Unexpected Error Handling



  • Well you don't expect that kind of error handling, or better error not-handling by microsoft and especially not on their msdn-site:

    MSDN Exception

     

    Another nice error handling I experienced with google reader. At least they don't show you the exception. Well they don't show you anything helpful at all:

    Google Error



  •  Errors do happen, even for MS (surprise, surprise!) They should have had a catch-all exception handler with custom error pages set up... but this is the proper behavior beyond that,

    If they had CustomErrors Mode="Off" that would be a WTF.

    I would assume on the google page, that is simply a way of saying "Something broke on our end, move along, nothing to see here." If there was something you did wrong, displaying some helpful text would be good. But when a problem occurs in the code and/or on the server end, there is not much more that they could do.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    But when a problem occurs in the code and/or on the server end, there is not much more that they could do.
     

    After all, google is still in Beta ... 



  • This message should never be visible.



  • @Pendi said:

    At least they don't show you the exception. 

     

    Actually, if you look at the Microsoft error more closely you'll see they don't show you the exception either:

     "Error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely."



  • @jcoehoorn said:

    @Pendi said:

    At least they don't show you the exception. 

     

    Actually, if you look at the Microsoft error more closely you'll see they don't show you the exception either:

     "Error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely."

     true



  • @H|B said:

    This message should never be visible.

     

    I agree custom error pages should be used. But there is nothing actually wrong with this page being displayed. 

    Just not very professional looking. Doesn't hurt anything.



  • The Daily WTF also had it's own WTF a few days ago...

     

    Daily WTF's own WTF



  • Err... I was (ineffectively) refering to those old messages that sometimes pop up at our face... like "This window should not appear", "This control will never be visible"...



  •  @Sunday Ironfoot said:

    The Daily WTF also had it's own WTF a few days ago...

     

    [snip]

    OMGz! Not an Errorz!!!!!1!!!!ELeVENTY!!!!!

    OH NOES!

     

    Yeah... TRWTF is you screen cap every error you see on the internet. A simple website error is NOT a WTF. Sorry to have to break the news to you.

    At least the OP was sort of funny, since it WAS MS and it WAS MSDN, and it WAS ASP.NET.  But jeez, get a life.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     Errors do happen, even for MS (surprise, surprise!)

    ...

    If they had CustomErrors Mode="Off" that would be a WTF.

     

     

    They should have just enabled that global On Error Resume Next ... ;-) 



  • @medialint said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     Errors do happen, even for MS (surprise, surprise!)

    ...

    If they had CustomErrors Mode="Off" that would be a WTF.

     

     

    They should have just enabled that global On Error Resume Next ... ;-) 

     

    No way man! Just use GOTOs and use line numbers as the labels. Then you can use those line numbers in print statements.

    SSDS - Zesty!



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     @Sunday Ironfoot said:

    The Daily WTF also had it's own WTF a few days ago...

     

    [snip]

    OMGz! Not an Errorz!!!!!1!!!!ELeVENTY!!!!!

    OH NOES!

     

    Yeah... TRWTF is you screen cap every error you see on the internet. A simple website error is NOT a WTF. Sorry to have to break the news to you.

    At least the OP was sort of funny, since it WAS MS and it WAS MSDN, and it WAS ASP.NET.  But jeez, get a life.

    Actually, I once had an interesting error - a 500 Internal Server Error on Google search (not just any Google page, www.google.com/search!)  Definitely good for a laugh when that happens, since it's just so... rare!



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

     @Sunday Ironfoot said:

    The Daily WTF also had it's own WTF a few days ago...

     

    [snip]

    [snip]

    Yeah... TRWTF is you screen cap every error you see on the internet. A simple website error is NOT a WTF. Sorry to have to break the news to you.

    At least the OP was sort of funny, since it WAS MS and it WAS MSDN, and it WAS ASP.NET.  But jeez, get a life.

    Just pointing out that the shot is of the new site layout. He could have just gone to http://thedailywtf.com/error.htm like I did, and screenshot it.



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    OMGz! Not an Errorz!!!!!1!!!!ELeVENTY!!!!!

    OH NOES!

     

    Yeah... TRWTF is you screen cap every error you see on the internet. A simple website error is NOT a WTF. Sorry to have to break the news to you.

    At least the OP was sort of funny, since it WAS MS and it WAS MSDN, and it WAS ASP.NET.  But jeez, get a life.

     

    No, TRWTF was that the screen caps were so big for so little content.  Unless the whitespace was somehow important....Well, I guess google does use a lot of python. 

     



  • @Sunday Ironfoot said:

    The Daily WTF also had it's own WTF a few days ago...

     

    [vista shot]

     

    I've not used vista yet, so sometimes I wonder if it's annoying to see the background blitzing through the titlebar whenever you drag around a window.



  •  unfair

    <!--[if gte vml 1]>

    <![endif]-->

    I feel sorry for this poor developer. 

     

     



  • @medialint said:

    They should have just enabled that global On Error Resume Next ... ;-) 

     

     

    How about On Error Goto 0.



  • @pitchingchris said:

    @medialint said:

    They should have just enabled that global On Error Resume Next ... ;-) 

     

     

    How about On Error Goto 0.

    On error resume prev ???



  • @snoofle said:

    On error resume prev ???

    More like "On error resume start".


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.