Representative Last-Ten-Lines



  • Speaking of "keeping it simple," I just wanted to share this snippet, really a work of art, that gave me a sense of terrible doom:

                                    Loop
                                End If
                            End With
                        End If
                        Thread.Sleep(0) : Application.DoEvents()
                    Next
                End If
            End If
        End Try

    End Sub 

     



  • Yes, it is the End World as we know it.



  • Reminds me of the end of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.



  • My favorite is the uncaught try block.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    My favorite is the uncaught try block.

    How do you know it is uncaught?  This could be at the end of the finally block of the try. 



  • @KattMan said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    My favorite is the uncaught try block.

    How do you know it is uncaught?  This could be at the end of the finally block of the try. 

    That's possible.  I made some assumptions based on not knowing the language.  In java I would put an // end try  after the curly brace of the try block, then start my catches.  My bad. 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @KattMan said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    My favorite is the uncaught try block.

    How do you know it is uncaught?  This could be at the end of the finally block of the try. 

    That's possible.  I made some assumptions based on not knowing the language.  In java I would put an // end try  after the curly brace of the try block, then start my catches.  My bad. 

    I would love to think this is in the finally. 

    Looping, iterating, decision making to that extent with no other error trapping in what is supposed to be a safe section would take this WTF to another level. 



  • @KattMan said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    @KattMan said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    My favorite is the uncaught try block.

    How do you know it is uncaught?  This could be at the end of the finally block of the try. 

    That's possible.  I made some assumptions based on not knowing the language.  In java I would put an // end try  after the curly brace of the try block, then start my catches.  My bad. 

    I would love to think this is in the finally. 

    Looping, iterating, decision making to that extent with no other error trapping in what is supposed to be a safe section would take this WTF to another level. 

    Ah, there should actually be a catch block with a re-throw in there, and an empty finally block... but I had removed them and was filling in the gaps as I posted the already-corrected code.



  • With that many Endings, it could make it into a Lord of the Rings Extra Extended Edition script!!



  • Poorly written code in VB?  I never thought i'd see the day.

    I've worked on a few legacy VB application and a lot of them have gems like this, i guess you need to get used to it but i find the { }'s alot easier to read in those big nested statements than all the End stuff



  • That doesn't seem all that bad to me, but then the legacy code I work on is pretty horrific.  I'm looking at a function right now that has a cyclomatic complexity of 210, about 2000 lines, and a nesting of 9+.  The nesting is listed as 9+ because the code analysis tool I used stops counting at 9, as no sane person would ever conceive of writing that many nested loops/branchings in a single function.  It also lists the number of code paths as "999999999".  Oh, and did I mention that it has 31 inputs and more than 160 local variables...gack.


     



  • @RayS said:

    With that many Endings, it could make it into a Lord of the Rings Extra Extended Edition script!!

     

    Ahahahahahah. Awesome. 


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.