I've got a fever...

• ...and the only cure is more ternary operations!

public boolean isNameSearch()

{

return inputSearchType.equals("name") ? true : false;

}

It's double-plus true!  And it's all over my codebase!

Seriously, if you, as a programmer, do not understand basic boolean logic, the kind taught in those first year discrete math courses in any decent CS program, please do the rest of us a favor and consider a career change.  Thank you!

• Is that worse than "if (x == true) return true; else return false;" ?

• It could be worse.

Why is Boolean the source of so many WTFs? It seems like it's 1-2 a day, in this forum only...

• @H|B said:

Why is Boolean the source of so many WTFs? It seems like it's 1-2 a day, in this forum only...

Seriously, it's like the simpler something is, the more spectacular ways people find to screw it up.  

• I think it's because novice programmers (maybe some senior programmers, too) are so used to seeing:

if (condition)
        //

else
       //

so they just try to fit everything into that construct.  There might also be a disconnect between using boolean as a return type and seeing it in an if-statement.

I just cleaned a few of these guys up myself.  Turns out IntelliJ IDEA has a built-in wizard that finds these guys and will correct them automatically if you click on the little icon that shows up in the margin. 

• @livid said:

...and the only cure is more ternary operations!

{

return inputSearchType.equals("name") ? true : false;

}

It's double-plus true!  And it's all over my codebase!

Seriously, if you, as a programmer, do not understand basic boolean logic, the kind taught in those first year discrete math courses in any decent CS program, please do the rest of us a favor and consider a career change.  Thank you!

Here is that code refactored, with the new quartenary operator in C

{

return inputSearchType.equals("name") !? true : false : file_not_found ;

}

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@m0ffx said:

Here is that code refactored, with the new quartenary operator in C

{

return inputSearchType.equals("name") true : false : file_not_found ;

}

There, fixed that for you. HTH.

• @PJH said:

There, fixed that for you. HTH.

Needs more cow bell. 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.