I assure to ensure to insure you against grammar mistakes.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

And I'm sure there'll be at least one grammar mistake in that title. Anyway - onto someone else whom I'm more sure about:

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh189/PaulJHerring/assureensureinsure.png[/IMG]

The linked article if anyone's interested in picking the bones out of it is http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html . At best I'd describe it as mediocre. It merely lists examples, not explanations, and it doesn't even list assure/ensure/insure.

(I used http://englishinfocus1.googlepages.com/Assure_Ensure_Insure.htm as my reference if anyone wants to pick apart the subject of this post. See also http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/assure.html which, I think, is telling me the same thing, (for people who want them to mean subtly different things.))

Cue another language argument thread...

• A few years ago a top manager at my company sent out a memo concerning some new policy.  It concluded with one of my all time favorite grammar WTFs - "There will be no acceptions to this rule".

• Well I hope you didn't accept the rule!

• Those tab colours are interesting. What do they do?

@dhromed said:

Those tab colours are interesting. What do they do?
    Your comment appeared as a reply to Moocow, but I'm assuming the question was directed at me.

Bugger all.

Well, the colours don't mean anything in particular (though they could be based on URL.)

I just find it easier to pick tabs out if they're different colours rather than all grey. Especially when they're as close as they are in that screenshot.

• @El_Heffe said:

A few years ago a top manager at my company sent out a memo concerning some new policy.  It concluded with one of my all time favorite grammar WTFs - "There will be no acceptions to this rule".

Last year my old company send out a classic blooper that got everyone laughing and made the company look discriminatory towards the older generation, the gem? " Sorry for the incontinence over the weekend"  :-)

• @PJH said:

Your comment appeared as a reply to Moocow, but I'm assuming the question was directed at me.

Threaded views are an awful way to structure a discussion.

@Arancaytar said:

@PJH said:

"YMMV", and it clearly does. I hate the flat view because there's no easily visible 'linkage' between posts.

In fact I hate both views (as implemented on Community Server,) so use them as little as possible, but find the threaded view more useful for when I do actually have to use them.

Threaded views give context to replies that don't quote anything from the parent. Much like dhromed's reply. Which is what threw me a bit, when it didn't appear under my comment.

Most of the time I get the board posts by email to GMail,  which I'm used to now. Threading gets broken sometimes, use of $'s in posts usually fucks up the message, HTML entites are spelt out in subject lines, but for some reason I prefer emails to the actual message board when just reading messages.

It's faster rendering for one thing.

• @Arancaytar said:

@PJH said:

Well, they are when most of us don't use the threaded view. 

• @Arancaytar said:

@PJH said:

I usually hate them, but it's useful on sites like Slashdot that get a ton of replies.