Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?

• I really hope MPS will keep this thread running... I really got used to this adorable bearded swamp creature... I would miss him so much if this thread died...

I beg you, MPS! Don't let that happen!!

Besides, I like the idea of the dungeon underneath the Swamp Shack. Maybe he'll collect all the SSDS deniers there. And let them eat each other. Or starve. Or first one, then the other.

• SSDS & NotePad very close

@Benn said:

then do (usually) CTRL + End
    I love that Ctrl/end

I was assuming you didn't have the source.txt file in your sights. I'm talking from the desktop with nothing running. double clicking on the file is fast but you have to have found it visually. But I guess you could have your 5 or 6 files sitting there. Under these circumstances it would be very close. Very close.

@Benn said:

how do you then add to / edit them? Let me guess - in Notepad?

I seldom edit the files. But do add. with the 'e' option. A date and time stamp can automatically be inserted.

I do rely on notepad to do minor amounts of editing. The 'ch' option passes the file named in prompt #1 to notepad to open.

If I have mass editing to do I use the 'rrr' (search and replace) option.

• What do "ww", "ch" and "rrr" stand for?

• SSDS more than a NotePad - Much more

@derula said:

What do "ww", "ch" and "rrr" stand for?

'ww' is a screen saver search mode.

'ch' opens the file with NotePad  I seldom use this one.

'rrr' search and replace. If I load my 5000+ family pics in a different folder I use it to make the quick change.

SSDS can do all the standard search stuff. I should be emphasising the OTHER stuff "f" for flash, export, sub searches

Search returning url's and email addresses for use in browsers and email systems. No need to video the more common search uses.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

SSDS can do all the standard search stuff. I should be emphasising the OTHER stuff "f" for flash, export, sub searches

Search returning url's and email addresses for use in browsers and email systems. No need to video the more common search uses.

Standard stuff apart from searching a filesystem for files that is. 

You had your chance to prove yourself and chose not to accept the challenge you had been asking for, just like you never produced a video showing how to do any of the things people actually wanted to see. You have lost the 'showdown' by default and most of us no longer care what you think of SSDS, we certainly do not need more of your pointless videos being plugged on these forums.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@derula said:

'rrr' search and replace. If I load my 5000+ family pics in a different folder I use it to make the quick change.

Yeah, I know what they do. But what do they mean?

• SSDS needs YOU

@derula said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

@derula said:

Yeah, I know what they do. But what do they mean?

Means that I spent as much time in comming up with command names as the Guy that discovered GREP

'ss' was the 'or' Screen Saver search. When I needed another for the 'and'. 'ss' was already used so I took 2 keys nearby 'ww' (ww used way more than ss)

'ch' is for CHange file which is the command used to open and edit a text file using NotePad (very seldom used)

'rrr' is for Replace Replace Replace this utility is really good at replacing text in large files. (seldom used)

At the time they were not that important. As time passed. I had put the commands into control files and other templates. Then changing them to something more meaningful  wasn't so easy or quick. A good Skin will change all that. Help Help Help

I should get back to my CamCorder. There are a couple demos showing the fun way this search keeps you in touch with your data. Random, BackGrounder, Search as a Spell-Checker. The navigation capabilities was the last main feature added. The idea was to put up a splash page with the options listed (1 thru 10max) Then based on the selection. (ie Skip ahead, skip back, take turn 1, 2, 3 , Beginning,,,) See the source.txt "24 November 2004" or "OPTION==" logic. I have done very little testing on this and will provide a template. Similar to the DVD autorun of random questions. (change the text in BACKGRD3.txt to make it yours) By providing a couple more simple uses, I may, just may get people looking a little deeper and trying some of the entertaining and useful features. Improving Search in their own way.

Swamp Shack ain't so bad.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Random, BackGrounder, Search as a Spell-Checker.

Yeah, after all, who the f2k needs highly complex spell checking algorithms when you just can check the spelling randomly? That spell checker would be able to morph every sane and coherent sentence into Swampling Speech.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Means that I spent as much time in comming up with command names as the Guy that discovered GREP

[G]lobal search for [R]egular [E]xpressions and [P]rint

I tell you what - why don't you get back to us when you've implemented RegEx'es? DFA or NFA - don't care, but it'd bring SSDS up to about the level of 1976...

•  And don't forget, Doug, we are talking about my dad here.  The Common Man.  The man who cannot be bothered to learn how to use GREP, nor to use SSDS.

• SSDS timer Broke!

The pause entry at prompt #2 makes it a textual screen saver.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7060921935075488561

The program needs a better timer function at 'line_30316' in the source. It doesn't allow for short delays like 1/1000 after each character print. More like 1/100 delay is the shortest? Doing a demo does cause minor bugs to surface.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt

•  No-one cares, and no-one's going to fix your bugs for you. It's Desktop Search Showdown or nothing, and you've chosen nothing.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

The pause entry at prompt #2 makes it a textual screen saver.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7060921935075488561

The program needs a better timer function at 'line_30316' in the source. It doesn't allow for short delays like 1/1000 after each character print. More like 1/100 delay is the shortest? Doing a demo does cause minor bugs to surface.

hahaha that was terrible

either do the showdown [you wont, you know you wont win] or  go away.

re. OP, no-one realises the importance of ssds to the masses because    THAT IMPORTANCE DOES NOT EXIST YOU DELUDED FOOL

• SSDS runs with Indexers

@jakkle said:

hahaha that was terrible

Yup. I have my standards to keep.

I would like to see somebody do a demo of random music play and selection. Some brave soul that isn't worried about the Net Legals, who will try and help those so egregiously injured, by your music theft. Watch out people here will report you.

Video in the screen playing music. It's the music that is important. Somebody give it a try.

SSDS is the only Desktop Search that isn't an Either/Or Search. This one does not conflict with the "Indexers" This is the ONLY 1 they will tolerate.

You don't have to give up your precious ??? Search

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I would like to see somebody do a demo of random music play and selection. Some brave soul that isn't worried about the Net Legals, who will try and help those so egregiously injured, by your music theft. Watch out people here will report you.

Video in the screen playing music. It's the music that is important. Somebody give it a try.

SSDS is the only Desktop Search that isn't an Either/Or Search. This one does not conflict with the "Indexers" This is the ONLY 1 they will tolerate.

None of that makes ANY sense. Learn to use the English language.

No one is going to do demos for you. We can't be bothered to learn all of the arcane commands we'd need to accomplish anything with your "search". It's just not worth the time.

To everyone else: Check out Swamp's utterly pointless, yet still hilarious, video of a large round rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0OEKxaFUig  I swear, his videos would be the most boring thing in the world if it weren't for the inanity of the commentary: "It's very round". Pure comedic genius.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Amarok can play random songs from your entire collection, among other things. Can SSDS do type as you find? Ill take that as no. Is the swamp a reference to the codebase?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

by your music theft.

Not all countries consider file sharing as "theft". 

• @Renan_S2 said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    by your music theft.
    Not all countries consider file sharing as "theft".
    Also not all music that is downloaded from the internet is non-free. I believe I have 3 GB of music from Legal Torrents, which is currently down. I would make a video of random music playing, but mpd makes for a lousy visual.

• SSDS runs with Indexers and over EM

@Lingerance said:

I would make a video of random music playing

Please please do. Don't get in trouble for copyright music. The 'gf' option at prompt #2 will do the catalog of mp3. Anyway I can do another bad video explaining it. The video demo will have to be of random-random mpg. Because this data is everybody's. Using Cam Studio might be better for this application, rather than videoing in the screen?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@Lingerance said:
    I would make a video of random music playing
    Please please do.
    Somehow you managed to miss the entire point of my post.

If Linux+ is as boring as it usually is I might consider actually making two videos (one of SSDS and one of MPD). Although I think I should really be finishing Linux from scratch instead. Although I am curious to try this thing out, since I'll be building a vanilla XP Pro VM, is there any special programs I need to download first to run this? If so links would be much appreciated.

For those curious; the full title of my Linux+ course is "Linux+: An introduction to Linux", as I have already been using Linux 8 years I find the course to be ample time to read BOFH and other various non-scholarly things.

• This thread finally sold me to the idea of Desktop Search. I installed it, and lo and behold, I'm much happier!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7K2TDF8LLI]My happy desktop search engine![/url] (The Real WTF® is that I posted an already very blurry half-resolution video to YouTube which lowers the resolution even more. Oh well =)

Operates extremely well and doesn't use many system resources at all! A very nice program indeed, and it has made my life tremendously easy now. Searching through gigabytes of stuff in my home directory has never been easier!

• SSDS as a Reader

@Lingerance said:

Somehow you managed to miss the entire point of my post.
    Missing the point seems to happen a lot in this thread. I'm even getting confused. And Dammit I'm clued in on Desktop Search.

@Lingerance said:

there any special programs I need to download first to run this? If so links would be much appreciated.

The exe is at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe

the source is there too

The start up. On first run it seems to jam up a bit. because it creates a few files and probably doesn't close one or 2. I don't know. But anyway at prompt #2 enter 'x' to exit out. Then start it again. It should be fine.

@Lingerance said:

the full title of my Linux+ course is "Linux+: An introduction to Linux",
    What an opportunity to use SSDS as a note and screen capture player. Do screen captures of the Linux stuff that fascinates you. Draw big RED blobs near the important detail. When a jpg like that shows up in the random display, you can use the 'p' (Previous) option to display back 40 results.

@Lingerance said:

read BOFH and other various non-scholarly things

Not being much of a reader or music listener I haven't really tested out all the features. Like what font size and timing would I like to see in extra large scrolling text. What colors. If you do lots of reading from the net. Grab a copy and paste using the 'z' option at prompt #2 ('z' means put it at the end of the file) being that 'z' is at the end of the alphabet. Isn't it? What a great reader utility this is. Random is fun to try even with text.

• SSDS lessons Tiring

@WWWWolf said:

This thread finally sold me to the idea of Desktop Search. I installed it, and lo and behold, I'm much happier! My happy desktop search engine! (The Real WTF® is that I posted an already very blurry half-resolution video to YouTube which lowers the resolution even more. Oh well =) Operates extremely well and doesn't use many system resources at all! A very nice program indeed, and it has made my life tremendously easy now. Searching through gigabytes of stuff in my home directory has never been easier!

I'm getting worn down too. I'll keep doing the odd dumb video showing all the features of our Search. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'll keep doing the odd dumb video showing all the features of our Search. 

That should read "... all the features of my search". Nobody apart from you's using it. The Swampies are all in your head! 

• ♿ (Parody)

@Lingerance said:

I would make a video of random music playing, but mpd makes for a lousy visual.

When has that ever stopped anyone in this thread? 

• @WWWWolf said:

My happy desktop search engine!

Sorry - you fail at blurry video. There's no mumbling, no camera shake, and I can't see the sides of your monitor once. You could have at least put it through a Photoshop filter to add some fake reflections or something...

• @Benn said:

@WWWWolf said:
    My happy desktop search engine!

Sorry - you fail at blurry video. There's no mumbling, no camera shake, and I can't see the sides of your monitor once. You could have at least put it through a Photoshop filter to add some fake reflections or something...

weep But I don't have a camcorder! This challenge is entirely unfair! Can't I use some things that most users use, such as a crappy webcam (if I can find drivers for it that actually build, and find a capture app that doesn't freak out)? I mean, average user is not expected to have a camcorder!

• @WWWWolf said:

But I don't have a camcorder!

And that - as the Swampling would say - is The Real WTF(tm)! 

@WWWWolf said:

I mean, average user is not expected to have a camcorder!

Have you read this thread? Having a camcorder is ALL that's expected from the average user! That's the whole point of computing and the sole purpose computers are built for!! If you can't find a driver for your webcam, maybe you should just go ahead and buy a camcorder. Maybe that's really what you should do anyway - unless you can take your webcam outside when crawling through bushes videoing squirrel dens. You could still, however, take your webcam to your local government meetings and piss people off there...

Please ask the Swampling for further documentation videos on how to do video correctly. Otherwise you'd not be authorized to use Desktop Search or your PC ever again. 

(EDIT) PS: When uploading your stuff to YouTube, please use frames to make it more secure! You remember? Frames securely mediate, by design. Secure multi-mediation is the future of all webbing.

• @WWWWolf said:

weep But I don't have a camcorder! This challenge is entirely unfair!

Like I said, there must be plugins that'll do this - a combination of the "BlairWitch" screen-jiggle, some lens-flare and a "monitor surround" framing device. Maybe somebody fancies knocking together the complete "SwampyCam" filter.

As an aside, has anybody seen Swampy's Fan Club ? How sad is that? Friends : None. Fans : None...

• @Benn said:

As an aside, has anybody seen Swampy's Fan Club ?

I get a laugh out of "I was YellowHead" bit, given that his avatar has a distinctly yellow cast to it. Dunno why running for office in a political riding should be a claim to fame. Any moron can do so with a bit of paperwork and a few bucks down (refunded if you get over a certain % of votes).

I'm fairly certain Swampie was out a few bucks after the election. 

• @Benn said:

As an aside, has anybody seen Swampy's Fan Club ? How sad is that? Friends : None. Fans : None...

And once more he reminds my of the Swampling from Simon the Sorcerer. I wonder if Swampy knows how to cook Swamp Soup. 

• SSDS is no JOke

@MarcB said:

I get a laugh out of "I was YellowHead" bit, given that his avatar has a distinctly yellow cast to it.

A small part of the 93 election forum. Even more laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKwxLB6jO54

Yellowhead was the last riding in Canada. I came in LAST. If you are going to be last be VERY last.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I came in LAST. If you are going to be last be VERY last.
    I guess that explains your ranking in the Great Desktop Search Showdown of 2008.

HINT: you failed so miserably, even the LAST place entrants surpassed you. 

• @Balthazaar said:

HINT: you failed so miserably, even the LAST place entrants surpassed you.

He failed so miserably that he didn't even compete. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@MarcB said:

I get a laugh out of "I was YellowHead" bit, given that his avatar has a distinctly yellow cast to it.

Yellowhead was the last riding in Canada. I came in LAST. If you are going to be last be VERY last.

Now that i have seen SS in all his glory, i am never going to the shack... not that i would have before

Of course you didnt get into office you were accusing the others of corruption and unfairness! 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@MarcB said:

Well. This confirms it. Spectate IS really this retarded. He is real. And he is this trollish in real life, not just online.

It is official: I have lost all faith in humanity.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Last place with what, 1 vote from the person who ran the camcorder?

TRWTF is that this video was made by using a camcorder to record the TV playing a tape. It's only too bad that there wasn't a wooden wall behind it.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@jakkle said:

hahaha that was terrible

Yup. I have my standards to keep.

Hey, swampie. Tough luck on losing the showdown.

Here's a demo of random music play:

For the record, I own all those CDs. (For the sharp-eyed, the duplicates are due to an issue with CDDB not fetching the information for one of the CDs correctly; I need to fix that).

@SpectateSwamp said:

I could run Spotlight and Google Desktop Seach at the same time on this computer no problems, and I can't see any reason (or find anything online) to suggest that you couldn't run, say, Windows Desktop Search and Google Desktop Search on the same computer.

By the way, I installed Windows Desktop Search for Windows Server 2003 on a server at work (for the hell of it), and had an index of about 300GB of data generated within 4 hours. The index took up about 1GB and search results were returned in about a quarter second. From the moment I pressed the start button, to the moment the file I wanted was open, took about 4 seconds. How do you think SSDS would compare to that?

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

It is official: I have lost all faith in humanity.

The real crisis of faith is that 209 people voted for the guy.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

SSDS is the only Desktop Search that isn't an Either/Or Search.

What makes you think W/GDS are "Or" searchers? Try it sometime. Type in half a dozen keywords, and the only results you will get are the files that contain ALL of the keywords. In other words, they're an "AND" search. "OR" search is nearly useless in most realworld cases unless you're searching for particular set phrases, and not simple keywords. "P or Q" will have much more false results than "P and Q".

Can SSDS do something like "(P and (Q or R or not(S)))? No, it can't.

How about your music collection? Your photos? You have to manually index those. What if you make a typo on one of your "field" tags? What if you type "Navember 3rd" instead of "November 3rd"? SSDS will never ever find that entry, unless you make exactly the same typo during your "search".  Maybe you've got more videos of you chasing a mouse around a field, but you'll never find them, because they're listed as being "moose" videos. That grouse? Oops, it's vanished, because you labelled it "groose".

Random won't "find" it either, because the odds of any one file in a set of many many thousands has a very low chance of popping up. And since you like popping up 20-30 things a second, you won't ever see the the typo either, because it'll have flashed by without you ever being able to read the text. You probably wouldn't even see the picture of video flash by, because it flashes by faster than your eye can see.

Whatever gave you the idea that being able to hold down the enter key to flash through 4000 results in a few seconds is useful? It's not search if you don't ever read the results. You don't read your results. You can't. You just flash through them all and claim it's fast. So what... I can hold up a paperback and rifle through all 300 or 400 pages in a couple seconds. Doesn't mean I "read" the book, or found the quote I was looking for. All I've done is turn the paperback into a very cheap and very poor quality fan for a few seconds.

Yoiu haven't accomplished search, you've just doubld the size of the problem. Now you're not just scanning a file for whatever keywords you wanted, you now also have to scan your results to find the keywords you were scanning for in the first place. Now you have to video your search results and play it back in slo-mo so you can try and read whatever flashed up on screen.

But... wait... you can't read what's on screen in the video, because the quality is so low. Now you've tripled the size of the problem. You need to improve SSDS so it can clean up the video so it's legible. 

• @MarcB said:

You need to improve SSDS so it can clean up the video so it's legible. 

I'd say he should improve ssds by DELETING IT. 

• A few minutes ago, after looking at the wikipedia election results I typed "doug pederson" into google - I froze in horror as the words "<font size="-1">Results 1 - 100 of about 19,800 for "doug pederson" " hove into view...</font>

He can't be that famous & he isn't  - luckily there's a Green Bay Packers quarterback with the same name - I wonder if the quarterback realises he has a scary namesake. He should watch out, or one day he could wake up in the SwampShack.... (inspires a mental image of the shack in The Evil Dead)

• Bad video comming.

@MarcB said:

What makes you think W/GDS are "Or" searchers? Try it sometime. Type in half a dozen keywords, and the only results you will get are the files that contain ALL of the keywords. In other words, they're an "AND" search. "OR" search is nearly useless in most realworld cases unless you're searching for particular set phrases, and not simple keywords. "P or Q" will have much more false results than "P and Q".

Sorry again. You are right about OR being nearly useless. I was being smart again and I got you off on the wrong foot. I meant that SSDS could run with or without other indexer systems. Indexers end up indexing the other indexers indexes. Could tie up the system. Maybe I should try 2 of them at a time?

@MarcB said:

Can SSDS do something like "(P and (Q or R or not(S)))? No, it can't.

That question is making me dizzy

@MarcB said:

How about your music collection? Your photos? You have to manually index those. What if you make a typo on one of your "field" tags? What if you type "Navember 3rd" instead of "November 3rd"? SSDS will never ever find that entry, unless you make exactly the same typo during your "search".  Maybe you've got more videos of you chasing a mouse around a field, but you'll never find them, because they're listed as being "moose" videos. That grouse? Oops, it's vanished, because you labelled it "groose".

See all your video clips in 2 second segments. Far far better than any little tiny tiny thumbnail representing the video.

'thumb' at prompt #2 will play a song or video for the number of seconds in the 'tt?' setting. I quick to play 2 or 3 seconds from every video I have. Nothing is lost. Do the same with all your songs. Random makes both video and music ROCK. 

@MarcB said:

picture of video flash by, because it flashes by faster than your eye can see.
      Any faster than 1/10 second display is too fast.

@MarcB said:

Whatever gave you the idea that being able to hold down the enter key to flash through 4000 results in a few seconds is useful? It's not search if you don't ever read the results. You don't read your results. You can't. You just flash through them all and claim it's fast. So what... I can hold up a paperback and rifle through all 300 or 400 pages in a couple seconds. Doesn't mean I "read" the book, or found the quote I was looking for. All I've done is turn the paperback into a very cheap and very poor quality fan for a few seconds.

I was just Gee Hawing you with the holding the finger down. That is the thing with this program. Hold down the enter once and a while see what it does.

Instead of holding the 'enter' key down. Use the 'pause' command at prompt #2 set the 'tt.1' will cause the displays to pause 1/10 second before displaying the next results screen. Check it out.

@MarcB said:

Yoiu haven't accomplished search, you've just doubld the size of the problem. Now you're not just scanning a file for whatever keywords you wanted, you now also have to scan your results to find the keywords you were scanning for in the first place. Now you have to video your search results and play it back in slo-mo so you can try and read whatever flashed up on screen.
    I did do that once. The error was flashing up on the screen so fast I couldn't see it. I used my camcorder and slow-motion to find out what it was.

@MarcB said:

But... wait... you can't read what's on screen in the video, because the quality is so low. Now you've tripled the size of the problem. You need to improve SSDS so it can clean up the video so it's legible. 
    Sometimes messing with the video brings out more detail. slows things down for better examination. Try it you'll like it. Example Slow motion of an ants nest. (no ants were injured) These critters move too quickly to follow. Slow them down and enjoy watching the activity.

• Videos will show SSDS features.

@elgate said:

Hey, swampie. Tough luck on losing the showdown. Here's a demo of random music play: http://screencast.com/t/gV8Dhn1Ev

Some showdown. The first requirement was to download files for 2 days. 20 hrs per Gig and a 2.?? Gig file. I'd sooner watch paint dry. I do like the video demo. No better way to duke it out, than with video.

@elgate said:

I could run Spotlight and Google Desktop Seach at the same time on this computer no problems, and I can't see any reason (or find anything online) to suggest that you couldn't run, say, Windows Desktop Search and Google Desktop Search on the same computer. By the way, I installed Windows Desktop Search for Windows Server 2003 on a server at work (for the hell of it), and had an index of about 300GB of data generated within 4 hours. The index took up about 1GB and search results were returned in about a quarter second. From the moment I pressed the start button, to the moment the file I wanted was open, took about 4 seconds. How do you think SSDS would compare to that?
    wouldn't they be indexing each others indexes. No individual has 300GB  of textual data. Companies maybe. That is 100 lifetimes reading. No Way.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

wouldn't they be indexing each others indexes.

Nope.

@SpectateSwamp said:

No individual has 300GB  of textual data.

Nope. But we all do have at least that in other media. 

@SpectateSwamp said:

That is 100 lifetimes reading. No Way.

Sucks being wrong huh?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Some showdown. The first requirement was to download files for 2 days. 20 hrs per Gig and a 2.?? Gig file. I'd sooner watch paint dry. I do like the video demo. No better way to duke it out, than with video.

The file was a large amount of text based data that would simulate reasonably well what a lot of developers would be dealing with and more importantly it is a set of files that have a known standard source so everyone is using the same test data. A couple of gigs of data isn't really that much with most modern broadband providers these days anyway.The whole point of the showdown was all interested parties would video (or preferably screen capture) the stepsand times etc. required to perform some standard searches.

You have been asking on several forums for a showdown and every time a challenge is laid down that isn't exactly what you want you simply choose not to partake, in other words you fail, lose, do not win, do not prove your case and forfeit your right to keep promoting SSDS and making these unfounded claims.

Any decent search tool will allow you to configure which files are indexed and default to sensible directories anyway, therefore indexing each others indexes isn't a realistic problem.

300GB of data, not always textual data, word docs, powerpoint slides, images, videos, source code, emails etc all add up and 300GB isn't too unrealistic an amount. Maybe not many individuals have that amount but as time moves forward it is more and more likely.

Either prove yourself in the challenge you asked for or go away. You ceased to be an interesting / amusing diversion when you refused the challenge and although your videos are laughable it just isn't the same...

• @spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

The file was a large amount of text based data that would simulate reasonably well what a lot of developers would be dealing with and more importantly it is a set of files that have a known standard source so everyone is using the same test data. A couple of gigs of data isn't really that much with most modern broadband providers these days anyway.The whole point of the showdown was all interested parties would video (or preferably screen capture) the stepsand times etc. required to perform some standard searches.

You have been asking on several forums for a showdown and every time a challenge is laid down that isn't exactly what you want you simply choose not to partake, in other words you fail, lose, do not win, do not prove your case and forfeit your right to keep promoting SSDS and making these unfounded claims.

Any decent search tool will allow you to configure which files are indexed and default to sensible directories anyway, therefore indexing each others indexes isn't a realistic problem.

300GB of data, not always textual data, word docs, powerpoint slides, images, videos, source code, emails etc all add up and 300GB isn't too unrealistic an amount. Maybe not many individuals have that amount but as time moves forward it is more and more likely.

Either prove yourself in the challenge you asked for or go away. You ceased to be an interesting / amusing diversion when you refused the challenge and although your videos are laughable it just isn't the same...

Agreed.

• @spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

<snip />

spenk, I totally agree with what you say.

But... I'm also very curious about what Mister Swamp would like to see as a fair set of rules to which all desktop search engine could reasonably be compaired against in the Showdown Of The Century.

PS. This is by far the best (and only) soap opera I ever watched continuously :-).

• @Tommie said:

I'm also very curious about what Mister Swamp would like to see as a fair set of rules to which all desktop search engine could reasonably be compaired against in the Showdown Of The Century.

You can't tell from the rest of this thread? Obviously his criteria for Desktop Search applications would be playing random video, music, and displaying random pictures...

• @Tommie said:

But... I'm also very curious about what Mister Swamp would like to see as a fair set of rules to which all desktop search engine could reasonably be compaired against in the Showdown Of The Century.

inmail.txt <blah blah>  SSDS <blah> index = bad <blah> telco<blah blah> random is fun <blah blah> only takes half a day to learn <blah> merge <blah> .tt <blah>