Deleting the Alternate Control



  • I am the Project Coordinator for a website.  One of our clients was having trouble logging in, because she said she had entered the wrong password too many times.  Our site doesn't implement a lockout policy like this, so I wasn't sure what to tell her.  I asked her to walk me through what she was doing, step by step.

    Client: "I delete the alternate control, enter my password, then press enter.  Then it tells me that my account is locked out."
    Me: "What was that first step again?"
    Client: "Which one?"
    Me: "What exactly are you deleting?  I don't understand."
    Client: "I press the delete key, then the alternate key, then the control key."

     

     



  • I can imagine her deleting Windows, which in some keyboards is just between Control and Alternate.



  • @mrclennon said:

    I am the Project Coordinator for a website.  One of our clients was having trouble logging in, because she said she had entered the wrong password too many times.  Our site doesn't implement a lockout policy like this, so I wasn't sure what to tell her.  I asked her to walk me through what she was doing, step by step.

    Client: "I delete the alternate control, enter my password, then press enter.  Then it tells me that my account is locked out."
    Me: "What was that first step again?"
    Client: "Which one?"
    Me: "What exactly are you deleting?  I don't understand."
    Client: "I press the delete key, then the alternate key, then the control key."

     

     

    So she was having trouble logging into her windows desktop, and mistook that for logging into your website?  That's all I can figure, if she was using ctrl-alt-del to log in, and then getting locked out.  As far as "deleting the alternate control," dyslexic, perhaps?



  •  I always set my alternate delete control before I step away from the computer.  Feel more safe that way.



  • To shadowman... Yes, she was trying to log into a separate machine which we had to set up for her - specifically to use our website.  Why?  Because that's what she was used to when it was a desktop application, and she didn't want to (or wasn't capable of) learning something new.  In fact, we had to create a shortcut on the desktop which would execute a VBScript which would open the browser and automatically log her into the website.

    Any time there is any sort of technical problem, we get a call from her.  Windows just crashed?  We get a call.  Internet's down?  Yep, we get a call.  We just run a website, but to her we are the embodiment of all things technical.



  • That sequence of keystrokes (delete, alt, ctrl) won't even trigger the SAS: you've got to press delete last in order for it to work.  Delete -> Alt -> Ctrl would just be interpreted as a delete keystroke followed by the beginning of a chord that never finishes.

    Edit: personally, I always alternate my controlled deletions before I get up, or I open a window to "L".



  • @shadowman said:

    So she was having trouble logging into her windows desktop, and mistook that for logging into your website?  That's all I can figure, if she was using ctrl-alt-del to log in, and thengetting locked out.  As far as "deleting the alternate control," dyslexic, perhaps?
     

    -2 points for explaining the obvious.

    -2 points for quoting the whole OP.

     

     



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    -2 points for explaining the obvious.

    -2 points for quoting the whole OP.

    OMG HOW DO I EARN POINTS ON YOUR WEBSITE!?



  • @rox_midge said:

    OMG HOW DO I EARN POINTS ON YOUR WEBSITE!?
     

    Cash.



  • @rox_midge said:

    That sequence of keystrokes (delete, alt, ctrl) won't even trigger

     

    Yep.

     

    Alt>Ctrl>Del - fine

    Ctrl>Alt>Del - fine

    Del>Ctrl>Alt - no

    Del>Alt>Ctrl - no

    Alt>Del>Ctrl - no

    Ctrl>Del>Alt - no



  • @mrclennon said:

    I am the Project Coordinator for a website.  One of our clients was having trouble logging in, because she said she had entered the wrong password too many times.  Our site doesn't implement a lockout policy like this, so I wasn't sure what to tell her.  I asked her to walk me through what she was doing, step by step.

    Client: "I delete the alternate control, enter my password, then press enter.  Then it tells me that my account is locked out."
    Me: "What was that first step again?"
    Client: "Which one?"
    Me: "What exactly are you deleting?  I don't understand."
    Client: "I press the delete key, then the alternate key, then the control key."

     

     

     

     My reply to her:

    Open dos prompt and type format c. 



  • @Lysis said:

     My reply to her:

    Open dos prompt and type format c. 

     

    Prompt open dos? what kind of format? a c-type format? 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @shadowman said:

    So she was having trouble logging into her windows desktop, and mistook that for logging into your website?  That's all I can figure, if she was using ctrl-alt-del to log in, and thengetting locked out.  As far as "deleting the alternate control," dyslexic, perhaps?
     

    -2 points for explaining the obvious.

    -2 points for quoting the whole OP.

     


    Hahahahahahaha.  You always have the wittiest things to say.

    How many points do I lose for doing this? 

    @mrclennon said:


    I am the Project Coordinator for a website.  One of our clients was
    having trouble logging in, because she said she had entered the wrong
    password too many times.  Our site doesn't implement a lockout policy
    like this, so I wasn't sure what to tell her.  I asked her to walk me
    through what she was doing, step by step.

    Client: "I delete the alternate control, enter my password, then press enter.  Then it tells me that my account is locked out."
    Me: "What was that first step again?"
    Client: "Which one?"
    Me: "What exactly are you deleting?  I don't understand."
    Client: "I press the delete key, then the alternate key, then the control key."

     

    @H|B said:

    can imagine her deleting Windows, which in some keyboards is just between Control and Alternate.

     

    @EricDV said:


    I always set my alternate delete control before I step away from the computer.  Feel more safe that way.

     

    @mrclennon said:

     To shadowman... Yes, she was trying to log into a separate machine
    which we had to set up for her - specifically to use our website. 
    Why?  Because that's what she was used to when it was a desktop
    application, and she didn't want to (or wasn't capable of) learning
    something new.  In fact, we had to create a shortcut on the desktop
    which would execute a VBScript which would open the browser and
    automatically log her into the website.

    Any time there is any
    sort of technical problem, we get a call from her.  Windows just
    crashed?  We get a call.  Internet's down?  Yep, we get a call.  We
    just run a website, but to her we are the embodiment of all things
    technical.

     

    @rox_midge said:



    That
    sequence of keystrokes (delete, alt, ctrl) won't even trigger the SAS:
    you've got to press delete last in order for it to work.  Delete ->
    Alt -> Ctrl would just be interpreted as a delete keystroke followed
    by the beginning of a chord that never finishes.


    Edit: personally, I always alternate my controlled deletions before I get up, or I open a window to "L".

    								    </div>
    								    
    								    </div><p><br></blockquote>&nbsp;</p><p>@rox_midge said:<blockquote><br>
    


    OMG HOW DO I EARN POINTS ON YOUR WEBSITE!?

     

     @medialint said:


     Yep.

     Alt>Ctrl>Del - fine

    Ctrl>Alt>Del - fine

    Del>Ctrl>Alt - no

    Del>Alt>Ctrl - no

    Alt>Del>Ctrl - no

    Ctrl>Del>Alt - no


     



  • @shadowman said:

    How many points do I lose for doing this? 
     

    None. You just look like an asshole.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @shadowman said:

    How many points do I lose for doing this? 
     

    None. You just look like an asshole.

    You've got to be kidding me.  1175+ posts of pure nonsense, baiting, trolling, and topic-hijacking attacks on other poster's contributions, and you think I'm the one who looks like an asshole?



  • @shadowman said:

    you think I'm the one who looks like an asshole?
     

    Yes. Everytime you flip out and act like one when it is mentioned that you don't need to constantly quote the OP.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @shadowman said:

    How many points do I lose for doing this? 
     

    None. You just look like an asshole.

     

     

    I think he looks great. 



  • @TheRider said:

    Prompt open dos? what kind of format? a c-type format?

    No... No... No... It's: Smiley face format



  •  @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @shadowman said:

    you think I'm the one who looks like an asshole?
     

    Yes. Everytime you flip out and act like one when it is mentioned that you don't need to constantly quote the OP.

    Nobody is flipping out.  But you're obviously looking for that kind of reaction when you go around posting that kind of crap all over this site.  Just happy to oblige.  You can think I look like an asshole all you want, but I don't think you're fooling anyone.



  • @shadowman said:

    But you're obviously looking for that kind of reaction
     

    See... that is where your part comes in. If you really thought I was looking for a bad reaction, then why would you have given me one?

    If you realize quoting the OP is pointless and looks stupid your reply easily could have been:

    "Whoops. Oh well." Or anything similar.

    Or you simply could have ignored my post and just made a mental note for yourself.

     

    But obviously you were the one looking for an argument, since you are the one who decided to post a stupid reply out of anger.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    If you realize quoting the OP is pointless and looks stupid your reply easily could have been:

    "Whoops. Oh well." Or anything similar.

    Or you simply could have ignored my post and just made a mental note for yourself.

     

    I don't realize any of those things.   I'm free to hit the quote button whenever  I would like, and also happy to keep or erase whatever part of that quote I see fit.  The purpose of the argument is to to tell you in no uncertain terms to leave me alone and quit concentrating on my quoting habits.  Sorry, you don't get to make any rules here. 



  • @shadowman said:

      I'm free to hit the quote button whenever  I would like
     

    And I am free to point out how silly that use is.

    Funny how that works.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    And I am free to point out how silly that use is.

    Funny how that works.

    And I'm free to argue your pointing out my argument about your argument..

    err...

    What were we talking about again?



  • @shadowman said:

    I'm free to hit the quote button whenever  I would like, and also happy to keep or erase whatever part of that quote I see fit.  The purpose of the argument is to to tell you in no uncertain terms to leave me alone and quit concentrating on my quoting habits.
    I could also develop the habit of posting ten random links in each post I make for SEO purposes, or posting large uncropped images every time I want to make a point, or just make random nonsensical posts. The point is, quoting a post entirely is annoying, and people were asked to stop, sometimes politely, sometimes not. MPS isn't the only one bothered by this.



  • @Lingerance said:

    MPS isn't the only one bothered by this.
     

    Thank you. Glad to know I am not the only one.



  • @Lingerance said:

    could also develop the habit of posting ten random links in each post I make for SEO purposes, or posting large uncropped images every time I want to make a point, or just make random nonsensical posts. The point is, quoting a post entirely is annoying, and people were asked to stop, sometimes politely, sometimes not. MPS isn't the only one bothered by this.
     

    I'm sorry that it bothers you.  It bothers me when people make rude comments about my posts, so I usually ask them to stop, sometimes politely, sometimes not.

    I've posted a lot on usenet, where in many groups the norm is to quote all or some of whatever post you're replying to, and I suppose it's not really necessary on web forums.  Normally I quote all or some of the post I'm replying to just to give context to the reply.  I find it hard to beleive that you and MPS find it that difficult to just ignore the quoting if it bothers you.  It appears to me more like somebody is going out of their way to try to correct other people in order to give himself a boost.

     



  •  



  • @shadowman said:

    I find it hard to beleive that you and MPS find it that difficult to just ignore the quoting if it bothers you.
     

    You are acting as if I made a rude and offensive post about your quoting. I thought it was pretty mild really.





  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    You are acting as if I made a rude and offensive post about your quoting. I thought it was pretty mild really.
    I was probably rude, I personally have no problem with quote parts of the post, the entire post is just pointless (unless it's like 1 line). If you quote the entire post and break it up replying to each section that's cool too, because the visual space is actually being used. That's my opinion.



  • @Lingerance said:

    I personally have no problem with quote parts of the post, the entire post is just pointless (unless it's like 1 line). If you quote the entire post and break it up replying to each section that's cool too, because the visual space is actually being used. That's my opinion.

    I agree. But in this example it is just blatant quoting of the entire OP which is just obnoxious.



  •  @Otterdam said:

    @username_not_found said:

     

    Yeah, feel free to contribute something yourself anytime you want to. Peanut gallery.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    You are acting as if I made a rude and offensive post about your quoting. I thought it was pretty mild really.

     

    Constantly jumping in and berating people for a practice which you have no authority to control is rude and offensive.

    Is there a specific policy about this, or did you just take it upon yourself to make up rules and harass people? 



  • @drinkingbird said:

    Constantly jumping in and berating people for a practice which you have no authority to control is rude and offensive.
     

    No one was berated. Thanks for your contribution.



  • @medialint said:

    @rox_midge said:

    That sequence of keystrokes (delete, alt, ctrl) won't even trigger

     

    Yep.

     

    Alt>Ctrl>Del - fine

    Ctrl>Alt>Del - fine

    Del>Ctrl>Alt - no

    Del>Alt>Ctrl - no

    Alt>Del>Ctrl - no

    Ctrl>Del>Alt - no

    Or more specifically and simply: the trigger is a down-stroke of the delete key while at least one ctrl and at least one alt key are held down. 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    Yeah, feel free to contribute something yourself anytime you want to. Peanut gallery.

    But there's no sense crying over every blank post
    You just keep on trying till you run out of toast
    and the tagging gets done and you try to poke fun
    at the people who are still alive



  •  A thread of Fail

    Cannot be fixed by

    Poetic Rymes 



  • @asuffield said:

    Or more specifically and simply: the trigger is a down-stroke of the delete key while at least one ctrl and at least one alt key are held down. 

    Not on my keyboard.  Exactly one CTRL and at least one ALT, then press DEL. The state of the other keys (including the other DEL) doesn't seem to affect it. DEL-CTRL-A-ALT-ALT-F-DEL is now my preferred method of logging on.



  • @Qwerty said:

    Not on my keyboard.  Exactly one CTRL and at least one ALT, then press DEL. The state of the other keys (including the other DEL) doesn't seem to affect it. DEL-CTRL-A-ALT-ALT-F-DEL is now my preferred method of logging on.
     

    Yes, it only works when one ctrl is pressed (Alt Gr unexpectedly works, despite essentially being Ctrl + Alt, although you can't use Alt Gr+Del by design). Anyone have a good explanation for this?



  • @Otterdam said:

    But there's no sense crying over every blank post
    You just keep on trying till you run out of toast
    and the tagging gets done and you try to poke fun
    at the people who are still alive
     

    The cake toast is a lie! 



  • @Otterdam said:

    Alt Gr unexpectedly works, despite essentially being Ctrl + Alt

    "Alt Gr" stands for "Alternate Group", more commonly known as "level 3 shift". Shift level 1 (default) is the lowercase alphabet, shift level 2 (hold shift) is the uppercase alphabet, level 3 (hold altgr) is stuff like @łe¶ŧ←↓→øþ æßðđŋħjĸł «»¢“”nµ (PC GB keymap, others vary slightly), level 4 (hold altgr and shift) exists but there's not much up there that anybody uses, I have ΩŁE®Ŧ¥↑ıØÞ Æ§ÐªŊĦJ&Ł <>©‘’Nº. Despite the name it has no relationship to control and alt, which are regular modifiers; rather, it is a different kind of shift key. As a singular exception, unlike every other PC keymap in the world, the US keymap has nothing in levels 3 and 4.

    Strange that Windows treats it as another alt here. Stranger still that it dislikes multiple control keys.



  • @Qwerty said:

    DEL-CTRL-A-ALT-ALT-F-DEL is now my preferred method of logging on.

    I tried that, and I'm having trouble stretching my right hand out that far.  Try hitting the right alt and both deletes at once.  Maybe I just have small hands. 



  • @EricDV said:

     I always set my alternate delete control before I step away from the computer.  Feel more safe that way.

    winkey-L



  • @rox_midge said:

    That sequence of keystrokes (delete, alt, ctrl) won't even trigger the SAS: you've got to press delete last in order for it to work.
     

     

    Maybe she's one of those people who tries really hard to hit them all at once in a single tap.   I always love that. 



  • @asuffield said:

    Strange that Windows treats it as another alt here. Stranger still that it dislikes multiple control keys.

    Ahh, I'm jealous of your keymap... all I get is áéíóú¦€!

    Stranger still still is that, despite recognising Alt Gr as Ctrl + Alt (try assigning a shortcut key anywhere), Windows is more than happy for you to hold it with Ctrl. Just...not both Ctrl keys. But that's enough to let you press Ctrl + Alt + Del with just one hand.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @Qwerty said:

    DEL-CTRL-A-ALT-ALT-F-DEL is now my preferred method of logging on.

    I tried that, and I'm having trouble stretching my right hand out that far.  Try hitting the right alt and both deletes at once.  Maybe I just have small hands.

    Next to my computer, I keep a bit of wood, cut to the size of my keyboard; and a small handle on top. It allows me to press all keys at the same time.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    Next to my computer, I keep a bit of wood, cut to the size of my keyboard; and a small handle on top. It allows me to press all keys at the same time.
     

    Oblig. picture since no-one's mentioned it yet:




  • Damnit, I can't see these threads anymore for all the MasterPlanSoftware.



  • @Faxmachinen said:

    Damnit, I can't see these threads anymore for all the MasterPlanSoftware.

     

    Thanks for your insightful post. 



  • @Otterdam said:

    Ahh, I'm jealous of your keymap... all I get is áéíóú¦€!

    I'm guessing that you have a keyboard from a country where acute accents are part of the language.

    The quality of the upper layers is quite variable, unfortunately, since they're designed by the local standards body of the relevant country.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.