-8 > -7

• I used to know a guy who had a canadian flag tattoo with a marijuana leaf instead of a maple leaf.  way to go man, keep perpetuating cultural stereotypes.

• Back on topic....  :-P

I once worked with a system manager who wasn't quite up to speed on how the process priorities worked on our computer.  (It was VMS, which prioritizes things from 0 (high) to 16 (low).)  Typical user processes run at 3.  The computers we had were old and rather bogged down, and when the financial people complained, she tried to be helpful by setting their processes "higher" to 5.   When I explained the priorities, she got a funny look on her face (and then went to fix them).  Heh.  (Let's ignore for now, the fact that modifying process priorities usually gains you nothing.  It was still funny.)

And then there was the time when I was working my way through college at a fast food joint.  Went through a series of really bone-headed manager trainees.  One in particular simply couldn't understand how to do the nightly bookwork.  I (after several others) tried to explain it to her, but no matter what I said she couldn't understand how to add +1/4 and -3/8 etc.  ... And they wouldn't let me be a manager because  I was in school and couldn't work full time.  Yeesh!

• @jetcitywoman said:

And then there was the time when I was working my way through college at a fast food joint.  Went through a series of really bone-headed manager trainees.  One in particular simply couldn't understand how to do the nightly bookwork.  I (after several others) tried to explain it to her, but no matter what I said she couldn't understand how to add +1/4 and -3/8 etc.  ... And they wouldn't let me be a manager because  I was in school and couldn't work full time.  Yeesh!

I work in a bank.  I sent the story of the lotto to my coworker next to me who used to work as some sort of Audit Investigator / Trainer for the branches.  She told me one person she was "training" would balance her books at night and always come up with a negative number, which she thought was fine... except that there was always cash in her drawer.  My coworker tried to explain to her (even using pictures!) that you can't have a negative balance with money in your drawer and conclude that you did the calculations right.

Apparently the woman never did get it.

I can't believe these people can actually work in a bank without basic math skills.

-- Seejay

• @belgariontheking said:

@Jetts said:

If most of the people here are the the US, shouldn't we use Rankine for absolute temperature? Kelvin only makes sense to me because I convert it to C as I go.

IIRC, Rankine is like Kelvin (zero being absolute zero), but uses the fahrenheit scale.  Most people don't even know about it unless they're engineers or work with engineers.

Every engineer I've worked with, if they needed to measure temperature on an absolute scale, would use Kelvin. Rankine, like the slug, is viewed as a "me too" wanna-be metric unit.

• -8 is greater than -7, absolutely.

• @Carnildo said:

@belgariontheking said:
    @Jetts said:

If most of the people here are the the US, shouldn't we use Rankine for absolute temperature? Kelvin only makes sense to me because I convert it to C as I go.

IIRC, Rankine is like Kelvin (zero being absolute zero), but uses the fahrenheit scale.  Most people don't even know about it unless they're engineers or work with engineers.

Every engineer I've worked with, if they needed to measure temperature on an absolute scale, would use Kelvin. Rankine, like the slug, is viewed as a "me too" wanna-be metric unit.

The slug is very awkward to work with, but its better than using lbf and having to divide by gravity for no reason. 

• @Jetts said:

@Carnildo said:
    @belgariontheking said:
    @Jetts said:

The slug is very awkward to work with, but its better than using lbf and having to divide by gravity for no reason. 

Pounds force is far easier to use -- you just need to use the correct units. One pound force applied to one pound mass produces an acceleration of one gravity.

• @Carnildo said:

@Jetts said:
    @Carnildo said:
    @belgariontheking said:
    @Jetts said:

Pounds force is far easier to use -- you just need to use the correct units. One pound force applied to one pound mass produces an acceleration of one gravity.

Use SI. One Newton applied to one kilogram produces an acceleration of one metre per second per second. Other than the oddity of the kilogram being the base unit, SI is the most sensible system. SI units are chosen to set constants in basic physical equations as one. (Though not all, Boltzman's constant is not 1, for example)

• @seejay said:

one person she was "training" would balance her books at night and always come up with a negative number, which she thought was fine... except that there was always cash in her drawer.  My coworker tried to explain to her (even using pictures!) that you can't have a negative balance with money in your drawer and conclude that you did the calculations right.

Apparently the woman never did get it.

I can't believe these people can actually work in a bank without basic math skills.

-- Seejay

It was net credit, then, and not profit/loss?

I base my expenditures on income, not on what I already have, so the more interesting number to calculate is what's added or removed in a given time period. An a negative number is certainly a valid answer for that.

• @Kain0_0 said:

Funny here in Oz, we use the metric system, but i know i use feet for hieght, and pounds when refering to fishing line.

I always wondered what measurement units they used in the merry old land of Oz. 

• @jetcitywoman said:

Back on topic....  :-P

I once worked with a system manager who wasn't quite up to speed on how the process priorities worked on our computer.  (It was VMS, which prioritizes things from 0 (high) to 16 (low).)  Typical user processes run at 3.  The computers we had were old and rather bogged down, and when the financial people complained, she tried to be helpful by setting their processes "higher" to 5.   When I explained the priorities, she got a funny look on her face (and then went to fix them).  Heh.  (Let's ignore for now, the fact that modifying process priorities usually gains you nothing.  It was still funny.)

Hopefully your memory is fading, because the lowest priority is indeed 0, not 16.  Typical interactive processes run at 4, batch processes often run at 3.  Setting a job to 5 to keep it ahead of other interactive processes in a CPU-limited situation is a typical strategy.