Documentation to be provided later

• I use Borland's StarTeam 2005R2 (because my customer makes me...). I recently consulted the help on how to do something. I was confronted with their own interactive help system heavily based on JavaScript and whatnot, as you see here (click images for full-size views):

Star Team Help

Clicking on "Overview of Security Strategies" gives me this.

Subtopic1 

Oops. Seems they forgot to write that article. They left some boilerplate in. I wonder how much boilerplate they left in. Searching for "SubTopic1 Title" in their help produces:

Subtopic1 search

Around 150 results. Looks like there's a whole lot of documentation that didn't get written in R1 or R2. Thankfully, in 2006R2 they have abandoned this help system.

• Borland makes great software products. (Yeah really.) Everything is self-explanatory, they need no documentation.

• This is standard operating procedure for Borland.  I think the last product of Borland's that actually had complete documentation was Turbo Pascal 7.0

Delphi, C++ Builder, J Builder, (all versions)  have all had a ton of bad links in the help docs.  You'd think a company that specialized in software life cycle management tools would recognize that complete (or near complete) documentation is actually a part of that life cycle...

Personally, I'd like to see everyone move to a similar documentation style of php (php.net), which is arguably the only thing that group got right.

• @clively said:

Delphi, C++ Builder, J Builder, (all versions)  have all had a ton of bad links in the help docs.  You'd think a company that specialized in software life cycle management tools would recognize that complete (or near complete) documentation is actually a part of that life cycle...

Not to mention that, for example, C++B 6 and Delphi 7 still have their documentation in WinHelp. Heck, WinHelp in the year 2002 is just... Brillant. Grrr, Borland.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.