"Creative Terrorism"

•  Story here: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071022/williams2

So let's see...this has gone on since May of 2004...it's STILL awaiting a trial. But, it's being prosecuted under the Patriot Act - the one passed to curb terrorism - so that would imply someone breaking one of those laws would be a threat and treated with priority. With typical government efficiency, it is now 3.5 years and counting...

To make this more interesting, the original story from the LA Times can be found here (but not on the LA Times website): http://www.caedefensefund.org/press/MakingArtaCrime.pdf

However, an update to the story (because it's relevant to the "entertainment" section) can be found on the LA Times website here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-strange9nov09,1,2855250.story?coll=la-entnews-movies&ctrack=1&cset=true 

• @redwizard said:

Story here: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071022/williams2

So let's see...this has gone on since May of 2004...it's STILL awaiting a trial. But, it's being prosecuted under the Patriot Act - the one passed to curb terrorism - so that would imply someone breaking one of those laws would be a threat and treated with priority. With typical government efficiency, it is now 3.5 years and counting...

To make this more interesting, the original story from the LA Times can be found here (but not on the LA Times website): http://www.caedefensefund.org/press/MakingArtaCrime.pdf

However, an update to the story (because it's relevant to the "entertainment" section) can be found on the LA Times website here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-strange9nov09,1,2855250.story?coll=la-entnews-movies&ctrack=1&cset=true 

Is mail fraud considered to be a crime committed by the sender against the recipient?  I thought it could also be the sender (and possibly recipient) against the US government.  (i.e. "No, Mr. Mailman, I'm not mailing a brick of coke to my buddy."  That's a paddlin' if you get caught.) So the whole spiel at the end of the first article about the university not feeling defrauded is kind of a moot point.

Not like I'm the end-all-be-all of WTF content decisions, but this really seems like the sort of thing you should whine about on Digg or MediaMatters or BooHooImAWhineyLiberalWithABlog.com.  You make me sick, [i]Terrorist sympathizer[/i].

• OMG, next they will tell you you can't have cheese at home because it's full of nasty biological elements and you can't drink belgian beer because they contain bacteries (yeast). This poor guy discovers his wife dead and within a week he got prosecuted, seen as a terrorist, gets all his books and computer stole by governement. Very bad day for him. And for other citizen, considering the time and money waste on a stupid common bacteria.

• ♿ (Parody)

Although it doesn't justify the prosecution, I find it amusing that he's being prosecuted for having/using/procuring some harmless stuff at home (please don't look in my fridge!) that he wanted to use for protesting against other harmless stuff.

• Yeast is a fungus, not a bacteria.

But the entire thing is ridiculous, I'd laugh if it weren't serious. The biggest irony is that all this is done in the name of "Democracy".

• @tdammers said:

But the entire thing is ridiculous, I'd laugh if it weren't serious. The biggest irony is that all this is done in the name of "Democracy".

I agree. I really don't like our government right now. Too many rights are being taken away "for our safety". What a bunch of crock. I don't see a difference in our safety level compared to pre-9/11. BUT.. I do see an increase in mass paranoia. Too many people are ready to point the finger at something harmless, including the government itself. In the past, they would've simply asked him what was in the dishes, along with a possible test to see what it was. Now, they'll arrest you if you have powdered sugar on you from being sloppy while eating doughnuts (it could be a biological agent, ya know).

• “Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

I don't see a difference in our safety level compared to pre-9/11. BUT

They've done everything they can to stop there from being another 9/11.  Sure, there have been 6 9/11s in the post-9/11 world, but look at how many there were in the pre-9/11 world.  Clearly the patriot act is working.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

They've done everything they can to stop there from being another 9/11.  Sure, there have been 6 9/11s in the post-9/11 world, but look at how many there were in the pre-9/11 world.  Clearly the patriot act is working.

You're scaring me. Stop it.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Yes, but if you look at the rate of 9/11s pre and post patriot act, aren't we still on a "one a year" trend?  What an ineffective piece of legislature!  My prediction:  We will get another 9/11 next year.

• @belgariontheking said:

Yes, but if you look at the rate of 9/11s pre and post patriot act, aren't we still on a "one a year" trend?  What an ineffective piece of legislature!  My prediction:  We will get another 9/11 next year.

Likewise, look at the rate of "terrorist" related arrests post-9/11. Looks like the only purpose the Act serves is to clog up an already jammed Judicial system.

• @AbbydonKrafts said:

@belgariontheking said:
    Yes, but if you look at the rate of 9/11s pre and post patriot act, aren't we still on a "one a year" trend? What an ineffective piece of legislature! My prediction: We will get another 9/11 next year.

Likewise, look at the rate of "terrorist" related arrests post-9/11. Looks like the only purpose the Act serves is to clog up an already jammed Judicial system.

I'm afraid you've missed the joke.  Or I've missed your continuation of my joke. 

vt_mruhlin (I hope) and I were referring to the actual day, not any act that occurred on that say.  By that standard, there have been immensely more 9/11s before the Patriot Act than after.  We have an 11th of November every year.

@Team America World Police said:

One guy: If we don't do anything, this could be nine eleven times a thousand!

Other guy:  Oh my God!

One guy:  That's right, nine hundred and eleven thousand

@AbbydonKrafts said:

@belgariontheking said:
    Yes, but if you look at the rate of 9/11s pre and post patriot act, aren't we still on a "one a year" trend? What an ineffective piece of legislature! My prediction: We will get another 9/11 next year.

Likewise, look at the rate of "terrorist" related arrests post-9/11. Looks like the only purpose the Act serves is to clog up an already jammed Judicial system.

I'm afraid you've missed the joke.  Or I've missed your continuation of my joke. 

vt_mruhlin (I hope) and I were referring to the actual day, not any act that occurred on that say.  By that standard, there have been immensely more 9/11s before the Patriot Act than after.  We have an 11th of November every year.

@Team America World Police said:

One guy: If we don't do anything, this could be nine eleven times a thousand!

Other guy:  Oh my God!

One guy:  That's right, nine hundred and eleven thousand

umm... last time I checked 9/11 happened in September. Not November.

• For the safety of US citizen, it has been decided that September will now contains 31 days. The day of the week of that 31th day will be the same as the day of the week following September the 10th, same year. At 23:59:59 on September the 10th, all clocks will be fast forwarded of 24hours 2 seconds. To compensate for this, september the 31th will contains 24 hours 1 seconds and the leap second (61th second of last minute of last hour) that is adjusted beween December 31th and January the 1st will be removed. This does not affect the occasional 62th second of December the 31th, 23:59.

• This does not affect the occasional 62th second of December the 31th, 23:59.

62[b]th[/b]?  This, ladies and gentlemen, is not the real WTF (that being the story itself.  That poor man), but comes pretty close.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@MasterPlanSoftware said:

@belgariontheking said:

Perhaps the orange tint in your reply got messed up with the site's DNS entry, or you failed to read the whole post you were replying to.

Belgarion clearly meant to say we have a 9th of November every year.

• @MasterPlanSoftware said:

D'OH 

• @PJH said:

Quite possibly - but, he WAS correct - we do have an 11th November every year (at least until the Patriot Act decides that they're subversive)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@pscs said:

@PJH said:

Quite possibly
    No, most definately.

- but, he WAS correct - we do have an 11th November every year
    We know. But what's that got to do with the reason for my reply? (i.e. correcting the person I was replying to.)

@belgariontheking said:

We have an 11th of November every year.

He was thinking of "nonaeleven." 

• November 11th is Remembrance Day here in Canada, I thought it was Veteran's Day in the USA.

We have an 11th of November every year.

The real WTF is pompous Roman emperors who REDEFINE TIME so that a month effectivelly named "9-ember" is actually the 11th! (to say nothing of 7-ember, 8-ober, and 10-ember). Now there's Management for ya.

You could be wrong, you know, according to some random people on the street! 

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SpK6RipZkMs[/url]

LOL!