Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

it works fine as it is.

I think we've by now proven that it doesn't 

• @belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

it works fine as it is.

Although you have to admit SpectateChildren has done a good job of not actually defining 'works'. 

I challenge you to write a spec for his junk code according to what he has claimed on this forum.

• Re: Spectate Swamp is an inbred retard

@belgariontheking said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

it works fine as it is.

SHIT, forgot to feed the troll 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@m0ffx said:
    Sigh...446 posts, 9 pages. If SpectateSwamp is trolling, he's very good at it.

I'm loving this thread. Some fun reading.

The fact is; this search is the only app, I or any non techie needs to make use of computers. Learn it in 1/2 day and leave the Gurus in your technical dust.

ClueLessNess cure sessions at Spectate Swamp Shack

Computing without the Techno Babble.

Astounding!  You're saying that if I have Spectate Swamp Desktop Search I will not need to use Explorer or Notepad?  It completely invalidates every operating system it doesn't run on?  I'll never need to run a web server?  I'll never need a database server?  I'll never want a media player?  What about the web browser you use to post in this forum?  Do we still need that after being enlightened?

• @td888 said:

Haha, this tread is fantastic, but I've got a nagging feeling "SpectateSwamp" is not ONE person, but at least two or more. His grammar, choice of words and 'level of english' in his replies is not always the same....

Now you mention it, this does make sense. Maybe SpectateSwamp is actually a small team of techie trolls, who have decided to band together to form one SuperTroll- like those 5-in-1 Transformers that turned into jet planes or whatever. Surely no one man could produce so much dross... 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@m0ffx said:
    Sigh...446 posts, 9 pages. If SpectateSwamp is trolling, he's very good at it.
    I'm loving this thread. Some fun reading. The fact is; this search is the only app, I or any non techie needs to make use of computers. Learn it in 1/2 day and leave the Gurus in your technical dust. ClueLessNess cure sessions at Spectate Swamp Shack Computing without the Techno Babble.

Okay, you've won me over!  Sign me up!  If it's the only app I'll need, then I can take off the next 7months.  Because I'm supposed to be porting a quote generation program to .Net to work with multiple languages, the internal CRM system and SAP.  Oh yeah, we're moving to SAP at the same time.  If I can get my entire IT team to use SS then we'll just sit back and laugh at how we conned the owners to pony up a couple million dollars, when we had a free open source solution the entire time.

• @rc_pinchey said:

@td888 said:

Haha, this tread is fantastic, but I've got a nagging feeling "SpectateSwamp" is not ONE person, but at least two or more. His grammar, choice of words and 'level of english' in his replies is not always the same....

Now you mention it, this does make sense. Maybe SpectateSwamp is actually a small team of techie trolls, who have decided to band together to form one SuperTroll- like those 5-in-1 Transformers that turned into jet planes or whatever. Surely no one man could produce so much dross... 

Voltron, maybe?  I guess we could call it, "Trolltron." 

• I'll take your challenge, SpectateSwamp, but I can't quite figure out the source code you posted.  If you post a list of the things you think a good search program should do, I'll try and write one that can compete with your desktop search.

• @Cap'n Steve said:

I'll take your challenge, SpectateSwamp, but I can't quite figure out the source code you posted.  If you post a list of the things you think a good search program should do, I'll try and write one that can compete with your desktop search.

But then you're in trouble: you would have to make it closed-source so he can't see that you aren't using any GOTOs (which would make your program HorseShit, and he wouldn't even try it), but at the same time you would have to make it OpenSource, because otherwise you would demonstrate your ClueLessNess about the importance of OpenSource and he wouldn't try it either.

• Cap'n Steve ain't HorseShit

@Cap'n Steve said:

I'll take your challenge, SpectateSwamp, but I can't quite figure out the source code you posted.  If you post a list of the things you think a good search program should do, I'll try and write one that can compete with your desktop search.

I'm sure they won't like you asking real questions.

It's easier to figure out the source code, if you have a copy of the search.exe running. ie check the prompts and look for them in the code etc.

During text search it replaces tabs with spaces, removes multiple spaces and ensures there is one at the beginning and end of each data line. That way It can search for leading and trailing spaces. When I don't know how to spell a word, and there are lots I don't know how to spell. I enter a space then a few characters from the start of the word and the same for the end of the word. Both have to appear on the same line for a match to show. It works. When searching a string that means, if a search finds an entry with a trailing space (A) and the next has a leading space (B) It has to put back in the trailing space. If A is immediately followed by B. That and the hi-lite logic was the only tricky part in the code. It required I spend 3 days. Flowcharting changing logic, redrawing the chart, a few more changes and it was done I'd suggest you use this code as is. Change it to take out the GoTo's and you will be a hero. In my eyes anyway. Then If I can just get somebody to work on the rest. I go to another forum and start fresh.

I need to work on my list of how I use this search so you too can be as dumb as you want and make easy and productive use of computers. Good going Cap'n

I'll Be BAAAAAAk

• Share data and do conversion audits with SS

@taylonr said:

Okay, you've won me over!  Sign me up!  If it's the only app I'll need, then I can take off the next 7months.  Because I'm supposed to be porting a quote generation program to .Net to work with multiple languages, the internal CRM system and SAP.  Oh yeah, we're moving to SAP at the same time.  If I can get my entire IT team to use SS then we'll just sit back and laugh at how we conned the owners to pony up a couple million dollars, when we had a free open source solution the entire time.

If you want your project to go smoothly then you had better share lots of info. If I had a project that large. All team members would be using the search to keep notes and screen captures of the various details. When the data gets swapped into the new system. Have it do a dump to text and do a quick check of the counts for a given word, element type etc. Also keep lots of screen captures of exceptions, conversion steps, totals etc. This info shared with the rest of your group will get you done 7 months early. You'll all get raises. Good decision taylonr

• Poor bridge...

...missing its troll.

• @Lingerance said:

@DrPhil said:
    Something interesting about this thread.  Several days ago it was rated one star.  It moved up to 1 1/2 at some point and now at over 400 posts it at 2 stars.  At this rate, on a linear scale the thread will reach 5 stars at about the 1600 post point.  Lets keep it going! lol
    For some reason people rated this lowly on the wtf scale, belgariontheking and myself rated it 5 stars, tdittmar rated it 4 and 8 others rated it 1. More people need to vote high to mark this as a true wtf. Press the right-most star to vote 9from [sic] inside the thread) and press any star in the board view to view who rated the thread what.

It appears either people like this thread allot by voting it 5, or people followed my biased instructions to the letter inadvertently voting this thread high as it is now rated 3.5 stars. I should probably mention one's vote is not permanent and may be changed by clicking what you witch rating you want to vote for. Also we have appeared to lost one voter who voted 1 in the vote rankings, unless I miscounted.

• More 5 VOTES wanted

@Lingerance said:

@Lingerance said:
    @DrPhil said:
    Something interesting about this thread.  Several days ago it was rated one star.  It moved up to 1 1/2 at some point and now at over 400 posts it at 2 stars.  At this rate, on a linear scale the thread will reach 5 stars at about the 1600 post point.  Lets keep it going! lol
    For some reason people rated this lowly on the wtf scale, belgariontheking and myself rated it 5 stars, tdittmar rated it 4 and 8 others rated it 1. More people need to vote high to mark this as a true wtf. Press the right-most star to vote 9from [sic] inside the thread) and press any star in the board view to view who rated the thread what.
    It appears either people like this thread allot by voting it 5, or people followed my biased instructions to the letter inadvertently voting this thread high as it is now rated 3.5 stars. I should probably mention one's vote is not permanent and may be changed by clicking what you witch rating you want to vote for. Also we have appeared to lost one voter who voted 1 in the vote rankings, unless I miscounted.

I haven't Voted YET

• Good Troll - BAD Troll - Poor bridge...

@Joe Luser said:

...missing its troll.

Advice. If you are going to be a Troll. Be the very best you can. If you are going to be bad be very BAD.

• More Enlightenment the ClueLess CRY

@djork said:

Astounding!  You're saying that if I have Spectate Swamp Desktop Search I will not need to use Explorer or Notepad?  It completely invalidates every operating system it doesn't run on?  I'll never need to run a web server?  I'll never need a database server?  I'll never want a media player?  What about the web browser you use to post in this forum?  Do we still need that after being enlightened?

Every OS has a NotePad or Explorer. I don't use notepad as much as my Browser. Once this Search is on other HardWare then I'm even more portable with my data. Few very few, need to run a web server. With Spectate Swamp you don't need a database PERIOD. But go ahead SS is a good audit for any DataBase problems. This media player will make your media so much fun you'll forget the rest. My Web browser is not nearly as irreplaceable as this SS Search.

More Enlightenment the ClueLess CRY

• Swampies get a Challenge

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

Although you have to admit SpectateChildren has done a good job of not actually defining 'works'.

I challenge you to write a spec for his junk code according to what he has claimed on this forum.

Don't need no Specs with Spectate Swamp. Grab the Source and jam IT.
    If you don't have VB maybe you can send the text to 1 or 2 of these WiseGuys and they will build an exe for you.

I Challenge any Swampie out there to be the FIRST to make this change to the Most Powerful Program on the Planet.

The search has a HiLite_This element in control.txt position #31 or cmd(31). This element gets hi-lited if any lines
    other than the match line gets displayed. But not when it's on the match line. There is a simple fix for this problem
    with a couple of perfectly placed pieces of Spaghetti code.

How I'd do this "Enhancement"
    Right after prompt #3 (where the search elements are entered seperated by a "/")
    place the contents of cmd(31) into search string #6 (if it isn't already in use)
    Ignore the 6th search element when doing line matching if it is equal to cmd(31)
    display the 6th search element in the alternate color used for cmd(31)

If none of you can do it. I show you how. Come ON. Make a change to the most powerful program on the Planet. SS Desktop Search.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

If none of you can do it. I show you how. Come ON. Make a change to the most powerful program on the Planet. SS Desktop Search.

OK, I admit it, I can't do it. Show me how- step by step instructions, please, on how I install and use your software, and what it'll actually do for me...

I would prefer my instructions in the form of a numbered list, for example:

1) Download installer package from www.spectateswamp.com/download

2) Double-click install.exe and follow the onscreen prompts

3) Note down the contents of the BSOD, swear loudly, and power-cycle installation machine

4) Locate Windows XP installation disk

5) Insert XP disk following boot failure, and restart machine

6) Follow onscreen prompts to reformat primary disk drive and re-install XP

7) Goto 1) 

• I don't think you quite understand.  You say that with SS I won't need any other software (a DB, webserver etc).  So instead of spending money on SAP and taking time to convert, we're just going to install 200 copies of SS.  From your explanation, I can be assured that SS can generate quotes for my customers (since it will replace that software etc)

But if that doesn't work, we'll just export ALL of our ERP records to a single flat text file....that will make workflow so much better

• Poor SAP's need Spectate Swamp to Audit

I do understand. SS is the only piece of software the masses need. It's equally important for those of you that are up to your eyeballs, bit fiddling.
    If you want to be in control of your project bring your gang up for the half day course. The first half of the day will be spent tramping around in the local bush. You will find out how to share notes on the project and how to audit the SAP system totals

Single flat files transfer data faster than round files.

This afternoon we went tramping around Groat Creek

lost trappers cabin on groat creek.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4968294503149129045

• Swampy, how do you share notes?

For a project, for instance, we use SharePoint.  From my Desktop Search, I can search anything on my computer and anything in the SharePoint sites we use.  We share documents, presentations, source code, spreadsheets, ...

How would you go about this?

• Found via a gmail advert.

A relation of Spectate Swamp perhaps?

• I just ran into that a couple days ago and thought of this.  It actually has some interesting ideas, but WHAT THE FUCKING HELL is up with the 12 panes of file browsers?  They actually advertise it like it's a good feature, not a badly-designed cluttered UI nightmare for seeing multiple folders at once. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

replaces tabs with spaces ... removes multiple spaces ... beginning and end of each data line ... few characters from the start of the word and ... the end of the word.

It required I spend 3 days.

Change it to take out the GoTo's and you will be a hero.

Search for one or more item of whitespace: m/\s+/.

Search for something at the beginning or end of the line: m/^some/i or m/thing$/i.

Known spelling: "testing": if ($the_whole_hard_drive =~ m/\b(testing)\b/i) { ... }

Unknown spelling: "failure": if ($the_whole_bloody_hard_drive =~ m/\b(fai[^\n\s]*ure)\b/i { ... }

In both cases the word to highlight is in $1. It can be changed in-place by changing 'm/.../i' to 's/.../<highlight>$1<\/highlight>/i'. Highlighting can then be stripped with 's/<\/?highlight>//g'.

Do I get a cookie?

• ♿ (Parody)

@SpectateSwamp said:

If you want to be in control of your project bring your gang up for the half day course.

This does not sound like the sort of boondoggle that anyone I know would be interested in. 

• Desktop Search a catalyst to Sharing

@wooter said:

Swampy, how do you share notes?

For a project, for instance, we use SharePoint.  From my Desktop Search, I can search anything on my computer and anything in the SharePoint sites we use.  We share documents, presentations, source code, spreadsheets, ...

How would you go about this?

Careful what you Share. My work notes and email were all there to share. My personal stuff might need some editing. Ie removing phone numbers etc.

I'd share my notes at work in a similar way as sharing source code. Dump your latest into a folder somewhere along with everybody elses notes and a quick merge of those files into ONE on your local drive if you like. Search that time and again without bumping heads with other searches. Or busy networks.

SharePoint sounds nice. Sharing and all. Can it do extracts, random or video?

Presentations. A quick video with the expert can get the job done as well. It doesn't have to be professional quality to get the message across. Far far more powerful than any non video presentation. This app can do navigation in presentations. Way more fun than following the same routine everytime.

Spreadsheets. (Wrote one in 1974) To share spreadsheets. I'd do the same I did with exceptions and errors. A quick screen capture to jpg. Use paint to circle or otherwise hi-lite the important aspect of the screen. Catalog the spreadsheet details in a txt file. moving the catalog to the common area each update. When people have this much control over what they share. They will share more. If they get to keep a home copy of their shared info. They will share even more. Sharing is a 2 way street. Always has been.

With source in 1 large file it is easy to take home. as well screen captures don't require the originating software to be there. That's sharing.

Of course there is the security issues. Forget them. Unless you make everyone check their celphones at the desk. Yourself included.

• Swampies need ChZEROHag

@ChZEROHag said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

replaces tabs with spaces ... removes multiple spaces ... beginning and end of each data line ... few characters from the start of the word and ... the end of the word.

It required I spend 3 days.

Change it to take out the GoTo's and you will be a hero.

Search for one or more item of whitespace: m/\s+/.

Search for something at the beginning or end of the line: m/^some/i or m/thing$/i.

Known spelling: "testing": if ($the_whole_hard_drive =~ m/\b(testing)\b/i) { ... }

Unknown spelling: "failure": if ($the_whole_bloody_hard_drive =~ m/\b(fai[^\n\s]*ure)\b/i { ... }

In both cases the word to highlight is in $1. It can be changed in-place by changing 'm/.../i' to 's/.../<highlight>$1<\/highlight>/i'. Highlighting can then be stripped with 's/<\/?highlight>//g'.

Do I get a cookie?

You'll get more than a cookie if you make the SS Desktop Search ShowDown Team. A t-shirt or 10. (we have lots)

Your knowledge of search seems pretty good. We could use more people with your helpful attitude.

• Spectate Swamp needs a better modem

due to poor modem duplicate SORRY

• Boondoggle maybe; but a FUN one

@boomzilla said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

If you want to be in control of your project bring your gang up for the half day course.

This does not sound like the sort of boondoggle that anyone I know would be interested in. 

boomzilla if you have read my posts on channel9 and here. Then the 1/2 day session could be cut to 1/2 hour. The rest of the day could be spent tramping around looking for Dinosaur skin (I found some) Videoing wildlife (we got lots) or some other fun local activity. Boondoggle maybe; but a FUN one.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I believe it unfortunately does not have these most important features.

• Spectate Swamp not lacking

@TDC said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

It shouldn't be hard for them to add. You can see what it takes by using the search.exe to search the source.txt files for the logic behind the xxx option at prompt #2 (extract) and the random logic "rand" or "randa" (random video file selection & random start point in that video)

Use this app where sharepoint is lacking.

When you have the source code. There is no gun to your head. The data and files are finally yours.

• Spectate - You always talk about your ridiculous concepts being more 'portable'.

Can I ask how it is different for you to copy one large file, or one directory with many files in it to another computer? Is dragging a directory to a disk hard than dragging a file?

I would argue that the directory approach would be easier anyway, since you DON'T actually use one file. You use at least two.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@TDC said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

It shouldn't be hard for them to add. You can see what it takes by using the search.exe to search the source.txt files for the logic behind the xxx option at prompt #2 (extract) and the random logic "rand" or "randa" (random video file selection & random start point in that video)

Use this app where sharepoint is lacking.

When you have the source code. There is no gun to your head. The data and files are finally yours.

I suggest you send your source.txt to the Microsoft SharePoint Team and ask them to integrate the extract, random and video features.

Seriously. Somebody have a spare Swamp-Proof sarcasm detector?

• @tdittmar said:

It doesn't have random video search, so why would he use it?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

When you have the source code. There is no gun to your head.

No, but it makes you wish there would be one.

• Oh, by the way - may I suggest a new name for the so called "search"? As Spectate Swamp seems to think that it is equal if not better than Microsoft SharePoint - how about something that has "Point" in it? As "SharePoint" is already taken and "Pointless" does not sound "enterprisey" (no CamelCase possible), how about "NoPoint"? I can already see the splash screen:

Spectate Swamp

NoPoint

To boldly go where nobody ever wanted to go before.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Careful what you Share. My work notes and email were all there to share. My personal stuff might need some editing. Ie removing phone numbers etc.

Sharepoint uses multiple layers of very robust security. The data is not open, it's intranet (and extranet) stuff. Not only that, you can even restrict what level of access the people who CAN get in have, for example "only Swamp gets to view the phone number.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Dump your latest into a folder somewhere along with everybody elses notes and a quick merge of those files into ONE on your local drive if you like. Search that time and again without bumping heads with other searches. Or busy networks.

One problem with that - you said this is how you'd share the data - how is it shared if it's just on your local hard drive and not on a "busy network"? And are you seriously suggesting that people should just merge the entire codebase which makes up their development projects into ONE FILE? Example: Linux is about 55 million lines of code.  Would you suggest the whole thing be merged into one file for "easier sharing"? That thing wouldn't compile... 

@SpectateSwamp said:

It's an intranet service, and it can have video and photos embedded in it, along with HEAPS more metadata (captions, categories, tags) than your program ever could handle. Random could be handled by a custom sharepoint add-on, if it was REALLY desired (and it'd probably take me 10 minutes to develop if I knew how to develop for SharePoint, really). It can provide all kinds of "extracts" as you call them of your data, too. 

@SpectateSwamp said:

Presentations. A quick video with the expert can get the job done as well. It doesn't have to be professional quality to get the message across. Far far more powerful than any non video presentation. This app can do navigation in presentations. Way more fun than following the same routine everytime.

An unprofessional video will certainly NOT communicate a message better than a professionally-designed slideshow, especially not to a large audience. Your app can NOT do navigation in presentations, and can you imagine a presentation where the speaker had to say "uh, now the program's jumped to a random point, so I'll start reading those notes... oh wait, its gone back, where was I..."? 

@SpectateSwamp said:

Spreadsheets. (Wrote one in 1974) To share spreadsheets. I'd do the same I did with exceptions and errors. A quick screen capture to jpg. Use paint to circle or otherwise hi-lite the important aspect of the screen. Catalog the spreadsheet details in a txt file. moving the catalog to the common area each update. When people have this much control over what they share. They will share more. If they get to keep a home copy of their shared info. They will share even more. Sharing is a 2 way street. Always has been.

You lose the functionality of the spreadsheet if you export the data as text. The power of spreadsheets is being able to manipulate the data, work with it and see live changes. Your idea is absurd, because if people just kept their spreadsheets as text they might as well just use tables in Word to do formatting of the data. And FYI, Excel has excellent formatting features. You don't need to "use paint to... hi-light the important aspect...", you just change the font on the field in question. You may find this hard to believe, but spreadsheets have changed just a little since 1974. 

Last I checked, just about anyone can "keep a home copy" of their shared info - yes, even if its in Excel files (there are at least two free programs that will allow you to open spreadsheets if you don't have Excel). As for corporate things... not all files should be "home copies".  Some files shouldn't leave. Imagine what would happen if I decided to take home databases of, say, student information from the school I work at?

@SpectateSwamp said:

With source in 1 large file it is easy to take home. as well screen captures don't require the originating software to be there. That's sharing.

I want you to answer this hypothetical situation for me.

Let's say I'm in a team of 3 people working on some code for a program. I'm working on the data storage side of it, another guy is writing functions and the third guy is working on the interface. Simple enough? For argument's sake we'll say it's a command line program. 

So we follow your advice and merge everything into one giant text file. Now, because the code's all in a text file, we all just open it in Notepad. Still with me? I make some changes to the code between lines 55 and 2000. The other guys change lines 1900 to 2150 and 2180 to 3000, respectively.

How exactly is my team supposed to test the code we've worked on with everything in this single giant file? Are we supposed to just sit and manually copy and paste bits back together? What if we make a mistake? What if the file is on a network share and one person saves over another person's work? 

@SpectateSwamp said:

Of course there is the security issues. Forget them. Unless you make everyone check their celphones at the desk. Yourself included.

You can't just "forget" security issues. There are laws requiring some of them, and when the technology exists to SOLVE the security issues, "forget them" just won't pass. 

• Random == Excitement

@tdittmar said:

I suggest you send your source.txt to the Microsoft SharePoint Team and ask them to integrate the extract, random and video features.

Everyone with interesting video and pics can understand the need for random. 500Gig disks sequentially. Boooo

• @SpectateSwamp said:

That is the funniest thing I've read all day. :D (Maybe only because I haven't read the rest of the thread.) It makes me wonder if the flat files are stored on a slightly convex disk resting on the back of four huge elephants.

• @NSCoder said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    That is the funniest thing I've read all day. :D (Maybe only because I haven't read the rest of the thread.) It makes me wonder if the flat files are stored on a slightly convex disk resting on the back of four huge elephants.
    Wasn't it four large disks on the back of one elephant? I only read the wikipedia page so i might be wrong.

• @Lingerance said:

Wasn't it four large disks on the back of one elephant? I only read the wikipedia page so i might be wrong.

Wow - there's a Wikipedia page on SwampSearch already? S**t - next thing you know, MS will be incorporating it into Vista '09 ...

• Data Security inhibits Sharing

@elgate said:

Sharepoint uses multiple layers of very robust security. The data is not open, it's intranet (and extranet) stuff. Not only that, you can even restrict what level of access the people who CAN get in have, for example "only Swamp gets to view the phone number.

Security for the masses is a good backup. Don't EVER put confidential info on the computer. Never ever.

@elgate said:

One problem with that - you said this is how you'd share the data - how is it shared if it's just on your local hard drive and not on a "busy network"? And are you seriously suggesting that people should just merge the entire codebase which makes up their development projects into ONE FILE? Example: Linux is about 55 million lines of code.  Would you suggest the whole thing be merged into one file for "easier sharing"? That thing wouldn't compile...

55 million lines isn't too big 3 maybe 4 Gig. At 20,000,000 cps and faster the first match will be up on the screen fast. Keep a copy of that on your local PC. If you need a source module. Book it out and change it as required.

@elgate said:

It's an intranet service, and it can have video and photos embedded in it, along with HEAPS more metadata (captions, categories, tags) than your program ever could handle. Random could be handled by a custom sharepoint add-on, if it was REALLY desired (and it'd probably take me 10 minutes to develop if I knew how to develop for SharePoint, really). It can provide all kinds of "extracts" as you call them of your data, too. 

This search can have many lines of metadata for each file / picture / video or song. Random is what takes the bordom out of playing  your best video, music and pics. They do extracts. That's great.

@elgate said:

An unprofessional video will certainly NOT communicate a message better than a professionally-designed slideshow, especially not to a large audience. Your app can NOT do navigation in presentations, and can you imagine a presentation where the speaker had to say "uh, now the program's jumped to a random point, so I'll start reading those notes... oh wait, its gone back, where was I..."?

the navigation is when the audience is more interested in one branch of he course than another. Give them some input. Spending too much time on presentations is a waste of time. That's why so few get done. Everybody is like this group. Missing the message while nit picking the minute details.

@elgate said:

You lose the functionality of the spreadsheet if you export the data as text. The power of spreadsheets is being able to manipulate the data, work with it and see live changes. Your idea is absurd, because if people just kept their spreadsheets as text they might as well just use tables in Word to do formatting of the data. And FYI, Excel has excellent formatting features. You don't need to "use paint to... hi-light the important aspect...", you just change the font on the field in question. You may find this hard to believe, but spreadsheets have changed just a little since 1974. 

Last I checked, just about anyone can "keep a home copy" of their shared info - yes, even if its in Excel files (there are at least two free programs that will allow you to open spreadsheets if you don't have Excel). As for corporate things... not all files should be "home copies".  Some files shouldn't leave. Imagine what would happen if I decided to take home databases of, say, student information from the school I work at?

Most spreadsheets are never changed or better not be if they are month end type reports. I don't say get rid of the original. But make screen captures of them that can easily be displayed randomly as a refresher. Student info should be on a lone computer in a back room. The rest of it should be fair game and open for use.

@elgate said:

I want you to answer this hypothetical situation for me.

Let's say I'm in a team of 3 people working on some code for a program. I'm working on the data storage side of it, another guy is writing functions and the third guy is working on the interface. Simple enough? For argument's sake we'll say it's a command line program.

So we follow your advice and merge everything into one giant text file. Now, because the code's all in a text file, we all just open it in Notepad. Still with me? I make some changes to the code between lines 55 and 2000. The other guys change lines 1900 to 2150 and 2180 to 3000, respectively.

How exactly is my team supposed to test the code we've worked on with everything in this single giant file? Are we supposed to just sit and manually copy and paste bits back together? What if we make a mistake? What if the file is on a network share and one person saves over another person's work?

Just use the large merge file to search out the various code elements. When you find logic that needs changes. Book out the function and make changes as per usual.

@elgate said:

You can't just "forget" security issues. There are laws requiring some of them, and when the technology exists to SOLVE the security issues, "forget them" just won't pass.

Nobody has solved secutiry issues yet. All they seem to do is prevent people from betting at their data. Security inhibits portability.

Good points though. Compared to some of the other Guru's

• @Benn said:

@Lingerance said:

Wow - there's a Wikipedia page on SwampSearch already? S**t - next thing you know, MS will be incorporating it into Vista '09 ...

I was referring to a book actually, as the post I was quoting was as well, I believe it was called diskworld. I was also incorrect.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

boomzilla if you have read my posts on channel9 and here. Then the 1/2 day session could be cut to 1/2 hour. The rest of the day could be spent tramping around looking for Dinosaur skin (I found some) Videoing wildlife (we got lots) or some other fun local activity. Boondoggle maybe; but a FUN one.

I suppose you found some snake oil too? 

If I get my time machine working, we can go back and replace DOS with SSDS!

• Vista NEEDS Spectate Swamp Search.

@Benn said:

@Lingerance said:

They should put it in Vista. With the source out now. They have only a 2 maybe 3 months lead on Mac and Linux. If they try and clean up the code as some suggest. Add another 3 months.

• @Lingerance said:

@NSCoder said:
    @SpectateSwamp said:

Spectate Swamp Search: It's turtles, all the way down! 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

They should put it in Vista. With the source out now. They have only a 2 maybe 3 months lead on Mac and Linux. If they try and clean up the code as some suggest. Add another 3 months.

Look, I hate to disappoint you, but there isn't a way to run your search on anything but Windows. There is no Visual Basic interpreter or compiler for the other platforms. Yes, there is some emulation possible with wine, but it would be very confusing for the user. The only way to get this to work on Mac or Linux is a complete rewrite.

s/hate/love/g

Does this program run on Vista as is? I was fairly sure VB5 was 16-bit, and therefore wouldn't execute under Vista. 

• @elgate said:

Does this program run on Vista as is? I was fairly sure VB5 was 16-bit, and therefore wouldn't execute under Vista. 

VB5 is 32-bit... IIRC, the last 16-bit version was VB3, and VB4 could generate both 16- and 32-bit code.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

55 million lines isn't too big 3 maybe 4 Gig. At 20,000,000 cps and faster the first match will be up on the screen fast. Keep a copy of that on your local PC. If you need a source module. Book it out and change it as required.

I happened to have the source code for Linux 2.6.23 lying around, so I ran a test:

/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.23$ time rgrep something .
    ... 2000 boring results ...
    real 2m24.243s
    user 0m0.304s
    sys 0m1.432s

This is how long your unindexed search will take to scan all of Linux's 300MB, if you're lucky. If I needed to actually find something, 2 and a half minutes is unacceptable, and I happen to have an extremely fast computer. Searching an index would be insanely faster. For example, finding a file:

Without using an index:

$ time find / -name '*something*'
    ... 3 boring results ...
    real 10m15.254s
    user 0m2.292s
    sys 0m12.961s

And with:

$ time locate something
    ... 3 boring results ...
    real 0m0.277s
    user 0m0.276s
    sys 0m0.004s

In our universe, 0.3 seconds is a lot faster than 10 minutes.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Everyone with interesting video and pics can understand the need for random. 500Gig disks sequentially. Boooo

Sorry, but I have 250GB + 80GB hard drives and don't understand your need for "random" at all. Even if I wanted randomness:

Random tracks? Amarok (my favorite music player), or any other music player, takes care of it.

Random video? I'm not much into watching video on my PC, watch mostly online streams, but Kaffeine or MPlayer would take care of that.

Random images? It shouldn't be very hard to use find + rl (a very nice utility to randomize lines from stdin) + any image viewer. In fact, this does it:  display `find Photos/ -iname "*.jpg" | rl -c 1`.

And this could be expanded to pretty much ANY file type. 

Pretty much any of your "randomness" can be done with UNIX utilities. So much for your "search".