Totally new way of video editing



  • I've done some more research on our new best friend (which may be a WTF in itself, but never mind). I found the following posting on Digital Point where Mr. Open Source is trying to spread his ideas about the right way of video editing:

    Video forums have been roasting me over the idea of not editing any video. I keep the video segments short, very short. Just don't play any segments that are no good. Shoot multiple clips if the event is worthwhile. Shoot many short videos at every event. I've done around a 100 are rodeo and demo derby day.

    If you have to edit. Display the desired segments on a screen and video that in. Quick and Dirty, but it works.

    (Emphasis by me). WTF is that? Video in footage displayed on a screen for editing (maybe even showing the mouse movements necessary to select the next segment, let alone the video player UI)?? Is this guy real?

    But that's not all! He continues:

    Most of forums have now Blocked, Suspended, Locked & Terminated the post. There will be a flood of unedited video. This is just the first ripple. What's got them so riled up about the idea of people not having to edit video.

    Hmmmm.

    The best part, however, is his own follow-up post:

    Hollywood spends time and $$$ building rails, to make camera movements smooth. I've learned to move with the camera and take out the footsteps. The jiggle is reduced and the excitement increases.

    Don't even try, going through heavy bush with a camera steady. You will miss more shots, by adding too much equipment.

    When I walk up to a big squirrel den and check out some of the entry holes people are glued to the examination of that mound. This kind of movement, wasn't done easily before, because the equipment was huge and unwieldly. I say take the camcorder and "run with it"

    I've been re-reading the posts, where I still have viewing privileges. Some of the banter was hilarious.  Anybody interested in carrying on the cause in those "BANNED" forums?

    If you capture really good video it's hard to edit any of it.

    I'll leave that uncommented...



  • What he doesn't tell you is that he has been sneaking into your house every night and filming you while you sleep...

    Eventually he will drag you back to his shack....



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    What he doesn't tell you is that he has been sneaking into your house every night and filming you while you sleep...

    Eventually he will drag you back to his shack....

    Nooooooo! Will  have to work on Desktop Search then? 



  • @tdittmar said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    What he doesn't tell you is that he has been sneaking into your house every night and filming you while you sleep...

    Eventually he will drag you back to his shack....

    Nooooooo! Will  have to work on Desktop Search then? 

    Yes. But that won't be the only evil that is done to you.



  • Viddy that, oh, my brothers!



  • He has a totally new way of text editing, too, it would seem.



  • Roight roight roight.



  • Well since he's probably had a massive breakthrough in contextually indexing video and audio, his super-slick desktop search program indexes everything about everything, so he has no need for editing.

    There have been thousands of nature shows on TV, all of which have good, clean, moving camera-work. Now do you think National Geographic spends time and money (read $$$) building rails in the middle of Siberia?

    This guy is obviously a professional. Using 'video' as a verb is hollywood jargon for 'record', right? I mean, I've never heard it that way, but I've never been to Hollywood, either.
     



  • When I walk up to a big squirrel den and check out some of the entry holes people are glued to the examination of that mound.

    I certainly hope he doesn't mean literally. I've heard of burying people near anthills, but it seems the rednecks have taken it a step further...



  • I wonder if he realizes that <a href="http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/">there's an easier way</a>? We do spend a lot of time and money to make these functions available to our users who certainly do seem to like editing their video!



  • @dcardani said:

    I wonder if he realizes that <a href="http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/">there's an easier way</a>? We do spend a lot of time and money to make these functions available to our users who certainly do seem to like editing their video!

    <sarcasm>Well, you completely fail to realize that your work is completely useless while we still can "video in" stuff playing on our monitors!</sarcasm>



  • This guy is awsome, also read his other posts at the forums...
    Not he has only invented new video editing technology. He has also invented Manual Zoom. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=299549

    You know, MS is just pure evil. They are scared of the new SSDS (Spectate Swamps Desktop Search). Citation from http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/ ,his homepage:

    Following is a link to my posts on channel9.msdn.com
    Read my statements first. Those by microsoft staffers
    are very misleading and appear to be quite defensive
    See how the treads that remain open - are so silent?
    (more or less a manual on this search)
    *** 126,000 views on these 9 threads ***



    Also Mr. Desktop search was giving advices on writing search engines. See his code. Goto NOT considered harmful.
    For me; the most difficult part was the "line wrap and match highlights"
    Grab the VB code (it matches the flowcharts)
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/code.txt
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict01.jpg
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict02.jpg
    If you clean up that code. I might just want a copy.





  • All video is just an XML document waiting to be created.  And once it's in XML, you can transform it to anything!  Hollywood as we know it will cease to exist!!

    </sarcasm>



  • @GalacticCowboy said:

    All video is just an XML document waiting to be created.  And once it's in XML, you can transform it to anything!  Hollywood as we know it will cease to exist!!

    Have you been smoking Quicktime? 



  • @msntfs said:

    This guy is awsome, also read his other posts at the forums...

    My favorite quote of that long list of "you only figured this out now?" advice is:


    Remove the lens cap at the beginning of the day. Too many good opportunities

    are missed because of it. Like way way too many.

    Wonder how many hours of "black" video he's gotten because he doesn't look through the view finder.

    Then there's the file naming convention... But woah, he's advocating multiple file names! Guess his "everything in one .txt" file only applies to text. Otherwise he'd be getting some insanely huge/long video files... but then, that's what his search app is for. One file über alles.

     



  • With digital video and computers. Break ALL the rules. Those that won't break Keep!

    @MarcB said:

    @msntfs said:

    This guy is awsome, also read his other posts at the forums...

    My favorite quote of that long list of "you only figured this out now?" advice is:

    Remove the lens cap at the beginning of the day. Too many good opportunities
    are missed because of it. Like way way too many.

    Wonder how many hours of "black" video he's gotten because he doesn't look through the view finder.

    Then there's the file naming convention... But woah, he's advocating multiple file names! Guess his "everything in one .txt" file only applies to text. Otherwise he'd be getting some insanely huge/long video files... but then, that's what his search app is for. One file über alles.

     

     

    Editing causes multiple copies of the original to be here and there. I keep my file names short and numbered. For a given day. I'll add notes to my videos.txt file just detailing what was done that day on that video sequence. I haven't done all that much detailed cataloging lately. Most of my recent video has been political.

    I shoot politicians in at the lowest resolution. They just arn't worth the extra few cents.

    By moving through the bush, bent at the waist with my camcorder in my right hand about a foot and 1/2 in front of me. I caught our dog catching a mouse. I was pointing the camera like a flashlight. Looking through the viewfinder sometimes obscures your view of your surroundings. It's pretty trippy out in the bush just too much stuff to cause a fall. If your arn't watching.

    Brownie steal my mouse. IN slow motion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtrpnh6F8TY

    When you shoot lots of video, sometimes you get a surprise.

    Ruffed Grouse strutting to our music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvn-wyE9C-8

     



  • @SpectateSwamp said:

    I shoot politicians <snip>

    By moving through the bush, bent at the waist with my camcorder in my right hand

    Be glad you aren't moving through the bushes while shooting politicians.

    @SpectateSwamp said:

    Brownie steal my mouse. IN slow motion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtrpnh6F8TY

    When you shoot lots of video, sometimes you get a surprise.

    Ruffed Grouse strutting to our music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvn-wyE9C-8

    Considering you have the video in digital form, don't you think you could *you know* upload that video with your voice overlaying?  You know, rather than taking ANOTHER video (a poor one) of a video of your dog getting a mouse?

    I'm convinced this guy is from some place like Kentucky, where there is absolutely nothing do to, and he has to video every little thing that happens in order to relive it.  The accent supports this.

    If I ever spent a december day taking video of my dog and a stinkin bird, I'd have to shoot myself. 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @SpectateSwamp said:

    I shoot politicians <snip>

    By moving through the bush, bent at the waist with my camcorder in my right hand

    Be glad you aren't moving through the bushes while shooting politicians.

    @SpectateSwamp said:

    Brownie steal my mouse. IN slow motion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtrpnh6F8TY

    When you shoot lots of video, sometimes you get a surprise.

    Ruffed Grouse strutting to our music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvn-wyE9C-8

    Considering you have the video in digital form, don't you think you could *you know* upload that video with your voice overlaying?  You know, rather than taking ANOTHER video (a poor one) of a video of your dog getting a mouse?

    I'm convinced this guy is from some place like Kentucky, where there is absolutely nothing do to, and he has to video every little thing that happens in order to relive it.  The accent supports this.

    If I ever spent a december day taking video of my dog and a stinkin bird, I'd have to shoot myself. 

    He is actually from Alberta, Canada. Even worse.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    If I ever spent a december day taking video of my dog and a stinkin bird, I'd have to shoot myself.


    His "no-editing" policy and his "oh-really" list of tips are definitely on the list of The Real WTFs (tm). However, I think that video filming as his hobby should not be made fun of. Some people like going out filming stuff and if he does it is ok for me. Other people like to collect beer cans, which I would not do either, but it is their hobby, so I don't care.

    BTW: Here he shows a video of a video (well, THAT should be a (tm) term!) pointing out "Strange Video Artifacts - Slow motion & close up". I didn't turn on the speakers: Is he really pointing at the MPEG compression blocks?

     



  • @tdittmar said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    If I ever spent a december day taking video of my dog and a stinkin bird, I'd have to shoot myself.


    His "no-editing" policy and his "oh-really" list of tips are definitely on the list of The Real WTFs (tm). However, I think that video filming as his hobby should not be made fun of. Some people like going out filming stuff and if he does it is ok for me. Other people like to collect beer cans, which I would not do either, but it is their hobby, so I don't care.

    BTW: Here he shows a video of a video (well, THAT should be a (tm) term!) pointing out "Strange Video Artifacts - Slow motion & close up". I didn't turn on the speakers: Is he really pointing at the MPEG compression blocks?

    Anything Spectate does is open to be made fun of. He is a living, breathing WTF generator.



  • They are birds which have been compressed, and then refilmed off of a video screen and recompressed. How he could figure out to upload what he filmed off of the screen, but not be able to upload the original video is beyond me. (Or at least link to it if it wasn't his.)

    But thinking that birds and macro blocks are some mysterious phenomenon is unfortunately nothing new. There are people who think that lens flares and bokeh are ghosts, and that the visual warping you get from a fast-flying insect close to a video camera are some weird rod-like aliens that science doesn't know about. Do a search for "ghost orbs" and "rods" to see what I mean. It's breathtaking in its inanity. I mean, I can understand not knowing what they were initially, but once you hear the explanation, it really is sad to keep believing that you're seeing ghosts or aliens.



  • @dcardani said:

    How he could figure out to upload what he filmed off of the screen, but not be able to upload the original video is beyond me. (Or at least link to it if it wasn't his.)

    Well, read the original post above. This is all part of the new style video editing! It's done using the "Video-In The Video"™ technique!



  • I've gone fro nutter to troll back to nutter with this guy.  He just does too many stupid things to not be real.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.