Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ?

• Maybe this guy is a fake? I don't know.

What I do know is I found this entertaining and I thought I'd share this with those of you who might not have stumbled upon this Jerry Lee Cooper character before. 

You are kidding arent you ?

Are you saying that this
    linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As
    in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If
    it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling
    computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there
    must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that
    windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the
    computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to
    acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent
    $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound
    reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence
    overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive
    effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money
    developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to
    create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and
    moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a
    freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs
    the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the
    more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

[ Original ZDNet Talkback post ]

[ More here ] In particular:

Vista is the Future

Its clearly evident that vista is the future.
    One only has to watch TV for a short period of time and see the advertising.

WOW !!

I
    personally love the part where the young man is taking a stroll in the
    delightful snow covered streets, and sees firsthand a young deer with a
    gleefull glint in its eye. It sends a shiver down my spine. WOW is all
    I can say.

Vista is clearly the future of enterprise computing.

• This is someone's joke character, not something someone really believes.  The line about OS/2 proves it.  Anyone computer-literate enough to have heard of OS/2 couldn't make this mistake.

• @seaturnip said:

This is someone's joke character, not something someone really believes.  The line about OS/2 proves it.  Anyone computer-literate enough to have heard of OS/2 couldn't make this mistake.

I don't know... have you met dlikhten?

• @seaturnip said:

This is someone's joke character, not something someone really believes.  The line about OS/2 proves it.  Anyone computer-literate enough to have heard of OS/2 couldn't make this mistake.

And Iowans would never choose a Republican presidential candidate who didn't believe in basic science. Never underestimate the power of stupidity. 

• @seaturnip said:

I dunno, it could be one of the MS shills - they're known to frequent zdnet in large numbers. Gets kinda hard to tell the difference between them and the regular crazies at times.

• This guy's obviously a paid shill. His grammar and spelling is correct but his sentences make no sense.

• Okay, don't laugh but I work on VMS.  Yes, VMS that ran on Vaxes in the 1980's from Digital Equipment.  Not many people know that VMS has outlived the Vax and now runs on Alpha and Integrity platforms.  It was passed on as a company asset when Compaq bought DEC and then again when HP bought Compaq.  Not long after that final company purchase, I had to log a support call with HP.  As part of the usual info-gathering, the rep asked me what OS I was using.  I told him VMS.  Next question:  does that run on Unix?

Umm, NO!

• @jetcitywoman said:

Okay, don't laugh but I work on VMS.  Yes, VMS that ran on Vaxes in the 1980's from Digital Equipment.  Not many people know that VMS has outlived the Vax and now runs on Alpha and Integrity platforms.  It was passed on as a company asset when Compaq bought DEC and then again when HP bought Compaq.  Not long after that final company purchase, I had to log a support call with HP.  As part of the usual info-gathering, the rep asked me what OS I was using.  I told him VMS.  Next question:  does that run on Unix?

Umm, NO!

SpectateSwamp is looking for you...  Better hide. He might want to take you back to his shack...

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/141396.aspx

• I'm pretty sure I've seen that troll on slashdot before.

• This guy is probably a troll, but I think that a lot of people might have trouble grasping the "Windows is NOT my computer" idea.  Linux is pretty unheard of.  Apple limits OS X to Mac hardware so I think most people might jump to the conclusion that somehow the operating system is forever bound to the hardware, and that OS X and Windows are somehow embedded deep within the CPU or something.

• @jetcitywoman said:

Okay, don't laugh but I work on VMS.  Yes, VMS that ran on Vaxes in the 1980's from Digital Equipment.  Not many people know that VMS has outlived the Vax and now runs on Alpha and Integrity platforms.  It was passed on as a company asset when Compaq bought DEC and then again when HP bought Compaq.  Not long after that final company purchase, I had to log a support call with HP.  As part of the usual info-gathering, the rep asked me what OS I was using.  I told him VMS.  Next question:  does that run on Unix?

Umm, NO!

You called the wrong number. You want to call 800-633-3600 (the replacement for the storied 800-354-9000).

• Sorry, I think i had a stroke reading that... Snow causes vista to be good? YAY!

Linux can't run w/o windows underneath it sounds like a Bill O Reily momemt.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@seaturnip said:

Whats OS/2? 

• @dlikhten said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

@seaturnip said:

Whats OS/2? 

Exactly.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@dlikhten said:

@seaturnip said:

Whats OS/2? 

Exactly.

Wow man, you REALLY troll it up on this forum... O well. I would put money on the fact that linux can't run without windows is a quote comming straight out of your mouth. Weasel away all you want, you can't fool me!

• Wow(tm). I've seen a person who doesn't even know what a hard drive is have a better grasp of the concept of Linux.

Seems likely "jerry" is a troll - especially since he claims hippies on drugs are the only people who understand Linux. 

• @dlikhten said:

@dlikhten said:

@seaturnip said:

Whats OS/2? 

Exactly.

Wow man, you REALLY troll it up on this forum... O well. I would put money on the fact that linux can't run without windows is a quote comming straight out of your mouth. Weasel away all you want, you can't fool me!

Right...  Want to try again on that sentence?

• @dlikhten said:

Wherever there's a forum, trolls are not far behind.

• @Mal1024 said:

Wow(tm). I've seen a person who doesn't even know what a hard drive is have a better grasp of the concept of Linux.

Seems likely "jerry" is a troll - especially since he claims hippies on drugs are the only people who understand Linux. 

In all fairness, I'm a hippy on drugs, and I understand linux...maybe he's onto something here. I wonder if we'll ever get rid of spam/trolls on the internet, if only there was a way... 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.