TDWTF forum WTFs



  • This forum is really starting to drive me nuts.

    -The back button usually takes you back to where you were in the last page. Use it to return to the forum index here and you're back at the top. The only way to effectively browse is to open excessive tabs.

    -WYSIWYG editor isn't quite WYSIWYG. Most formatting appears as it will in the post, but quotes don't. Word wrap is iffy. Clicking in the whitespace below what you're editing doesn't move the cursor to the end. Editor sporatically inserts an extra space or newline at the end as you type, causing trouble when you use ctrl-end to go to the end. Firefox spellcheck doesn't work in the editor. You only SOMETIMES get the WYSIWYG editor; sometimes it doesn't show up until you click the Quote button, sometimes not at all. Shift-enter and then tab sometimes indents 4 spaces, sometimes 5, randomly. In short, the editor doesn't work like any other editor and is one big WTF.

    -The forum inconsistently butchers code.

    -Long lines in posts sometimes wrap, but other times trail off the edge of the screen.

    -No more horizontal scrollbar on incorrectly wrapped posts and posts with wide images, making View Image and copy-paste the only way to read some posts.

    -Typing in the little "edit tags" box is VERY slow on older systems. WTF is it doing, it isn't autocompleting or responding in any way to what you type. Why is this textbox so unresponsive?

    -Posts and articles sometimes scroll vertically inside their panes, making the mouse scroll wheel next to useless in the occasional thread.

    Edit: not to mention the edit time limit. 



  • The time limit actually makes sense, I used to troll forums calling people names and after they write a flaming reply (but forget to quote the original post) changed the insulting message to something innocent-looking. The victim ended up looking a complete idiot by suddenly writing an angry reply, got a warning from the moderator and was insulted by my original post. 3-in-1!



  • Yup, the time limit hasto be a balance between allowing you to fix mistakes vs. allowing you to rewrite history as zlogic said.

    I personally believe that the rest of the forum WTFs are deliberate, to give us something to talk about when things are quiet otherwise. 



  • What's so wrong with the good old policy of "You can edit/delete your post as long as no one replied yet?" 



  • @RayS said:

    I personally believe that the rest of the forum WTFs are deliberate, to give us something to talk about when things are quiet otherwise. 
    Alex has posted numerous times stating that he was unaware that the software had so many issues, he is also unwilling to move to another forum system as converting the posts would be too much work.



  • @joemck said:

    Edit: not to mention the edit time limit. 

    Woo, something I can actually change! This is currently set to 5 minutes. What would make more sense?

     

    The "Main" Site has a 5-minute edit limit, but that's not going to change - I put that there to prevent (among other abuse) "First Post Snagging", which a few people were doing. You know, posting a lame first reply, then taking a few minutes to actually think of something clever/insightful to say.



  • @Lingerance said:

    Alex has posted numerous times stating that he was unaware that the software had so many issues, he is also unwilling to move to another forum system as converting the posts would be too much work.

    I think we can savely consider that another issue.

    Though, if it are really just the posts, couldn't he just... you know... throw them out and convert without them? I mean, we don't have any fancy RPs, memes or political discussions in here, not even many people with a noticeable post count. At least I personally can't think of many topics older than maybe a month that would seem like an irreplaceable loss. Okay, maybe that SpectateSwamp thing, but come on, that's not exactly the pinnacle of internet communitywork either. And in addition I'm relatively sure that our best friend would re-ignite the discussion there as fast as possible.

    I think, if the posts are really the only reason we can't switch to a better engine, Alex should do a poll and go on without them if the voters agree. What do you think?

    [edit] Thank you for the concern, Alex. How about 20 minutes? 



  • @joemck said:

    -Typing in the little "edit tags" box is VERY slow on older systems. WTF is it doing, it isn't autocompleting or responding in any way to what you type. Why is this textbox so unresponsive?

    It does autocomplete (on Firefox anyway). Unfortunately you cannot type a capital letter without it going nuts. 



  • @zlogic said:

    The time limit actually makes sense, I used to troll forums calling people names and after they write a flaming reply (but forget to quote the original post) changed the insulting message to something innocent-looking. The victim ended up looking a complete idiot by suddenly writing an angry reply, got a warning from the moderator and was insulted by my original post. 3-in-1!

    Wikipedia demonstrated how to fix this without being retarded, a long time ago.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    I just disabled the WYSIWYG editor completely in my user preferences.



    • I don't use the WYSIWYG anyways, I prefer non-WYSIWYG anyways I just turned off the WYSIWYG at the first time I saw it. So, I don't care about WYSIWYG editor, I just type in the HTML codes by hand anyways. For me, WYSIWYG is only good for laying things out on a page (such as printouts), and WYSIWYG is no good for web-pages.
    • I know some is too long and the scroll-bar is missing, the other way to view is to push reply to that message, and then there is a scroll-bar.
    • I never use the tag box because I don't know what it is for.
    • I don't use the mouse wheel (I disabled it) I usually use the Up/Down/PageUp/PageDown keys to scroll the window.
    • Really they shouldn't have a edit time limit. If it is required to know what was written there before, possibly you could make a history list like wiki history does.
    • Another problem is there is no keyboard shortcuts ALT+S to send, etc
    • Also the e-mail is wrong, see the message I wrote called "I just registered and the e-mail message I received is base64 encoded" to see what is wrong with that message.
    • Another problem is the lack of egosearch function.
    • I am working on another forum software (in PHP), that I have worked on but I not finished yet, hopefully it will be better than other program, maybe when I made it you can upgrade to that one instead, just one thing is you need PHP to do that!


  • Well, at least it has helpful error messages

     The page at http://forums.thedailywtf.com says: ctl00_bcr_ctl05 is not definedThe page at http://forums.thedailywtf.com says: An unknown error occured while processing a callback.  The response is below: ...

    (In case you're wondering, I got both of these when returning to EditProfile.aspx using the back button.  Flipping back and forth between that and another page seems to tickle these messages fairly regularly.)



  • Safari doesn't get the WYSIWYG editor at ALL. It just never loads, and my posts never get parsed for carriage returns, which is a pain in the ass.

    And the quote button just copies the entire post, regardless.

    Not to mention the tag selector is completely fux0red.



  • @vyznev said:

    The page at http://forums.thedailywtf.com says: An unknown error occured while processing a callback.  The response is below: ...

    (In case you're wondering, I got both of these when returning to EditProfile.aspx using the back button.  Flipping back and forth between that and another page seems to tickle these messages fairly regularly.)

    This is related to the AJAXy loading of the previous posts list in the profile page. If you go back after the list is loaded, all is good. Try to navigate back while it's doing it's AJAXy thing, and you get that.



  • @elgate said:

    Safari doesn't get the WYSIWYG editor at ALL. It just never loads, and my posts never get parsed for carriage returns, which is a pain in the ass.

    And the quote button just copies the entire post, regardless.

    Not to mention the tag selector is completely fux0red.

    Testing a post in Safari/Mac as I would normally.

    Stupidity confirmed. There is no tinyMCE. It's just a normal textfield. The console does not show any errors. Not sure what the issue is.

    In addition, are Home/End different on a Mac or is it just Safari? I notice that Home and End scroll to the top/bottom of a page, rather than the much saner Windows behaviour of jumping to start/end of line. I can Apple+Left/Right to get normal Home/End functionality, so it's ok, I guess, even though now there's no way of jumping word-by-word, which I use extensively when travelling long lines with my cursor boots on.

    PS.
    Safari's textarea resize feature FTW.



  • I turned off the WYSIWYG editor because tinyMCE goes crazy in Opera after a few seconds. It turns all spaces into non-breaking spaces. The downside of this is that the forum has been changed to no longer parse line breaks in plain-text mode. I have to manually surround everything with paragraph tags to keep the lines apart.

    I also hate the tags auto-complete. It's totally screwed up. When it makes suggestions, it won't let me type over them most of the time. Instead, it goes ahead and completes them. If I press backspace, it does a double-backspace. The whole thing needs reworking to use something like a popup auto-suggest list (like every other auto-suggest tag list I've seen).

    And.. where's the button on the Select Tags list?!



  •  Dont forget that the javascript inefficient code sometimes spikes cpu usage to 100% (dual core) and this happens at least a few times during editing any post. Terrible when I want to type while running a build.

     

    Looks like TDWTF forums is becoming a TRWTF!



  • @PSWorx said:

    What's so wrong with the good old policy of "You can edit/delete your post as long as no one replied yet?" 

     

     Race-condition = bad.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    And.. where's the button on the Select Tags list?!
    You need to scroll down and all the way to the right (way past the second column of tags, which you probably didn't know that it existed).



  • What a

    re you

    complaining about?  I'v
    e pos

    t
    ed
    hundreds of times without the editor once
    messing up the formatting.



  • @zlogic said:

    The time limit actually makes sense, I used to troll forums calling people names and after they write a flaming reply (but forget to quote the original post) changed the insulting message to something innocent-looking. The victim ended up looking a complete idiot by suddenly writing an angry reply, got a warning from the moderator and was insulted by my original post. 3-in-1!
     

    That's sort of funny, but it would be pretty obvious if they quoted your post in their reply. 



  • @AccessGuru said:

    What are you complaining about?  I've posted hundreds of times without the editor once messing up the formatting.

    That might have been vaguely funny.

     

    If your post count was higher than 4.



  • See?  The forum software is full of bugs, just like the OP said! 



  • @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    I just disabled the WYSIWYG editor completely in my user preferences.

    Nice, that actually helped a lot. Or, at least I can now use `backspace', which, using the WYSIWYG editor, would take me to the previous page (or something, pressing backspace in the WYSIWYG editor usually left me pretty confused and definitively not where I expected to find myself).

    Now let's see if any of the line breaks remain after posting this...

    Edit: apparently not.



  • @cvi said:


    Nice, that actually helped a lot. Or, at least I can now use `backspace', which, using the WYSIWYG editor, would take me to the previous page (or something, pressing backspace in the WYSIWYG editor usually left me pretty confused and definitively not where I expected to find myself).

    Now let's see if any of the line breaks remain after posting this...

    Edit: apparently not.

    One survived, unless you put it back in on the edit.

    None of them survived in the email.



  • @cvi said:

    @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    I just disabled the WYSIWYG editor completely in my user preferences.

    Nice, that actually helped a lot. Or, at least I can now use `backspace', which, using the WYSIWYG editor, would take me to the previous page (or something, pressing backspace in the WYSIWYG editor usually left me pretty confused and definitively not where I expected to find myself).

    Now let's see if any of the line breaks remain after posting this...

    Edit: apparently not.

    Yea, gota use <br> after every line...



    Definately worth it though, I can type fast, use backspace, cpu usage does not spike, wooh everything I had hoped for in a text box.

    Now if I can only plug VIM into this editor... HMMMM maybe I lost my mind, maybe not.



  • @dlikhten said:

    Now if I can only plug VIM into this editor... HMMMM maybe I lost my mind, maybe not.

    Firefox plug-in "its-all-text", that will allow you to edit any textarea with an external program, bonus points is you can run it through php -r "echo implode('>br /<', file($tmp))" if you point it to a shell script. I will have to set that up now (just thought of it).



  • I'm having no problems here. Using IE 7. Tags autocomplete perfectly here, the select tags.. button is terrible.

    Regarding the frontpage: 15 minutes?

     

    And about other forum software: try MyBB (PHP), leave these forums as an archive? :)



  • @Alex Media said:

    I'm having no problems here. Using IE 7. Tags autocomplete perfectly here, the select tags.. button is terrible.
     

    FF 3B2 here, a few glitches, but functional all around.



  • @dhromed said:

    In addition, are Home/End different on a Mac or is it just Safari? I notice that Home and End scroll to the top/bottom of a page, rather than the much saner Windows behaviour of jumping to start/end of line. I can Apple+Left/Right to get normal Home/End functionality, so it's ok, I guess, even though now there's no way of jumping word-by-word, which I use extensively when travelling long lines with my cursor boots on.

    This is proper Mac behavior. And you're being platform-centric, of course; whenever circumstances are unfortunate enough that I'm using Windows, I can't figure out how the hell I'm supposed to quickly go to the HOME or END position of a document without mashing the PgUp/PgDn buttons -- so Windows behavior is "insane" to me.

    Moving the cursor one word at a time can be accomplished with Option-Left and Option-Right. Option-Up and Option-Down goes to the beginning or end of a paragraph. Entire words can be deleted one at a time with Option-Delete.



  • @Albright said:

    can't figure out how the hell I'm supposed to quickly go to the HOME or END position of a document

    ctrl+end/home
    @Albright said:
    Moving the cursor one word at a time can be accomplished with Option-Left and Option-Right.

    ctrl+left/right does the same thing on windows
    @Albright said:
    Entire words can be deleted one at a time with Option-Delete.

    ctrl+delete does this iirc (on a Linux machine can't test this atm).



  • @Albright said:

    @dhromed said:
    In addition, are Home/End different on a Mac or is it just Safari? I notice that Home and End scroll to the top/bottom of a page, rather than the much saner Windows behaviour of jumping to start/end of line. I can Apple+Left/Right to get normal Home/End functionality, so it's ok, I guess, even though now there's no way of jumping word-by-word, which I use extensively when travelling long lines with my cursor boots on.

    This is proper Mac behavior. And you're being platform-centric, of course; whenever circumstances are unfortunate enough that I'm using Windows, I can't figure out how the hell I'm supposed to quickly go to the HOME or END position of a document without mashing the PgUp/PgDn buttons -- so Windows behavior is "insane" to me.

    Moving the cursor one word at a time can be accomplished with Option-Left and Option-Right. Option-Up and Option-Down goes to the beginning or end of a paragraph. Entire words can be deleted one at a time with Option-Delete.

     

     

    Having only really used Windows, I'm used to using Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+End, Ctrl+Left, Ctrl+Right etc. Doubt I could face the horror of learning the same key combinations but using the Option key instead of the Control key. Perhaps I'd also just start mashing the Pg Up/Pg Dn keys instead.



  • @Albright said:

    Moving the cursor one word at a time can be accomplished with Option-Left and Option-Right. Option-Up and Option-Down goes to the beginning or end of a paragraph. Entire words can be deleted one at a time with Option-Delete.
     

    Ah, I see, the Option Key, which is Window's Alt key, which, through VNC, maps to the Cmd/Apple key, which means I don't actually have an Alt key when futzing with our Mac. :)

    Ctrl+Del often removes a word, but in some cases, clears right up to the end of the line. I have trouble with that.



  • @joe17301 said:

    Doubt I could face the horror of learning the same key combinations but using the Option key instead of the Control key. Perhaps I'd also just start mashing the Pg Up/Pg Dn keys instead.
     

    Does one not switch key lists in one's mind when switching applications? Could this not apply to switching between OS's as well?

    Photoshop F5 -> brush palette
    Flash F5 -> Insert Frame
    FFX  F5 -> refresh

    Mental namespaces ftw. 



  • @dhromed said:

    Does one not switch key lists in one's mind when switching applications? Could this not apply to switching between OS's as well?



    One does indeed :)



  • @joemck said:

    This forum is really starting to drive me nuts.

    -The back button usually takes you back to where you were in the last page. Use it to return to the forum index here and you're back at the top. The only way to effectively browse is to open excessive tabs.

    -WYSIWYG editor isn't quite WYSIWYG. Most formatting appears as it will in the post, but quotes don't. Word wrap is iffy. Clicking in the whitespace below what you're editing doesn't move the cursor to the end. Editor sporatically inserts an extra space or newline at the end as you type, causing trouble when you use ctrl-end to go to the end. Firefox spellcheck doesn't work in the editor. You only SOMETIMES get the WYSIWYG editor; sometimes it doesn't show up until you click the Quote button, sometimes not at all. Shift-enter and then tab sometimes indents 4 spaces, sometimes 5, randomly. In short, the editor doesn't work like any other editor and is one big WTF.

    -The forum inconsistently butchers code.

    -Long lines in posts sometimes wrap, but other times trail off the edge of the screen.

    -No more horizontal scrollbar on incorrectly wrapped posts and posts with wide images, making View Image and copy-paste the only way to read some posts.

    -Typing in the little "edit tags" box is VERY slow on older systems. WTF is it doing, it isn't autocompleting or responding in any way to what you type. Why is this textbox so unresponsive?

    -Posts and articles sometimes scroll vertically inside their panes, making the mouse scroll wheel next to useless in the occasional thread.

    Edit: not to mention the edit time limit. 

     

     

    You forgot to mention the evil posters who know forum etiquette and quote the person to whom they are replying.  It's so hard being in the right. 



  • @Lysis said:

    You forgot to mention the evil posters who know forum etiquette and quote the person to whom they are replying.  It's so hard being in the right. 
     

    He also forgot to mention the children who get corrected about something and decide to troll the forums forever after.... But I don't think anyone really cares that much.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @Lysis said:

    You forgot to mention the evil posters who know forum etiquette and quote the person to whom they are replying.  It's so hard being in the right. 
     

    He also forgot to mention the children who get corrected about something and decide to troll the forums forever after.... But I don't think anyone really cares that much.

     

     

    Your mom cares that much. 



  • @Lysis said:

     

    Your mom cares that much. 

    It took you 6 minutes to come up with that retort?  Why haven't you left us yet?



  • @belgariontheking said:

    It took you 6 minutes to come up with that retort?  Why haven't you left us yet?
    People keep talking to him



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @Lysis said:

     

    Your mom cares that much. 

    It took you 6 minutes to come up with that retort?  Why haven't you left us yet?

     

     

    Yes, I hit refresh often and it took 6 minutes staring at the machine to reply to him. 

     

    GG RETARD


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.