Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

• Re: HAHAHA Combining emails saves time! Duh!

@SpectateSwamp said:

@tdittmar said:

Oh and by the way: Your signature should not be

Fighting ClueLessNess with Open Source

but

Fighting Open Source with ClueLessNess

This is a pretty heavy bug, which I expect to be corrected within an hour!

Right on. Those that fight Open Source are ClueLess

I have 10 to 20 thousand emails in my outmail.txt 709,000 lines

why oh why would I want them individually? All my email info is there, my inbox is clean only holding current unarchived email.

Some of you with 50,000 files. Good grief, no wonder you spend all day looking for filenames filenames filenames.

Merging makes filenames unimportant. It's the content you are always looking for. You don't go looking for a word file, thinking I'm going to re mail that to so and so. Doesn't happen. The formatting in word makes it pretty but reduces it's portability and sharability. DATA SHOULD BE SHARED

A half day at Spectate Swamp Shack and you'll see computing in a whole New (old) way.

No, any sane and rational person would just click the find button in their email client.... poof the emails all show right up.

If only we could get you a time travel machine so you could go join your ideas back in the early 80s.

• THE SUBJECT LINES KEEP FUCKING CHANGING!

@SpectateSwamp said:

Merging makes filenames unimportant.   It's the content you are always looking for.

Except that the filename is important.  You don't want to go throw away important things do you?  I wouldn't open up "financials_2007.doc" and expect to find a Pokemon fanfic, would I?  That's because I have good filenames.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You don't go looking for a word file, thinking I'm going to re mail that to so and so. Doesn't happen.

WRONG.  100% WRONG.  I do this regularly at work.  I email someone a form, ask them to fill it out and return it.  A month later, I need to send it to them again, to fill it out and return it.  Or I email something out, 4 months later, they need it, but have deleted off their old emails, so I send it to them again.  You could not be more wrong, SpectateBot.

• Re: Indeed it does!

@belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Merging makes filenames unimportant.   It's the content you are always looking for.

Except that the filename is important.  You don't want to go throw away important things do you?  I wouldn't open up "financials_2007.doc" and expect to find a Pokemon fanfic, would I?  That's because I have good filenames.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You don't go looking for a word file, thinking I'm going to re mail that to so and so. Doesn't happen.

WRONG.  100% WRONG.  I do this regularly at work.  I email someone a form, ask them to fill it out and return it.  A month later, I need to send it to them again, to fill it out and return it.  Or I email something out, 4 months later, they need it, but have deleted off their old emails, so I send it to them again.  You could not be more wrong, SpectateBot.

Geez, cut him some slack! Don't you know it is impossible to iterate through all the files in a directory??

Obviously the only way to search multiple files is to combine them all into text files... Nevermind that any program like notepad has a find function that can search, AND even edit at the same time!

Obviously you should use the crappy desktopsearch he uses. It may not startup the first time. It may have a horrible, command based UI. It may require you to find the search term, and then reopen the file in an editor later, searching with the editor's find function....

But whats your point? You like everything to be 10 times more complicated than it needs to be... don't you?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

OH NO THEY DON'T!

@belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    What's that got to do with it? It's not important to Swampy. If it's not important to Swampy then it doesn't matter. What may be of use to the users[1] is of no relevance.

@SpectateSwamp said:
    I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

[1] I, of course, imply there will be more than zero of these. I am, of course, incorrect. 

• Mine is mine. yours isn't yours

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

No, any sane and rational person would just click the find button in their email client.... poof the emails all show right up.

If only we could get you a time travel machine so you could go join your ideas back in the early 80s.

My email moves with me. Like the wind on a DVD. Some email client has your email. Mine is mine. yours isn't yours

• @SpectateSwamp said:

My email moves with me. Like the wind on a DVD. Some email client has your email. Mine is mine. yours isn't yours

Uh no. Apparently you don't know anything about email or email clients.

I can move all my mail from computer to computer with one file. 

Sorry. You lose.

EDIT: And actually, that make my data 100% more portable and 'secure' in your definition. Since you have two files to move, and I have one. HMMM.

• Paradox solved!

What happens when an Irresistible force (the rest of the world) meets an immovable object (SpectateSwamp)? 

This thread of course!  The physics community will be excited when they hear about this!

• @morgano said:

What happens when an Irresistible force (the rest of the world) meets an immovable object (SpectateSwamp)? 

This thread of course!  The physics community will be excited when they hear about this!

Is this like matter and anti-matter?

*opens umbrella

• Don't NEED no email clients

Sorry. You lose.

EDIT: And actually, that make my data 100% more portable and 'secure' in your definition. Since you have two files to move, and I have one. HMMM.

We don't need to know about email clients

We don't need to know about database or sql or other computer hacks. We got Spectate Swamp 

We are busy doing real stuff. Video, being outdoors. Simplified computing frees you up for other activities. You do know activities don't you.

• ♿ (Parody)

@SpectateSwamp said:

Some of you with 50,000 files. Good grief, no wonder you spend all day looking for filenames filenames filenames.

Merging makes filenames unimportant. It's the content you are always looking for. You don't go looking for a word file, thinking I'm going to re mail that to so and so. Doesn't happen. The formatting in word makes it pretty but reduces it's portability and sharability. DATA SHOULD BE SHARED

It's true.  I've done this with source code, and now my makefiles are so much simpler! And I don't have to worry about silly stuff like where my includes are, because guess what?  They're all in the same file!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Sorry. You lose.

We don't need to know about database or sql or other computer hacks. We got Spectate Swamp 

We are busy doing real stuff. Video, being outdoors. Simplified computing frees you up for other activities. You do know activities don't you.

We? You and the voices in your head?

I dont need to know about email clients either. It starts up when my computer starts up. Email pops up on the screen when someone sends it. If I need to find an old email, I type it in the box at the top of the screen. Poof! I am reading it.

Are you really arguing that me sitting here combining all my emails into a huge text file and then using that monstrosity (with dozens of meaningless commands) will save me time?

Are you also arguing that your desktop search now replaces email clients? I didn't see anything in the code for POP3 or SMTP!

• Don't NEED to Know Mode

I dont need to know about email clients either. It starts up when my computer starts up. Email pops up on the screen when someone sends it. If I need to find an old email, I type it in the box at the top of the screen. Poof! I am reading it.

Are you really arguing that me sitting here combining all my emails into a huge text file and then using that monstrosity (with dozens of meaningless commands) will save me time?

Are you also arguing that your desktop search now replaces email clients? I didn't see anything in the code for POP3 or SMTP!

Hold it hold it. You are losing me SMTP POP3 I'm in the Don't NEED to Know Mode. But there are a couple things I'd like to Know.

How hard is it with your email clients and all to export all your email (textual info only) to text. Probably not that hard at all. Search that. Or are you just part of the RESISTANCE

meaningless commands. You bet. I was going to fix that part up some day. But that meant changing templates, data defaults etc. I like videoing more that fixing code that is just fine as it it. A nice skin would cover up all those blemishes this hidden beauty has.

• SpectateSwamp doen't NEED to know about computers, because he is an idiot!

@SpectateSwamp said:

Hold it hold it. You are losing me SMTP POP3 I'm in the Don't NEED to Know Mode. But there are a couple things I'd like to Know.

Here's the problem, you DO need to know. You are claiming your program will simplify my life, and rid me of email clients. But it won't your program cannot retrieve or send email. Why would I use your program to search email when I have a mail client that does ALL of those things, in a much better way than your program?

@SpectateSwamp said:

How hard is it with your email clients and all to export all your email (textual info only) to text. Probably not that hard at all. Search that. Or are you just part of the RESISTANCE

The point is not whether it is difficult or not. The point is exporting to text, when the mail client does more than your program could ever hope to do would be stupid.

@SpectateSwamp said:

meaningless commands. You bet. I was going to fix that part up some day. But that meant changing templates, data defaults etc. I like videoing more that fixing code that is just fine as it it. A nice skin would cover up all those blemishes this hidden beauty has.

You are an idiot. Your program cannot be 'skinned'. You clearly don't understand the concept.

• Your signature lies!

@SpectateSwamp said:

@tdittmar said:

but

I am not the one fighting the Open Source idea here!! How can you so NOT understand what people are saying? YOU are the one fighting Open Source by actually thinking about releasing that piece of junk to the public!

@SpectateSwamp said:

If it was a beauty, there would not be meaningless commands that would have to be cleaned up... But anyway. I wonder what you'll come up with next. I really like the idea of having all DLLs in one text file - now that is one way out of DLL hell isn't it?

One question before I go back to something useful: If you want to reply to some old email message - how do you do that with your text file? How to you extract attachments? Or maybe you are storing your attachments as *ding* separate files?

If you keep refusing seeing a doctor, we will have to - that's for sure...

• @SpectateSwamp said:

A half day at Spectate Swamp Shack and you'll see computing in a whole New (old) way.

... and walking funny, too. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

How hard is it to use your mail client's built-in search (Gmail and Apple Mail for me)?  Probably a heck of a lot easier... and the results are better.

What do you say to that? 

• You know how after a while, 'LOL' and its cousins become almost automatic, 
    and you're not actually laughing out loud IRL ? I really and truly did splurt coffee here...

@SpectateSwamp said:

Hold it hold it. You are losing me SMTP POP3 I'm in the Don't NEED to Know Mode.

Ladies and Gentlemen - I think we have our answer. MPS - if you really want to keep feeding him, try throwing more acronyms his way - you never know, in looking them up, he may get on the clue train.

• Desktop Search for the Masses

Here at Spectate Swamp Shack I have demoed the Desktop Search to non-computer users. Explaining what was going on in the background and how I managed to do certain things. How poorly I named some of the commands and why screen saver mode is "ww" instead of "ss" etc etc. They could see the simplicity of it all and weren't terrified. Can you do that with any of your so called replacements for Spectate Swamp search. I doubt it. When they can understand what is going on. They will find ways to make use of it. There are millions of people out there with video phones needing a simple way to make use and have fun with video. This is the WAY

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Here at Spectate Swamp Shack I have demoed the Desktop Search to non-computer users. Explaining what was going on in the background and how I managed to do certain things. How poorly I named some of the commands and why screen saver mode is "ww" instead of "ss" etc etc. They could see the simplicity of it all and weren't terrified. Can you do that with any of your so called replacements for Spectate Swamp search. I doubt it. When they can understand what is going on. They will find ways to make use of it. There are millions of people out there with video phones needing a simple way to make use and have fun with video. This is the WAY

I definitely doubt that you have ever demoed this to ANYONE who was ever happy with it, and started using it.

Anyone you had over your 'shack' was probably just happy to leave without you wearing their face under the moonlight.

And what are you asking? Can we display pictures as a screensaver? Yes. 

• @Benn said:

You know how after a while, 'LOL' and its cousins become almost automatic, 
    and you're not actually laughing out loud IRL ? I really and truly did splurt coffee here...

@SpectateSwamp said:

Hold it hold it. You are losing me SMTP POP3 I'm in the Don't NEED to Know Mode.

Ladies and Gentlemen - I think we have our answer. MPS - if you really want to keep feeding him, try throwing more acronyms his way - you never know, in looking them up, he may get on the clue train.

Do you actually think the retard is looking anything up?

He has actually convinced himself that no one needs POP3 or SMTP clients. Heck, he has made posts we don't even need an OS!

Because we all know how platform independent VB6 is!  Especially considering all the hardcoded absolute paths in his code!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Serious question here: have you ever seen OS X's Spotlight search?  It's a full-system indexed search.  It searches all of your text files, PDFs, Doc, and even recent web pages you've visited.  It launches applications, defines words, and does mathematical calculations.  Now, based on your implementation of search you'd probably expect the user interface for this to be ridiculously complicated... but, guess what?

[img]http://djork.net/images/spotlight.png[/img]

That's it.

There are no "commands" or anything like that.  Just some food for thought regarding user interface.

I know, I'm talking to a brick wall here...

• QUIT CHANGING THE SUBJECT

@SpectateSwamp said:

So rather than use a program that has been developed by non-creepy non-crazy guys, you'll develop your own then come to a forum to spread it.  Nice.

@SpectateSwamp said:

SQL is a hack now.  You heard it here first on TDWTF.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You're the one spending all day on forum boards spreading your seed of bad programs.  You know activities, don't you? 

EDIT:  oh shit I forgot to feed the troll!

• The masses need you

@djork said:

Serious question here: have you ever seen OS X's Spotlight search?  It's a full-system indexed search.  It searches all of your text files, PDFs, Doc, and even recent web pages you've visited.  It launches applications, defines words, and does mathematical calculations.  Now, based on your implementation of search you'd probably expect the user interface for this to be ridiculously complicated... but, guess what?

[img]http://djork.net/images/spotlight.png[/img]

That's it.

There are no "commands" or anything like that.  Just some food for thought regarding user interface.

I know, I'm talking to a brick wall here...

I found quite abit about Mac desktop search. It needs some competition and a good search to autit it's results. Everybody needs a good audit.

I don't like indexers running. I would have to turn it off all the time. This search I just start it up and it's ready to go and do my bidding. Video, music, pics

I'll be visiting some Mac and Linux sites to try and encourage them to take on the challenge. The masses need you.

• @belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

So rather than use a program that has been developed by non-creepy non-crazy guys, you'll develop your own then come to a forum to spread it.  Nice.

@SpectateSwamp said:

SQL is a hack now.  You heard it here first on TDWTF.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You're the one spending all day on forum boards spreading your seed of bad programs.  You know activities, don't you? 

EDIT:  oh shit I forgot to feed the troll!

I know *I* wish I had more time to take video with my camera of my computer screen and post it on google video!

Don't forget when he talks about outdoors, he is likely talking about beastiality and wearing people's faces under the moonlight

That stuff takes time man!

• Politicians, Privacy, Desktop Search and YOU

SpectateSwamp, presumably Desktop Search could help Politicians search not only their data but yours as well?  This could make government many times more efficient!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@tdittmar said:

but

And what, pray tell, open source products do you use and/or contribute to (besides Desktop command line screen saver).  I bet you even use IE.

• I download unixutils, put it on my path, and get spoiled with find and grep. I don't know maybe its just me but sometimes when doing something complex I like command line.

Wy re-invent the wheel when you can just use unix utils :)

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It needs some competition and a good search to autit it's results. Everybody needs a good audit.

I don't like indexers running. I would have to turn it off all the time. This search I just start it up and it's ready to go and do my bidding. Video, music, pics

I'll be visiting some Mac and Linux sites to try and encourage them to take on the challenge. The masses need you.

1) What kind of audit would you need other than it returning great results moments after the content appears on your system?  I can create a file anywhere on the system and find it moments later with Spotlight.  I don't see any need to "audit" anything there.

2) The indexer runs quietly in the background.  Observing the indexer process shows that is uses about 0.00% - 0.02% of my CPU (an aging 4-year-old 1GHz G4) when idle, and about 1% for a moment when saving a file.  On a newer machine it's hardly noticeable.  Granted, it does churn for a while on a brand new system, but really, after that you never even notice.

3) How are Mac/Linux/*NIX users supposed to use your VB code that calls into Windows APIs?

• @belgariontheking said:

And what, pray tell, open source products do you use and/or contribute to (besides Desktop command line screen saver).  I bet you even use IE.

Don't be silly.  Clearly he is spearheading the groundbreaking Open Source Legacy-VB6-On-Vista movement!

• @djork said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

It needs some competition and a good search to autit it's results. Everybody needs a good audit.

1) What kind of audit would you need other than it returning great results moments after the content appears on your system?  I can create a file anywhere on the system and find it moments later with Spotlight.  I don't see any need to "audit" anything there.

2) The indexer runs quietly in the background.  Observing the indexer process shows that is uses about 0.00% - 0.02% of my CPU (an aging 4-year-old 1GHz G4) when idle, and about 1% for a moment when saving a file.  On a newer machine it's hardly noticeable.  Granted, it does churn for a while on a brand new system, but really, after that you never even notice.

3) How are Mac/Linux/*NIX users supposed to use your VB code that calls into Windows APIs?

I don't know, but that is going to be hilarious!

Spectate, when you decide to 'clue in' the linux and mac users in, please post the link for us. This will be GREAT comedic material.

You have chosen to use VB6, and think it it cross platform capable?

Do you ever actually research anything? Or do you just assume reality will bend to whatever assumption you make?

• @djork said:

@belgariontheking said:

Don't be silly.  Clearly he is spearheading the groundbreaking Open Source Legacy-VB6-On-Vista movement!

Nope. Not Vista. Mac and linux! FTW!

• I am actually trying this thing

Wow.  I've actually run this monster now (on a virtual machine of course).

It is basically grep wrapped in a fluffy nougat layer of insanity, dipped in the chocolate of madness.  I'll post some video of it in action in a while.

Unfortunately, I do not have a camcorder handy to video it in, so I will just have to use a meager screen capture utility...

• @djork said:

It is basically grep wrapped in a fluffy nougat layer of insanity, dipped in the chocolate of madness.  I'll post some video of it in action in a while.

Unfortunately, I do not have a camcorder handy to video it in, so I will just have to use a meager screen capture utility...

Please don't do grep the injustice of making a comparison.... 

You could always take pictures (not digital  of course!), scan them in, and make them into a flipbook.

Or you could recreate the video in ASCII art, and then we could all search it with RetardSearch.

Oh and you realize he just creamed himself when you said you actually ran that piece of crap right?

• I wonder how long it would take to write a search that's faster than his.   I wouldn't think it would take longer than a couple minutes in Perl... 

Quick question:

Does DesktopSearch support searching with regular expressions? 

• @tster said:

I wonder how long it would take to write a search that's faster than his.   I wouldn't think it would take longer than a couple minutes in Perl... 

Quick question:

No. It is no more advanced than notepad's find function. And I cannot even say it is THAT good.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@tster said:

I wonder how long it would take to write a search that's faster than his.   I wouldn't think it would take longer than a couple minutes in Perl... 

Quick question:

No. It is no more advanced than notepad's find function. And I cannot even say it is THAT good.

<rant>

Just 1 question, seeing as how GREP is under GNU could spotlight at least have just taken GREP from UNIX UTILS (windows binaries) and just incorporated it inside it's run time. It would only have to mention that it uses the GNU grep. HENCE OPEN SOURCE. My god people seem to LOVE re-inventing wheel, and putting pattens on them. Sigh 

</rant>

• @dlikhten said:

@tster said:

Quick question:

<rant>

Just 1 question, seeing as how GREP is under GNU could spotlight at least have just taken GREP from UNIX UTILS (windows binaries) and just incorporated it inside it's run time. It would only have to mention that it uses the GNU grep. HENCE OPEN SOURCE. My god people seem to LOVE re-inventing wheel, and putting pattens on them. Sigh 

</rant>

I knew it! You ARE SpectateSwamp!

• @djork said:

Unfortunately, I do not have a camcorder handy to video it in, so I will just have to use a meager screen capture utility..

You actually got it to work?  It would never work for me - always errored out and locked the task.  Would love to see some actual video of this thing in action.

• @morgano said:

@djork said:

Unfortunately, I do not have a camcorder handy to video it in, so I will just have to use a meager screen capture utility..

You actually got it to work?  It would never work for me - always errored out and locked the task.  Would love to see some actual video of this thing in action.

Well, it did get stuck in some kind of nasty spin once, but yeah it worked as advertised. 

• @djork said:

@morgano said:
    @djork said:

Well, it did get stuck in some kind of nasty spin once, but yeah it worked as advertised. 

Were you able to get rid of your OS? And are you infinitely better organized now?

• 2 braver souls I never knew

@djork said:
    @morgano said:
    @djork said:

Were you able to get rid of your OS? And are you infinitely better organized now?

My favorites list is just getting longer and longer. Dump some huge amount of text and check it out. GF on your jpgs or mpgs or mp3 stuff Now they can't touch you. You are in control of your DATA.

That other forum is about to lock the thread. I think I'll leave them alone for a while. The learning continues here.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@djork said:
    @morgano said:
    @djork said:

My favorites list is just getting longer and longer. Dump some huge amount of text and check it out. GF on your jpgs or mpgs or mp3 stuff Now they can't touch you. You are in control of your DATA.

That other forum is about to lock the thread. I think I'll leave them alone for a while. The learning continues here.

Seeing as how you don't seem to be learning anything, and there is nothing you can teach us, what learning are you suggesting is going on?

• I think I've found Spectates brother

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dlikhten said:

I download unixutils, put it on my path, and get spoiled with find and grep. I don't know maybe its just me but sometimes when doing something complex I like command line.

Wy re-invent the wheel when you can just use unix utils :)

Troll fodder?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I found quite abit about Mac desktop search. It needs some competition and a good search to autit it's results. Everybody needs a good audit.

Wow. Suddenly it all makes sense.

SpectateSwamp is a Scientologist.

• Bad Code - Bad Grammer - Great Program

Just think. Next somebody will actually be improving OUR Desktop Search Engine. Cleaning up the code. Adding more functions. Explaining the bad parts.

A handful have seen the light. They are testing it out. One NOTE when doing random. Make sure you turn it off when finished. It gets a little confusing with text. Ie "rand" "norand" at prompt #2.

It's not just me working on the code anymore. There are some Swampies out there lots and lots of them.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Bought Kaczynski's old place, did you?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Just think. Next somebody will actually be improving OUR Desktop Search Engine. Cleaning up the code. Adding more functions. Explaining the bad parts.

A handful have seen the light. They are testing it out. One NOTE when doing random. Make sure you turn it off when finished. It gets a little confusing with text. Ie "rand" "norand" at prompt #2.

It's not just me working on the code anymore. There are some Swampies out there lots and lots of them.

Dude, come on, no one wants to touch that steaming pile of "code". The only Swampies out there are in your head. I will help you improve your code for the sake of the FOSS movement. Start by opening code.txt in notepad, press Ctrl-A and then backspace. Next, be sure to click save, and upload it to your ftp. While you're at it maybe you could trying running fdisk on your C drive, it should help defrag and speed up your Swampy(read as shitty) search. 

Also, my fav comment in the code is this one:

'pause a bit and do a couple of beeps just to bug them

System.out.println("SpectateSwamp is brilliant!"); 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Who, pray tell, is working on this code?  Who are these "Swampies" that are swarming all over "OUR Desktop Search Engine?" 

Who wants to sign up to work on code like this?  Raise your hand, please!

line_14505:
    II = InStr(III, SSS1, " ")
    If II = 0 Or II = Len(SSS1) Then GoTo line_14510
    s1_imbed = Left(SSS1, II - 1) + "x" + Mid(SSS1, II + 1)
    III = II + 1
    GoTo line_14505
    line_14510:
    If Len(SSS2) < 2 Then GoTo line_14520
    III = 2
    line_14515:
    II = InStr(III, SSS2, " ")
    If II = 0 Or II = Len(SSS2) Then GoTo line_14520
    s2_imbed = Left(SSS2, II - 1) + "x" + Mid(SSS2, II + 1)
    III = II + 1
    GoTo line_14515

• I feel like I'm missing half the conversation because I haven't read all the subject lines.

@SpectateSwamp said:

My favorites list is just getting longer and longer. Dump some huge amount of text and check it out.

Reminds me of that terminal screenshot with the option "Close and take a dump"

@SpectateSwamp said:

GF on your jpgs or mpgs or mp3 stuff Now they can't touch you. You are in control of your DATA.

Why am I concerned with my files touching me?  Maybe I want them to touch me. 

Do you ever think about things before you type?

Remember these things always.  

#1) Respect the sanity of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great failure comes great responsibility to make your program better.
    Most of you should know where I got the list.