Saving $300 almost caused a global economic crisis

• Here's an article about a bank that "saved" $300 on a proper script. When the huge system, responsible for almost %20 of the global stock trade collapsed it almost caused a global economic crisis, and a devaluation of the Euro.

• damn, i would hate to be on that team :)

Also i'm guessing the bank in question is interpay (paysquare), since most international transfers get handled by them.

• It was £300, you insensitive clod.

• I must say, the writing style had my hooked.  The part where they "each manned a component" had me imagining gunners in a flying fortress each manning a battle station, hehe.

• @asuffield said:

It was £300, you insensitive clod.

Per year!

My new Dev Manager has just snubbed our plan to buy a £100 remote-controllable (via TCP) powerstrip so we can reboot whenever we want some GSM modems we've got that lock up frequently. They aren't used much, not mission critical for us, but important for one of our customers. I'd probably write a quick script to reboot them every hour or something. Anyway, instead we've got to recode the whole damn system to use an online SMS-sending service, with about 4 more points of failure, and a far higher per-SMS cost. All to save £100.

• @valerion said:

@asuffield said:

Per year!

My new Dev Manager has just snubbed our plan to buy a £100 remote-controllable (via TCP) powerstrip so we can reboot whenever we want some GSM modems we've got that lock up frequently. They aren't used much, not mission critical for us, but important for one of our customers. I'd probably write a quick script to reboot them every hour or something. Anyway, instead we've got to recode the whole damn system to use an online SMS-sending service, with about 4 more points of failure, and a far higher per-SMS cost. All to save £100.

Maybe the dev manager just wanted some new toy to play with? 

• @PSWorx said:

@valerion said:

@asuffield said:

Per year!

No, he's just an idiot. He also had a clever plan to drill holes in a vehicle fuel tank to put sensors in to measure the fuel left... 

• @valerion said:

No, he's just an idiot. He also had a clever plan to drill holes in a vehicle fuel tank to put sensors in to measure the fuel left... 

Did anybody point out that fuel tanks usually come with a hole in them already, for people to put things through? 

• @valerion said:

@PSWorx said:
    @valerion said:

Per year!

Hmm, clearly a Darwin Award Nominee.  If I was you I would have told him to go for it and stood back at a safe distance to watch the fun.