Way to turn BSOD off..

• While lurking in a hardware forum I ran across this gem:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=159699

• I loved this reply:

q56_monster: Isn't there a way to tell windows not to shut off on BSOD?

Csimbi: Probably the same way one turns off the tax system.

• Do they really all need to give every stat available for their system?

Let's see, do I start at the bottom with 4MHz or at the top with 2GHz? Or maybe they want to know about all my switches and routers?

Some seemed thrilled to have a CD and a floppy drive, so maybe they want a list of all my cd, dvd, floppy, tape, other kind of tape, usb flash and printer/scanner combo. My camera has a SD card of some description. Do we include things in the cupboard which aren't in use and perhaps don't work?

I have miles of CAT-5, too.

• @ChZEROHag said:

Do they really all need to give every stat available for their system?

Let's see, do I start at the bottom with 4MHz or at the top with 2GHz? Or maybe they want to know about all my switches and routers?

Some seemed thrilled to have a CD and a floppy drive, so maybe they want a list of all my cd, dvd, floppy, tape, other kind of tape, usb flash and printer/scanner combo. My camera has a SD card of some description. Do we include things in the cupboard which aren't in use and perhaps don't work?

As a newish poster I am now becoming acquainted with the sheer inanity of the forum software. I'm not even going to risk editing the above for fear of what I've seen happen to others.

• @ChZEROHag said:

I have 230V. 

• I have all my computers equipped with cold-swap power supplies.

• @ChZEROHag said:

Yes, I think it's better that way, especially on a hardware forum like that.  Otherwise you get a bunch of posts with no specs at all, that look like "i just got my new mobo.  what should all the bios settings be? plz HELP!"

But sure, some of it is just plain-old bragging or whatever.  But it's the EVGA forums -- that's one place where it's actually appropriate for people like to show off their new systems. 

• EVGA 680i NF68-A1
    Intel Q6600 G0
    MSI 768MB Geforce 8800 Ultra
    Zalman 9700NT CPU Cooler
    2 gb Corsair Dominator RAM
    2x500gb (Raid 1) WD 7200 HD
    1x74gb WD Raptor HD
    1x300gb Seagate IDE HD
    Lite-on 20x DVD
    Floppy Drive
    Silverstone TJ09 Case with 5 fans
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W PSU
    Dell 2707 LCD
    Windows XP Pro SP2

• @purge said:

EVGA 680i NF68-A1
    Intel Q6600 G0
    Zalman 9700NT CPU Cooler
    1x74gb WD Raptor HD
    1x300gb Seagate IDE HD
    Lite-on 20x DVD
    Floppy Drive
    Dell 2707 LCD
    Windows XP Pro SP2

What color is your power cord?

• @purge said:

EVGA 680i NF68-A1
    Intel Q6600 G0
    Zalman 9700NT CPU Cooler
    1x74gb WD Raptor HD
    1x300gb Seagate IDE HD
    Lite-on 20x DVD
    Floppy Drive
    Dell 2707 LCD
    Windows XP Pro SP2

I wonder if the cooking and recipe forums have contributors with sigs like:

LG side-by-side refrigerator/freezer 3000 @ 36F
    GE Electric stove-o-matic  v2.2 w/ 6 burners
    Messermiester 6-pc knife set
    Maple Cutting Board
    Latex Gloves by Gladware
    Cuisinart 10-speed blender
    Mikasa Dishes
    Cascade Dishwasher Soap

• I hate people who wave their system specs around like a giant cock. I don't care what you have in your system. It's invariably gamers who get like that. Until they invent a card you put in your system that actually improves gameplay, it's all nonsense.

And I can tell our friend on that board that he's got bad ram. He can reinstall as much as he wants. It ain't gonna be fixed.

• I'm running 4gb of RAM on Vista 64 ultimate and GeForce 8800GTX with a 22" benq widescreen.

• Is that all? I'm running 16 GB of doubleRAM on Vista 128 Supreme with a GeForce 9999XTZ with a 52-inch plasma display, 12.4-channel surround sound and four octo-core AMD googolflop-capable processors.

• Someone should get the screensaver from this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/BlueScreen.mspx

And install in that guy's machine.

Otherwise, my specs are 100 billion neurons.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

Someone should get the screensaver from this page:

[/quote]

OMG I must have it! 

• @Welbog said:

Is that all? I'm running 16 GB of doubleRAM on Vista 128 Supreme with a GeForce 9999XTZ with a 52-inch plasma display, 12.4-channel surround sound and four octo-core AMD googolflop-capable processors.

My system:
    1.02MHz MOS 6510 processor
    1.0MHz MOS 6502 coprocessor
    64KB Samsung 200ns RAM
    VIC-II graphics
    SID sound
    300RPM 160KB ALPS drive

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Someone should get the screensaver from this page:

Otherwise, my specs are 100 billion neurons.[/quote]Heh, I almost got my coworker to reinstall his Windows when I placed the BSOD screensaver to his Startup group.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

[/quote]

Wow Microsoft have a sense of humour *and* some attention to detail. Now if only they could transfer this to the rest of their code we might get a half-decent end-user OS out of them.

• lol, i like it, i wonder if the guys trying to turn off crashing in his car too.

Yeah i agree with the poster that thinks it's ram, i've had problems like this before, seemingly random BSODs even after reinstalls.  My guess would be that it's the stick in his second slot that's stuffed because he manages to install windows wothout it crashing.

• Like most of the good stuff that comes out of Redmond, this is the result of MS assimilating a third-party. They bought the rights to tech-guru Mark Russinovich's blog and diagnostic utilities, including the BSOD-screensaver.

• @ender said:

[quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Someone should get the screensaver from this page:

Heh, I almost got my coworker to reinstall his Windows when I placed the BSOD screensaver to his Startup group.

[/quote]

I went and did it on all 30 or so computers of a laboratory in a school once. Everybody, students and teachers, used the same account on the domain they used, so all of them would get the pseudo BSOD when they logged in. I never had the guts to check the results the next day, specially since I never studied there and wasn't supposed to even having been there in the first place, but I LOL'ed lots inside.

• @belgariontheking said:

[quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

OMG I must have it! 

[/quote]

If only I had a brain

• @element[0] said:

Yeah i agree with the poster that thinks it's ram, i've had problems like this before, seemingly random BSODs even after reinstalls.  My guess would be that it's the stick in his second slot that's stuffed because he manages to install windows wothout it crashing.

1: That depends on whether his ram is set up in a dual-channel configuration or not. Dual-channel ram sockets are common in motherboards nowadays, and they interleave the ram in each bank (much like a raid-0). If that's the case then the failure could be in the upper half of the first stick. Running ram in dual-channel mode requires much more accurate timings, so some ram needs its timings loosened slightly to work. See also 2.

2: If the ram itself is double-sided, then that could do it too. A lot of cheaper double-sided ram doesn't have the timings set correctly (or isn't produced to the quality the timings they've given it require), and as there's a slight extra delay to access the second side, they end up with read/write errors. This may only show itself in combination with 1, but the solution is the same, replacement or loosening the timings.

3: I also notice that he overclocked. I suspect he's overclocking by increasing the FSB, which affects the ram too, possibly causing the problems 1 and 2. After all, ram timings are measured in clock cycles, so speed up the clock and you might have to loosen the timings to get it to work. He says that his machine passes stress tests easily, but I suspect that he's only running cpu or gfx stress tests, which often gloss over ram errors. He should run memtest86, both before, during and after overclocking, to make sure his ram remains functional.