Yet another Vista WTF

• @Daniel Beardsmore said:

As for checking for a graphics card, that's entirely dependent on the OS of course.

So is checking for the NIC. Which the OS did. And it reported there was a problem.

• @CodeSimian said:

@tster said:

(Quick note, you will note that the "My" prefix has been dropped in Vista, it's just "Documents", "Music", "Computer", etc.)

Even better, they switched to a sane script/command line-friendly layout for user directories:

Wow.. they actually did something right. I'm still not switching for at least a couple of years, though.

• Lots of very amusing comments there, but they all seem to have completely missed the point which is that the OS boldly ploughed on with a procedure it never stood a hope in hell of succeeding with, then completely misdiagnosed the cause.  How that got past testing (I am assuming it was tested), I would love to know.  I do hope none of you are involved in developing or testing any software I'm ever likely to buy if you seriously think that's an OK thing to do...

Also, have you actually looked at Folder Redirection in a GPO recently?  Or just read the white papers?  On Server 2003 the only options available are "My Documents" and everything under it, or "My Documents" but leave "My Pictures" on the HD (yes, I am deliberately leaving out "Application Data" and all the rest).  None of the other "My ..." subfolders can be left on the HD with a Folder Redirection policy (at least with a Domain policy on the current Server OS), they will follow "My Documents" around, unless you put in a hack using a logon script (once I figure out why my logon script won't work under Vista, that is).  This was the case when XP introduced all it's extra cute little folders too.

Moral of the story is that here we have a so-called "Big Business OS" that is not really suitable for business use.  A logon script that won't run, multimedia folders that redirect to the network, various online services that are unsuitable for business use, no RTM Domain admin tools available yet, broken compatibility with various common apps (if I implemented Vista tomorrow, our suppliers - including, indirectly Microsoft - wouldn't get paid, nor would our payrolls run).  Again, not really Vista, the same was the case with XP, but hence homing in on the first issue.

And finally, Enterprise is available to Volume License subscribers who may very well have a genuine requirement for some of the features - thinking one is 1337 is nothing to do with it. 

Have your mug back - you need it more than I do.

• @mfah said:

Lots of very amusing comments there, but they all seem to have completely missed the point which is that the OS boldly ploughed on with a procedure it never stood a hope in hell of succeeding with, then completely misdiagnosed the cause.  How that got past testing (I am assuming it was tested), I would love to know.  I do hope none of you are involved in developing or testing any software I'm ever likely to buy if you seriously think that's an OK thing to do...

I hope you never use any software I ever develop either. You obviously have unrealistic expectations of software, and cannot see where the real problem lies. (Hint: PEBKAC)

@mfah said:

Moral of the story is that here we have a so-called "Big Business OS" that is not really suitable for business use. 

Even though many businesses have successfully implemented it. You are in the thought group of "If I can't make it work, no one can!".

@mfah said:

A logon script that won't run

When upgrading an OS company wide, I would expect to break logon scripts. Why this would surprise you is beyond me...

@mfah said:

multimedia folders that redirect to the network

I have no idea what you are talking about here...

@mfah said:

various online services that are unsuitable for business use

What? What the hell does that have to do with Vista?

@mfah said:

no RTM Domain admin tools available yet

You are trying to administer your domain from Vista? Wouldn't you do this from your server 2003 boxes?

@mfah said:

broken compatibility with various common apps

If you have unsuccessfully tried these apps in the various compatibility modes, there is a good chance the app is at fault here. To me, this really sounds like you just throwing common /. style MS bashing in to try and support your (failing) argument.

@mfah said:

And finally, Enterprise is available to Volume License subscribers who may very well have a genuine requirement for some of the features - thinking one is 1337 is nothing to do with it. 

I think plenty of us understand how to get Enterprise edition. But judging by your sophmoric ranting I think we are all assuming you should not be in a position to be administering a network deserving of enterprise edition in the first place.

• @mfah said:

Lots of very amusing comments there, but they all seem to have completely missed the point which is that the OS boldly ploughed on with a procedure it never stood a hope in hell of succeeding with, then completely misdiagnosed the cause.

I don't know if you read my post (or all the similar and related ones) but you're missing a big point too -- who is seriously going to try joining a domain with no network drivers installed? Do you think Microsoft would even see any point in testing this?

That said, I am eternally frustrated by software not returning either an error code (something I can throw at Google or mail to support) or a simple perror output that at least points me in the right direction. The most notorious example for me is "Error printing" which so far has covered a diverse range of problems from a USB plug falling out to the printer's host PC needing to be rebooted yet again. Microsoft aren't even trying here. Then you go to try again, and remove the failed print job, and the job wedges on "Error - Printing - Cancelling - Deleting - Making tea AFK" and won't do anything, and nothing else prints until you fetch a hatchet and hack the stuck job limb from limb out of the print queue (in your dreams). If I see another "Printing page 3/2" heads are going to roll.

The most notorious example for me is "Error printing" which so far has covered a diverse range of problems from a USB plug falling out to the printer's host PC needing to be rebooted yet again. Microsoft aren't even trying here. Then you go to try again, and remove the failed print job, and the job wedges on "Error - Printing - Cancelling - Deleting - Making tea AFK" and won't do anything, and nothing else prints until you fetch a hatchet and hack the stuck job limb from limb out of the print queue (in your dreams). If I see another "Printing page 3/2" heads are going to roll.

You should have been a Citrix admin a few years back...<leans back in armchar, puffs on pipe, starts recounting war stories..../> Wanna borrow my axe?

• ♿ (Parody)

@mfah said:

Lots of very amusing comments there, but they all seem to have completely missed the point which is that the OS boldly ploughed on with a procedure it never stood a hope in hell of succeeding with, then completely misdiagnosed the cause.  How that got past testing (I am assuming it was tested), I would love to know.  I do hope none of you are involved in developing or testing any software I'm ever likely to buy if you seriously think that's an OK thing to do...

I get it.  You're trying to start your own SSDS style thread here. 

Seriously.  You're talking about different part of 'the OS.'  It had already warned you about the fact that the network wasn't connected.  Should the domain code check to make sure the power button is on?  I don't know the details of how the API for connecting to a domain works, but it probably just gets a fail code or something (if it's consistent with the sort of error codes that are typically returned).

@mfah said:

Have your mug back - you need it more than I do.
    No, you've definitely earned this one.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@mfah said:
    multimedia folders that redirect to the network

I have no idea what you are talking about here...

I don't believe you for one minute, somehow.  In fact, I suspect you know exactly what I'm talking about and you're just being deliberately obtuse.

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

@tster said:
    7.  The computer has My Documents, My Videos, My Music, My Pictures, and My Shared Stuff...   HELLO!!!! What would business users have to do with DOCUMENTS?!?!?!   Companies don't create documents!  Employees would never keep PICTURES on their computers!!! And employee would never want to listen to music as they work.  What is wrong with those poeple at microsoft?   (Quick note, you will note that the "My" prefix has been dropped in Vista, it's just "Documents", "Music", "Computer", etc.)

I might add that any admin/power user should know these are controllable by group policy, not by the install. When he joined to domain, the standard templates according to group policy should have been used. If he is setting up every computer by hand he is a moron.

I think plenty of us understand how to get Enterprise edition.

the rest of the rant involves "I bought enterprise because I am 1337!

You're funny, but at least try to be consistent with it.

I have yet to see the installer format anything without my authorization

Read my post.  I never said it did a format without authorisation, I referred to the type of format.

Why would you allow (by default) someone without domain admin credentials to join your domain?

You envision a lot of people who are too dumb to install a NIC joining a domain on their own?

You're funny, but at least try to be consistent with it.

• @mfah said:

I was consistent in all my replies. I really feel sorry for your employee/users. That is going to be a long term, costly deployment with you at the helm. People here have answered every one of your issues and you choose to ignore it and call them all WTFs anyway.

Really it is pretty sad.

Then you go to try again, and remove the failed print job, and the job wedges on "Error - Printing - Cancelling - Deleting - Making tea AFK" and won't do anything, and nothing else prints until you fetch a hatchet and hack the stuck job limb from limb out of the print queue (in your dreams). If I see another "Printing page 3/2" heads are going to roll.

*cracks up*.. I feel your pain on that one.

EDIT: The only way I got those to go away is to unplug the JetDirect. For some damn reason Windows won't delete its own jobs (just drop the packets already!) if it detects the device is still there. It wants the device to confirm the cancellation. Take it offline and the job will go away. Retarded...

• @alegr said:

Now tell me why you need non-quick format? I mean the one that will zero-initialize the disk and test if it's readable? You've got too much time on your hands?
    A zero-initialized disk, presuming the disk wasn't completely zeroed already, will image much faster across a network since the empty blocks are more compressable.