Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

• I have been building this Desktop Search since 1999.

The visual basic code is Open Source and the exe is
    downloadable.

I have been blogging and yapping about search in various
    forums. Only to meet with Great resistance.

When I can organize my video, music, pictures and text
    there isn't another program that I really need. With
    Open Source and this Desktop Search the Operating System
    becomes irrelevant.

It started as a text search, then picture display was added
    when we scanned in 5000+ old family album pictures.

When a search match was found and the next line, had the path
    to a picture. That picture was displayed. It runs manual and
    as a screen saver. After a few seconds the caption on the picture
    can be displayed or not.

Then came VIDEO. With slow motion, Freeze frame with Preset or
    Random start points in the video (mpeg2). Similar options were
    added for music files (mp3)

Video is by far the most exciting part of Search. I can video
    in a book and go directly to a given page and play that back
    in slow motion. I can video in forum screens.

It has other important features any Search should have.
    Ie EXTRACT. I do a context search for a particular "Subject:"
    in my outmail file to build a mailing list from old emails. Then
    I search that file in matching lines only mode; searching for "To:"
    and I have all the email addresses in an output file. A little editing
    removing duplicates etc and I have a clean list. I duplicate that
    info with a cut and paste. resort it. The plug the required info
    for my search in front of line 1 and 2 rather quickly.

If the Next line is a URL or strictly text, that data can be put in
    the clipboard for pasting into a browser or as a search string or for
    storing passwords.

It can run background copies of itself and has some primitive
    navigation capabilities. That could make for a wonderful video
    training tool.

It has no database and can easily be explained to the common man.
    All they need to know about computing is, how to use this program.
    (Very Simple, I'll do more training video.)

Thanks

Doug AKA Spectate Swamp

See the cluelessness manifested at:

-30-

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I have been building this Desktop Search since 1999.

The visual basic code is Open Source and the exe is
    downloadable.

I have been blogging and yapping about search in various
    forums. Only to meet with Great resistance.

Because what you are saying is rambling incomprehensible garbage. Whether what you are DOING is any good is irrelevant. In any case, 2008 != 1999, and there are now many "Desktop Search" apps.

• This guy has done this crap before, he is just a troll. Let it go.

The 'cluelessness' he speaks of on Channel 9 is everyone telling each other he is a troll and to let him go away.

Edit: See this post for a description of some examples of why this guy is a troll, and how big a WTF it is for him to advertise this crap:

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/124443.aspx

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I thought I understood English, I've lived all my life in the country that invented it, yet that paragraph makes absolutely no sense to me. Is there some new definition of "video" that I'm unaware of?

• @mallard said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I thought I understood English, I've lived all my life in the country that invented it, yet that paragraph makes absolutely no sense to me. Is there some new definition of "video" that I'm unaware of?

Maybe he means that software can remember your search history and then you can replay it?  shrug

• Unfortunately I think he is talking about literally videoing a book. Pointing a camera at a book and turning the pages. One way to get the information in your library into your computer I guess.

• @stinch said:

Unfortunately I think he is talking about literally videoing a book. Pointing a camera at a book and turning the pages. One way to get the information in your library into your computer I guess.
    You know, that is actually a REALLY GOOD IDEA. If you were able to take high enough resolution video to be able to OCR the text, it would be substantially quicker than using a scanner. Given digitisation of books is being done by a number of libraries now, I reckon there's some money in it. Then all you need is an automatic page-turner, and you can get the text of the book effortlessly!

• You know, that is actually a REALLY GOOD IDEA. If you were able to take high enough resolution video to be able to OCR the text, it would be substantially quicker than using a scanner. Given digitisation of books is being done by a number of libraries now, I reckon there's some money in it. Then all you need is an automatic page-turner, and you can get the text of the book effortlessly!

The folks over at Onomy Labs in Menlo Park, CA., have created something similar.  It's a computer that can read out loud the pages of a book placed in front of it, called the "Reeding Eye Dog"

http://www.onomy.com/presskit/images/reading-eye-dog.jpg

... add a page turner and we're there! 

• Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

@stinch said:

Unfortunately I think he is talking about literally videoing a book. Pointing a camera at a book and turning the pages. One way to get the information in your library into your computer I guess.

try videoing in Grandma's hand written recipe book.

If I had it to do again. I'd video in the oldie pictures we had.

Getting close in and describe who and what about the pictures. Way more fun than just a scan.

ANSWER My Question 

• @stinch said:

Wooden table v2.0! Now with moving images.

• @El_Heffe said:

HAHAHA AWESOME!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@SpectateSwamp said:

ANSWER My Question 

Ok. They aren't.

Next question?

• @stinch said:

He's clueless wrt video, too.  In this forum post at videohelp.com, he expresses the opinion that video doesn't need to be edited.

• @emurphy said:

@stinch said:

He's clueless wrt video, too.  In this forum post at videohelp.com, he expresses the opinion that video doesn't need to be edited.

I was always convinced trolling is a disease. I am pretty sure he is patient zero.

...Lets hope it is terminal.

• @mallard said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I don't know, but it's a lot funnier if you replace "video" with "crap." 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Useless unless you include the obligatory wooden table and then screen-capture each frame of the video.

@SpectateSwamp said:

It has no database

So you're saying your World Class app will have to do a complete scan of the data set for every search, every time? Must be nice to have the patience of Job, because my 2.3 terabytes of drive space here at home would take a while to search. 

@SpectateSwamp said:

and can easily be explained to the common man.

Then go explain it to the common men. They don't hang out on this forum. Most of us here are rather uncommon. 

• @mallard said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Basically this twerp is saying you should stick a camcorder in front of a book and film each page for a few seconds. That way you'll have a nice long movie of each page of the book, which you can then freeze-frame through to reach the book later. Same for forum posts. Camcorder himself scrolling through the replies to his post and "search" them later.

In other words, this will become the Web 2.0 version of watching paint dry and grass grow.

• @MarcB said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Useless unless you include the obligatory wooden table and then screen-capture each frame of the video.

@SpectateSwamp said:

It has no database

So you're saying your World Class app will have to do a complete scan of the data set for every search, every time? Must be nice to have the patience of Job, because my 2.3 terabytes of drive space here at home would take a while to search. 

@SpectateSwamp said:

and can easily be explained to the common man.

Then go explain it to the common men. They don't hang out on this forum. Most of us here are rather uncommon. 

Have you missed the history of trolling here? This guy is looking for this kind of reaction.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Have you missed the history of trolling here? This guy is looking for this kind of reaction.

I'm unconvinced.  Even when he titled a post "Trolling for Desktop Search enthusiasts", I got the impression that he wasn't using the word in the canonical (for the net) malicious sense.  It doesn't help matters that most of his channel9 respondents seem to be flaming about the general concept of desktop search, rather than addressing how terrible his code is (he's more or less admitted this on at least a couple of occasions) and how unlikely it is that anyone would want to fix its huge problems (he has yet to address this AFAIK).

His weird-ass opinions on video recordings seem to parallel this.  Point of comparison:  I've developed an amateur photography habit since getting a camera phone about a year ago, and it all ends up getting posted to one of my web pages (originally for family pictures) sans tags.  However, I don't pretend that the first part is anything but personal amusement, nor that the second part is anything but laziness.  If I were this guy, I would think that (a) everybody would want to be the same way if only it were suggested to them, (b) it was my mission in life to suggest it to them, and (c) lack of positive response was the fault of a vocal minority of meanies.

• @emurphy said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

I'm unconvinced.  Even when he titled a post "Trolling for Desktop Search enthusiasts", I got the impression that he wasn't using the word in the canonical (for the net) malicious sense.  It doesn't help matters that most of his channel9 respondents seem to be flaming about the general concept of desktop search, rather than addressing how terrible his code is (he's more or less admitted this on at least a couple of occasions) and how unlikely it is that anyone would want to fix its huge problems (he has yet to address this AFAIK).

His weird-ass opinions on video recordings seem to parallel this.  Point of comparison:  I've developed an amateur photography habit since getting a camera phone about a year ago, and it all ends up getting posted to one of my web pages (originally for family pictures) sans tags.  However, I don't pretend that the first part is anything but personal amusement, nor that the second part is anything but laziness.  If I were this guy, I would think that (a) everybody would want to be the same way if only it were suggested to them, (b) it was my mission in life to suggest it to them, and (c) lack of positive response was the fault of a vocal minority of meanies.

What else would it take for you to be convinced?

It is obvious in all of his reply posts here, and on the video forum, and on all the other forums he is trolling he is looking for a reaction. He keeps getting more and more ridiculous, and keeps asking why no one is getting angry.

• @emurphy said:

If you really don't believe this moron is a troll, read this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/483185

Posting trapping videos on a nature photography forum?

People get mad so he links to hunting sites?

What is YOUR definition of a troll?

• Haven't you ever seen Real Genius? We've had automatic page turners for years :)

If you really don't believe this moron is a troll, read this thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/483185

Posting trapping videos on a nature photography forum?

People get mad so he links to hunting sites?

What is YOUR definition of a troll?

I am not a doctor, and don't play one on TV, but I think he's crossed the boundary between trolling and illness.

• Please stop posting such narrow
    blocks of text!  You don't need to
    hit enter, just keep typing and let
    the web browser wrap the text
    automatically!

That will save us all from your
    annoyingly and unnecessarily tall
    posts.

You do this on every forum you
    post on and it smacks of
    "grandpa just learn how to work
    the computer machine!" If you do
    this in your word documents too
    then don't ever consider becoming
    a writer or your editor will kill you.

Lastly, this isn't a letter, you
    shouldn't finish it with a signature.
    If you really want to, use a sig
    instead of posting it directly in your
    message and cluttering up
    forum search results.

Thanks

Ian AKA Soviut

• @emurphy said:

My most recent unedited video work is 160 X 2 minute video clips on the local Nuclear power plant discussion. Nobody wanted

any of it edited out or in any way altered. Altering nature is pure wrong to. That's why my wildlife and nature is all natural no faking

no editing. Just the way it is. Lots of complaining about unimportant stuff at the video forums (just like here) Too jiggly, Blurry,

stupid comments by cameraman...  The fact is; the more you shoot the more GOOD video you get. 

• Being an old school BASIC programmer (began in 1978) and a dabbler in VBA (yah, yah, I hear the laughing now!) and a few others, I decided to have a look at this thing for myself.

After much desperate searching I finally found the executable code (http://www.topshareware.com/Spectate-Swamp-Search-download-42932.htm)  and tried it on my computer. 

Ok, onto the test.  Double click search.exe.   Hmmm... just a screen with a list of file names and a prompt form.  Go back to the usage instructions (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict_info.htm) and see what to do.  "Type in file name"... WTF, no file selection option?  Feels a lot like DOS.  Ok, typed in a text file name,  Choose 'C' for context search, and then entered a search word.  Hmmm... nothing happened... Lets see...  "Resume without Error" in title bar - odd...Wait, the program has locked up!  CTRL-ALT-DEL and end process.  I tried test this several times with similar results.  Even with my limited knowledge of programming, I could build a better user interface than this thing has. 

I am not really sure what his intent is.  Does he want notoriety?   Does he want to help the world?  Does he not want to waste 10 year of work that is about 15 years behind the time?  What is your vote?

• @MarcB said:

You must have a lot of video Marc to get 2.3 Terabytes No problem to catalog video with this app.

If the 2.3 is text then you are BS'n A lifetimes reading fits on a DVD 4.7GB For personal use; why oh why keep stuff you have never read and would never have time to get to. Leave that stuff on the net. It makes your real info so much harder to find. You poor bugger. How do you find anything. You need this Search.

Common man == Common Sense

• Get ahead of the curve by a couple turns with Digital Video and Desktop Search.

@m0ffx said:

You know, that is actually a REALLY GOOD IDEA. If you were able to take high enough resolution video to be able to OCR the text, it would be substantially quicker than using a scanner. Given digitisation of books is being done by a number of libraries now, I reckon there's some money in it. Then all you need is an automatic page-turner, and you can get the text of the book effortlessly!

For the home computer user who might occasionally scan in a book, there would be no need for a page turner.

Video changes everything.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

My most recent unedited video work is 160 X 2 minute video clips on the local Nuclear power plant discussion. Nobody wanted

any of it edited out or in any way altered. ...  Lots of complaining about unimportant stuff at the video forums (just like here) Too jiggly, Blurry,

stupid comments by cameraman...  The fact is; the more you shoot the more GOOD video you get. 

You're absolutely right. If you have a million monkeys with a million video-cameras, eventually one of them will produce an award-winning documentary.

• Thanks for trying it. Do you want a copy of the source?

@morgano said:

Being an old school BASIC programmer (began in 1978) and a dabbler in VBA (yah, yah, I hear the laughing now!) and a few others, I decided to have a look at this thing for myself.

After much desperate searching I finally found the executable code (http://www.topshareware.com/Spectate-Swamp-Search-download-42932.htm)  and tried it on my computer. 

Ok, onto the test.  Double click search.exe.   Hmmm... just a screen with a list of file names and a prompt form.  Go back to the usage instructions (http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/pict_info.htm) and see what to do.  "Type in file name"... WTF, no file selection option?  Feels a lot like DOS.  Ok, typed in a text file name,  Choose 'C' for context search, and then entered a search word.  Hmmm... nothing happened... Lets see...  "Resume without Error" in title bar - odd...Wait, the program has locked up!  CTRL-ALT-DEL and end process.  I tried test this several times with similar results.  Even with my limited knowledge of programming, I could build a better user interface than this thing has. 

I am not really sure what his intent is.  Does he want notoriety?   Does he want to help the world?  Does he not want to waste 10 year of work that is about 15 years behind the time?  What is your vote?

Minor start up problems. Sorry about that. I always put the exe in it's own folder. It creates a few control files at startup.

The first run needs to be closed out. Somehow I'm not closing something somewhere. Being lazy I just start it again.

Initially the #1 is for the text file you want to search. Unless you have a file you want to search at this point then just

ignore the #1 prompt and go to the #2 prompt. Here you can build catalogs of files, merge text files, do a directory, prompt for HELP etc etc.

prompt #3 is for the search strings

Oh Yeah the Ctrl/Alt/Del is a handy option now and again. I have yet to lose any data using the program

• @Paddles said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

any of it edited out or in any way altered. ...  Lots of complaining about unimportant stuff at the video forums (just like here) Too jiggly, Blurry,

You're absolutely right. If you have a million monkeys with a million video-cameras, eventually one of them will produce an award-winning documentary.

That has been done. http://www.climatecrisis.net/

[Disclamier: ...Sorry I really have nothing against him or his cause. But hey, anything for a joke. Michael Moore could be substituted here.]

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@morgano said:

Being an old school BASIC programmer (began in 1978) and a dabbler in VBA (yah, yah, I hear the laughing now!) and a few others, I decided to have a look at this thing for myself.

Minor start up problems. Sorry about that. I always put the exe in it's own folder. It creates a few control files at startup.

The first run needs to be closed out. Somehow I'm not closing something somewhere. Being lazy I just start it again.

Initially the #1 is for the text file you want to search. Unless you have a file you want to search at this point then just

ignore the #1 prompt and go to the #2 prompt. Here you can build catalogs of files, merge text files, do a directory, prompt for HELP etc etc.

prompt #3 is for the search strings

Oh Yeah the Ctrl/Alt/Del is a handy option now and again. I have yet to lose any data using the program

are those instructions for the common man?

BTW:   you don't need "page turners" to scan (or photograph) in the pages of a book.  What they do is they cut off the binding of a copy of the book and then they just a have a big stack of papers that is easy to scan in.  If they can't afford to destroy the book then they pay people in china to turn the pages.   Much cheaper than buying an expensive machine that is careful not to tear pages in a precious book. 

• Reason #? I'm a Guru and don't use or need Desktop Search

@tster said:

[are those instructions for the common man?

BTW:   you don't need "page turners" to scan (or photograph) in the pages of a book.  What they do is they cut off the binding of a copy of the book and then they just a have a big stack of papers that is easy to scan in.  If they can't afford to destroy the book then they pay people in china to turn the pages.   Much cheaper than buying an expensive machine that is careful not to tear pages in a precious book. 

A video would do much better. Learn a few of the basics and they will be as computer and video savy as they will ever need to be.

• Oh come on, guys. This is obviously a megahal you're talking to. The almost-but-not-quite comprehensible English should have clued you in from the start. If I had to guess, I'd say it's been seeded with the forums from joelonsoftware.

• Just lock this thread like all his others. It is what he is looking for anyway.

I agree though, if you read his posts on other forums, many of his replies are verbatim matches.

Consider it spam. Lock it.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

You must have a lot of video Marc to get 2.3 Terabytes No problem to catalog video with this app.

If the 2.3 is text then you are BS'n A lifetimes reading fits on a DVD 4.7GB For personal use; why oh why keep stuff you have never read and would never have time to get to. Leave that stuff on the net. It makes your real info so much harder to find. You poor bugger. How do you find anything. You need this Search.

Common man == Common Sense

Who said anything about it all being video? Sure, there's a big chunk taken up by videos of my infant son, but there's a helluvalot more used up by work files. Working with high resolution images intended for large-scale print takes up lots of space, and then intermediate versions, dead ends the client didn't approve, possibilities for future branches, yada yada yada. it adds up. Multiple backups of various code I've had to bang on, CVS/GIT/SVN trees, etc.. etc... etc..

I don't need search, because I have a good filing system and don't just throw everything into a single directory. I can lay my hands on any version of a given file from a project in about 15 seconds, a bit more if it's on offline storage.

• ♿ (Parody)

@m0ffx said:

Vernor Vinge did something like this in Rainbow's End, except that they sucked the books into a giant shredder, and sucked the shredded bits of books through a tube set up with lots of cameras, and later pieced the scans all together in order to digitize entire libraries at a time.

• @El_Heffe said:

LOL!!!

p.s. Can I use it ... It expresses my emotions perfectly in so many cases ...

• Are you paying thedailywtf to advertise your product? No. Don't come here spamming it with your incoherent rant.

• @El_Heffe said:

• The ClueLess become the Clued

Here is the complete source code. See how simple search is.
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

The Desktop Search showdown has started. Anyone want to help on the Spectate Swamp side?

• ROFLMFAO

line_30900:                 'the "HELP" routine here october 14 2001
    FileFile = FreeFile
    Open "help.txt" For Output As FileFile
    Print #FileFile, " File Prompt #1"
    Print #FileFile, " Enter a file to use '?.txt' or select one"
    Print #FileFile, " of the previously selected files 1-20"
    Print #FileFile, " Option Prompt #2"
    Print #FileFile, " Display pictures, Enter text, Search text"
    Print #FileFile, " Help, Append text, Screen Saver, Set program"
    Print #FileFile, " control options etc etc etc"
    Print #FileFile, ""
    Print #FileFile, " ***** Prompt #2 Options *****"
    Print #FileFile, " C context search / most common search option"
    Print #FileFile, " CC context search / more speed combination of 'S' and 'C' search"
    Print #FileFile, " E Enter more notes to the end of the current text file"
    Print #FileFile, " F Flash search display option, all lines displayed, stopping on matches"
    Print #FileFile, " Q Single line search matching case sensitive (see 'S')"
    Print #FileFile, " S single line match display Lower & Uppercase sensitive"
    Print #FileFile, " Both Q And S are now the same If search is numeric then no uppercase shift etc"
    Print #FileFile, " Y Display the last screen of data ie Yesterday or Last data"
    Print #FileFile, " CH change to text file (uses wordpad for edits)"
    Print #FileFile, " M Minimize screen (allows start of other desktop processes)"
    Print #FileFile, " X Exit to file name prompt"
    Print #FileFile, " P1 Photo display forces (STRETCH) to fit to screen"
    Print #FileFile, " P2 Photo display without a fit to screen option (NORMAL)"
    Print #FileFile, " P Photo display at the default display (stretch or normal)"
    Print #FileFile, " TT Screen saver timer delay ie 'tt0' 'tt5' 'tt10' 'tt.33"
    Print #FileFile, " SS screen saver display ie SSdog river flower"
    Print #FileFile, " WW screen saver display with search criteria ie flood/oldie/ice "
    Print #FileFile, " MERGE to merge.txt so all files can be searched at once ie frm"
    Print #FileFile, " DIR files directory with date and size to directory.txt"
    Print #FileFile, " DIRDATES use with GF below to list date and size of selected files"
    Print #FileFile, " GF Get File, used to capture un-catalogued pictures (use NORAND for MP3 VIP"
    Print #FileFile, " CP Copy picture option, searches catalogued pictures for copy / export to another device or folder"
    Print #FileFile, " Z Paste / Append contents of clipboard text to end of current file"
    Print #FileFile, " HELP display this help.txt info"
    Print #FileFile, " --------------- some lesser used options below "
    Print #FileFile, " RRR search and replace option for masive text changes"
    Print #FileFile, " RAND / NORAND Random display of picture files in SS WW P1 or P2"
    Print #FileFile, " THUMbnail for preview /sample of video or audio using time setting tt10 tt15 etc"
    Print #FileFile, " ELAP elapsed time to display after each mp3 or mpg file "
    Print #FileFile, " video / novideo turn on and off the option for video display (avi decompressor) must be installed" '10 february 2003
    Print #FileFile, " PAUSE / PA to allow for continual text display pausing for what is in the TT delay"
    Print #FileFile, " NS No Show option ie 'nsx-rated my-ex jerk'"
    Print #FileFile, " CCC change to display options in option1.txt for larger font, color changes etc"
    Print #FileFile, " XXX option to extract all displayed data to an alternate text file"
    Print #FileFile, " SKIP Don't display ie skip lines when match found ie 'skipmy-email'"
    Print #FileFile, " CRIPT Encript current text file using crip.txt as control file"
    Print #FileFile, " DECRIPT Does reversal of the cript option"
    Print #FileFile, " MYSTUFF Allows for on-line de-encription of an encripted text file"
    Print #FileFile, " LL Line length, sets line length before wrap ie 'LL100' 'LL' sets back to original length"
    Print #FileFile, " SHOWPOS Displays the line length at the end of each line"
    Print #FileFile, " SHOWASC Displays ascii value of last 10 characters on line"
    Print #FileFile, " EMAIL Reads e-mail formatted files and skips lots of control info"
    Print #FileFile, " IMPORT Takes e-mails from netscape and outlook files"
    Print #FileFile, " T Same as 'S' except that data also put to an extract file"
    Print #FileFile, " D Same as 'C' except that data also put to an extract file"
    Print #FileFile, " R Same as 'Q' except that data also put to an extract file"
    Print #FileFile, " CROP Creates extract file with line wraps ie 'CROP100'"
    Print #FileFile, " QQQ Similar to RRR used to line-feed carriage-returns from line matches"
    Print #FileFile, " VV Load clipboard with text following 'VVrepetitive data'"
    Print #FileFile, " VVV Loads secondary clipboard with data 'VVVinsert-this'"
    Print #FileFile, " GGG yet another clip area load"
    Print #FileFile, " SC Screen Capture delay (delays prompt box by 5 seconds) so alt/print-screen sequence can capture data"
    Print #FileFile, " PC Picture count (used with 'CP' to assign picture sequence number ie 'PC20' results in pict20.jpg "
    Print #FileFile, " DISC displays username and computer name & OS version"
    Print #FileFile, " HH Sets the hilite_this element (very handy to hi-lite other info CMD(31))"
    Print #FileFile, " " '06 December 2004 see if a blank line fixes the help display
    Print #FileFile, " HL Changes the Append_start element for display"
    Print #FileFile, " HLL Changes the Append_end element for hi-liting"
    Print #FileFile, " DETAIL NODETAIL changes cmd(56) " '18 November 2004
    Print #FileFile, ""
    Print #FileFile, " ***** Search Prompt #3 Options *****"
    Print #FileFile, "V or H will load clipboard data just like Ctrl V" '17 December 2004
    Print #FileFile, "D for todays date to be the search"
    Print #FileFile, "DX for yesterday date for search but no 01 workie"
    Print #FileFile, "otherwise the text search strings seperated by a =" + Cmd(6) '06 December 2004
    Print #FileFile, ""
    Print #FileFile, " ***** End of Screen #4 Prompt Options *****"
    Print #FileFile, " P Previous for previous picture or previous match if text search"
    Print #FileFile, " PP Previous Picture passed to Browser Netscape or Explorer"
    Print #FileFile, " allows for a picture print etc "
    Print #FileFile, " B Back / previous page when in text search display"
    Print #FileFile, " V Same as Back moves one page before current match"
    Print #FileFile, " "
    Print #FileFile, " ***** Detail line options and controls *****"
    Print #FileFile, " WAIT= Over-ride wait time on a line by line basis"
    Print #FileFile, " THUMB== Partial play using time in display seconds"
    Print #FileFile, " DOSHOW Over-ride any noshow"
    Print #FileFile, " START== Set the start point for a Movie or Music file"
    Print #FileFile, " FIT== Set the photo display to fit-to-screen"
    Print #FileFile, " REG== Display the photo without fit-to-screen"
    Print #FileFile, " "
    Print #FileFile, " ***** Command File Control Elements *****"
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(1) Max_cnt lines per screen ==" + Cmd(1)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(2) Font.size text point size ==" + Cmd(2)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(3) Backcolor background color '3 for aqua' ==" + Cmd(3)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(4) Def_fore text color '15 for white' '12 for red' ==" + Cmd(4)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(5) forecolor hi-lite color '14 for yellow' ==" + Cmd(5)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(6) seperator '/' forward slash default search seperator ==" + Cmd(6)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(7) dateno or dateyes for a date on every input line ==" + Cmd(7)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(8) browser default Explorer / Netscape path ==" + Cmd(8)
    Print #FileFile, " CMD(9) paint program 'mspaint' file path ==" + Cmd(9)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(10) text editor 'wordpad' is the default 'CH' option ==" + Cmd(10)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(11) files.txt list of opened files in accessed order ==" + Cmd(11)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(12) search.txt list of recent search strings in order at search prompt ==" + Cmd(12)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(13) mspub.exe executable program ?? ==" + Cmd(13)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(14) enterdateyes date on start of each text entry group 'E' option ==" + Cmd(14)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(15) enddateyes date on end of each text entry group 'E' option ==" + Cmd(15)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(16) optional .exe ??? ==" + Cmd(16)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(17) xoffset for prompt box '11000' photo display semi-hide prompt box ==" + Cmd(17)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(18) yoffset for prompt box '8500' photo display semi-hide prompt box ==" + Cmd(18)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(19) replace.txt temporary file for change routines see '37'??? ==" + Cmd(19)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(20) C/p1/email ??? ==" + Cmd(20)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(21) line_len characters per line '82' default ==" + Cmd(21)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(22) context_lines '6' lines displayed before a 'C' context match ==" + Cmd(22)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(23) copy picture 'CP' default folder 'destination folder for copies' ==" + Cmd(23)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(24) ppaste allows for vvv to paste string 'xxx.c:\family1\scn000' ==" + Cmd(24)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(25) gpaste allows for ggg to paste string 'photo family gathering' etc ==" + Cmd(25)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(26) 'photo' ss default ss_search element ==" + Cmd(26)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(27) delay_sec for screen saver 'SS' option '4' seconds default ==" + Cmd(27)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(28) noshow element ie 'creep' 'nfg' 'my-x' etc for photo display skip photos ==" + Cmd(28)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(29) altcolor '10' default green, see element 31 which is displayed with this color ==" + Cmd(29)
    Print #FileFile, " handy to display critical elements ie xxx. is in 31 for demo how to use this "
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(30) 'Y' unload project option required for Windows ME Y/N option ==" + Cmd(30)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(31) hilite_this element 'XXX.' if this element exists hilite it with code in element 29 ==" + Cmd(31)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(32) crip.txt encription file to use when 'mystuff' code ==" + Cmd(32)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(33) D search default at search prompt entry 'D' for today etc ==" + Cmd(33)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(34) 5 context window 'before' see element 22 ???? ==" + Cmd(34)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(35) indir input directory for 'GF' get file load picture option ==" + Cmd(35)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(36) file extension 'JPG' for 'GF' get file load picture type of picture ==" + Cmd(36)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(37) temp.txt 'see option 19' ==" + Cmd(37)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(38) stretch_img 'stretch/normal' 'yes' or 'no' P1 or P2 photo display option ==" + Cmd(38)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(39) autoredraw allows for screen refresh between sessions (slows down F flash display and others)==" + Cmd(39)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(40) Allowable write drives ie A:\ C:\ ==" + Cmd(40)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(41) Option Prompt #2 if photo file default display P1 P2 WW ==" + Cmd(41)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(42) Option Prompt #2 if text file default display C S Q ==" + Cmd(42)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(43) browser default Explorer / Netscape path for NT==" + Cmd(43)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(44) text editor 'wordpad' is the default 'CH' for NT option ==" + Cmd(44)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(45) auto run program name ie SPECIAL ==" + Cmd(45)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(46) auto run prompt #1 (file select) ==" + Cmd(46)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(47) auto run prompt #2 (search options) ==" + Cmd(47)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(48) auto run prompt #3 (search string)==" + Cmd(48)
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(49) RANDOM NORANDOM on photo search ==" + Cmd(49) '09 december 2002
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(50) Show Merged file names In Caption Area (SHOWFILES) ==" + Cmd(50) '24 december 2002
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(51) avi file size x min (1050)==" + Cmd(51) '01 february 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(52) avi file size y min (775)==" + Cmd(52) '01 february 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(53) video / novideo if avi installed (NOSHOWVIDEO)==" + Cmd(53) '10 february 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(54) If recent files match show the duplicates or not (SHOWDUPS)==" + Cmd(54) '28 february 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(55) number of lines in context file to clear (see Cmd(22)) 00 or ==" + Cmd(55) '18 March 2003 ver=1.01
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(56) display photo detail on pictures (set when GF and MP3) (PHOTO_DETAIL)==" + Cmd(56) '22 March 2003 ver=1.02
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(57) time display on / off switch (SHOWTIME)==" + Cmd(57) '26 March 2003 ver=1.03
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(58) DEFAULT_TO_CD when this set the drive ie c:\ will default to where it is running ie E:\ F:\==" + Cmd(58) '30 May 2003 ver=1.06
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(59) Delay Timing change (should be 0.00) for mpeg movies==" + Cmd(59) '29 September 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(60) Freeze delay time for mpeg movies & Photo_detail info==" + Cmd(60) '01 October 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(61) Allow for set speed of playback==" + Cmd(61) '30 October 2003
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(62) Slow Motion segment duration (ie .01667)==" + Cmd(62) '08 January 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(63) Show Elapsed time of video switch (slow motion only) (ie SHOWELAP)==" + Cmd(63) '11 February 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(64) Pad_time (thousandsands added when in slow motion)==" + Cmd(64) '21 February 2004
    'the above command put in because some files failed when using the get position
    'command ie notably the niki and sparrow bird bath some weird bug??
    'it works in most cases, and is really only needed when cataloguing etc.
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(65) Random begin for video play RANDBEG etc ==" + Cmd(65) '23 March 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(66) Interrupt video replay speed (ie 250) ==" + Cmd(66) '10 April 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(67) Thumbnail on or off ie noTHUMB or THUMB ==" + Cmd(67) '14 April 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(68) Continue at end of file (WW) ie noEOF_STOP ==" + Cmd(68) '12 September 2004 use with background job allows them to stop
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(69) Continue after match found (P) ie noHIT_STOP ==" + Cmd(69) '17 September 2004 use with background job allows them to stop after match found.
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(70) if FOREGROUND then background job given focus & hi-lited ==" + Cmd(70) '17 September 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(71) Allow for input from batch file ie noBATCHFILE ==" + Cmd(71) '27 October 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(72) Allow for video pictures music play list noRESULTS.TXT ==" + Cmd(72) '08 November 2004 keep a file for a play list
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(73) Switch input file when Control.txt file changes see Cmd(46) noFILESWITCH ==" + Cmd(73) '22 November 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(74) End of file command file switch (re text searches mainly) noEOFCMD ==" + Cmd(74) '26 November 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(75) Do not allow for video interrupt on cd and dvd copies VIDEOSTOP ==" + Cmd(75) '12 December 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(76) Line pause to create scrolling text noLINEPAUSE==1.5 ==" + Cmd(76) '24 December 2004
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(77) Character pause on print text display noCHARACTERPAUSE==.00333 =="; Cmd(77) '03 January 2005
    Print #FileFile, "CMD(78) Text file formats to allow during merge command TXT FRM HTM ==" + Cmd(78) '07 January 2005
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 09 june 2002 allow for 6 search strings up from 3 (hi-lites only 3)"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 23 june 2002 allow for hi-lites of all 6 search strings"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 20 july 2002 allow use of non writable cd demo (do not update files)"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 27 july 2002 at photo continue prompt allow for . to display hidden prompt on screen"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 10 august 2002 allow for prompt #2 to default "
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 12 august 2002 allow for 'rand' at prompt #2 to randomly select pics in file "
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 25 august 2002 display elapsed time and character count on display"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 26 august 2002 CC search uses 'S' search then regets with a 'P' previous sequence"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 31 August 2002 if search data numeric don't do uppercase if alpha switch to uppercase for search"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 05 October 2002 PAUSE / PA option allow for screen saver type display of text, stopping for TT on each screen"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 12 October 2002 DEBPHO to debug the photo display on some computers"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 30 November 2002 DISC now shows os version ie Windows 98 etc"
    Print #FileFile, "option change 05 December 2002 P1 & P2 just change image size P does single photo display"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 09 December 2002 Cmd(49) RANDOM / NORANDOM store from run to run"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 24 December 2002 Cmd(50) showfiles / noshowfiles in merged text files show file name where match found"
    Print #FileFile, "option change if program name matches Cmd(45) then change drive # to that of app.path"
    Print #FileFile, "Allow close of window during screen saver to unload form"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 01 February 2003 allow for *.avi video play cmd(51) cmd(52)"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 28 February 2003 enable skip if same file listed twice for play or display cmd(54)"
    Print #FileFile, "new feature 20 March 2003 context clear cmd(55) allow for centering of text on screen"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 22 March 2003 PHOTO_DETAIL text info along with pics see Cmd(56)"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 26 March 2003 version 1.03 & 1.02b switchable time display"
    Print #FileFile, "Hint: In random display mode, to view last 3 pictures add 6 blank lines to file"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 11 May 2003 ver=1.05 display *.mpg video files similar to *.avi"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 24 June 2003 ver=1.07 play mp3 audio files similar to above"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 13 July 2003 ver=1.07a ELAP for elapsed time display after mp3 and mpg files"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 19 July 2003 ver=1.07T THUMbnail at prompt #2 to just show or play short clips / previews /samples using tt time"
    Print #FileFile, " Version 2.0 and greater "
    Print #FileFile, " START==10000 at prompt #2 to test various start points in a video or song"
    Print #FileFile, " START==20000 on the search detail line, to change individual file start point"
    Print #FileFile, " use START==????? and WAIT=??? to show / play mini-clips from anywhere in a file"
    Print #FileFile, " ***start==1000 for those video files that just won't play ie.(wavie lines only)"
    Print #FileFile, "26 July 2003 default context display color to value in cmd(29) alternate color"
    Print #FileFile, " minor bug fix related to wait time changing"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 03 August 2003 ver=2.2 allow for FIT== And REG== to determine regular or fit to screen similar to WAIT="
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 18 August 2003 THUMB== on detail line will force a short play based on delay seconds"
    Print #FileFile, " DOSHOW to over-ride any noshow settings (on detail line)"
    Print #FileFile, "Fix 09 September 2003 to allow for service pack 1 systems"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 24 September 2003 freeze=5 on a mpg video, after a wait=10 will hold the frame for display for 5 seconds"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 29 September 2003 cmd(59) element used to adjust delay time (between systems)"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 30 October 2003 cmd(61) element SETSPEED and speed=500 at prompt #2"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 16 November 2003 over-ride above speed on a line basis ie speed=250"
    Print #FileFile, "Fix 08 January 2004 replace SET SPEED with PAUSE and RESUME sequences"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 16 August 2004 WMV video format now plays"
    Print #FileFile, "Fix 16 August 2004 pause between jpg files fixed"
    Print #FileFile, "Fix 27 August 2004 at interrupt alow for complete play by entering aa"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 04 September allow for multiple inputs on prompt #2 seperated by / sep"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature 12 September 2004 allow for background job backgrd==c:\search\backgrd1\backgrd1.exe "
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature cmd(68) EOF_STOP to allow for background job to stop at eof use with (WW) prompt #2 option"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature Cmd(69) HIT_STOP to allow for background job to stop at first match/hit use with (P) prompt #2 option"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature Cmd(70) FOREGROUND causes a background job to be given focus over main job"
    Print #FileFile, "New Feature command==tt8/rand/randa/thumb/ww found on match line will change command settings"
    Print #FileFile, "Fix 25 October 2004 Small video now play"
    Print #FileFile, "27 October 2004 Batch file input option see cmd(71)"
    Print #FileFile, " differences between to files limit of 10000 lines for now"
    Print #FileFile, " differences between to files limit of 20000 lines for now 18-Mar-2007"
    Print #FileFile, "Minor change force directory date out on gf option 03 November 2004"
    Print #FileFile, "08 November 2004 create a results.txt file for video pics music see Cmd(72)"
    Print #FileFile, "18 November 2004 minor New Feature DETAIL, NODETAIL changes cmd(56)"
    Print #FileFile, "19 November 2004 New feature allows for CONTROL==controlx.txt or controly.txt to switch control files"
    Print #FileFile, " ***vip*** change the control files on the fly (very usefull)"
    Print #FileFile, " less use for the command== option now" '19 November 2004
    '20 November 2004 allow for a cr at photo continue prompt to restart screen saver if auto_exe set
    Print #FileFile, "22 November 2004 New feature on CONTROL== if cmd(73) has FILESWITCH then change the input file to element cmd(46)"
    Print #FileFile, " in the new control file. " '22 November 2004
    Print #FileFile, "23 November 2004 New Feature on OPTIONS==OPT=controla.txtOPT=controlb.txtOPT=controlc.txt select 1 2 or 3 ..10 for navigation of presentations"
    Print #FileFile, "28 November 2004 New Feature add GIF files to list of pictures displayed"
    Print #FileFile, "06 December 2004 New Feature enter DX at search prompt for yesterday date but not 01"
    Print #FileFile, "17 December 2004 New Feature enter a V or H at the search prompt will paste in the clipboard just like Ctrl V"
    Print #FileFile, "19 December 2004 New Feature allow for inset keypad at prompt #1 and prompt #3 ie J=4 K=5 L=6 etc"
    Print #FileFile, "24 December 2004 New Feature allow for pause after each print line. Rather than all text displayed at once see Cmd(76)"
    Print #FileFile, "06 January 2005 Minor New Feature, if pause do not display prompt #4 at end of screen add 1 line to max_cnt cmd(1)"
    Print #FileFile, "07 January 2005 New Feature allow for merge of text data files other than .txt ie .htm .for .frm .cls etc..."
    Print #FileFile, "10 January 2005 Minor fix re change 06 January 2005 the F option was not continuing now it does"
    Print #FileFile, "20 August 2005 allow for the last few seconds as a thumbnail using start==299000 and thumb"
    Print #FileFile, "29 November 2006 instead of pictures allow for URL address to be copied and pasted "
    Print #FileFile, "29 January 2007 anything after http: if no / follows keep all except the http: "
    Print #FileFile, "21 February 2007 fix the Start== not working properly - just initialize a couple values?"
    Print #FileFile, "11 March 2007 final fix for the start== bug"
    Print #FileFile, "28 March 2007 remove the favorites from directory it causes me problems"
    Print #FileFile, "Version = " + vvversion
    Print #FileFile, "contact " + program_info + " stonedan@telusplanet.net"
    Close #FileFile
    DoEvents

•     'savior version 1.0
    'all unpaid copies carry a curse
    ' be warned
    And that is why you run awful shit like this in a Virtual Machine.
    I truly hope anyone who did try this out, ran it in an isolated environment? 

• The Final Final Clue

Final clues

the encryption file cript.txt is at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/cript.txt

It is used to shuffle the characters around during encryption

the search excutable is at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Final clues

the encryption file cript.txt is at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/cript.txt

It is used to shuffle the characters around during encryption

the search excutable is at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe

Rot-37 (or so) is your encryption? I got more secure encryption out of a cereal box this morning... If you wanted real security, you could XOR the data with the passphrase 'susageP', just like Microsoft did in early version of WinCE for storing NT passwords. If Microsoft does it, it must be industrial strength, you know.

So how's life in Troll land anyways? We don't take enough time to find out enough about each other on this forum... tell us about yourself. Is the sky blue in your world? Birds grounded and pigs airborne? 1 + 1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1?

ROFLMFAO

line_30900:      ...

As long as it works as designed, I guess it is ok. 

• @dande said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

ROFLMFAO

line_30900:      ...

As long as it works as designed, I guess it is ok. 

?

It is all hardcoded strings, that write to a file (help.txt).

Presumably to be opened later for help...

Why not just put that all in help.txt and ship it with the code? Unless you are getting paid per line of code, this is just ridiculous.

Pretty much meets and exceeds my definition of WTF.

I truly hope anyone who did try this out, ran it in an isolated environment?

I tried it with Wine. That is, I mean "I ran it with Wine, screamed "WTF?" for a few seconds and deleted it".

?

It is all hardcoded strings, that write to a file (help.txt).

Presumably to be opened later for help...

Why not just put that all in help.txt and ship it with the code? Unless you are getting paid per line of code, this is just ridiculous.

Pretty much meets and exceeds my definition of WTF.

Now I am confused.

In this thread, I learned that as long as something works as designed, then it is fine, but now it is not?