Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

• Desktop Search Nuts WANTED

@ChZEROHag said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

The source works for the PC. Now I just need some Mac, Linux and Java desktop search enthusiasts to take up the challenge. I'll help all I can!

For Mac and Linux, here you go:

#!/bin/sh

# (rev. 1) Get rid of -E: we don't want no stinkin' regex.

grep -d recurse $@ $HOME

Oh wait, I forgot one major feature.

#!/bin/sh

# (rev. 1) Get rid of -E: we don't want no stinkin' regex.

grep -d recurse $@ $HOME |tee /tmp/pick

nlines = `wc -l /tmp/pick` 

line = `expr \( 1 + $RANDOM \) \* $nlines / 32768`

# (rev. 2) Don't forget to open something randomly.

open "`head -n $line |tail -n1 |cut -d: -f1`"

Looks like you are a good candidate for Spectate Swamp Shack. Maybe even the front of the class. Want to join?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Looks like you are a good candidate for Spectate Swamp Shack. Maybe even the front of the class. Want to join?

Do I get to take your job and fire you?

• Nuts starting to surface

@ChZEROHag said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Take it and do or don't do whatever you like.

@ChZEROHag said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

@ChZEROHag said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Spectate, I can see you're obviously a visual learner(read as semi-retarded). I've put some graphics together to help you gain some insight into how we all see you as:

I hope you're starting to get it now....

• oh man, that are classic.

• oh fuck.  channel9 did lock his thread (221 posts btw), now he is going to have double the time to spend on this site...

• Mpeg2 video testers needed

@tster said:

oh fuck.  channel9 did lock his thread (221 posts btw), now he is going to have double the time to spend on this site...

135,000 total reads at channel9. Somebody is getting clued in.

Anybody with Desktop Search insight. I can use. Some of you just won't qualify. Sorry way too clueless.

More and more video is being done. This software is needed on all computer systems. Not just the PC

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@tster said:
    oh fuck.  channel9 did lock his thread (221 posts btw), now he is going to have double the time to spend on this site...

Anybody with Desktop Search insight. I can use. Some of you just won't qualify. Sorry way too clueless.

More and more video is being done. This software is needed on all computer systems. Not just the PC

You are the laughing stock of the internet and especially the developer community. I hope you are proud.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

@tster said:

You are the laughing stock of the internet and especially the developer community. I hope you are proud.

I would imagine that he is proud because:

a. This is a hoax, and he's managed to hoodwink the developer community.  This whole thing reeks of shenanigans.  From http://spectate-swamp-source.blogspot.com/ : "The Source Code for Desktop Search:(10,000 lines of Visual Basic code in One routine)".  Sounds like he's intentionally pointing out how absolutely WTF his code is. Furthermore, he posted here, so I would assume that he has at least read an article or two.  He would have to know that his code is atrocious.  

OR

b. This isn't a hoax, and he actually thinks his Desktop-Search-video-book-random-wooden-table method of data management is path to enlightment.  In which case, all of this exposure is the best thing he could ask for.  When was the last time thousands of people noticed something you did? 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

This software is needed on all computer systems. Not just the PC

This doesn't need to be ported, Wine will run it. Spotlight is so hard to use anyway, it won't even show me random files.

• @marinus said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

This software is needed on all computer systems. Not just the PC

This doesn't need to be ported, Wine will run it. Spotlight is so hard to use anyway, it won't even show me random files.

You completely let us down. Where are your 'feeding the troll' tags at least?

We were really trying to not let him know about ways to run this on Mac or Linux btw.

But at least use the tag... it is starting to dominate the tag cloud!

• Lowering the BAR to computer literacy

@HaunchesMcGee said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

@tster said:
    135,000 total reads at channel9. Somebody is getting clued in. Anybody with Desktop Search insight. I can use. Some of you just won't qualify. Sorry way too clueless. More and more video is being done. This software is needed on all computer systems. Not just the PC

I would imagine that he is proud because:

a. This is a hoax, and he's managed to hoodwink the developer community.  This whole thing reeks of shenanigans.  From http://spectate-swamp-source.blogspot.com/ : "The Source Code for Desktop Search:(10,000 lines of Visual Basic code in One routine)".  Sounds like he's intentionally pointing out how absolutely WTF his code is. Furthermore, he posted here, so I would assume that he has at least read an article or two.  He would have to know that his code is atrocious.  

OR

b. This isn't a hoax, and he actually thinks his Desktop-Search-video-book-random-wooden-table method of data management is path to enlightment.  In which case, all of this exposure is the best thing he could ask for.  When was the last time thousands of people noticed something you did? 

Thanks for all the ridicule. A few good points got brought up along the way. Laugh or not at least people are looking. I just registered with Sourceforge.net I'll be wanting the swampies over there. Not all were laughing. Maybe the guy next to you GETS IT

• Thanks for the Mac info

Wine sounds like I need to know a little more. Maybe my Mac friends will give it a spin.

Thanks

• Sanity wanted

@SpectateSwamp said:

The source works for the PC. Now I just need some Mac, Linux and Java desktop search enthusiasts to take up the challenge. I'll help all I can!

Java is not an OS.  Thanks for playing.

However, Java would be a good shot if you wanted to make your code portable to other platforms with minimal effort.  In Java, you can even write a program that'll run on a cell phone.

• @belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

However, Java would be a good shot if you wanted to make your code portable to other platforms with minimal effort.  In Java, you can even write a program that'll run on a cell phone.

Shudders at the thought of what the Java would look like

@SpectateSwamp said:

• FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS!!

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Thanks for all the ridicule.

I'm afraid you only have yourself to thank for.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Maybe the guy next to you GETS IT

There's nothing to GET.  You just made the utmost redundant piece of "software".  You made a text search function, without an editor.  You built an CLI for one sole function: to search through one text file.

On top of that: documentation is non-existent and learning to use your CLI costs half a day of time.  While your biggest competition (Notepad.exe) takes about a minute for a novice computer user to learn, understand and use.  Sure, notepad can't play video's at random, but that's why we have Windows Media Player and it's "shuffle" feature.

Your program lacks basic features, and the feature present takes long for an average user to apprehend.  The "benefits" of having all your data in text files are ridiculous (I can perfectly edit any form of data on any sort of OS) and all that "metadata" you detest because of it's complexity is actually quite simple: if my dad wants to add a caption to a picture as 'metadata', he just types the caption in at the bottom of the program he's using.  Hell, he wouldn't know metadata if it hit him, but he's using it every day.

Seeing that you and my dad might be from the same generation, I gave him your desktop search to test.  He called it rubbish (and me with it for suggesting such crap as a desktop search replacement for his Desktop Search in Vista).

So, your program sucks on features, sucks on usability (according to the random common man, in this case my quite computer-illiterate dad) and your code is a mayor suck. You want your Desktop Search to become something?  Get a book and start reading about what changed in the last 30 years.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I just registered with Sourceforge.net

Somebody check their Terms Of Service. Is it allowed to host a complete piece of junk on their site?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Not all were laughing

Right you are! In fact, most were crying...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tdittmar said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Somebody check their Terms Of Service. Is it allowed to host a complete piece of junk on their site?

Sadly not, but just had a look, and one clause had me thinking WTF??!:

When you create or make available Your Content, you thereby represent and warrant that:

[...] 

(e) Your Content is not obscene, lewd, lascivious,
    excessively violent, harassing, libelous or slanderous, does not
    advocate the violent overthrow of the government of the United States,

does not incite, encourage or threaten immediate physical harm against
    another, does not violate any applicable law, regulation, or rule, and
    does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;

What about all the other countries out there? And what about a non-violent overthrow?

• @PJH said:

@tdittmar said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Sadly not (...)

It does, however, say this:

(d) Your Content does not contain any viruses, worms, Trojan horses, [b]malicious code or other harmful or destructive content[/b];

One could quite easily argue this code is an example of that - after all, "content" also covers the source code itself, and that is pretty damn painful to read.

• @PJH said:

When you create or make available Your Content, you thereby represent and warrant that:

[...] 

What about all the other countries out there? And what about a non-violent overthrow? 

Sourceforge is located in the US, the US has puritanical and self-serving censorship laws, nothing new here. There's a few other sites (like gna.org) running gforge on non-US servers precisely so that people can host things outside of the US and avoid silly laws like these.

• @PJH said:

[...] 

It fails obscene and harassing... It is both of those things to anybody with even inkling of a clue...

• ♿ (Parody)

@asuffield said:

@PJH said:

(e) Your Content...does not
    advocate the violent overthrow of the government of the United States...

Sourceforge is located in the US, the US has puritanical and self-serving censorship laws, nothing new here. There's a few other sites (like gna.org) running gforge on non-US servers precisely so that people can host things outside of the US and avoid silly laws like these.

Are you serious?  Is there any country in the world where you could openly advocate its violent overthrow and not get in trouble?  It is a weird thing to put into a TOS document, and I'd be interested to hear the history on the decision to include this.  It's probably some lawyer advising excessive CYA.  I guess survival could be considered self-serving.  I'm not sure how this matches with puritanical, though.  If we were talking about a wardrobe malfunction, you'd have a point.

• @boomzilla said:

@asuffield said:
    @PJH said:

Are you serious?  Is there any country in the world where you could openly advocate its violent overthrow and not get in trouble?  It is a weird thing to put into a TOS document, and I'd be interested to hear the history on the decision to include this.  It's probably some lawyer advising excessive CYA.  I guess survival could be considered self-serving.  I'm not sure how this matches with puritanical, though.  If we were talking about a wardrobe malfunction, you'd have a point.

I agree. How someone makes software that advocates a violent overthrowing of the government is beyond me... but to use another site simply because they don't allow software for this purpose is pretty ridiculous.

What exactly would you need hosting for that might be under some gray area here?

• @tster said:

oh fuck.  channel9 did lock his thread

Please do the same here.

• @PJH said:

@tdittmar said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Sadly not, but just had a look, and one clause had me thinking WTF??!:

[...] 

another
    , does not violate any applicable law, regulation, or rule, and

There you have it ..

First of all my brain hurts when I look at the DesktopSearch Code ...

And secondly it makes me wanna kill someone ...

Clear violation of the TOS

We were really trying to not let him know about ways to run this on Mac or Linux btw.

Psst. Wine doesn't actually run it. It's a mock-up. :P

Don't tell anybody. Shh. 

• @marinus said:

Psst. Wine doesn't actually run it. It's a mock-up. :P

Don't tell anybody. Shh. 

I could only hope... This outbreak needs to be contained.

• @boomzilla said:

@asuffield said:
    @PJH said:

Are you serious?  Is there any country in the world where you could openly advocate its violent overthrow and not get in trouble?

Yes. Advocating the violent overthrow of the British government is a long-standing tradition, dating back centuries. That's pretty much how all of our governments got started (by shooting, stabbing, or bashing the previous one over the head with a rock, depending on available technology). There's no law against saying that it's time to do it again, so long as you don't encourage people to commit specific crimes (which would fall under the general common-law heading of 'incitement').

@asuffield said:

@boomzilla said:
    [...]

Are you serious?  Is there any country in the world where you could openly advocate its violent overthrow and not get in trouble?

Yes. Advocating the violent overthrow of the British government is a long-standing tradition, dating back centuries. That's pretty much how all of our governments got started (by shooting, stabbing, or bashing the previous one over the head with a rock, depending on available technology). There's no law against saying that it's time to do it again, so long as you don't encourage people to commit specific crimes (which would fall under the general common-law heading of 'incitement').

Sadly the British government is not immune to all the 'terrorist bollocks' that certain western governments, in their paranoia, seem to have convinced themselves of - they can dress up what you're doing as terrorism, and lock you up without charge. Smith plans 42-day terror limit (Comparison with other countries.)

• @asuffield said:

@boomzilla said:
    @asuffield said:
    @PJH said:

Disclaimer: INAL 

There are no specific laws in the US for this either.

I could post a website, start a club (cult, militia, whatever), start a religion, whatever. It can advocate and preach the overthrow of the government. It can go as far as it wants, right up until an actual crime has been committed.

The definition of the limit is a bit of a gray area, and if your group becomes strong enough to be important you can expect to be under constant scrutiny by the government... But you have that right here. 

I am not clear if you are really arguing that the US somehow restricts this right or not, but you would be wrong. Your line of: "US has puritanical and self-serving censorship laws"... I would love to know what your examples of this are. The US was started because of the 'puritanical and self-serving laws" in Britain... You seem to have forgotten about that.

But of course, you will just reply with your notions of "Go away shill! I have no valid reasons for what I say and I don't need any! Gah! You work for MS!!!1!!!!".

Feel free to back up your (so far) wild, baseless opinions on the US.

@asuffield said:

On the contrary, there's a very specific law in the US for this.

Crimes and Criminal Procedure - 18 USC Section 2385 

I could post a website, start a club (cult, militia, whatever), start a religion, whatever. It can advocate and preach the overthrow of the government. It can go as far as it wants, right up until an actual crime has been committed.
    That would be a crime:

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof -

• @PJH said:

@asuffield said:

On the contrary, there's a very specific law in the US for this.

Crimes and Criminal Procedure - 18 USC Section 2385 

That would be a crime:

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof -

Interesting, I have never heard of a law on the books for this reason (as I said, INAL). There are MANY anti american militias in operation all over the US. They are allowed to operate in pretty much plain sight, as long as they don't make any specific threats against the government and they follow the law (the main reason cited for the Waco standoff was illegal firearms).

Through simple google searches you can find the names of these militias and many of their websites (it doesn't surprise me many of these militias dont appear very web-savvy).

So while this apparently 'catch all' law is on the books it is certainly not enforced very often in the light of day.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

• @asuffield said:

@PJH said:

[...] 

Thank God.  We have so much useful USA-overthrowing software out there that would otherwise be suppressed.  I like EatTheRichGammon and AssassinateTheChiefExecutiveSweeper.

• @asuffield said:

ating the violent overthrow of the British government is a long-standing tradition, dating back centuries. That's pretty much how all of our governments got started (by shooting, stabbing, or bashing the previous one over the head with a rock, depending on available technology). There's no law against saying that it's time to do it again, so long as you don't encourage people to commit specific crimes (which would fall under the general common-law heading of 'incitement').

Yes... but apparently all the drawing-and-quartering seems to have had somewhat of a chilling effect in the 21st.

• @PJH said:

@asuffield said:
    @boomzilla said:
    [...]

Sadly the British government is not immune to all the 'terrorist bollocks' that certain western governments, in their paranoia, seem to have convinced themselves of - they can dress up what you're doing as terrorism, and lock you up without charge. Smith plans 42-day terror limit (Comparison with other countries.)

Not quite immune, but most of that stuff has met with heavy opposition - they've been trying to increase the detention limit past 28 days for three years now, with no success at all. 

@asuffield said:

@PJH said:

Not quite immune, but most of that stuff has met with heavy opposition - they've been trying to increase the detention limit past 28 days for three years now, with no success at all. 

TRWTF with this being that they're still trying to get it though.

Never let it be said that the Government don't listen.</sarcasm>

• Man, I never would have thought I would ever say this, but I miss SpectateSwamp.  This thread just isn't the same without him.

COME BACK!!

Note that this post is in no way an endorsement of the crackhead's product. 

Man, I never would have thought I would ever say this, but I miss SpectateSwamp.  This thread just isn't the same without him.

COME BACK!!

Maybe he tried out my challenge and nuked Windows because it's not necessary once you have his desktop search. 

• @MarcB said:

@belgariontheking said:

Man, I never would have thought I would ever say this, but I miss SpectateSwamp.  This thread just isn't the same without him.

COME BACK!!

Maybe he tried out my challenge and nuked Windows because it's not necessary once you have his desktop search. 

Or someone at sourceforge.net decided to take evolution into their own hands and smite him, commando style.

@MarcB said:
    @belgariontheking said:

COME BACK!!

Or someone at sourceforge.net decided to take evolution into their own hands and smite him, commando style.

Or he may be busy "preaching to the choir" so to speak over at SF.net about how open source should be done.

Anyone know what the delay is between SF registration and it showing up in the search indexes and projects database? Just poked around a bit with the most likely keywords and found nothing.

Obviously SF hasn't yet seen the brilliance of SSDS and switched over to it. All the world's open source code in a single flat file. Oh, the glories....

• @MarcB said:

Anyone know what the delay is between SF registration and it showing up in the search indexes and projects database? Just poked around a bit with the most likely keywords and found nothing.

Obviously SF hasn't yet seen the brilliance of SSDS and switched over to it. All the world's open source code in a single flat file. Oh, the glories....

Give him some time, sheesh, you cannot honestly expect him to work quickly with that level of cluelessness....

• http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Top_Five_Open_Source_Stories_Of_2007?t=11678631#c11678631

Spectate Swamp Desktop Search is now open source. (late Dec 2007)

This is the most important program on the planet. Bar none.

• Spectateswamp's icon

Without him around spouting his nonsense, it's hard to come up with ways to make fun of him....

So let's pick on his icon now!

looks like he took a picture of a video of him on YouTube!  Or he created a baseball card of his own image.  Or a Magic: The Gathering card!  Or maybe he's actually even uglier than that, and used someone else's image. 

haha since he's gone he can't defend himself ... hahahahah!!  I miss him *cries*

@djork said:

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Top_Five_Open_Source_Stories_Of_2007?t=11678631#c11678631

Spectate Swamp Desktop Search is now open source. (late Dec 2007)

This is the most important program on the planet. Bar none.

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/PaulJHerring/offensive_swamp.png[/IMG]

Without him around spouting his nonsense, it's hard to come up with ways to make fun of him....

So let's pick on his icon now!

looks like he took a picture of a video of him on YouTube!  Or he created a baseball card of his own image.  Or a Magic: The Gathering card!  Or maybe he's actually even uglier than that, and used someone else's image. 

haha since he's gone he can't defend himself ... hahahahah!!  I miss him cries

Actually I believe it is:

From the channel 9 forums. He has claimed multiple times that this is his real picture, taken from a video he has. If you look closely, you can see the reflection of whoever is videotaping him in his sunglasses.