"War" Between Hackers and Scientology

• "A loose confederation of online troublemakers who call themselves Anonymous have declared war on the Church of Scientology by flooding its servers with fake data requests, describing the attacks as punishment for the Church's alleged abuse of copyright laws and alleged brainwashing of its members." --Wired blogs

Well, Anonymous of *chan fame has declared war against the Church of Scientology.  Hmm.   This should turn out to be interesting.

And to follow that meme – TRWTF® is Tom Cruise. 

Edit: Oops, I forgot the article link. 

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/anonymous-attac.html 

• Ebaum's World did it 

• @redct said:

"A loose confederation of online troublemakers who call themselves Anonymous have declared war on the Church of Scientology by flooding its servers with fake data requests, describing the attacks as punishment for the Church's alleged abuse of copyright laws and alleged brainwashing of its members." --Wired blogs

I hope those badass troublemakers will pwn Scientology hard and tell them to gtfo.

• That's realy mysterious! I often ran in this "Anonymous"-People everytime i try to login on some FTP-Servers at work.
    They definitively must be evil!

TRWTF is Scientology itself, imho.

• I just reported all you blasphemers for my $5000 a head reward, now I can pay my entrance fees :¬)  It's rough and tumble and it's wild and woolly and it's a blast, Scientology, oh ye-err!

•  We. Are. LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

• What I find the most funny is how nowadays the media loves to describe as "hackers" anyone that participates in such complex computer terrorism activities as "setting isAdmin=true in the query string", "changing hotlinked picture on own server" or "using gigaloader".

I liked it more when hackers were portrayed as cyberpunk rollerbladers. :(

• @redct said:

"A loose confederation of online troublemakers who call themselves Anonymous have declared war on the Church of Scientology by flooding its servers with fake data requests,
    describing the attacks as punishment for the Church's alleged abuse of
    copyright laws and alleged brainwashing of its members."
    --Wired blogs

Is it just me, or does it sound like they're DDoSing it?

• @Tann San said:

I just reported all you blasphemers for my $5000 a head reward, now I can pay my entrance fees :¬)  It's rough and tumble and it's wild and woolly and it's a blast, Scientology, oh ye-err!

Writing a bot right now to start reporting 127.0.0.1.

I feel it is my civic duty.

• @rbowes said:

@redct said:

"A loose confederation of online troublemakers who call themselves Anonymous have declared war on the Church of Scientology by flooding its servers with fake data requests, describing the attacks as punishment for the Church's alleged abuse of copyright laws and alleged brainwashing of its members." --Wired blogs

Is it just me, or does it sound like they're DDoSing it?

That is what it looks like, but likely the reporter doesn't know what the hell that is or what it's supposed to do.  Surprising considering it's a tech blog.

•  Butt kicking for goodness!!!

Its about time someone fought back! 

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@Tann San said:

I just reported all you blasphemers for my $5000 a head reward, now I can pay my entrance fees :¬)  It's rough and tumble and it's wild and woolly and it's a blast, Scientology, oh ye-err!

I second that... We just need to write a worm that would tunnel though ToR and spam that server (say 1 email a day from everyone infected) with 127.0.0.1... Ah this would be fun.

• @dlikhten said:

Butt kicking for goodness!!!

Its about time someone fought back!

I've never noticed they are fighting us. I thought that was required to be able to fight back...

• But ... they're the only ones that can help us! 

Either way ... 

I've canceled that in my area (laughs maniacally)

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@Tann San said:

The funny thing is, if you read some of the docs on operation clambake, they went after a guy who wrote on usenet "I have a bunch of CoS docs, they're hosted on my server at 127.0.0.1!" Surprise surprise, some CoS troll read that, went to 127.0.0.1, and wow, there's all sorts of crazy shit!

At least they dealt with it in arbitration and didn't try and sue the fuck out of him anyway.

•  Aaahh,Scientology. The near-perfect combination of bogus religion and pyramid selling scam...

• I'd rather have the DoJ declare "war" on scientology. Scientology's own propaganda encourages murder of their critics. Anyone not prepared to defend themselves against lethal attacks would be unprepared.

•  Someone needs to tell scientoligist to <font size="20">RTFB</font> (Read The Fucking Bible).

I'm down to write a bot to spam the reward webserver, sourceforge project anyone?

• @Nether said:

Anyone not prepared to defend themselves against lethal attacks would be unprepared.

Thank you Captain.  

• @elgate said:

@Nether said:

Anyone not prepared to defend themselves against lethal attacks would be unprepared.

Thank you Captain.  

You're welcome ensign. Now put on your red shirt. You've been assigned to the landing party. 

• Update: take a look at digg and you can find most of their documents. :P

• I vote for throwing porridge at them.

• William Tell is not Anonymous.
    Though shooting at the Scientologists, they accidentally managed to bring down a Dutch school.
    (Oh well, they also brainwash.)

• @kaamoss said:

Someone needs to tell scientoligist to <FONT size="20">RTFB</FONT> (Read The Fucking Bible).

I'm down to write a bot to spam the reward webserver, sourceforge project anyone?

Uh, no they don't. There's hardly much difference in insanity between the bible and scientology doctrine...

(P.S. EbaumsWorld is legion)

•  @ehird said:

Uh, no they don't. There's hardly much difference in insanity between the bible and scientology doctrine...

(P.S. EbaumsWorld is legion)

I've read parts of the Bible, I've read parts of Dianetics. The former is full of good stories and reads rather well (and never mind whether it's 'true'). The latter is a load of pseudoscientific babbling, and far less fun to read.

• There's hardly much difference in insanity between the bible and scientology doctrine..

The Bible, like all religious texts, is merely a collection of fairy tales, created out of fear and ignorance, to explain the world around us.  Dianetics (the Scientology "Bible") is pure insanity. 

• Scientology - the biggest WTF of all.  I forgot I had this.

The "Church" of Scientology sells expensive courses which, if students study them carefully, are supposed to set them free ("clear" them).  A former cientology member, Steven Fishman, was arrested for committing several rimes in order to get the money to pay for these courses.   According to Fishman, Scientology urged him to get the money any which way he could, also assigned him to kill somebody, and failing that, ordered him to commit suicide.   In an interview for Time Magazine, Fishman told those stories and blamed Scientology for his crimes.  Scientology sued him for slander.

When Fishman was brought to court, he used Scientology documents to claim he had been brainwashed by the Church.  As a result of being used in a court case, these documents became public material: anybody could go to the court library and read them.  The Church, fearing that its "secrets" would be revealed, has been waging an ongoing legal battle against anyone posting these documents on the Internet, but so far, every case has resulted in a ruling that this material is a matter of public record.  Interestingly, Scientology  claimed that the documents were forgeries when they were first used in court, but, when people began posting the material on the Internet, Scientology sued on the grounds of copyright infringement -- ie, these documents are the copyrighted property of the Church of Scientology.

The funny thing is, when you read the documents, it's just a lot of gibberish.  Apart from the instructions of how to treat non-Scientologists (lying is common sense, cheating is part and parcel) there's just this silly science-fiction tale about Xenu who controls all of us, except of course the few Scientologist who managed to "clear" themselves.  But the real story is that Scientology does not want their followers to  know what's in these documents.  They forbid anyone to read this material until they've taken lots of courses, stating that it would kill those who are not yet ready for it.  And of course Scientology asks their followers for massive amounts of money for the 'privilege' of reading this.

There has been great controversy, and massive litigation, concerning Scientology's once secret course "Operating Thetan Section Three" (also known as OT 3).  According to Scientology theory, we are all multiple personalities made up of hundreds of compacted extra-terrestrial entities.  Scientology claims that this is a business trade secret.

According to Scientology's founder, L. Ron Hubbard, 75 million years ago there was a "Galactic Federation" of 76 planets, including Earth (which was called Teegeeack at that time).  This federation was was ruled by Xenu.  Overpopulation had become a  serious problem, which Xenu resolved by murdering many of the inhabitants..  The people were killed and their spirits ("thetans") were gathered, frozen in a mixture of glycol and alcohol, and brought to  Earth where they were placed near volcanoes which were exploded with  hydrogen bombs. The thetans were gathered on "electronic ribbons", packaged together as clusters and given 36 days of implanting, to render them servile and incapable of decision.  (Implanting is a process where the thetan is hypnotised and given positive suggestions which limit its powers).

A cluster is a collection of body thetans containing a leader and an "alternate" leader.  The cluster conceives  itself to be an individual.  According to OT 3, everyone on Earth is in fact a collection of such clusters.  Hubbard says that each person doing OT 3 will find "hundreds" of body thetans - many victims of this course believe that they find millions.

Scientologists believe that they have reincarnated from before the  beginning of time.  Before the beginning of time, thetans existed, separate from one another (thetans were not created - they have existed for all time and indeed precede the creation of time).  With the creation of energy and matter, thetans have gradually become trapped.   In OT 3, the individual finds "body thetans" by locating any sensation of pressure or mass in his or her body.  This is addressed "telepathically" as a cluster, and taken through the cluster-making incident of 75 million years ago.  Once this is done, the individual body thetans should be available to be taken through either the same incident or the incident of
    entry into this universe.  This is called "incident one", and supposedly occured Four Quadrillion years ago.

The Scientologist spends days or years dealing with "body thetans".Scientology materials of different dates assert that at the end of OT 3 the individual will be "stably exterior" (from his body - out of his head, it might be rephrased), free from "overwhelm" (i.e., nothing will ever overwhelm him emotionally again), and have total recall of all his previous incarnations from Four Quadrillion years ago to the present.

Secret materials, seen only by those selling the course, give the "end phenomenon" as a "big win" urging that the person be put onto the next course quickly -- where they pay by the hour.  Anyone who encounters this material without having first undertaken Scientology  courses OT 1 and OT 2 will supposedly die from pneumonia.

• Well, that explains my cough.

•  Religion based on giberish is depressing. Corporate religion based on giberish geared twoards making money and devoid of any morals is outright dangerous.

PS. The dude who did the anonymous video with high-speed clouds and the voice rulez. Powerfully composed. A+ for dramatica.  

• It appears we don't have any scientologist developers to offend here.  Or maybe all the scientologist developers are TRWTF and are featured on this site, rather than (FUCK SHIT why do you delete two characters when I hit the backspace button once?) as I was saying, rather than participating and knowing their ass from a hole in the ground. 

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Scientology Google-bombed

Couldn't happen to a nicer cult: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/571459/google_bomb_claims_scientology_victim.html 

• @El_Heffe said:

The Bible, like all religious texts, is merely a collection of fairy tales, created out of fear and ignorance, to explain the world around us.  Dianetics (the Scientology "Bible") is pure insanity. 

No. The Bible is a good book of wisdom, it is a collection of all different old books. Some are mythological stories (such as Genesis), but some are more historically accurate. But, it is supposed to be wisdom, not necessarily literal. Don't take it too much literally! It doesn't matter what religion are you, if you read it it is still good.

•  This is the bible you should read.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@AccessGuru said:

<snip>
    Whatever. I found this one mildly amusing however:

John Travolta pancake

@glossip.com said:

Scientology is NOT funny. But that thing on John Travolta’s head is. Why does he have two different colors of hair? Seriously, what is up?

• @zzo38 said:

@El_Heffe said:

No. The Bible is a good book of wisdom, it is a collection of all different old books. Some are mythological stories (such as Genesis), but some are more historically accurate. But, it is supposed to be wisdom, not necessarily literal. Don't take it too much literally! It doesn't matter what religion are you, if you read it it is still good.

This is how the Bible came about.

• @Hatshepsut said:

This is how the Bible came about.

That gibberish makes even less sense than the Bible. 

• @kaamoss said:

Someone needs to tell scientoligist to <font size="20">RTFB</font> (Read The Fucking Bible).

Yeah because then they would realize that the "virgin" Mary was obviously latina and took it in the butt so she could say she was still a virgin.