Wife WTF



  • The other day, I posted this story about trying to get service from Apple (I ultimately got what I needed). Upon letting my wife know of my success, she decided that since I almost wound up replacing a brand new (four month old) computer, that she should be able to spend a similar amount of money on something she "needs". I made the mistake of looking at her with a question-mark, and she began to inform me that I owed her a new living room set.

    Damn.

     


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    You saved $n, therefore you have $n available for her to spend.

    The fairer sex can use logic as far is it serves their needs, and discard it when it does no longer.  My girlfriend used to tell me how much money she'd saved us at the grocery store by buying more things (that were on sale.)  As I found myself unable to explain to her that spending more money is not tantamount to saving money, I now do our grocery shopping myself.



  •  Sounds more like a husband WTF...



  •  Yea... I have that problem too from time to time... Basically your sex life is now directly proportional to the size of her new dining room set.



  • Wait, so you should use the same amount of money you spent to get apple to replace a part under warranty she should be able to replace her living room set for the same price? I fail to see why you should be complaining about getting a new living room set under warranty (ie free). If she actually meant the amount you spent for a new laptop from money I presume you used from your own pocket she can very well pay for a new living room set from her own pocket, and lat time I checked the computer is cheaper (unless you ask Silver-Tongued Shady Bob). However if you actually share your entire income with each other you are fucked, you were the moment you agreed to do so.



  • @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    ... I now do our grocery shopping myself.

     

    She really knows what buttons to push, doesn't she? 🙂 



  • @dlikhten said:

     Yea... I have that problem too from time to time... Basically your sex life is now directly proportional to the size of her new dining room set.

     

     So his sex life is O(N) where N is the dining room set.

     I had to translate this for alpha geeks here.


     



  •  @Jonathan Holland said:

    @dlikhten said:

     Yea... I have that problem too from time to time... Basically your sex life is now directly proportional to the size of her new dining room set.

     

     So his sex life is O(N) where N is the dining room set.

     I had to translate this for alpha geeks here.

    I appologize its O(n) - z^5 where n is the size of her dining room set and z is how much you resisted the idea (taken to the 5th power, for weight ya know...).



  •  TRWTF is that you are married, yet didn't know this would happen.



  • @TDC said:

     TRWTF is that you are married, yet didn't know this would happen.

    Not quite. The minute I realized I wasn't going to need to replace the computer, I knew the money would be spent on something, but our living room is only a couple of years old. I think she regrets her last choice (fabric) and wants a leather couch, as a couple of her girlfriends have recently purchased leather sets.

     



  • @dlikhten said:

     @Jonathan Holland said:

    @dlikhten said:

     Yea... I have that problem too from time to time... Basically your sex life is now directly proportional to the size of her new dining room set.

     

     So his sex life is O(N) where N is the dining room set.

     I had to translate this for alpha geeks here.

    I appologize its O(n) - z^5 where n is the size of her dining room set and z is how much you resisted the idea (taken to the 5th power, for weight ya know...).

    Sorry, no dining room set. And we long ago agreed never to intertwine sex with any arguments/tangibles...

    Being an older married couple does have some advantages...

     



  • @snoofle said:

    Not quite. The minute I realized I wasn't going to need to replace the computer, I knew the money would be spent on something, but our living room is only a couple of years old. I think she regrets her last choice (fabric) and wants a leather couch, as a couple of her girlfriends have recently purchased leather sets.

    Come up with the biggest "con" list you can, such as they are hard to clean, they stick to you if you wear shorts, they more prone to damage, they make noise if you move, etc. I personally hate the things.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @snoofle said:

    Not quite. The minute I realized I wasn't going to need to replace the computer, I knew the money would be spent on something, but our living room is only a couple of years old. I think she regrets her last choice (fabric) and wants a leather couch, as a couple of her girlfriends have recently purchased leather sets.

    Come up with the biggest "con" list you can, such as they are hard to clean, they stick to you if you wear shorts, they more prone to damage, they make noise if you move, etc. I personally hate the things.

    No way - I've long ago learned that you have to pick your battles, and ~$2K is cheap for peace...



  • Reupholster?  I dunno if it'll end up cheaper.  

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.

    Um, where did that come from?



  • @snoofle said:

    No way - I've long ago learned that you have to pick your battles, and ~$2K is cheap for peace...

    I take it you don't have any small children. Otherwise you your living room wouldn't last and your peace wouldn't be coming anytime soon.



  • @snoofle said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.

    Um, where did that come from?

     

    Wow, watch out man, someone is giving your wife new cars,,,



  • @snoofle said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.

    Um, where did that come from?

    From http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/7523/140119.aspx#140119 I beleive.

    @snoofle said:

    Actually, I got a *substantial* bonus this year (Mrs. snoofle is getting a Lexus with one of those giant bows on top come Christmas eve),



  • @snoofle said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.

    Um, where did that come from?

    [quote user="snoofle"]Actually, I got a *substantial* bonus this year (Mrs. snoofle is getting a Lexus with one of those giant bows on top come Christmas eve)[/quote]

    It was in the thread "Conversation with the CEO at the company Xmas party." 

    I thought it might be worth pointing out that she just got a new car.



  • @PJH said:

    @snoofle said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Remember, Mrs. Snoofle is the one who just got a brand new Lexus, with a bow on it and everything.

    Um, where did that come from?

    From http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/7523/140119.aspx#140119 I beleive.

    @snoofle said:

    Actually, I got a *substantial* bonus this year (Mrs. snoofle is getting a Lexus with one of those giant bows on top come Christmas eve),

     

    Damn, I was hoping we uncovered a little soap opera drama between belgarion and Mr and Mrs Snoofle.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    Come up with the biggest "con" list you can, such as they are hard to clean, they stick to you if you wear shorts, they more prone to damage, they make noise if you move, etc.

    In the summer you can fry eggs on them, not so great for sitting. 



  • I love my leather sofa. In fact I considered reupholstering it just a few weeks ago, since I moved into a new apartment and I wanted to start out fresh, or at least sort-of-fresh. The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year (as soon as I got time to check the furniture shops, that is).



  • @TheRider said:

    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.



  •  @PJH said:

    @TheRider said:

    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.

    I concur.



  • @pitchingchris said:

    @snoofle said:

    No way - I've long ago learned that you have to pick your battles, and ~$2K is cheap for peace...

    I take it you don't have any small children. Otherwise you your living room wouldn't last and your peace wouldn't be coming anytime soon.

     

    HA! Currently my house has everything duck-taped to NOT MOVE otherwise my daughter will throw it on the floor, then throw it around, then stomp on it, then throw it again, then look at you and laugh. Shes 11 months old.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    @PJH said:
    @TheRider said:
    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.
    I concur.
    Please, TheRider, respect the environment, reupholster the couch.



  • @TheRider said:

    I love my leather sofa. In fact I considered reupholstering it just a few weeks ago, since I moved into a new apartment and I wanted to start out fresh, or at least sort-of-fresh. The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year (as soon as I got time to check the furniture shops, that is).

     

    I made firewood out of my old sofa... We had smores! Plus powertools are fun 🙂



  • @Lingerance said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:
    @PJH said:
    @TheRider said:
    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.
    I concur.
    Please, TheRider, respect the environment, reupholster the couch.

    Haven't seen the shops yet. Wasn't conscious of current pieces being crap. Will reconsider the environment. Thanks for shedding light on the issue.

    OTOH: I just read in the newspaper that Switzerland is generally taking much more care of its environment than, say, the U.S. of A. So my little contribution (or lack thereof) might not make such a big difference...  🙂



  • @snoofle said:

    No way - I've long ago learned that you have to pick your battles, and ~$2K is cheap for peace...

    It wouldn't be a battle. If there's nothing wrong with the current one, after presenting your "con" list, suggest alternative ways to spend the money (if she insists on it). That way there is at least a gain of some sort instead of a replacement (which is basically a loss). There are a lot of things I can think of that $2k could buy or fund (outings, etc) instead of swapping out a perfectly good piece of furniture.



  • @asuffield said:

    In the summer you can fry eggs on them, not so great for sitting. 

    It's especially fun when you don't pay attention to the black leather right by the window and sit down on it while in shorts. Flesh and leather merge.



  • @TheRider said:

    So my little contribution (or lack thereof) might not make such a big difference...  🙂

    And if everyone over there thought that way, you'd be in the same shape as we (USA) are. Little contributions add up to a massive problem. We've got water shortage issues because it wasn't "a big deal" when people first foretold of it. Now that it's too late to take action, people are noticing. I've been somewhat of a tree-hugger since I was a kid, so my environmental conscience is mostly clear.



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @asuffield said:

    In the summer you can fry eggs on them, not so great for sitting. 

    It's especially fun when you don't pay attention to the black leather right by the window and sit down on it while in shorts. Flesh and leather merge.

     

    Just keep it in the shadow and you're fine.  😉 



  • @TheRider said:

    Just keep it in the shadow and you're fine.  😉 

    I wasn't the owner. 🙂



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @TheRider said:

    So my little contribution (or lack thereof) might not make such a big difference...  🙂

    And if everyone over there thought that way, you'd be in the same shape as we (USA) are. Little contributions add up to a massive problem. We've got water shortage issues because it wasn't "a big deal" when people first foretold of it. Now that it's too late to take action, people are noticing. I've been somewhat of a tree-hugger since I was a kid, so my environmental conscience is mostly clear.

     

    Don't worry. I didn't mean it the way it sounded. Of course, Switzerland rates better in this regard because us swiss are considerate people. We are used to have very little and therefore are also used to care for what little we have. Things have changed a bit over the last 50 years, though. 



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @snoofle said:

    Not quite. The minute I realized I wasn't going to need to replace the computer, I knew the money would be spent on something, but our living room is only a couple of years old. I think she regrets her last choice (fabric) and wants a leather couch, as a couple of her girlfriends have recently purchased leather sets.

    Come up with the biggest "con" list you can, such as they are hard to clean, they stick to you if you wear shorts, they more prone to damage, they make noise if you move, etc. I personally hate the things.

     

    Unfortunately, this will not work with women... She will come up with an equally big list of behaviour rules to rule out those cons (No food and drink on the couch, a "nice" cover, then be careful and don't fool around, I can sit quietly, etc.). Believe me, I went through the whole game (although it was my parents who bought it while I was away in the USA, so I didn't really have a say in it - OTOH I did not have to help setting it up :)). And it wasn't even leather.



  • I have a leather sofa.

    It's old and battered and big and dark green and sits like heaven.

    So leather's okay. As long as it's old.



  • @Lingerance said:

    However if you actually share your entire income with each other you are fucked, you were the moment you agreed to do so.
     

    Thesis confirmed by observation and experiment. 



  • In November I bought a new HDTV and a Playstation3 (using money I earned from a nice little on-the-side job for her boss)

    Because of this, in December I had to buy 2 new leather sofas (using my money).



  • Before I bought the car (thankfully) she decided she wanted to go to Alaska... Personally, I would have taken the car (whales smell really bad)



  • @ammoQ said:

    @Lingerance said:

    However if you actually share your entire income with each other you are fucked, you were the moment you agreed to do so.
     

    Thesis confirmed by observation and experiment. 

     

    We don't share income. She spends my money, whereas I can't touch hers... 



  • @TheRider said:

    [We don't share income. She spends my money, whereas I can't touch hers... 

    You have your own money? I'm not allowed. It's all "ours", but in reality what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers, and what's ours is hers.

     We never fight about money - we both work and make more than enough to live fairly well, but she does the bill paying, saving, etc. There's just this understanding... if it's really expensive, we discuss it first (unless of course it's a gift for her, in which case no discussion is necessary).

     



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     @PJH said:

    @TheRider said:

    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.

    I concur.

    Man!  I should have concurred. 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     @PJH said:

    @TheRider said:

    The thing is 20 years old and that shows. Turns out reupholstering costs the same amount of money as buying a new one. Ouch. Guess I'm gonna scrap it and get a new one sometime this year
    Well if it's structurally sound, you might consider reupholstering it - it'll probably still last longer than the shoddy pieces of crap that pass for furniture these days.

    I concur.

    Man!  I should have concurred. 

     



  • @snoofle said:

    It's all "ours", but in reality what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers, and what's ours is hers.
     

    snort-worthy. 



  • @joe.edwards@imaginuity.com said:

    You saved $n, therefore you have $n available for her to spend.

    The fairer sex can use logic...

     

     

    Err..., I don't know if I'd call them fairer about anything, at least not in the sense the word is most commonly used now, since this WTF seems to be so common among them. 

    My girlfriend and I were trying to save up some money to aid with an impending move to a new town.  As part of the belt tightening, I voluntarily canceled the subscription to an MMO I was playing at the time and skipped a season on a rather expensive league sport I like to play.  She agreed to cut some costs of her own as well.

    I come home one day and A) we have a shiny new chair ("it was on sale!") 😎 we have a shiny new set of Burning Crusade discs and C) we have a shiny new World of Boredcraft 45-day card.  When I ask about how we can afford all this shiny new stuff at the time, she tells me not to worry, it's okay; because I didn't spend the $400 to play ice hockey, the $90 she just spent leaves us with a net savings of $310.

    Sometimes, I get the feeling that this relationship is doomed to fail the day they start manufacturing persocons... 

     



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    @asuffield said:

    In the summer you can fry eggs on them, not so great for sitting. 

    It's especially fun when you don't pay attention to the black leather right by the window and sit down on it while in shorts. Flesh and leather [b]merge[/b].

    And then you can Seach. No index needed. Merge all your Swampling's body in one. Praise the GOD of Desktop Search. Random Videos make life much more interesting. Random Capitalization TOO. Try IT!



  • @AbbydonKrafts said:

    perfectly good piece of furniture.
    IT'S NOT A PERFECTLY GOOD PIECE OF FURNITURE IT'S CRAP THIS SHIT THAT HORRIBLE THE OTHER IT NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS TO BE REPLACED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    /wife's response


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.