Calc.exe is apparently cutting edge technology

• @asuffield said:

@Aaron said:

Considering that [B]win[/B]3.1, [B]win[/B]98, [B]win[/B]NT, [B]win[/B]2k, [B]win[/B]xp, and [B]windows[/B] Vista all carry the brand name [B]Windows[/B]

Well that was a pretty dumb thing to say.

I carefully picked out versions which were more or less complete rewrite of most or all of the code.

Or that Intel x86 won't survive

It's dead. AMD64 killed it.

Oh, and we all know whose sock puppet you are.

So what you are saying is once again you have no backing to the argument, and you will just cry "shill"?

• @Soviut said:

@Zylon said:

@vt_mruhlin said:

1 000 should be a singillion (or maybe a monillion or just an illion), 1 000 000 should be a billion, 1 000 000 000 should be a trillian, etc.  Forget thousands.

This is why we don't let Texans do math. 

Alabama Pi = 3 

Here in KY we reckon it's a bit closer to 4.

• @medialint said:

I like reading Action Line in the Merc but:

http://www.mercurynews.com/actionline/ci_7959846

San Jose has an annual operating budget of nearly $1 billion.

That's about $1,000 for every man, woman and child residing in the city.

([b]This is no small amount. The calculators on my iMac and Blackberry could not calculate this. I had to use pen and paper. You may remember those.[/b])

I don't have either an iMac or a Blackberry but with ten seconds to get the population of San Jose, CA from wikipedia (929,936) I get $1075.34 from calc.exe

Who knew it was so superior?

You are dividing a billion by a million... What do you need a calculator or balckberry or even a pen and paper for?

• @chrismcb said:

@medialint said:

I like reading Action Line in the Merc but:

http://www.mercurynews.com/actionline/ci_7959846

San Jose has an annual operating budget of nearly $1 billion.

That's about $1,000 for every man, woman and child residing in the city.

([b]This is no small amount. The calculators on my iMac and Blackberry could not calculate this. I had to use pen and paper. You may remember those.[/b])

I don't have either an iMac or a Blackberry but with ten seconds to get the population of San Jose, CA from wikipedia (929,936) I get $1075.34 from calc.exe

Who knew it was so superior?

You are dividing a billion by a million... What do you need a calculator or balckberry or even a pen and paper for?

I don't. Dennis Rockstroh I guess does though. And that wasn't the point ... ;-) The point was to start a flamewar between Mac and PC ... heh. Nah really it just jumped out at me when I was reading the article and I thought it odd that neither could divide a billion by a million.

• @asuffield said:

@Aaron said:

Considering that [B]win[/B]3.1, [B]win[/B]98, [B]win[/B]NT, [B]win[/B]2k, [B]win[/B]xp, and [B]windows[/B] Vista all carry the brand name [B]Windows[/B]

Well that was a pretty dumb thing to say.

I carefully picked out versions which were more or less complete rewrite of most or all of the code.

Are you mentally challenged? Windows has never had a rewrite, with the only exception being the 9x line of consumer products. Even Vista isn't a rewrite, it's a fork from Win2003 SP1. They did try to do a complete rewrite after admitting the code base is stale and unmaintainable, and spent several years trying before finally giving up. Remember that vulnerability in Vista due to a problem in code from Win3.1?

2000 came from NT; they made substantial changes and additions to the core (especially with AD) but it's basically NT with a Win95-looking shell. I can't begin to fathom why you would include XP in your "carefully picked out" list of "more or less complete rewrites". Heck you even included Win98 which clearly wasn't a rewrite of Win95. That doesn't even look different to '95, much less function differently.

Or that Intel x86 won't survive

It's dead. AMD64 killed it.

So, x86 was killed by a 100% compatible extension, which even now most people aren't using because it seems most software companies can't work out how to compile 64 bit versions of their software?