Sites that assume you speak a language



  • I am hacked off with sites that assumes from your IP address that you need a particular language and you cannot change it.

     

    Plus also the ones that suppress content - i just need to vpn to a different server in another country to read the content.

     

     Maybe i just need to try using a different internet.

     



  • Suppressing the content may be required by law. Most laws weren't written with the internet in mind, and try explaining to a politician the ideas of remote access. I could be on a computer in the UK, VNCing into a machine in France, from which I am browsing the web using Tor, then I ssh into my server in Japan, and wget a file from a site in Norway that mirrors an ftp server in the USA.

    Assuming that the originating IP determines the language, however, is more than a little bit stupid. Even if it absolutely determined the COUNTRY, ever heard of immigrants?



  • hey, either you learn our language, or you can't use our internets!



  • @m0ffx said:

    Suppressing the content may be required by law. Most laws weren't written with the internet in mind, and try explaining to a politician the ideas of remote access.

    .....

     

     

    Yep - understood that.  I was thinking more of internets that hide products becuase they are not availble in the IP owners area, or when they hide content for sales and marketing reasons.

     
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/home 



  • @Helix said:

    I was thinking more of internets that hide products becuase they are not availble in the IP owners area...

    So how many internets do you use? 



  • The internet that is not down for service....

     

     



  • @Pjotr G said:

    hey, either you learn our language, or you can't use our internets!

    Damn immigrants, filling up our tubes. You can only fit so much into them and after that, no one can use them. 



  • mmmmmm Torrrrrrrrr.

     

    Jumps into cupboard, closes door, and puts on tin hat 



  • Two



  • @m0ffx said:

    Suppressing the content may be required by law. Most laws weren't written with the internet in mind, and try explaining to a politician the ideas of remote access. I could be on a computer in the UK, VNCing into a machine in France, from which I am browsing the web using Tor, then I ssh into my server in Japan, and wget a file from a site in Norway that mirrors an ftp server in the USA.

    And then print it, lay on a wooden table, make a photocopy, fax it (to Kyrgyz Republic), snap it with a cam, scan the photo, insert it into PDF, put it on a web site, and stamp a CAPTCHA on it.



  • @gremlin said:

    @Helix said:

    I was thinking more of internets that hide products becuase they are not availble in the IP owners area...

    So how many internets do you use? 

    Case in point:

    http://www.galaxynortheast.co.uk/article.asp?id=96525 

    <font class="Text"><font color="#c10000">PLEASE NOTE: Due to
    restrictions in our music licences, overseas listeners are not able to
    access the live stream. AOL users will also have difficulties due to
    AOL's IP address registered as another country, in this case the United
    States.
    AOL users should contact AOL to ask if there a work-around to this problem.</font>
    </font>
     



  • PLEASE NOTE: Due to
    restrictions in our music licences, overseas listeners are not able to
    access the live stream. AOL users will also have difficulties due to
    AOL's IP address registered as another country, in this case the United
    States.

    <font class="Text"><font color="#c10000">AOL users should get real internet access already.</font> </font>

     

     

    Fixed that for them. 




  • @PJH said:

    <font class="Text"><font color="#c10000">AOL's IP address registered as another country, in this case the United
    States. </font>
    </font>
     

     Who would have thought America Online might give you an IP address from America?

    / My cable company pretends I'm in seattle, and it annoys me when I go to porn sites.  Why would I want to find a sex partner in Seattle?  Find me one in Houston already!

     



  • Exactly

     

    I am in UK but my IP is swedish..... 



  • @vt_mruhlin said:

    Why would I want to find a sex partner in Seattle?  Find me one in Houston already!

    Subtle hints to move?  I've seen commercials advertising tourism in other cities.  (Gatlinburg, Williamsburg, etc.)  Maybe that's not good enough for them anymore, and they want you to actually move.

    Also, I love that the guy with the Jesus avatar is talking about going to porn sites. 



  • @vt_mruhlin said:

    @PJH said:

    <font class="Text"><font color="#c10000">AOL's IP address registered as another country, in this case the United
    States. </font>
    </font>
     

     Who would have thought America Online might give you an IP address from America?

    / My cable company pretends I'm in seattle, and it annoys me when I go to porn sites.  Why would I want to find a sex partner in Seattle?  Find me one in Houston already!

     

    A friend of mine discovered that living in a small town took all the appeal out of those ads. 

    "Find Hot dates in Three Hills!" 

    When you know everyone in town, and the girl in the picture definitely isn't one of them, the ad just doesn't have the same punch.



  • @Jetts said:

    A friend of mine discovered that living in a small town took all the appeal out of those ads. 

    "Find Hot dates in Three Hills!" 

    When you know everyone in town, and the girl in the picture definitely isn't one of them, the ad just doesn't have the same punch.



    So the issuing center is actually in the town?! My IP makes it look like I live in a city that's an hour away even though I live in a "small town".


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.