Apple Decreases Price by Negative $70

• http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-01-15-macworld_N.htm

Key phrase: "Apple also announced a new version of Apple TV, its device for watching digital entertainment on a television, and lowered the price from $229 to $299."

What a steal! Glad I waited - now I can save $-70! 

A little later: "The news didn't impress Wall Street. Apple shares fell more than 6% in mid-day trading." No kidding, Sherlock...

• If you, you know, checked the facts, you'd see that they actually lowered the price from 299 to 229. It's called a "typo."

• @ArneArts said:

If you, you know, checked the facts, you'd see that they actually lowered the price from 299 to 229. It's called a "typo."

So short of actually being at the Macworld conference, how would you expect him to check his facts?  How about reading USA Today?  Wouldn't you expect them to already have done so?

• @ArneArts said:

If you, you know, checked the facts, you'd see that they actually lowered the price from 299 to 229. It's called a "typo."

Here come the shameless Apple defenders!

• Gizmodo.com had live coverage of Macworld.  Within minutes of the price change being announced, it was on their website.

It's obviously a typo if they used the word "lowered", then showed an increase.  Deciding whether the word should have been "raised" or the numbers were switched is an exercise for the reader (and contextually, I think it was pretty obvious).

Not a WTF, and not really tech-related

• Gosh, I must have forgotten to check with whoever decides which typos
    are funny and which aren't. Either that, or TRWTF is that some people
    lack sarcasm detectors.

• @tmountjr said:

Gosh, I must have forgotten to check with whoever decides which typos are funny and which aren't. Either that, or TRWTF is that some people lack sarcasm detectors.

Didn't anyone tell you that any WTF involving Apple is forbidden?

Geez.

• @ArneArts said:

Actually, here it's called a "WTF."   I think the type counts enough.

• @KattMan said:

@ArneArts said:

So short of actually being at the Macworld conference, how would you expect him to check his facts?

How about going to Apple's online store and looking at the current price? That certainly seems to be the obvious, easy thing to do... 

• I once read a newspaper article that had a couple misspelled words.  If you want, I can look them up and post them here.

• @The Vicar said:

@KattMan said:

@ArneArts said:

So short of actually being at the Macworld conference, how would you expect him to check his facts?

How about going to Apple's online store and looking at the current price? That certainly seems to be the obvious, easy thing to do... 

That isn't required of any other WTF. Why should he?

• @tster said:

I once read a newspaper article that had a couple misspelled words.  If you want, I can look them up and post them here.

In case you didn't notice, the words were spelled fine in his post. Get over it. It is a minor WTF, but a WTF nonetheless.

• @tster said:

I once read a newspaper article that had a couple misspelled words.  If you want, I can look them up and post them here.

Sure, if it makes a funny or ironic error! Anything to do between bouts of pretending to work. :)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@rbowes said:

@tster said:

Sure, if it makes a funny or ironic error! Anything to do between bouts of pretending to work. :)

I highly recommend The Grauniad.

• @The Vicar said:

@KattMan said:

@ArneArts said:

Nice how you pull the relevant portion of my quote out.  Here I'll add it back in:

"How about reading USA Today?  Wouldn't you expect them to already have done so?"

Wouldn't that also be the obvious thing to do in most situations?  Checking the online store proves nothing, how does he know if the price was updated by then or still pending?  Facts like these are tenuous and some faith has to be given to whatever source you are using, USA Today usually has a good track record.

• @KattMan said:

@The Vicar said:
    @KattMan said:

@ArneArts said:

Nice how you pull the relevant portion of my quote out.  Here I'll add it back in:

"How about reading USA Today?  Wouldn't you expect them to already have done so?"

Wouldn't that also be the obvious thing to do in most situations?  Checking the online store proves nothing, how does he know if the price was updated by then or still pending?  Facts like these are tenuous and some faith has to be given to whatever source you are using, USA Today usually has a good track record.

funny, I always thought USA Today was one of the worst national newspapers in the country.  Right behind the NY Times, and the Washington Post...  oh wait...  I guess that's most of the big national papers.  Oh well, there's still the wall street journal and the Onion.... 

• @KattMan said:

@ArneArts said:

So short of actually being at the Macworld conference, how would you expect him to check his facts?  How about reading USA Today?  Wouldn't you expect them to already have done so?

History says "No".