Oh I'm pissed..... is this the right forum???

• You may know about the major bug in Word 2007 where it is simply not possible to group a picture and a text box.  Oh sweet Jesus does Microsoft really think that I'm gonna shell out 500 bucks for Office 2007 just to be pissed off by this bug???? The  word "bug"  is forbidden in Microsoft's vocabulary. I just don't Jesus know how BG can get away with this BS!!!

•  you can put them both on the same drawing canvas to get a similar affect, but there are problems with that.  Other than that, I think this might be the wrong forums.  You see, this is for sane people that don't go bat shit crazy over a little bug like that.

• @tster said:

this is for sane people

Assertion not supported by the evidence. 

• @microcult said:

I just don't Jesus know how BG can get away with this BS!!!

How can BG&Co get away with claiming that Office '07's native format is OOXML? The spec that MS submitted for ISO fasttrack approval is NOT what Office produces or writes. It's not even 'open'. It's literally impossible for anyone but MS to do a 100% implementation, and even they can't be bothered to do it. 6,000 pages of utter garbage and mutually contradictory/incompletely specified junk.

• MarcB

All I know is the MS put that bug in on purpose so that people will rush out to buy Office 2008 to fix that nasty bug. Why does not BG just own up to these cult tactics?  I'm not ever going to buy a MS product again

• @microcult said:

Why does not BG just own up to these cult tactics?

It's how Microsoft has made its money the past few years. In the early 80s most of the $ came from people buying new machines and having OEM Windows, or a full retail copy thrown in with it.

Now that the market's rather saturated and there aren't as many "new" purchases, most of the money comes from upgrades. It's one reason why Vista is doing so crappily in the market. It may have sold millions of more copies in the first year than XP did in the same time period, but as a percentage of the market, it's lagging badly. For most people, XP SP2 is "good enough". Literally... what's in Vista that can't be done in XP? Aero? Big deal. A bit of utterly useless eye candy that does nothing to enhance productivity. The new wireless setup? No reason that can't be backported to XP. UAC? Most power users are going to turn it off, and most standard users will never know it's there until they try and install little Johnny's new game that came with his breakfast cereal. The new networking stack? How many of the zillions of Windows users even know what a network stack is?

Same with Office '07. Office is bloated and featured-filled to the point that 90% of the stuff will never get used by most people. So Microsoft has to hype up the "new" things they've put in to try and drum up sales. "Ooooh, look. No more task bars and buttons. We've got RIBBONS!" "Ooooh, look, we switched to XML for the file format!" 

Basically, MS has become a car company. Add a new cupholder here, change the shape of the rearview mirror, and change the color of the trim and boom, new product. Then, every few years, try and redesign things from the ground up and pretend that this "new" car is better than the fully-debugged version from last year. "New! Improved! Same as before, but now with PURPLE CUPHOLDERS!"

• @tster said:

similar affect

• @MarcB said:

XP SP2 is "good enough"

Truer words about Vista have never been spoken.   

• @microcult said:

You may know about the major bug in Word 2007 where it is simply not possible to group a picture and a text box.  Oh sweet Jesus does Microsoft really think that I'm gonna shell out 500 bucks for Office 2007 just to be pissed off by this bug???? The  word "bug"  is forbidden in Microsoft's vocabulary. I just don't Jesus know how BG can get away with this BS!!!

What about Jesus?

• Very funny.  Now looky here. I spent a full two years of my life machine lauguage programming. I got so good at it that I could dissasemble binary code in my head.. When I see the VULGAR crap in MS WORD 2007 (can't group a text box with a picture) I want to vomit. A two year old could program better than that    Not being able to do what you could do in Word 2003 is surely going backwards. I tried MSWORD 2008 for MAC and the bug is not there. That is just BS. I went to several computer stores and complained and the sales persons are all just the same trained usual zombies, they all say the same thing

Sales person : Do you have any question today?

Me: Yes about 2000 but I'll just narrow it down to 1.  Do you have Word 2007 loaded in ANY of your store machines..

Sales:  No

ME : Oh It sure would be nice because I will now demonstrate before the whol e staff of London Drugs computer department on how Bill Gates is fucking with our lives

Sales: (Silence)

Me : DID YOU HEAR OF THE BUG IN WORD 2007 YADAYADYADA.....the end

Sales :(Silence)

Me:  Oh the suspense is killing me WHATS THE PUNCH LINE>>>>>?????

Sales : Well I'm glad I have helped you today(walks away)

ME : I spin around faster than the guns on the Bismarck

I WANT A FREE UPGRADE .LETS ALL DEMAND A FREE UPGRADE !!!

• you must be CPound's nemisis.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@medialint said:

What about Jesus?

Can You See Jesus

Fixed that for you.

• @microcult said:

Very funny.  Now looky here. I spent a full two years of my life machine lauguage programming. I got so good at it that I could dissasemble binary code in my head.. When I see the VULGAR crap in MS WORD 2007 (can't group a text box with a picture) I want to vomit. A two year old could program better than that    Not being able to do what you could do in Word 2003 is surely going backwards. I tried MSWORD 2008 for MAC and the bug is not there. That is just BS. I went to several computer stores and complained and the sales persons are all just the same trained usual zombies, they all say the same thing

Sales person : Do you have any question today?

Me: Yes about 2000 but I'll just narrow it down to 1.  Do you have Word 2007 loaded in ANY of your store machines..

Sales:  No

ME : Oh It sure would be nice because I will now demonstrate before the whol e staff of London Drugs computer department on how Bill Gates is fucking with our lives

Sales: (Silence)

Me : DID YOU HEAR OF THE BUG IN WORD 2007 YADAYADYADA.....the end

Sales :(Silence)

Me:  Oh the suspense is killing me WHATS THE PUNCH LINE>>>>>?????

Sales : Well I'm glad I have helped you today(walks away)

ME : I spin around faster than the guns on the Bismarck

I WANT A FREE UPGRADE .LETS ALL DEMAND A FREE UPGRADE !!!

Dude, WTF?  That's like freaking out at the McDonalds drive-thru lady because you just found out you're allergic to seafood.

• The coffee has now worn off . That was my Kramer mode. Actually Bill Gates introduced me to my most favourite computer program of all times QUICK BASIC 4.5 (Don't laugh) This little gem really taught me what programming was all about. Quick Basic fully supports calls to machine language routines (yes written in object code). Link.exe is supplied so that you can link the object code(S) together and presto an EXE. Of course this is really for 16 bit non protected mode programming but with a little work you can do protected mode too. Actually I thank Bill Gates for QB45 and the many 1000s of hours I've played with that remarkable program. I started programming with the very first Basic that were out there and worked my way up. I have a dose of C but find hands on assembler much easier and more flexible. In general I think that Bill Gates is always taking computer prgramming to the limits and that is why maybe there are so many (bugs) in MS programs. Hek I know what a bug is, when you write 20,000 line of object code you are bound to get them. I just wish these highly complex programs were more debugged . I would rather have a rock soild program than too many features.

• This is some impressive trolling. It's a bit too obvious, though. You could take a few pointers from Spectate Swamp.

• Well this is going nowhere.  There is nothing like talking to a bunch of folks with IQ's lower than 10.    Well goodnight forever!!!!!!

• @microcult said:

There is nothing like talking to a bunch of folks with IQ's lower than 10.

What delightful irony. Someone claiming others to be stupid not knowing  how plurals work. Psst.... it's "IQs", not "IQ's". Also as you are presumably a signle person rather than a team, the correct way to refer to yourself would be "a person", not "a bunch of folks".

Anyway, off to train for the troll olympics you go!

• @microcult said:

Well this is going nowhere.  There is nothing like talking to a bunch of folks with IQ's lower than 10.    Well goodnight forever!!!!!!

That has to be a new record.  Hurrah for TDWTF!

• This thread reminds me of this Penny Arcade comic:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@MrMan said:

This thread reminds me of this Penny Arcade comic:

Ok - I feel the need to ask...

Is Penny Arcade supposed to be funny? Relevant? to programmers. I see (occasional comics) cited often on programming topics/lists, and in the context they're used in, they are funny/amusing. This wasn't one of them by the way - which is what lead to this post...

But I've been following it 'daily' recently, and am less than impressed.

Compare with (e.g.) xkcd - I find the humour there more.... funny(?)

I'm getting the wrong end of some stick somewhere - and unsure where.

• @PJH said:

I'm getting the wrong end of some stick somewhere - and unsure where.

I'm pretty sure that, if you're getting the end of ANY stick, it's bound to be the wrong one...

But to answer your mused ramblings, I never got into Penny Arcade that much either.  I guess it's a much more sarcastic, jaded view of the world that I don't feel the need to immerse myself in.  Same reason that Dilbert often is funny only in a very sad and twisted way...  xkcd is sometimes jaded but there's also a glimmer of purpose or hope there too.

• @PJH said:

Relevant? to programmers.

No. As Tycho would put it, "what the fuck are you on?"

It is quite obviously about gaming. Nobody could possibly mistake it for anything else.

• @GalacticCowboy said:

But to answer your mused ramblings, I never got into Penny Arcade that much either.  I guess it's a much more sarcastic, jaded view of the world that I don't feel the need to immerse myself in.  Same reason that Dilbert often is funny only in a very sad and twisted way...  xkcd is sometimes jaded but there's also a glimmer of purpose or hope there too.

I agree with your observations of PA, XKCD and Dilbert. I would like to note that I personally find both PA and XKCD terribly funny, and Dilbert mostly gets filed under the Weak Shit and How Is This Even A Joke category. But let's not ramble on the subjectivity of humour -- apparently plenty of people find Dilbert really funny. :)

• @dhromed said:

But let's not ramble on the subjectivity of humour -- apparently plenty of people find Dilbert really funny.

The thing about Dilbert is: if you work in the tech industry long enough, you either find Dilbert funny, or you find a chainsaw. 

• @asuffield said:

if you work in the tech industry long enough, you either find Dilbert funny, or you find a chainsaw.

Time for a career change. 

• @dhromed said:

@asuffield said:

if you work in the tech industry long enough, you either find Dilbert funny, or you find a chainsaw.

Time for a career change. 

That's what I tell everybody who asks what kind of job they should get. They never seem to pay attention. 

• @asuffield said:

The thing about Dilbert is: if you work in the tech industry long enough, you either find Dilbert funny, or you find a chainsaw. 

Or just send Asok out to get a chainsaw for you. With hilarious consequences.

Maybe it's just because I've seen too much office politics and dumb management, but I find Dilbert both funny and scarily accurate. xkcd is still better, though.

• @RayS said:

Maybe it's just because I've seen too much office politics and dumb management, but I find Dilbert both funny and scarily accurate. xkcd is still better, though.

Dilbert was much funnier before I worked in an environment where Scott Adams apparently had hidden cameras everywhere.