Not an exit

• Not a real WTF, but I thought it was still funny.

Update: the sign is on the left and Firefox seems to crop it instead of showing a scrollbar.

• Kinda like how the exit signs with arrows point to walls at the school I attend.

• @Lingerance said:

Kinda like how the exit signs with arrows point to walls at the school I attend.

Don't worry at least your fire exits don't point to windows with no fire-escapes :)

• @zlogic said:

Update: the sign is on the left

<font face="Arial" size="2">Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word left that I wasn't previously aware of.</font>

• @emurphy said:

@zlogic said:

Update: the sign is on the left

<font face="Arial" size="2">Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word left that I wasn't previously aware of.</font>

Because it's not an exit. It's on your right only when leaving which you can't do because the sign says so. When entering it would be on your left.

• I've never seen a data center that looks so much like my high school cafeteria. 

• I thought it was a laundry room.

• This is probably because I'm too young for this stuff, but what bothers me most is that tape drive thingy in the middle. Does this thing look like fresh out of a cheap sci-fi flick to anyone else?

Please tell me they didn't really look like this during the days...

• During the days?  There are places that still look like that now...

• I like the funky-coloured button rows on the tape drive. I feel like pressing them just to see if I could get some dry synth sounds coming out of the cabinets.

• @PSWorx said:

This is probably because I'm too young for this stuff, but what bothers me most is that tape drive thingy in the middle. Does this thing look like fresh out of a cheap sci-fi flick to anyone else?

Please tell me they didn't really look like this during the days...

Why do you think all those cheap sci-fi flicks had the same idea?

I'm pretty sure they didn't all having fancy coloured buttons, though.

• At my university they had one of these blue beasts (a DECsystem 10). Great machines. Could serve 80 students! The text editor sucked, though. And yes, they all look exactly like this one. Two of the cabinets are probably for core. Back then, that didn't mean "one of the CPUs on the chip", but ferromagnetic memory: little iron rings that could be magnitized one way or another and thus stored 0 or 1. Great stuff, but a bit hard to imagine how much 1Gb of those would cost...

• At my old job we used to have to program memory cores for aircraft.  The core stored the program to tell the instrument the specific type of aircraft in which it was installed (F-16, C-130, etc).  We had to figure out how to program them first, as the manufacturer had a fire in 1973 and lost the manual.  Good times.

• What's so funny about this?  I've seen these dozens of times, it's no different from traffic signs that say "No Exit" or "Not a Through Street".  It would be a little more helpful if they had an arrow pointing to where the exit is, but if there are several actual exits then it might not be necessary.

•  I guess I don't see the problem.   Clearly that is a door leaving the room, but one which does not lead to a building exit. 

As for the "tape drive thingy", it is not a magnetic tape drive....most likely paper tape.   Also, the short brown cabinet right before the printer is likely a hard disk drive.  At least it reminds me of some I worked with on DEC systems while in college.

• @sibtrag said:

I guess I don't see the problem.   Clearly that is a door leaving the room, but one which does not lead to a building exit. 

In fact it probably is mandated by some fire code specifically because it does not lead to a building exit. Can't have a fire in the server room and everyone bolting through that door if it's a dead end.

As for facilities I've seen the inside of several huge IBM plants in the mid-late 80s including the men in white coats. Main difference was the computer operators all chain smoked and you could still smoke in the workplace then. Although the white coat rooms were no smoking.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@medialint said:

In fact it probably is mandated by some fire code specifically because it does not lead to a building exit.

Some countries mandate that fire exits have signs saying they're fire exits. With lights that don't go off when the power does. This sign is not a result of such a mandate.

(Please nobody reply and say this isn't the case... please?)

• @PJH said:

Some countries mandate that fire exits have signs saying they're fire exits. With lights that don't go off when the power does. This sign is not a result of such a mandate.

(Please nobody reply and say this isn't the case... please?)

In fact it looks like to the left is the actual exit and its probably signed. It wouldn't have to be a country or even state wide thing either city government can enact such things and often do so as a result of a previous event, possibly a fire in which someone got trapped in the building because they went through a door seeking an exit and got trapped instead. 

• mmmmmm.... back in the days when men were men and logos meant something. I so much want to find one of those old |D|I|G|I|T|A|L| logo plates and affix it to my car for fun.

Sorry, geeked out, but I'm better now.

• @jetcitywoman said:

mmmmmm.... back in the days when men were men and logos meant something. I so much want to find one of those old |D|I|G|I|T|A|L| logo plates and affix it to my car for fun.

Sorry, geeked out, but I'm better now.

I have the Native Instruments Reaktor logo on mine:

Its a clear sticker white print looks like it actually belongs on the (red) car ...