website) or deplore their thinking. Aren't I allowed to choose where I browse on the internet?

    See it yourself at http://tvweek.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=375146 



  • The Logie Awards

     For those of you foreigners who don't know what the Logie Awards are, it's like the Australian version of the Emmy Awards with less money and no picket lines.

     If you're clicking through just to see that page above, at least vote for someone decent. Make your vote count! Here's my voting guide:
    <font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">TV WEEK Silver Logie: Most Popular Actor: </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Chris Lilley (Ja'mie/Mr G/Jonah, </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Summer Heights High</font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">)
    </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">TV WEEK Silver Logie: Most Popular Actress: </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Magda Szubanski (Sharon, </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Kath & Kim</font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">)
    </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">TV WEEK Silver Logie: Most Popular Presenter: </font> <font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Andrew Denton (</font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Enough Rope With Andrew Denton</font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">)
    </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">TV WEEK Gold Logie: Most Popular Personality on TV: Chris Lilley</font>
    <font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Most Popular Factual Program: </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Choir Of Hard Knocks
    </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Most Popular Lifestyle Program: </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">The Cook And The Chef
    </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">Most Popular Light Entertainment Program: </font><font color="#416f85" face="Verdana" size="2">The Chaser's War On Everything

    </font>

     



  • By the way, in the time it took me to take the screenshot and write up the article, it seems my page timed out. So when I made my choice of website and clicked 'Next' I got this error:

    Timeout error loading next URL for Logie Awards

    Damn!

    It's a good thing I took a screenshot of those URLs on the previous page, otherwise how would I have known where to go next on the internet?



  • Returning to the walled garden

    You should always video your internet so you can slomo to see where you haven't been yet.



  • @AlpineR said:

    You should always video your internet so you can slomo to see where you haven't been yet.

    And so you can randomly view sites you've visited!



  • I like their honesty about the award names. We make no claim that the best person wins these awards, just the most popular one.



  • @gutch said:

    Timeout error loading next URL for Logie Awards 

     That's some vintage GIF background there. Did they have a little animated envelope with an @ on it to email them?



  • @aleph said:

    @AlpineR said:

    You should always video your internet so you can slomo to see where you haven't been yet.

    And so you can randomly view sites you've visited!

     

    And manually catalogue phrases in a flat text file for future RANDOM searching. 



  • @PeriSoft said:

     That's some vintage GIF background there. Did they have a little animated envelope with an @ on it to email them?

     

    Ironically that error page had no links at all – not even animated GIF links. It's a dead-end. You're stuck and can't navigate from that page. With no URLs to choose from a list, the only solution is to ring up your internet provider and ask them to give you a new internet with links on it.



  • @gutch said:

     For those of you foreigners who don't know what the Logie Awards are, it's like the Australian version of the Emmy Awards with less money and no picket lines.
     

    The real WTF is people still watch the Logies.

    For that matter, people still buy TV Week ??

    What a strange country we have.



  • @Quinnum said:

    The real WTF is people still watch the Logies.

    For that matter, people still buy TV Week ??

    What a strange country we have.

     

    The Logies are still useful as an opportunity for The Chaser team to pull off a stupid stunt. 



  • @gutch said:

    Ironically that error page had no links at all – not even animated GIF links. It's a dead-end. You're stuck and can't navigate from that page. With no URLs to choose from a list, the only solution is to ring up your internet provider and ask them to give you a new internet with links on it.

    What gives me that warm feeling in my stomach is the certainity that in this very moment, somewhere on this globe, someone just called tech support to report panically "Help!!! I deleted all the links from my internet! What do I do now???"


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.