GQ's Cover Page Disaster.

• Fashion blog GoFugYourself.com made a post about an ugly GQ cover page (may be NSFW - picture of a model in a bikini.) I thought this fits into Graphic Design WTF criteria.

Obviously GQ didn't have anyone to put on the cover that day and decided to use the stock photos. But whoever was tasked (newly hired designer?) screwed up royally:

- incorrect shadows make the model look like she's about to fall;

- bad perspective make one leg smaller that the other;

- and the use of standard Photoshop drop-shadows around model's figure.... oh my god!

I can't stress enough how bad that cover looks. Think of the worst code WTF with the exception that the cover will be seen by ten of thousands of people. And even though the target audience (men) could probably care less, I can assure you that upon seeing this, every graphic designer will have a seizure.

• You forgot to mention the clearly hand-painted bikini colors/pattern. You know, mostly there's light and shadow on clothing... But it might just be the screenshot...?

• @Zealander said:

(may be NSFW - picture of a model in a bikini.)

Dude, do you work in a monastery?

(The photo sucks)

• My god, it's full of ugly! I think I could have made a better-looking cover and I have absolutely no graphics design skills whatsoever.

The upside is, though, that it's not software. Software of that quality would've been made by an external consultant, billing 100$ per hour five hours/day for six months straight.

• Holy crap, what a horrid job on the bikini!

• She looks like her photo was printed in a cardboard, cut, put up in a weird perspective, then photographed again. The drop shadow is appalling.

• I'm sure this was the first image that came up when doing the random image search, and obviously the bad perspective is caused by the camera not being placed properly in front of the monitor.

• @tray said:

I'm sure this was the first image that came up when doing the random image search, and obviously the bad perspective is caused by the camera not being placed properly in front of the monitor.

Yeah, if only SpectateSwamp would have shown them how to "video it in" properly, they would have had a much more professional looking cover page...

• @Zealander said:

Fashion blog GoFugYourself.com made a post about an ugly GQ cover page (may be NSFW - picture of a model in a bikini.) I thought this fits into Graphic Design WTF criteria.

Obviously GQ didn't have anyone to put on the cover that day and decided to use the stock photos. But whoever was tasked (newly hired designer?) screwed up royally:

- and the use of standard Photoshop drop-shadows around model's figure.... oh my god!

I can't stress enough how bad that cover looks. Think of the worst code WTF with the exception that the cover will be seen by ten of thousands of people. And even though the target audience (men) could probably care less, I can assure you that upon seeing this, every graphic designer will have a seizure.

Wait.... is she doing a patridiotic pose in a "Sailor Moon" bikini?? That's the real WTF®™

PS: Am I the only one who think a girl is fugly when you can count her ribs?

• @CapitalT said:

@Zealander said:

Fashion blog GoFugYourself.com made a post about an ugly GQ cover page (may be NSFW - picture of a model in a bikini.) I thought this fits into Graphic Design WTF criteria.

Wait.... is she doing a patridiotic pose in a "Sailor Moon" bikini?? That's the real WTF&trademark;

What ribs? Why would I be looking at her ribs?

• I count two ribs. Oh... wait...

Well, there are even more pictures here - I don't know who edited them, but he should look for another job...  (linked site is in German)

• @CapitalT said:

Not necessarily.  Makes me want to scream "eat a sandwich!"

Could be why she's doing so much work with her clothes on.  Focus on her face, not her ribs.

• @belgariontheking said:

@CapitalT said:

Not necessarily.  Makes me want to scream "eat a sandwich!"

Could be why she's doing so much work with her clothes on.  Focus on her face, not her ribs.

She has a face??? 

• I plan to join MPS's crusade to hijack the tag cloud.  TAG_CLOUDS_ARE_LAME

• @belgariontheking said:

I plan to join MPS's crusade to hijack the tag cloud.  TAG_CLOUDS_ARE_LAME

Thank you. Viva la tag cloud revolucion!

• Someone should have enhanced the booby class.

• @asuffield said:

@Zealander said:

(may be NSFW - picture of a model in a bikini.)

Dude, do you work in a monastery?

(The photo sucks)

In America, having a bikini-clad girl showing on your screen, even if you haven't invited anyone else to look at the image, can and has prompted sexual harassment complaints that result in dismissal. I appreciated the warning, as I would not take a chance of viewing a girl in a bikini on my work machine.

So I guess the answer is, yes, most Americans work in a monastery.

And I agree, the image sucks.

• @VGR said:

In America, having a bikini-clad girl showing on your screen, even if you haven't invited anyone else to look at the image, can and has prompted sexual harassment complaints that result in dismissal. I appreciated the warning, as I would not take a chance of viewing a girl in a bikini on my work machine.

"America: taking stupid to a whole new level"

• @asuffield said:

@VGR said:

That is a libelous and defamatory remark against every single person in the nation. We are going to launch a class action lawsuit against you. All Americans are invited to include themselves in the suit. There will also be a sex discrimination suit, as clearly your remark is disparaging towards women, and a criminal prosecution for racism, since you are attacking ethnic minorities and accusing them of being stupid. And since you failed to include an audio version of your post, you are in breach of  the Americans With Disabilities Act, and face a fine for that too.

• @m0ffx said:

@asuffield said:

That is a libelous and defamatory remark against every single person in the nation. We are going to launch a class action lawsuit against you. All Americans are invited to include themselves in the suit. There will also be a sex discrimination suit, as clearly your remark is disparaging towards women, and a criminal prosecution for racism, since you are attacking ethnic minorities and accusing them of being stupid. And since you failed to include an audio version of your post, you are in breach of  the Americans With Disabilities Act, and face a fine for that too.

I join in this lawsuit.  When do I get my check?  What are the lawyer fees?  I hope it's a percentage of the profits and not an up-front amount.