Tech Support Reports?

• I'm not tech support, but I do a little work fixing friends'/familys' computers. I have now decided I should write a report on each computer I fix (just as a record, or for reminisce).

So I was wondering, how do tech support write their reports/what do they include in them?

• @BlueXero said:

So I was wondering, how do tech support write their reports/what do they include in them?

1. I came.
    2. I rebooted.
    3. I reinstalled.
    4. I left.

And occasionally there'll be a "I plugged it in" as #1.5.

• Who or what are you doing the records for? If you do it for friends, it's not like you have to report to a boss. And demanding money for a quick fix among friends? I don't know...

• @BlueXero said:

I'm not tech support, but I do a little work fixing friends'/familys' computers. I have now decided I should write a report on each computer I fix (just as a record, or for reminisce).

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to keep track of everybody's system so that if you need to refer back to it, maybe you can use an open source issue or bug tracking system. Takes a little effort to get going, and is prolly way overkill for your needs, but will give you a way to keep track of what problems you've had on who's computers. That way, if you need a certain driver on this guys machine, and a certain patch on this guys machine, then you can go back over your reports. Usually you would provide a description of behavior, steps to reproduce the problem, and tips or notes on how it can be resolved if any. If the problem was fixed, then you can note what you did to resolve the problem, etc.