A must-have product

• Saw this ad on an industry trade rag website...

Remote Access for Linux

It's a shame no one's invented X, or SSH, or... waitaminute... 

• It's probably a re-packaging of VNC.

• The great thing about NIH is that there are so many to choose from.

• Of all the ones in the Wikipedia article, there are two proprietary protocols:  ICA (Citrix) and NX.  The remaining solutions are built on VNC or RDP.  XDMCP is obsolete anyway.

• @teqman said:

XDMCP is obsolete anyway.

XDMCP is a thin-terminal protocol, and it's still the most popular solution for the handful of places which actually use thin terminals (which have mostly gone out of style). It is unrelated to the X11-over-SSH that most unix users use to run applications on remote systems (and since that operates in exactly the opposite way to VNC, it will never be replaced by it).

• @teqman said:

[...] two proprietary protocols, [...] The remaining solutions are built on VNC or RDP.

RDP isn't a proprietary Microsoft system?

• @dhromed said:

@teqman said:

[...] two proprietary protocols, [...] The remaining solutions are built on VNC or RDP.

RDP isn't a proprietary Microsoft system?

It's an E&E of T.128. 

• @rgb said:

Saw this ad on an industry trade rag website...

Remote Access for Linux

yeah, but none of them sound vaguely vulgar like "Bomgar" does

btw, the tech dept where I work recently switched to Bomgar from pcAnywhere.  It's much cheaper and they like it a lot better

• @rgb said:

Saw this ad on an industry trade rag website...

Remote Access for Linux

"There's already stuff to do it" never stopped anyone. And it shouldn't. After all, what if people had said to Linus Torvalds "it's a shame no-one has invented Minix, or DOS, or...waitaminute". Doing something that's already been done is a requirement for doing it BETTER.

• Now that, I'll conced.

Still, "remote control" of Linux (or Minix, BSD, SunOS5.10, Darwin whatever they're at) isn't exactly a difficult task. When Linus started his effort, Minix was a lab toy and the other stuff was proprietary and quite costly, relative to GPL... or performed poorly (DOS, again).

Then Linux & BSD both popped up and it's been gravy ever since, unless you count the insistence that I use Redmondware on the machine at the office. At least they let me pen it up in a VM where it's relatively harmless. Oh, which makes _it_ nicely remote-controllable.

In any event, competition improves the breed, even if you stay with your chosen product, which I daresay was your point.