I think I found a bug...

• Here's the result of me messing with the disk quota settings in Windows Vista.  As the screenshot shows, pressing the disk quota button in the properties dialog brings up another properties dialog with only the Quota tab...and the same button.  Of course, pressing this button does the exact same thing...  If it just plain didn't work it wouldn't be a WTF, but I thought this was pretty funny.

[URL=http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtf5ey5.png][IMG]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9876/wtf5ey5.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

• Meh, to be expected from a beta product, despite it being market not as such I will consider Vista and all future windows releases beta releases. That being said vista actually exceeded my expectations, UAC is actually decent, could be better though.

Yes, there is a reason my text isn't orange.

• @burntfuse said:

If it just plain didn't work it wouldn't be a WTF ...

In what way do you consider it to work? :)

• Haha, well, it "works" a bit more than if pressing the button did absolutely nothing, which would be boring.  This way, at least I get the never ending path of dialogs ("But maybe if I press this one it'll do something...").

• You are a bit pessimistic about Vista, aren't you?

Yust keep pressing that button, sooner or later it will work.

• @tray said:

You are a bit pessimistic about Vista, aren't you?

Yust keep pressing that button, sooner or later it will work.

Or you'll die and no longer desire to alter the quota settings. Either way the problem will be gone. 

• Image isn't working, can you provide a different link?

• Sure, I have no idea why imageshack's link stopped working...

[URL=http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtf5xe4.png][IMG]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1817/wtf5xe4.th.png[/IMG][/URL] 

• @burntfuse said:

Here's the result of me messing with the disk quota settings in Windows Vista.  As the screenshot shows, pressing the disk quota button in the properties dialog brings up another properties dialog with only the Quota tab...and the same button.  Of course, pressing this button does the exact same thing...  If it just plain didn't work it wouldn't be a WTF, but I thought this was pretty funny.

[URL=http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtf5ey5.png][IMG]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9876/wtf5ey5.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

So did you report this bug to MS or just reported it here?

I always find it funny when I am working with other people in the company and they go about different ways of using the software.  When I ask them why they say to get around a bug, when I ask them why they don't submit the bug to be fixed I usually get a variety of responses.

• @RandomPoster said:

I always find it funny when I am working with other people in the company and they go about different ways of using the software.  When I ask them why they say to get around a bug, when I ask them why they don't submit the bug to be fixed I usually get a variety of responses.

Usually there's a sense of futility involved in submitting a bug to a big software company. Or a small one. I used TB's crash reporter a couple of times, but stopped after a while even though the bug kept showing its face every now and then (in case you're interested: TB performs a crash exit *sometimes* when renewing the preview pane on selecting a different message. VS crash reporter says it's a Floating Point error. How specific.).

I do click the "Submit Report" button often when an MS product fails. But it remains a shot in the dark: you don't get any sort of real feedback.

• @RandomPoster said:

MS ignore all bug reports that do not originate from people on the "Enterprise" licensing program.

• @asuffield said:

@RandomPoster said:

MS ignore all bug reports that do not originate from people on the "Enterprise" licensing program.

I would think they ignore almost all bug reports, period. They don't have an easy way to submit actual bug reports aside from the "Tell Microsoft about this problem" dialog, and 99.999% of such error reports are caused by crappy programs or spyware, not actual MS products. (Except, of course, where the poorly written program that crashed happened to be Word.)

• @asuffield said:

@RandomPoster said:

That is just plain BS.

Sign up, use the products, submit half-way rational, sane bug reports and requests and you might get back some responses.

Do many bugs stay at the bottom of the priority list? Yes.

Do many bugs simply get canned responses? Yes.

But if you want Microsoft to listen to a bug, connect is the way to go. There are many bugs that are worked through at personal levels by actual developers.

As far as the 'Submit this error to MS' button? Did you really expect to get a personalized response? Privacy issues anyone?

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

Yawn, old news, if you aren't on the Enterprise licensing program or some other figure of significant PR attention then your reports will get ignored. Yes, they do know which ones their Enterprise customers are. It's exactly the same damn thing they've been doing for the past ten years, on a new website. All they've done is rebrand it.

And like every other MS "community" website, it has been seeded with a number of shills to make it look more functional than it is.

• @asuffield said:

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

Yawn, old news, if you aren't on the Enterprise licensing program or some other figure of significant PR attention then your reports will get ignored. Yes, they do know which ones their Enterprise customers are. It's exactly the same damn thing they've been doing for the past ten years, on a new website. All they've done is rebrand it.

And like every other MS "community" website, it has been seeded with a number of shills to make it look more functional than it is.

That is simplly untrue. I have had many issues worked on by me and Microsoft developers over the years since .NET 1.1 where I recieved personal, detailed responses. I am not an 'Enterprise customer'.

Again, they are a big company and they have to filter a LOT of shit from people. If you want to help with an issue, and you want to see the developers react, write detailed, articulate reports and submit them. Eventually you will get through.

Also, yes they would give higher priority to 'Enterprise' customers. These are the customers who in general have responsible, professional IT staff that can help them with detailed logs, experiences, etc. When they have a customer with 4,000 machines around the world you will find MS developers and project mangers dropping direct personal lines, and asking "How did that last patch go?".

I know I wouldn't expect any different. That is just good business.

That is simplly untrue. I have had many issues worked on by me and Microsoft developers over the years since .NET 1.1 where I recieved personal, detailed responses. I am not an 'Enterprise customer'.

Dude.  You're not going with the intellectually lazy "blame Microsoft" route.  And as we know, good programmers are lazy.  What is wrong with you?

• @Liquid Egg Product said:

Dude.  You're not going with the intellectually lazy "blame Microsoft" route.  And as we know, good programmers are lazy.  What is wrong with you?

I agree with you.

Although I have always taken some comfort that programmers may be lazy, but hopefully not INTELLECTUALLY lazy.

I will admit some things I have seen on this site have made me wonder though.

I have had many issues worked on by me and Microsoft developers over the years since .NET 1.1 where I recieved personal, detailed responses. I am not an 'Enterprise customer'.

But you were paid to write that message. 

If you want to help with an issue, and you want to see the developers react, write detailed, articulate reports and submit them. Eventually you will get through.

No, you really won't.

• @asuffield said:

I have had many issues worked on by me and Microsoft developers over the years since .NET 1.1 where I recieved personal, detailed responses. I am not an 'Enterprise customer'.

But you were paid to write that message. 

If you want to help with an issue, and you want to see the developers react, write detailed, articulate reports and submit them. Eventually you will get through.

No, you really won't.

My experience directly contradicts your statement of fact.

• Well I hadn't reported it to Microsoft, but that's because I honestly didn't even know that Microsoft had a system of reporting bugs besides the "Send error report" button on crash dialogs.  Even though I don't need to use disk quotas, I'll try reporting it and seeing what happens.

• Well, I went to connect.microsoft.com, but couldn't find the "connection" I wanted at http://connect.microsoft.com/availableconnections.aspx.  Seems like there aren't any for just Windows Vista.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

• @burntfuse said:

Well, I went to connect.microsoft.com, but couldn't find the "connection" I wanted at http://connect.microsoft.com/availableconnections.aspx.  Seems like there aren't any for just Windows Vista.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Connect is for applications that are still in beta, and are still looking for feedback.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1992&SiteID=17

Should be the Vista forum. See if anyone else has had the issue, and if not, let 'her rip.

You ARE running SP1 right?

SP1 doesn't exist yet, it's still in beta. Go away, shill. 

• @asuffield said:

SP1 doesn't exist yet, it's still in beta. Go away, shill. 

Really?

Good humor detector old man.