A random thought - "IT Nightmares"

• I just had an idea for a great TV series - in the spirit of "Kitchen Nightmares", the IT field needs a guy like Gordon Ramsay to go around to small companies and point out exactly what's wrong with their infrastructure/programs, and whip them into shape to fix it, and not take shit from ignorant businesspeople who think they know everything about anything just because they're "The Boss".

Think about it - how many companies are out there who try to skim and cut costs as much as possible, even when it means using garbage systems that barely do anything, yet expect us (i.e. IT Pros) to deal with it on a daily basis?  Things like using refurbished computers instead of buying new ones to save a few bucks, using a 10-year old office program or, god forbid, a database because they don't want to shell out for a real one, contracting out development to the cheapest bidder instead of paying for decent help, trying to do everything to avoid upgrading even when an upgrade would help them grow their business beyond a two-bit operation.  People like this. 

These people should be shown the error of their ways, and shown that you shouldn't be able to run a business unless you're prepared to pay for it.  Like the old saying goes, you need to spend money to make money.  A lot of these bastards don't seem to get the first part, but want the second part.

The only question is, who is intimidating enough to double as our Gordon Ramsay?

• I imagine the super bowl half time would be lengthened to two hours to air two episodes of that.

• that's easy.

• The only person I can think of off the top of my head is Steve Jobs, but in reality in order to have any such show you would in fact need a team of hard ass experts just to cover all possible areas

• @Hitsuji said:

The only person I can think of off the top of my head is Steve Jobs, but in reality in order to have any such show you would in fact need a team of hard ass experts just to cover all possible areas

I was thinking the same thing.  I think you would need to have a main guy who over saw everyone.  This guy would be like Ramsay.  Then I would get a hostess to interact between Ramsay and the customer.  Of course the hostess would have to be hot. :)  As far as the cast, it would need to be the Ramsay type of guy, a programmer and/or web developer(this would depend of the company), a web designer(depending if the company's site sucks), a network admin, and a hardware admin.

This show would have to run on something like TLC or CNET.  The scary thing is non-IT people that saw this show would realise they are making a lot of the mistakes that appear on the show.

• Somebody call Bill Gates.  We could sway him by giving money to charity. 

• Yeah, an hour of a nerd sitting at a desk, with Gordon Ramsey shouting over his shoulder... 

"You idiot, you complete F****ing idiot! You passed by reference instead of f*****ing value! You have no F******ing *****s you ******ing w****er! YOU'RE LEAKING MEMORY ALL OVER THE F*****ING PLACE!! Even your c***ing abstractions are f***ing leaky!
    And what the f****ing f***** is that!!!! It's an infinite f****ing recursive loop on the indexer you utter c****!!!"

And that's before Gordon find out that they're using Oracle, and an old unpatched version at that! 

•  No no, it wouldnt be for *US*, meaning IT guys, it would be for the shitty companies we work for!  More along the lines of:

"Gordon":  Let's see the server room

(Boss takes him to a small room with a few cheap, refurbished E-Machines)

"Gordon":  What the F*** is this?  You call THIS a server room?  You're running a BUSINESS on a f***ing bunch of f***ing refurbished computers?  Your f***ing network runs off of a f***ing Linksys router!  Your network, IT'S GARBAGE!

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

No no, it wouldnt be for US, meaning IT guys, it would be for the shitty companies we work for!
    Right, because every wtf on this site is a direct cause of the PHB.

• @Lingerance said:

Right, because every wtf on this site is a direct cause of the PHB.

I didn't mean for the show to be related to the WTFs on this site, just my general experience with similar companies to what I see on Kitchen Nightmares - incompetent staff who know shit but think they do (that certainly could be IT people), cheap bosses who want to rake in the money but use sub-par equipment to save a few bucks, that sort of thing.  The idea wasn't specific to WTFery on this site. 

• Considered Harmful

public forum
    lit., a hole everyone uses