May 22 is the Expression error: unrecognised punctuation character

• Google's currently pimping doodle4google, a drawing contest for kids.  The winner gets their doodle on the google homepage on May 22nd.  Since google usually puts their special logos up on holidays, I thought I'd search to see if the 22nd is a holiday.

First hit is this beautiful answers.com page:

"May 22 is the Expression
    error: unrecognised punctuation character "{"th day of the year Expression error: unrecognised punctuation character "{" in the
    Gregorian calendar..."

• The WTF in the google doodle is this >>

Mail your school's entries to this address by April 12, 2008 (entries must be postmarked by 11:59:59 pm that day):

Google Inc.

Doodle 4 Google competition

PO BOX 391000

Mountain View, CA 94039-1000

I heard there was a way you could do these things paperlessly these days ... communicate somehow without the help of the post office. Trying to remember the term here.... e ... electronic! Yes Electronic Mail ... or email I guess. I wonder if google knows anyone that provide these email services?

• Mail your school's entries to this address by April 12, 2008 (entries must be postmarked by 11:59:59 pm that day):

TRWTF is the requirement for postmarking on the second, or wording signifying so.

• How many post offices actually stay up to postmark things at 11:59:59PM on days other than  April 15th?

Maybe this is just google's way of helping forgetful parents send in their returns three days early? "Oh crap! I need to turn in my kids doodle!    Oh double crap! I need to do my taxes!  Sorry kid, no time to run to the post office now.  I've got mounds and mounds of ill-conceived beurocracy to attend to."

• @vt_mruhlin said:

How many post offices actually stay up to postmark things at 11:59:59PM on days other than  April 15th?

Could this be a joke, a pun, a humorous reference?

• @vt_mruhlin said:

How many post offices actually stay up to postmark things at 11:59:59PM on days other than  April 15th?
    Even so it would be 3 days late.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Maybe this is just google's way of helping forgetful parents send in their returns three days early? "Oh crap! I need to turn in my kids doodle!    Oh double crap! I need to do my taxes!  Sorry kid, no time to run to the post office now.  I've got mounds and mounds of ill-conceived beurocracy to attend to."

My local post office does...

The only problem is that they stay up miss-filing all the mail at 11:59:59! Caz mail delivered to the right address is against their code of honor.

I often get mail from my neighbors, and more often get mail from neighboring buildings!

• @medialint said:

I heard there was a way you could do these things paperlessly these days ... communicate somehow without the help of the post office. Trying to remember the term here.... e ... electronic! Yes Electronic Mail ... or email I guess. I wonder if google knows anyone that provide these email services?
    I wouldn't trust a bunch of elementary school teachers to produce quality, high res scans, and be able to get large images through their districts' email filters, some of which undoubtably limit attachment size. 

• @merreborn said:

Google's currently pimping doodle4google, a drawing contest for kids.  The winner gets their doodle on the google homepage on May 22nd.  Since google usually puts their special logos up on holidays, I thought I'd search to see if the 22nd is a holiday.

First hit is this beautiful answers.com page:

http://www.answers.com/topic/may-22

"May 22 is the Expression
    error: unrecognised punctuation character "{"th day of the year Expression error: unrecognised punctuation character "{" in the
    Gregorian calendar..."

The correct answer (tadah): Answers.com probably has a f'd up/misinstalled version of ParserFunctions extension. (The text comes from Wikipedia's Template:Day which uses ParserFunctions). That, or something else funny is going on. (That, or maybe it's somehow related to the funny changes in the bleeding-edge MediaWiki preprocessor code. Could affect the extensions. Heck if I know.)

• @dlikhten said:

The only problem is that they stay up miss-filing all the mail at 11:59:59! Caz mail delivered to the right address is against their code of honor.

What's Caz mail?

• @Kyanar said:

@dlikhten said:

What's Caz mail?

Is anyone else sick of all this baby talk?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.