Now installing file... source control lock???



  • So I was installing a "Dora the Explorer Fairytale Adventure" game for my 5-year-old sister the other day, and I happened to notice as the game was installing that one of the files it was installing was "vssver.scc"...

    I guess whoever wrote this game didn't realize that you don't actually have to distribute the "source control lock" file which is used by Visual SourceSafe to keep track of checked-out source code files! "Oh yeah, that file there, better zip it up in the installer too, you never know what they might need at runtime!"

    At that rate I'd half expect source code to be included!



  • @ekolis said:

    At that rate I'd half expect source code to be included!
     

    Well? Don't keep us hanging, go look!



  • @ekolis said:

    At that rate I'd half expect source code to be included!

     

     

    I worked 2 month for a company, when i started there, their java build process was: compile binaries in same folder as source, jar the whole thing, sign it, put in a javawebstart application. Then point out all "potential" future client to that nice prototype. 



  • @tchize said:

    I worked 2 month for a company, when i started there, their java build process was: compile binaries in same folder as source, jar the whole thing, sign it, put in a javawebstart application. Then point out all "potential" future client to that nice prototype. 

    I've worked at a few places like that. It's a tragically common practice among people who just can't stop doing things The C++ Way. Let me guess, they built their Java using make, didn't they?



  • Since when is "the C++ way" to bundle up a package including source AND binaries and distribute it to the client?



  • @Nozz said:

    Since when is "the C++ way" to bundle up a package including source AND binaries and distribute it to the client?

     

    You didn't get that memo??


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.