Wtf is "western age"?



  • This is from a survey I just took:






  • And just for reference, google is a wonderful thing... you should try it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=western+age



  • Interesting.  Never knew that.

    So they're asking for an approximate generalization of your specific age, as opposed to a generalization of your general age. 



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_age_reckoning

     

     Thanks. I've never seen the phrase "Western age" used anywhere, and I guess neither have most Westerners. This survey is not targeted at Asians, so who would've thought such "clarification" makes any sense?

     



  • @apetrov87 said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_age_reckoning

     

     Thanks. I've never seen the phrase "Western age" used anywhere, and I guess neither have most Westerners. This survey is not targeted at Asians, so who would've thought such "clarification" makes any sense?

     

    I have heard of it through my dealings in and with China and Asia...I don't expect everyone to know about it...

    But I had to heckle you for posting a question such as this to a forum, without a simple Google search.

    STFW!



  • I can never figure out my age in any reasonable amount of time, so I generally just give a quick approximation that's probably in line with Eastern age.  "Oh, it's 2008 and  was born in 1983.  That means I'm 2008-1983=25 years old".  It'll be true in 3 months and some change, but it's close enough.



  • @apetrov87 said:

    Thanks. I've never seen the phrase "Western age" used anywhere, and I guess neither have most Westerners. This survey is not targeted at Asians, so who would've thought such "clarification" makes any sense?

    My guess is that the survey was written by Asians, who would have needed the clarification for themselves, but didn't realize it wouldn't be needed by their audience.



  • @hunter9000 said:

    My guess is that the survey was written by Asians, who would have needed the clarification for themselves, but didn't realize it wouldn't be needed by their audience.

    You're right: the survey was about digital cameras, so it must've been written at an Asian camera company.

     



  • @vt_mruhlin said:

    I can never figure out my age in any reasonable amount of time, so I generally just give a quick approximation that's probably in line with Eastern age.  "Oh, it's 2008 and  was born in 1983.  That means I'm 2008-1983=25 years old".  It'll be true in 3 months and some change, but it's close enough.

    Haha, I do the exact same thing. And I really do mean exact, since I was also born in 1893, and it'll also be true in 3 months and some change. Scary!



  • @rbowes said:

    @vt_mruhlin said:

    I can never figure out my age in any reasonable amount of time, so I generally just give a quick approximation that's probably in line with Eastern age.  "Oh, it's 2008 and  was born in 1983.  That means I'm 2008-1983=25 years old".  It'll be true in 3 months and some change, but it's close enough.

    Haha, I do the exact same thing. And I really do mean exact, since I was also born in 1893, and it'll also be true in 3 months and some change. Scary!

    Dude, if you're 114 years old and want to pretend you're 115 years old, I'm not going to argue with you about it.



  • @rbowes said:

    @vt_mruhlin said:

    I can never figure out my age in any reasonable amount of time, so I generally just give a quick approximation that's probably in line with Eastern age.  "Oh, it's 2008 and  was born in 1983.  That means I'm 2008-1983=25 years old".  It'll be true in 3 months and some change, but it's close enough.

    Haha, I do the exact same thing. And I really do mean exact, since I was also born in 1893, and it'll also be true in 3 months and some change. Scary!

    So do I O_O . Really scary... 

    /me looks past peoples typos... I make too many of them myself to point the finger... 



  • I think after we pass 21, only the decades count.



  • @clively said:

    I think after we pass 21, only the decades count.

    Very true, if by "count" you mean that they are looked forward to. 

    Unless you're trying to get senior discounts or social security checks.
     



  • @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    And just for reference, google is a wonderful thing... you should try it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=western+age

    This thread is the first result in that search.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @plazmo said:

    @MasterPlanSoftware said:

    And just for reference, google is a wonderful thing... you should try it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=western+age

    This thread is the first result in that search.

    IME, this is not unusual. In such a short space of time.

    I know of another message board that Google trawls more than once a day, and 'unusual' queries result in the thread that prompted me to make the inital search appearing at #1. 

    The most recent on the other message board it was a phone number ("who is <phone number> they didn't leave a message" type thing. Googling for the phone number produced that thread at #1, despite it being posted <4 hrs previously.)

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.