No bathroom for you!

• WTF #1: All the bathrooms in my building are locked with a number pad.

WTF #2: The old password was 1234, but the keypad broke, and keys would intermittently stop working.  So somebody Brillantly decided that it was just those keys that were broken.  They changed the code to 987, tested it a few times and it worked.  Problem solved!

Oh wait, no the intermittent problem affected all the keys.  I guess I'll just use my boss's cube.

• Why in the world are there keypad locks on the bathrooms?  The only reason I can see for this setup is to keep out non-employees.

• OMFG!! Keypads on the bathrooms ?!!!

• @AccessGuru said:

Why in the world are there keypad locks on the bathrooms?  The only reason I can see for this setup is to keep out non-employees.

That and forgetful employees. They don't deserve to pee.

• Bring a crowbar.

Or find a chainsaw. 

• If you piss your pants, you're fired.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@AccessGuru said:

Why in the world are there keypad locks on the bathrooms?  The only reason I can see for this setup is to keep out non-employees.

Or they're time locks, and employees have allotted times at which they're allowed to go to the toilets. (I seem to remember seeing some comedy sketch about this, but google keywords escape me at the moment.)

• @AccessGuru said:

It probably doubles as their server room... :U 

• @PJH said:

(I seem to remember seeing some comedy sketch about this, but google keywords escape me at the moment.)

This isn't the original source, but I think this is what you're looking for.

• @AccessGuru said:

I figured it was to keep people from coming in here and getting access to our proprietary code and documentation.  Well, what you'll find in the bathroom is almost close enough.

Nah, I think it's because we're downtown and they don't want bums coming in here to do drugs.  Of course they could just lock the actual floor with employee badges, then give us free roam ro the bathrooms and rest of the floor...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@GalacticCowboy said:

http://www.personneltoday.com/blogs/human-resources-guru/2007/07/removing-the-life-from-worklif.html
    Yup - that was it. Ta.

• I've worked in a building that was like this.  In my case, once you got off of the elevator you stood in a long hallway that leads to 2 or 3 offices, each with their own lock and receptionist.  However, the bathrooms were also located in this main hallway; they didn't belong to any one company.  I guess it was possible to wind up on that floor without working in any of the offices, so they tried to keep "unauthorized" people out of the bathrooms.

However, there was a doorman at the building's front door and pretty strict ID checks, so it's not like there were any homeless people wandering around the building looking for a place to sleep.  My guess is that the building hired some contractors that just went nuts installing things that no one would ever need.  This was downtown NYC, post 9/11, where there is strict security in every building.

•  I guess there was an incident a few years ago where I work. Some creepy guy was hanging out in the womens' washroom. We now have keypads on all bathrooms directly accessible from the elevators.

Most decent people in the world often don't understand measures again the indecent. (For instance the reason for the locks had to be explained to me.)

• @itzac said:

I guess there was an incident a few years ago where I work. Some creepy guy was hanging out in the womens' washroom. We now have keypads on all bathrooms directly accessible from the elevators.

Most decent people in the world often don't understand measures again the indecent. (For instance the reason for the locks had to be explained to me.)

Why exactly is this a better solution than calling the police and having him arrested? 

• @AccessGuru said:

It's to prevent people from entering the server room by crawling through air ducts.

•  @fbjon said:

It's to prevent people from entering the server room by crawling through air ducts.

When I crawl through air ducts, I'm just worried that some headcrab is going to pounce on me. I've had that before, when a black, narrow, lightless dead end in some catacomb underneath the city was home to the top half of a zombie!

Got a bit peeved though, when I was doing my crawling thing inside a busted old building, and a duct section with me in it came tumbling down onto the floor, and after the dust had settled, I saw that both open ends had the tell-tale bomb laser across them. Drat! So I broke it open from the top (there was a loose grid there), got out -- and imagine my surprise when the whole fucking room was lit up like something out of a bad heist movie. There were even a good deal of petrol containers. What a coincidence! I had to tiptoe across funky benches into a half-submerged elevator.

Fun times.

• @fbjon said:

@AccessGuru said:

I've always had good luck with making the air ducts six inches wide. 

• @dhromed said:

When I crawl through air ducts, I'm just worried that some headcrab is going to pounce on me. I've had that before, when a black, narrow, lightless dead end in some catacomb underneath the city was home to the top half of a zombie!

Got a bit peeved though, when I was doing my crawling thing inside a busted old building, and a duct section with me in it came tumbling down onto the floor, and after the dust had settled, I saw that both open ends had the tell-tale bomb laser across them. Drat! So I broke it open from the top (there was a loose grid there), got out -- and imagine my surprise when the whole fucking room was lit up like something out of a bad heist movie. There were even a good deal of petrol containers. What a coincidence! I had to tiptoe across funky benches into a half-submerged elevator.

If I told you the Loch Ness monster hired me to hit the harbor, what would you say?"

• @asuffield said:

I've always had good luck with making the air ducts six inches wide. 

I am sending my cyborg in...

Skeletor

• @dhromed said:

Fun times.

Let me guess -- a spunky, tomboyish girl made you do it.

• Thank you, MPS, for making this thread NSFW...

• @GalacticCowboy said:

Thank you, MPS, for making this thread NSFW...

You are very welcome. I am sorry if you work in a place that would not appreciate you seeing an alien boy in rags while you are surfing the web.

• Hey, that's not as bad as where I worked.  We had a phantom dooker who kept laying a dump in the female bathroom.  The fun part was when the HR lady kept sending company wide email letting us all know how disgusted at all of us bad bad employees she was. 

• @AccessGuru said:

Duh! You don't want non-employees gaining unauthorized access to the server rooms!! 

• Whoops, someone posted before reading past the first couple of posts in this thread.

(Or maybe they're just recycling the joke intentionally and hoping nobody notices…?)

• [IMG]http://img.thedailywtf.com/images/200701/ToiletServer.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] http://img.thedailywtf.com/images/200701/ToiletServer2.jpg[/IMG]

@PerdidoPunk said:

@AccessGuru said:

Duh! You don't want non-employees gaining unauthorized access to the server rooms!! 

• @Erick said:

Let me guess -- a spunky, tomboyish girl made you do it.

Hey. She's alright. Has a tendency to show up after all the work is done, though.

• @asuffield said:

@itzac said:

I guess there was an incident a few years ago where I work. Some creepy guy was hanging out in the womens' washroom. We now have keypads on all bathrooms directly accessible from the elevators.

Why exactly is this a better solution than calling the police and having him arrested? 

Less paperwork. 

• @dhromed said:

@fbjon said:

Fun times.

I had a similar situation once, although I did find some helpful sticky rope that hauled me up the shaft with no effort on my part. I was enjoying the ride when something bit my head off though. Still not sure what really happened there...

• @Quinnum said:

I had a similar situation once, although I did find some helpful sticky rope that hauled me up the shaft with no effort on my part. I was enjoying the ride when something bit my head off though. Still not sure what really happened there...

And you're posting about it on the internet.  Reminds me of that quote on bash.org

afk, getting my head bitten off by some kind of tongue-trap, but at least I got away from the headcrabs

• There is no lock that a thief cannot open. Thieves can probably get in anyways whether or not it is the server room