At least it does what it says in a logical way...

• I was browsing some old, old code that I've once written and found this gem.

Honestly, my code wasn't bad, I just didn't know that php had a builtin function for this. Luckily I don't support the code anymore.

Damit, it sure is hard to plain show some code on this forum, i give up, look at the [url=http://mycomunicy.cvs.sourceforge.net/checkout/mycomunicy/main/lib/instr.php?revision=1.2]url[/url] instead.

• No code? So it does ... nothing ... ?

• @henke37 said:

I was browsing some old, old code that I've once written and found this gem.

Honestly, my code wasn't bad, I just didn't know that php had a builtin function for this. Luckily I don't support the code anymore.

Damit, it sure is hard to plain show some code on this forum, i give up, look at the [url=http://mycomunicy.cvs.sourceforge.net/checkout/mycomunicy/main/lib/instr.php?revision=1.2]url[/url] instead.

trying to put the code up myself.  See that wasn't so hard. 

<?php
    function instr($a,$b) {
    for ($i;$i<strlen($a);++$i) {
    if (substr($a,$i,strlen($b))==$b) {
    //echo "ok";
    return true;
    }
    }
    return false;
    }
    //echo instr("abcdef","de");
    ?>

• @henke37 said:

Damit, it sure is hard to plain show some code on this forum, i give up

I just paste the code normally, format a little, then go into the HTML dialog to replace the P with PRE 

• @belgariontheking said:

@henke37 said:

I was browsing some old, old code that I've once written and found this gem. Honestly, my code wasn't bad, I just didn't know that php had a builtin function for this. Luckily I don't support the code anymore. Damit, it sure is hard to plain show some code on this forum, i give up, look at the [url=http://mycomunicy.cvs.sourceforge.net/checkout/mycomunicy/main/lib/instr.php?revision=1.2]url[/url] instead.

<?php
    function instr($a,$b) {
    //echo "ok";
    return true;
    }
    }
    return false;
    }
    ?>

I don't get it...did you write the strlen and substr functions yourself also?

• @savar said:

@belgariontheking said:

<?php
    function instr($a,$b) {
    //echo "ok";
    return true;
    }
    }
    return false;
    }
    ?>

I don't get it...did you write the strlen and substr functions yourself also?

It's a strange kind of blindness while inventing that makes you forehead-slap yourself once you notice it. 

• It even has a performance bug-- the loop needs only to go up to strlen(a) - strlen(b)

• I tend more to the other extreme.  I say to myself, "There has GOT to be a pre-existing way to do this."  And then I wind up bending my data this way and that to shove it through existing routines.