Php/mysql vs VB/asp.net for web game

• okay i have this game i've designed the engine for, and i have the data laying around waiting for entry. it would work well as a psuedo mmorpg online, similar to kingdom of loathing (www.kingdomofloathing.com). Now, it appears they use php/mysql...

In visualstudio, it allows you to build pages (i think) that act like windows applications. This would let me port code fairly easily, on top of not needing to learn a new programming language that loads of people here say is a bastard child (php).

My third option would be to just write a .net application that handles everything and then dynamically displays the pages upon requests. I have a decent amount of experience doing this, as i ran a friend's website on a similar system.

I really like the layout of the kingdom of loathing site though, so if that can only be accomplished with php i guess i'll buckle down. What do you all think? anyone have any personal examples of sites designed with different languages/platforms?

• Old shoe or glass bottle?

• @asuffield said:

Old shoe or glass bottle?

I see, sort of, what you are trying to say. What "tools" should i be using? it appears like some sites use asp and some use php. still others use x.cgi?this=that&blah=foo

i'm fairly willing to learn new languages to make this an interactive web thing (the engine runs in a windows form right now, it used to run as a console app when i did it in java a year or two ago).

we're talking static images and a database of items, npcs, locations, etc that could each be a flat file or a mysql database. I'm wondering if anyone's had experience in this area of webdesign, and if php is the way to go, cool.

I figured you'd respond, btw. :-D 

• Go with your strength, personally that would mean php/perl/python with mysql. I wouldn't suggest using that "nice" feature of asp.net of making a site that behaves like a windows app, apparently they like to throw in alot of bloated non-standard html (according to what I've read from other posts, I have no experience with it myself). Also there is a library available for php/mysql that does what you want, I will link to it when I find it again. I'd be interessted in helping if it is done in python or php.

• @Lingerance said:

Go with your strength, personally that would mean php/perl/python with mysql. I wouldn't suggest using that "nice" feature of asp.net of making a site that behaves like a windows app, apparently they like to throw in alot of bloated non-standard html (according to what I've read from other posts, I have no experience with it myself). Also there is a library available for php/mysql that does what you want, I will link to it when I find it again. I'd be interessted in helping if it is done in python or php.

Yah, of course. System is fairly robust, but simple enough to implement server side. Should be fun (except for filling in the database... )

• @GeneWitch said:

What "tools" should i be using?

we're talking static images and a database of items, npcs, locations, etc that could each be a flat file or a mysql database.

Ruby on rails. Probably in under a thousand lines of code.

• @GeneWitch said:

I really like the layout of the kingdom of loathing site though, so if that can only be accomplished with php i guess i'll buckle down. What do you all think? anyone have any personal examples of sites designed with different languages/platforms? 

I hope you realize that each and every possible layout and behaviour in HTML+CSS+JavaScript can be made in almost any programming language you want or have at your disposal. Frameworks, on the other hand, typically reduce the range of possibilities (at least if you use them the way they are meant to be used).

• @asuffield said:

@GeneWitch said:

What "tools" should i be using?

we're talking static images and a database of items, npcs, locations, etc that could each be a flat file or a mysql database.

Ruby on rails. Probably in under a thousand lines of code.

sounds hot, i'm gunna go check that out. And make sure my apache is workin with python, as well. TY: ammoQ and Asuffield!

• Ok RoR is really hot. i'm gunna be playing with it for the rest of the day. Thanks asuffield!

• For the record, while I wouldn't use it for anything complicated, there really isn't anything better than ruby on rails for hammering out this kind of simple web/database stuff. If what you're doing is not much more than turning SQL query output into HTML, it makes the job disgustingly simple.

For more intensive text-processing problems (wiki-like stuff, etcetera), there's perl and catalyst. For anything else, you should be rethinking whether it should really be running inside the web server.

• sigh. So i got started on the cookbook tutorail that is linked to (the one that stars CB and Boss and Paul) from the documentation page of ruby on rails' site. I got far through it with some difficulty... started mongrel (as per instant_rails), and nothing worked. dug around in the comments till i realized it was for version 1.8.3, and i am using 2.x. so i downloaded the NEW 2.0 one. Still some issues (scaffolding, but i worked THAT out.).

I did everything in the video as he did it. I changed the names, cause i didn't want to do recipe and category. anyhow my database tables are called Classes and Characters (cute, eh?)..

Both "pages" in the web browser squawk  with the same exact error:

NameError in Characters#index

Showing characters/index.html.erb where line #40 raised:

undefined local variable or method `new_characters_path' for #<ActionView::Base:0x3d33ef4>

Extracted source (around line #40):

37: 
    38: <br />
    39:
    40: <%= link_to 'New characters', new_characters_path %>

and classes fails at the exact same, except it says classes instead of characters.

i spent a long while last night getting comfortable with the ruby language itself, but i don't understand what "new_characters_path" is supposed to point to, 
    and why, if i followed the tutorial for the version i have, it doesn't exist as it should. :-(

I was really excited about this, but this is the third fail. i'm depressed now.